What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sophomore WRs taken after Round 3 of the NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

socrates

Footballguy
The WR class of 2020 was arguably the best receiver class we have ever seen.  Beyond the top tier of talented wideouts, there are many gems.  How would you rank these Sophomore receivers taken outside of the first three rounds for dynasty PPR purposes.  Who else do you have?  Who are you investing in?

Darnell Mooney
Marquez Callaway
Garbriel Davis
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Tyler Johnson
Quez Watkins
Quintez Cephus
Collin Johnson

Thanks to one preseason game, Calloway was grabbed in the 9th of my PPR IDP league, which is bordering on ridiculous, but hey I don't judge. 

I was able to get Mooney & Tee Higgins, who wasn't taken after round 3 in the NFL draft but is a sophomore. :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to one preseason game, Calloway was grabbed in the 9th of my PPR IDP league, which is bordering on ridiculous, but hey I don't judge. 

I was able to get Mooney & Tee Higgins, who wasn't taken after round 3 in the NFL draft but is a sophomore. :)  
Callaway's value is probably hyper-inflated right now, but I must admit, he looked like the real deal. 

I love the duo of Mooney and Higgins.  The future is bright for both of them.

The WR class of 2020 was arguably the best receiver class we have ever seen.  Beyond the top tier of talented wideouts, there are many gems.  How would you rank these Sophomore receivers taken outside of the first three rounds for dynasty PPR purposes.  Who else do you have?  Who are you investing in?

Darnell Mooney
Marquez Callaway
Garbriel Davis
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Tyler Johnson
Quez Watkins
Quintez Cephus
Collin Johnson
I'd add Bryan Edwards. I'll probably be dropping Tyler Johnson in my own dynasty but keeping Edwards/G Davis.

I'd add Bryan Edwards. I'll probably be dropping Tyler Johnson in my own dynasty but keeping Edwards/G Davis.
You are probably right to move on from Tyler Johnson.  He is talented, but he is buried behind a trio of incredible receivers.  His day could be coming, but probably not soon.

Callaway's value is probably hyper-inflated right now, but I must admit, he looked like the real deal. 

yes, but remember, IDP, so 15 linebackers / linemen were picked rounds 5-8. So it’s roughly the equivalent of Calloway going in the 7th. 

I got Mooney in the 16th. I probably shoulda gone RB instead of Higgins, and if I’d known I’d have Mooney/Hardman/Gallup as my WR 4-5-6 I would have. 

agreed. 

ETA: my bad, I wasn't talking dynasty.  I am mad at myself for not holding Quez. I picked him up for $1 FAAB, but he was such a non-factor I dropped him. Naturally now he's blowing up hype-wise. Doh. 

Pretty much how you listed them. I have no Mooney or Davis shares, but I do Callaway, and would probably trade him if a nice offer came my way. Michael Thomas isn't dead, after all. 

I like Peoples-Jones and Tyler, but only if you can stash on taxi or deep rosters. Or maybe that late season pick up, cutting a useless vet you needed during the season. In my deep leagues, I own some of these guys, on the chance that expensive vets in front of them move on. They are both long term lotto tickets, but they have profiles of #1 guys, so I will hold for a year, if I can. Sometimes you can't, you need the roster spot.  

I'm very much interested in how the Callaway story will unfold. One could argue he's over-valued at the moment as easily as the opposite. I'm inclined to say he's a solid buy with the caveat he may never hold proper value. Flaming out early in the season makes him quickly worthless while doing well will only attract low-balls. James Robinson and Myles Gaskin serve as an example of how production will not shape perception appropriately. Adam Thielen was already sort of 'old' by the time everybody acknowledged he was real deal.

Callaway does have the excitement factor going for him which the aforementioned players do not. And everybody loves giant receivers.

I think now's the time to buy if you want him because the owner will not want to sell if he blows up. Just know you might be in for the long haul.

I like Peoples-Jones and Tyler, but only if you can stash on taxi or deep rosters. Or maybe that late season pick up, cutting a useless vet you needed during the season. In my deep leagues, I own some of these guys, on the chance that expensive vets in front of them move on. They are both long term lotto tickets, but they have profiles of #1 guys, so I will hold for a year, if I can. Sometimes you can't, you need the roster spot.  

Excellent point.  It is difficult to surrender a valuable roster spot for a developing player with extremely limited current weekly value.

I'm not really sure if Callaway is really inflated. His prospect profile coming out of Tennessee looks more like a round 3 guy than an undrafted guy, and Tennessee fans say he was the better wr than 3rd rounder Josh Palmer. 

I'm pretty bullish on him, and will probably continue to be even after MT is back. 

Spent a 10th rounder on Callaway in a 14-team redraft.   He is my defacto WR3, but will be competing with Gabriel Davis (rnd 15), along with rookies Marshall and E. Moore.

