What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do you participate in the Political Forum? (2 Viewers)

Which option describes you most?

• I’m interested in other viewpoints and in exploring my beliefs and beliefs of others.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • I want to share my strongly beliefs and believe the world would be a better place if others believed

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I enjoy debating/arguing with others.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • It’s important that people advocate for what is right whether it changes anyone’s mind or not.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I’m just bored and killing time.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters
I think we tend to keep folks honest here for the most part. So I think the scattergraph would be concentrated less in the misinformation and more toward the opinion/fact side. And I think most posters are fairly moderate, so I think the scattergraph on that axis would be found heavily in the middle. 

Thanks as always for the feedback. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit posting and only lurk a little now.   

I had to quit because of the covid deniers .   I've taken care of >2000 covid patients and just can't deal with the trump posters spreading misinformation and dismissing my experience /expert knowledge for their own bizarre agenda. They don't even attempt to learn anything and just post variations of the same arguments over and over.    I realized it's a waste of my time.

I'm a conservative - I want to discuss and debate with non-conservatives and challenge my views and ways of thinking

This forum does that for sure 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Sinn Fein said:
I think one of the reasons you have struggled with this concept, is I think its a mixing of words.

I don't think people use PSF as an "actual source of news", rather when they say that, what they mean is they are informed of news-worthy events by the PSF.  This means, when something newsworthy happens, it shows up in a thread here - generally with links to the actual "news" and then discussions around that event.

So, as an example, the thread about the assault in the girls bathroom - that generated a thread, with a link to the story itself.  For many people here - that is where they first learned of the story.  And then, both sides have argued their respective points of views - giving everyone who reads the thread a pretty good indication where the battle lines are drawn, and they can decide where they fall.

So, the PSF is not an original source of information - such that it could be weighed left, right or center.  People who post in here are pretty blatantly left, right and center, and the opinions they provide are colored that way.  If you have been here long enough, its pretty easy to identify where people are on any given issue, and while some are die hard in either direction, most here fall towards the middle, and the specific issue guides how far left or right of center they fall.
If I didn’t say it as well as this, this is what I was trying to say on page one. 

If I didn’t say it as well as this, this is what I was trying to say on page one. 

Ok. That's interesting after your original statement which seemed pretty clear. 

You missed one, and upon reflection what is probably for me, my biggest motivation: the political forum is my primary source for news and current events.

For the PSF and how different viewpoints are represented, if they showed up as points on the media bias chart with left to right and reliable to unreliable, what do you think the chart would look like? 

Ok. That's interesting after your original statement which seemed pretty clear. 

For the PSF and how different viewpoints are represented, if they showed up as points on the media bias chart with left to right and reliable to unreliable, what do you think the chart would look like? 
I’m in the same boat as Woz and BB - I watch the PSF and then if it’s something I want to learn more about I will search out more traditional news.

I think we have a wide range of folks on the political spectrum and most are pretty smart and articulate things reasonably well.  And we obviously have people that will call out what they think is misinformation very quickly.

The concerning thing to me is despite being a higher quality of posters here we still see major tribalism and and as you like to point out, empathy.  When you see what you consider to be mostly reasonable folks so biased and divided it doesn’t give you much hope for the general public.  I’m mostly checked out on politics due to that but still follow along some - will pay more attention at election time but tbh, if we end up with Biden vs. Trump again (as I expect) I will probably just abandon politics completely and just vote every four years.  These parties aren’t worth my time and energy.

I think we have a wide range of folks on the political spectrum and most are pretty smart and articulate things reasonably well.  And we obviously have people that will call out what they think is misinformation very quickly.
Thank you @AAABatteries

Same question I've asked some others, for the Political Forum, if you had to put dots on the graph to represent posters, how do you think the distribution would be on the media bias chart of left to right and reliable to unreliable?

I think the scattershot would be fairly spread out on the L-R line, with the highest concentration left of center.   

I think the reliability line is where we need the most improvement here.   I see quite a few people claim they mainly get news from AP, BBC, and other sources that are in the green box on the Media Bias Chart, but way too often in the threads we get CNN, Gateway, Youtube, and other stuff linked.   So IMO our reliability scattershot would have the highest concentration below the green box.    But this is very poster and thread dependent as well.  

Thank you @AAABatteries

Same question I've asked some others, for the Political Forum, if you had to put dots on the graph to represent posters, how do you think the distribution would be on the media bias chart of left to right and reliable to unreliable?
Assuming I remember how that is setup and the idea behind I would say the PSF has more more left leaning folks on social issues, middle for economic issues and far left on Trump and current GOP leadership.  I think it’s equally “unreliable” because most folks assume good intentions by their side and bad intentions on the other side.

I think the vast majority of the trolls and the ones that would be classified as misinformation aren’t right leaning in the same way I don’t think Trump is right leaning - they are older white males that don’t like that the country isn’t the way it was when they were growing up or younger.  Trump plugged in to that and they love that he’s not politically correct, punches up/down/sideways.  It’s just gravy to them that he wraps himself in the flag, the military, the Bible and guns.  But that’s by design even if they don’t realize it. 

I’ll be totally honest, I didn’t include it as an option because that possibility didn’t even occur to me as a possibility and honestly I’m shocked that not only has that been mentioned quite a few times now, but by guys that I really think have good heads in their shoulders. 
I responded to your post in the GMTAN - I think you and Joe are taking the idea of news source too literal.  As I said in there, we use this site as a news aggregator and hot topic issues of the day.  Then seek out real news sources when something interesting piques our interest.

I responded to your post in the GMTAN - I think you and Joe are taking the idea of news source too literal.  As I said in there, we use this site as a news aggregator and hot topic issues of the day.  Then seek out real news sources when something interesting piques our interest.

I'd ask exactly what I've said here that makes you think that? 

I'd ask exactly what I've said here that makes you think that? 
I’ll keep discussing here - didn’t want to “spam” the GMTAN.  It seemed like your shock was because people would get news here.  I think people are finding out about events and news and then getting the news elsewhere.  Maybe I misinterpreted that but if that’s not what you meant then I guess I don’t understand what there is to be shocked about.  I think many of us get all our news here.  I get the news about the new iPhone here, new cars on the market, movies, sports - it’s only natural I would do that with politics too.

I’ll keep discussing here - didn’t want to “spam” the GMTAN.  It seemed like your shock was because people would get news here.  I think people are finding out about events and news and then getting the news elsewhere.  Maybe I misinterpreted that but if that’s not what you meant then I guess I don’t understand what there is to be shocked about.  I think many of us get all our news here.  I get the news about the new iPhone here, new cars on the market, movies, sports - it’s only natural I would do that with politics too.

This is a stunning development.  I am floored.

Yep. For me, nearly everything except medical news starts here (psf + ffa). I also consume documentaries, but don’t feel compelled to keep abreast of the daily news beyond that.

For the people who find this sort of behavior unbelievable, what concerns would you have for someone who gets news in this fashion?

I think the scattershot would be fairly spread out on the L-R line, with the highest concentration left of center.   

I think the reliability line is where we need the most improvement here.   I see quite a few people claim they mainly get news from AP, BBC, and other sources that are in the green box on the Media Bias Chart, but way too often in the threads we get CNN, Gateway, Youtube, and other stuff linked.   So IMO our reliability scattershot would have the highest concentration below the green box.    But this is very poster and thread dependent as well.  
Seen several claim to get their news from source x but rarely do they reference or post links from source x. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread