What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Anthony Schwartz, CLE (1 Viewer)

Said this multiple times in other threads but I have no idea how so many people missed on this guy. He should have been going in the range where Dyami and ARSB were going 

Question is…what is his upside? Run first offense, deep at receiver and tight end.
I’m talking mostly from a dynasty perspective but as long as OBJ is out, Schwartz is a decent flex in a bigger redraft league because he can score a long TD any time with his speed. He’s as fast as anyone in the league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Schwartz battled a hamstring issue all summer and has been limited in practice this week after catching 3-of-5 targets for 69 yards in the Week 1 opener as the Browns' fourth wideout. If he's out against Houston, Rashard Higgins could see more of a role.

I’m talking mostly from a dynasty perspective but as long as OBJ is out, Schwartz is a decent flex in a bigger redraft league because he can score a long TD any time with his speed. He’s as fast as anyone in the league. 
Don’t disagree that he is a threat. I just don’t know if he has the skills to develop into a regular producer or not. Honestly don’t know much about him but was intrigued after watching the KC game.

All summer the buzz was centered on DPJ, then game one when OBJ and plenty of opps for a young WR to step in it's Schwartz who is the more productive one. No idea what to make of this. Any homers know what happened to DPJ? From a dynasty standpoint I'm intrigued as I have these guys in multiple leagues and am looking to see who may be the better bet if OBJ moves on.

All summer the buzz was centered on DPJ, then game one when OBJ and plenty of opps for a young WR to step in it's Schwartz who is the more productive one. No idea what to make of this. Any homers know what happened to DPJ? From a dynasty standpoint I'm intrigued as I have these guys in multiple leagues and am looking to see who may be the better bet if OBJ moves on.
It seems the same as last year for Peoples Jones- he's getting the opportunity but not getting open to capitalize. I wonder about his future now

The lead-up to the game was that OBJ was expected back and would play a big role.  Minutes before kickoff he opted out.

OBJ's role is to vertically stretch the field, he still has that sort of speed and gets bracketed coverage from opposing defenses which opens things up.  Last year when OBJ went down with injury the Browns had no WR who could fill that role, hence using a 3rd round pick on Schwartz.  Schwartz had a soft tissue injury in camp and didn't display the greatest hands while DPJ tore-up camp so Anthony Schwartz was forgotten by most everyone following the team but ...  He fills a role that only OBJ fills with his speed to vertically stretch the field.

If you look at the depth chart it is pretty simple.  OBJ and Landry are starters with DPJ AND Schwartz as backups.  Schwartz is listed as OBJ's backup and DPJ is listed as Landry's backup.  DPJ is quick but doesn't possess 4.25 speed of Schwartz, OBJ doesn't even have 'that-sort' of speed.

This week is a bit different as the team put OBJ on ice early in the week so they could game-plan without him.  If you look at the KC film Mayfield made a few choices where DPJ was wide-open but he went early to Schwartz.  I 'think' DPJ will definitely see more action today.  The guy left out every year is Higgins who always plays well whenever he gets a shot so if he gets any looks he'll have production.  

Having OBJ OUT helps out all WRs so I would expect similar number of targets for Schwartz.  He was wide-open without a DB within  twenty yards and bobbled a catch and fell down when it would have been a walk-in score so he can score anytime.  

Last week all 4 TDs came on the ground, I fully expect that to change today.  

Schwartz is well-worth a flyer as a flex option IMHO.

The lead-up to the game was that OBJ was expected back and would play a big role.  Minutes before kickoff he opted out.

OBJ's role is to vertically stretch the field, he still has that sort of speed and gets bracketed coverage from opposing defenses which opens things up.  Last year when OBJ went down with injury the Browns had no WR who could fill that role, hence using a 3rd round pick on Schwartz.  Schwartz had a soft tissue injury in camp and didn't display the greatest hands while DPJ tore-up camp so Anthony Schwartz was forgotten by most everyone following the team but ...  He fills a role that only OBJ fills with his speed to vertically stretch the field.

If you look at the depth chart it is pretty simple.  OBJ and Landry are starters with DPJ AND Schwartz as backups.  Schwartz is listed as OBJ's backup and DPJ is listed as Landry's backup.  DPJ is quick but doesn't possess 4.25 speed of Schwartz, OBJ doesn't even have 'that-sort' of speed.

This week is a bit different as the team put OBJ on ice early in the week so they could game-plan without him.  If you look at the KC film Mayfield made a few choices where DPJ was wide-open but he went early to Schwartz.  I 'think' DPJ will definitely see more action today.  The guy left out every year is Higgins who always plays well whenever he gets a shot so if he gets any looks he'll have production.  