In dynasty, I spent a rookie/fa late 4th on DPJ and intend to hold.   Probably not a 2021 play unless OBJ or Landry goes down, but I think he starts in 2022 and he's definitely not a 6th round talent.

Tyler Johnson is a guy I might look to add as an end-of-season stash in dynasty, depending on what happens with Godwin and Ant Brown.  

I'm not really sure if Callaway is really inflated. His prospect profile coming out of Tennessee looks more like a round 3 guy than an undrafted guy, and Tennessee fans say he was the better wr than 3rd rounder Josh Palmer. 

I'm pretty bullish on him, and will probably continue to be even after MT is back. 
It is hard not to be bullish on Callaway after his preseason Week 2 dominance.  He absolutely looked like he belongs as a team's alpha receiver.  Michael Thomas will not be out forever, so we will see how the Saints use Callaway once Thomas returns.  Like you, however, I am bullish on Callaway, especially in dynasty, but he will come at a high cost now, I suspect.  

Spent a 10th rounder on Callaway in a 14-team redraft.   He is my defacto WR3, but will be competing with Gabriel Davis (rnd 15), along with rookies Marshall and E. Moore.

In dynasty, I spent a rookie/fa late 4th on DPJ and intend to hold.   Probably not a 2021 play unless OBJ or Landry goes down, but I think he starts in 2022 and he's definitely not a 6th round talent.

Tyler Johnson is a guy I might look to add as an end-of-season stash in dynasty, depending on what happens with Godwin and Ant Brown.  
That is a heckuva group of young wideouts to build around for dynasty!

I agree with you that D. Peoples-Jones looks like a future starter and strong fantasy hold, if you have the roster spot.  

That is a heckuva group of young wideouts to build around for dynasty!

Sadly, Callaway / E. Moore / Marshall / G. Davis is my re-draft.   If those aren't the late round re-draft selections of a guy who missed out on all of the prized WRs in dynasty, I don't know what is.   But I like to draft for pure upside with those picks.   Moore and Marshall definitely have the talent for instant stardom, but will have to work their way up to the top of the WR food chain.   Callaway has the opportunity to come charging out of the gates in week 1.    

Honest mistake.  Funny thing is, I initially had Edwards (and Duvernay) in this list before I double-checked his draft position.  Edwards is a great breakout candidate for 2021!
Honestly though we can talk about all Sophomore WRs that didn't break out last year. It's not like Ruggs and Reagor did much last year. The obvious ones we know (JJefferson, Lamb, Aiyuk, Jeudy, Higgins, Claypool) but I think the rest have an argument they could break out or maybe keep busting. 

Honestly though we can talk about all Sophomore WRs that didn't break out last year. It's not like Ruggs and Reagor did much last year. The obvious ones we know (JJefferson, Lamb, Aiyuk, Jeudy, Higgins, Claypool) but I think the rest have an argument they could break out or maybe keep busting. 
True enough.  One of my favorites outside of those who already broke out is Van Jefferson (2nd rounder).

Marquez Callaway put 3/61 on the first drive preseason week 1 against my Ravens as well. We were playing the starters in our very good secondary. 

In a long time 14 team dynasty league(20+ yrs) I traded Pittman and a 3rd for Mooney and a 2nd. Own reagor, picked Davis off waivers last year and cut quez after our rookie draft in June🤷🏻‍♂️

If we're going to be talking about second year break outs Shenault is the name we need to be mentioning.

True enough.  One of my favorites outside of those who already broke out is Van Jefferson (2nd rounder).
He's had a decent camp but I'm not sure he has broke out. I drafted him in a Keeper last year and couldn't get anything for him at the trade deadline so I dropped him. Someone put a waiver claim in but he was dropped this past weekend when roster cuts were due. I still have an eye on him so would be interested to read what you know.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling is having a great camp and fits this criteria, kinda. 5th round pick but in 2018, saw 60+ targets last year but only caught 33 for a league leading 20.9 average. He's apparently going to win the #2 job out of camp and has really dedicated himself to his routes this offseason.

He's had a decent camp but I'm not sure he has broke out. I drafted him in a Keeper last year and couldn't get anything for him at the trade deadline so I dropped him. Someone put a waiver claim in but he was dropped this past weekend when roster cuts were due. I still have an eye on him so would be interested to read what you know.
I picked up Van as a "throw in" on a trade a few weeks ago...  Roster cut down next week has me looking at him, Ind WR Mike Strachan & NYJ WR Denzel Mims as potential collateral damage.  Need to find 5 spots ....  2 are easy cuts  (JJ Taylor & 3rd Def) ....  these 3 are tougher...   Need to see final camp report to make decisions... 

ETA:  Other option is Ind TE Kylen Granson

My bench is filled with mostly these guys. I have 2 proven WRs in Arob and Kupp. After that it's Jeudy, Pittman, VanJ, Edwards and Ron Moore. Had MVS as well but just dropped him. Hoping for 1 or 2 break out big. 

Users who are viewing this thread