Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

FFA Help Request: 80's Good Guys / Bad Guys?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Calling upon the creative knowledge / creativity of the FFA...

Looking to start up a fantasy league and looks like everything needs to have a theme these days.  We'd be a bunch of mostly mid-40's guys so was trying to think of a theme that would fit but not be too specific / limiting for picking team names.  I figured just picking 80's good guys / bad guys would give alot of leeway to pick movie/tv characters, cartoon characters, video game characters, wrestlers, etc, etc.  

I'd like come up with the names of divisions and playoff brackets, etc to really tie in the theme and designs.  Just for example, could be something like Hall of Justice / Hall of Doom for the good guy and bad guy divisions but maybe something more fun / random.  Would like to incorporate bits of 80's pop culture from all over (movies, tv, cartoons, video games, books, comics, sports, music, commercials, etc, etc) to name the following:

  1. Name of the league
    Ideas so far: Good Guys vs Bad Guys, Heroes vs Villains
  2. Name of the 12 team "good guys" conference.
    Ideas so far: Hall of Justice, Fortress Of Solitude, Castle Grayskull
  3. Name of the 12 team "bad guys" conference.
    Ideas so far: Arkham Asylum, League of Shadows, Rogue's Gallery, Sinister Six(x2),
  4. Name of the "good guys" only playoff bracket and title of champion.
    Ideas so far: The Kumite, All Valley Tournament, Cannonball Run, The Running Man
  5. Name of the "bad guys" only playoff bracket and title of champion.
    Ideas so far: Thunderdome, The Upside Down (kinda 80's) 
  6. Name of the combined "good guys" and "bad guys" playoff bracket and title of champion.
    Ideas so far: The Eliminator (American Gladiators), The Final Countdown, There Can Be Only One!, Jose Cuervo Gold Crown Classic (I may be the only one that gets this but lol)

Don't need fully formed plans, just looking for any ideas, thoughts, at all to get my brain started.

TIA!

Edited by Lehigh98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2021 at 10:05 AM, Mr. Mojo said:

Good guys Conference/Bracket - Crockett&Tubbs (or Miami Vice)

Bad guys Conference/Bracket - Tony Montana (or Scarface)

Thanks, those would be great for team names. 

Need ideas for overarching groups, organizations, character tests/trials that the teams would fall under.

League of Shadows, Rogues Gallery, Hogan's Alley, Trials of Lion-O, etc...

Edited by Lehigh98
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lehigh98 changed the title to 80's Good Guys / Bad Guys?

Are you going to limit the number of good guys and bad guys teams?  It seems you are going for an equal distribution based on your division/bracket/etc divides.  I think that may be problematic unless you are strict on the numbers making everything equal.  I might suggest making it a bit more generic at those top levels so the individual owners aren't limited in their creativity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Gally said:

Are you going to limit the number of good guys and bad guys teams?  It seems you are going for an equal distribution based on your division/bracket/etc divides.  I think that may be problematic unless you are strict on the numbers making everything equal.  I might suggest making it a bit more generic at those top levels so the individual owners aren't limited in their creativity.

12 teams in "Good Guys" conference and 12 teams in "Bad Guys" conference.  I can think of at least double that for each off the top of my head so I don't think it will be a problem.  If there are two that want the same name can flip a coin, or could do a team name draft, or FCFS and you pick your name when you pay for the league.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lehigh98 said:

12 teams in "Good Guys" conference and 12 teams in "Bad Guys" conference.  I can think of at least double that for each off the top of my head so I don't think it will be a problem.  If there are two that want the same name can flip a coin, or could do a team name draft, or FCFS and you pick your name when you pay for the league.  

What if you get 16 guys that want bad guy names and only 8 that want good guy names?  That was more what I was referring to over there being enough of each kind.  I could also see that you wait and monitor which owners are going which way and if you know who the good ones are you swerve and make sure you get in the other conference if one starts to get loaded.  Names don't matter but who your opponents are does...hahahah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Gally said:

What if you get 16 guys that want bad guy names and only 8 that want good guy names?  That was more what I was referring to over there being enough of each kind.  I could also see that you wait and monitor which owners are going which way and if you know who the good ones are you swerve and make sure you get in the other conference if one starts to get loaded.  Names don't matter but who your opponents are does...hahahah

Solution

I see what you're saying but this is pretty low on my list of concerns for trying to start up a new 24 team league.  I could randomly assign if people were good or bad but that may be even more restrictive and/or have more people not get what they want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lehigh98 changed the title to FFA Help Request: 80's Good Guys / Bad Guys?

I like this concept.  I'd go with Superfriends at the league name and then your suggested conferences of "Justice League" and "Legion of Doom".  If there is a loser bracket you could go with something themed along with Wendy/Marvin/Wonderdog or the Wonder Twins/Gleek.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Lehigh98 said:

Thanks, those would be great for team names. 

Need ideas for overarching groups, organizations, character tests/trials that the teams would fall under.

League of Shadows, Rogues Gallery, Scorch Trials, Hogan's Alley, Trials of Lion-O, etc...

P.A.G.A.N.

W.O.P.R.

Chinese Downhill

Thunderdome

Lambda Lambda Lambda

Alpha Betas

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

P.A.G.A.N.

W.O.P.R.

We know that P.A.G.A.N. are the bad guys, but where does the W.O.P.R. sit? I think it figures out that even in game theory, the only winning move is <voice crackles> not to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Battle of Hoth (bad guys win it)

Nakatomi Plaza (bg win it)

Alderan Cup (largest margin of victory bg vs gg)

Opening of the Ark Trophy (largest MOV gg v bg)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MindCrime said:

Autobots / Decepticons

Goonies/ Fratellies

Wolverines/ Evil Russians 

Mogwai/Gremlins

Good ideas but trying to mix things up with the division names.  If I do two sides of the coin like that it seems like that should just be the league theme and then we have to come up with 24 characters from Gremlins for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, E Street Brat said:

John McCain / Hans Gruber

One of these is on my list for potential team names, shhh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just added the following in the top for playoff bracket name ideas:

The Kumite, All Valley Tournament, Cannonball Run, The Running Man

The Eliminator (American Gladiators), The Final Countdown, There Can Be Only One!, Jose Cuervo Gold Crown Classic (I may be the only one that gets this but lol)

Edited by Lehigh98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...