What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gruden resigning (1 Viewer)

I doubt ESPN is scanning the email content of all employees, and by policy I doubt they allow this. I think it's safe to sat that Gruden triggered an action where lawyers requested an eDiscovery request of his email. 

You make it sound like someone is sitting at a  desk and has free reign to browse everyone's email on a whim. ... which may be true at a small enterprise, but I suspect ESPN is sufficiently lawyered-up to prevent this type of event.
user name doesn’t check out 

"Among the 650,000 emails that were reviewed included several from Gruden starting in 2010 when he worked for ESPN as a "Monday Night Football" analyst. "
Just because the emails were written while he worked at ESPN does not mean he used an ESPN email account. I have a work email and a personal email.  :shrug:

Easy answer - don't use work email for anything but work. How people don't know this by now...

Theres a few who think because they know certain people it'll be taken care of but don't realize if those are higher ups they were CYA themselves and throw you under the bus. No loyalty to people below them 

Easy answer - don't use work email for anything but work. How people don't know this by now...
Sounds like it was his private email, sent to another account. At what point does your office gain the rights to records of your private emails used over their servers? That's awful precedent.

Had being the key word. 
if you’ve ever witnessed a leader who had been respected fall from grace and stick around, you’d know how this could impact the organization. 

As far as I can tell, it is still has?

I am curious about something: suppose that, instead of Jon Gruden, this was Tom Brady (or another major star on the field.) Would he be released? 
No. We've seen a similar example with Kevin Durant's (much more recent) texts/tweets. Superstar athletes get a pass. 

This is also not within the scope of his current employment, nor is it even out of the realm of anything but a private discussion.

Imagine if you could get tired for views you hold that are unpopular. Then apply it writ large to society and tell there aren't problems with it.
so you'd let someone run your business that is dumb enough to put into print, homophobic, racist, misogynist, rude, demeaning personal attacks?

This just came out: 

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jon-gruden-repeatedly-used-homophobic-misogynist-language-in-email-exchanges-involving-bruce-allen-003823476.html

it’s not cancel culture. It’s consequences culture.  Apparently a slew of emails containing language that modern workplaces don’t tolerate were sent by Gruden, including calling Roger Goodell some very unflattering things. 

I would fire him from my company, too. 

I agree, but if everyone had access to all the coaches and players private e-mails and texts the league would fold.  

so you'd let someone run your business that is dumb enough to put into print, homophobic, racist, misogynist, rude, demeaning personal attacks?
i think context and era do matter though. was queer not the right word at the time? hell is it not the right term now? my uncle has told us for the last twenty years that he is queer and he hates the word homosexual. if you perceive someone as a liar can you not say he has huge lips vice loose lips? 

I think that the issue of work emails vs private emails is largely irrelevant in this case.  If you’re a public figure like a football coach, you’re responsible for all of it. You’re on 100% of the time. There are no “private comments” for Jon Gruden. 
We'd lose a lot of leaders if we all had access to their private emails. 

It's not how it should be. Expressing private opinions should not be cause for workplace terminating employment. It's a slippery slope that points toward too much power being in the hands of capital.

But the opposite is too much power in the hands of homophobes/etc. 

I can buy "private opinion" over the kneeling/etc. I can't buy private opinion on this:

"He wrote that Goodell shouldn't have pressured then-Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher to draft "queers," "

That's it - 100% done. No more power over other's livelihoods, ever. 

I think that the issue of work emails vs private emails is largely irrelevant in this case.  If you’re a public figure like a football coach, you’re responsible for all of it. You’re on 100% of the time. There are no “private comments” for Jon Gruden. 
That's a terrible precedent that isn't well thought-out at all. If we keep disallowing the private conscience of citizens because they serve in the public sphere, there's a possibility we won't get the politicians and public figures we really want, but rather, socio and psychopaths. Which we're close to having already.

here is where i take issue with it, is Gruden the only employee that supposedly sent out emails like this? i say supposedly because i have not seen any as of yet. if there are other people in the company that have emails like this but espn is not outing them now then i take issue with they are only witch hunting one guy.
This is a great post.  Actually implementing this would absolutely devistate some front offices.

Can't defend this.