Having OBJ OUT helps out all WRs so I would expect similar number of targets for Schwartz.  He was wide-open without a DB within  twenty yards and bobbled a catch and fell down when it would have been a walk-in score so he can score anytime.  

Last week all 4 TDs came on the ground, I fully expect that to change today.  

Schwartz is well-worth a flyer as a flex option IMHO.
Good info. What do you think his upside is in this offense? Do you think Schwartz could be an eventual replacement OBJ’s?

Good info. What do you think his upside is in this offense? Do you think Schwartz could be an eventual replacement OBJ’s?
The coaches are going to use OBJ when he comes back.  The plan was to use Schwatz's speed in packages and we saw a 'few' plays like that in KC like the jet sweep.  His game caught everyone by surprise 'maybe' even the coaches who 'might' see more opportunities but when OBJ comes back you have to figure the coaches will use him.  Baker will target him.

Its been noted their are mouths to feed so... 

Per expecting him to replace OBJ?  We have 'yet' to see OBJ this year.  If he does OBJ stuff then no way in hell does Schwartz or anyone  replace OBJ.  More than likely DPJ replaces Landry since Javis' contract is out of proportion to his production at the same time Baker's contract is up.   

... while DPJ tore-up camp so Anthony Schwartz was forgotten by most everyone following the team but ...  He fills a role that only OBJ fills with his speed to vertically stretch the field...

...  OBJ and Landry are starters with DPJ AND Schwartz as backups.  Schwartz is listed as OBJ's backup and DPJ is listed as Landry's backup.  DPJ is quick but doesn't possess 4.25 speed of Schwartz...

... The guy left out every year is Higgins who always plays well whenever he gets a shot ...

Having OBJ OUT helps out all WRs ...
OBJ is OUT and now Jarvis Landry is also OUT with a knee injury early in the game that caught the coaches/game-plan off-guard.  Coaches had to adjust on the fly just as they had to in the opener against KC so what happened?

DPJ's first catch... he fumbled and was not targeted again.

Schwartz turtled on a throw/catch over the middle of the field where a safety was bearing down on him which caused an  INT and subsequent Baker Mayfield tackle attempt causing a separated shoulder.  HC Kevin Stefanski said THAT WON'T happen again.  They kept Schwartz in but the coaches added Higgins who was solid.

The team will get a guy back from suspension who performed well in the preseason but that won't change Schwartz' role.  He will remain the vertical-stretch guy.  I 'think' we will see DPJ get another shot to prove himself so we can see what he did in camp and preseason and Higgins 'should' get stirred into the mix.

Their 'could' be more targets to RB/WR/KR Demetric Felton who looked great on his TD catch and watch out for the suspended WR who is scheduled to come back this week (forget his name but he looked good in preseason and Stefanski knows him from his Minnesota days).

He is fast but he is making some really immature, foolish mistakes. Not only did he pull up on the route which caused Mayfield to throw an INT (and then separate his shoulder making the tackle), against the Chiefs he pulled up on a deep route which would have been a TD at a critical point in the second half.  If he scores on that play the Browns probably win. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Schwartz turtled on a throw/catch over the middle of the field where a safety was bearing down on him ...

The team will get a guy back from suspension who performed well in the preseason (forget his name but he looked good in preseason and Stefanski knows him from his Minnesota days).
PIC of Schwartz not only stopping on his route before the ball got their but you can clearly see him eyeing the safety who made the INT.

Damion Davis is/was the name of the WR.  He got waived.

OBJ 'expects' to play this Sunday and I'd normally take that with a grain of salt however with Jarvis Landry's injury and the waiving of Davis, hmmn.

Browns ruled out Anthony Schwartz (concussion) for Week 11 against the Lions.

Schwartz being ruled out locks Rashard Higgins into at least the No. 3 role, and he could be even higher on the depth chart if Donovan Peoples-Jones (groin) is forced to sit. That said, the Browns will likely try to pass as little as possible against a Lions team starting Tim Boyle at quarterback. 

RELATED: 

Rashard Higgins

Nov 19, 2021, 6:55 PM ET

Compulsery OTA hype piece.

I'm skeptical but he is in second season, he was injured his rookie year, and if/when Watson makes the field all-boats 'should' rise.  There has been 'some buzz' about him but I'll believe it if/when I see it.

One thing he has is speed and a role as a deep threat 'if' he can put things together.

---------------------------------------------

'I'm flipping a whole new script': Healthy Anthony Schwartz eyes big second year with Browns

Users who are viewing this thread