Gruden referred to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell as a "fa****t" and a "clueless anti football p****y." He wrote that Goodell shouldn't have pressured then-Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher to draft "queers," according to the report. The Rams made Michael Sam the first openly gay player to be drafted in the NFL in 2014. 

All.. who knows?

Some - yes and they came forward.  Including people he worked with for decades.
There are apparently tons of emails. Called people “queers”. Has a gay player on his team. Not good.

Breaking story which will we’ll find out a lot more I’m sure. 

Private convos getting out is scary stuff so need to see more about how that came about.

A person in his position with his public profile is not surviving this. 

Sounds like it was his private email, sent to another account. At what point does your office gain the rights to records of your private emails used over their servers? That's awful precedent.
I hear you but I do think it’s different because he may sent the emails to NFL work emails. If I used a private email to send nudes and offensive remarks to the work email of a fellow teacher, I don’t see what case I would have to defend myself. 

1) Did you read what he wrote?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/11/sports/football/what-did-jon-gruden-say.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

N.F.L. officials as part of a separate workplace misconduct investigation that did not directly involve him have found that Gruden, now the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders, casually and frequently unleashed misogynistic and homophobic language over several years to denigrate people around the game and to mock some of the league’s momentous changes.

He denounced the emergence of women as referees, the drafting of a gay player and the tolerance of players protesting during the playing of the national anthem, according to emails reviewed by The New York Times.
Gruden’s messages were sent to Bruce Allen, the former president of the Washington Football Team, and others, while he was working for ESPN as a color analyst during “Monday Night Football,” the sports network’s weekly prime-time telecast of N.F.L. games. In the emails, Gruden called the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, a “f****t” and a “clueless anti football p***y” and said that Goodell should not have pressured Jeff Fisher, then the coach of the Rams, to draft “queers,” a reference to Michael Sam, a gay player chosen by the team in 2014.

In numerous emails during a seven-year period ending in early 2018, Gruden criticized Goodell and the league for trying to reduce concussions and said that Eric Reid, a player who had demonstrated during the playing of the national anthem, should be fired. In several instances, Gruden used a homophobic slur to refer to Goodell and offensive language to describe some N.F.L. owners, coaches and journalists who cover the league.

The privacy angle is a red herring.  The media gained access to written material where he [apparently] repeatedly showed himself to be at best a homophobic misogynist at a time where that is all every press conference would have been about for the rest of the year.  He had to go.

Can't defend this.

Gruden referred to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell as a "fa****t" and a "clueless anti football p****y." He wrote that Goodell shouldn't have pressured then-Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher to draft "queers," according to the report. The Rams made Michael Sam the first openly gay player to be drafted in the NFL in 2014. 

Most black players probably would agree with him at the time.  Does not matter thought it is wrong.

There are apparently tons of emails. Called people “queers”. Has a gay player on his team. Not good.

Breaking story which will we’ll find out a lot more I’m sure. 

Private convos getting out is scary stuff so need to see more about how that came about.

A person in his position with his public profile is not surviving this. 
I dont know man, seems to me that people just need to grow a backbone and move on with their life.  So what if he uses that word. Let the chips fall as they may and see how people react. 

But the opposite is too much power in the hands of homophobes/etc. 

I can buy "private opinion" over the kneeling/etc. I can't buy private opinion on this:

"He wrote that Goodell shouldn't have pressured then-Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher to draft "queers," "

That's it - 100% done. No more power over other's livelihoods, ever. 
:goodposting:

Don't agree with Tim on much, but he's right here. And whether it's good precedent or not, it doesn't matter. It's kind of just the way that it is.

This is the part that I get fed up with by a lot of these people overall. A lot of righteousness and virtue signaling by people who really don't care. It's why I never cared for their Colin Kaepernick BS because it was all Virtue Signaling we need to do this for ratings and we might lose viewers if we don't agree with them BS. 
Shows you where public opinion among their customers lies.

We already know his locker room (past and present) had his back.

The locker room excuse is coming from a whole lot of people not in that locker room.
i've questioned this from his hiring.  i don't think the locker room does like him.  that knock on wood crap was the worst.

Users who are viewing this thread