What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do you participate in the Political Forum? (2 Viewers)

Which option describes you most?

• I’m interested in other viewpoints and in exploring my beliefs and beliefs of others.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • I want to share my strongly beliefs and believe the world would be a better place if others believed

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I enjoy debating/arguing with others.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • It’s important that people advocate for what is right whether it changes anyone’s mind or not.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I’m just bored and killing time.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters
Thank you. I'm floored by that but also that's helpful information to better understand folks. 
Thinking about this, I'm also floored that you're floored by this. Where do you think the average person gets his news? It's probably social media. The days of reading the NYT with coffee and a muffin in the morning are over.

Don't want to be disrespectful but seriously wanted to ask - Are you serious that the PSF is your primary source for news and current events?
I love the look on peoples faces when they ask where I get my news and I say from my fantasy football website!

They usually expect me to be uninformed, but I can discuss most political topics at length and from both sides due to the discussion generated here.

This place is like a news aggregator website, along with expert opinion and analysis.

I love it!

Thank you. I'm floored by that but also that's helpful information to better understand folks. 
I agree 100%. I posted the poll looking for some illumination and found myself way more surprised than I thought possible. Makes me even more glad that I asked.

In the nicest way possible, y’all are nuts!  :lol:

I agree 100%. I posted the poll looking for some illumination and found myself way more surprised than I thought possible. Makes me even more glad that I asked.

In the nicest way possible, y’all are nuts!  :lol:
So... where do you get your news then?

What I hate about most news sources is it is all one way.  Even most internet news sources anymore turn off all comments to their content.  So they put out all these ridiculously one-sided stories which have an obvious agenda and there is no way to point out to the author or readers, why don't you consider this?   News stories are a nice topic starter, but they never tell the whole story or give a fair shake to other viewpoints.

Last edited by a moderator:
NPR Headlines from Alexa in the morning.

BBC World if I get home early enough.

NBC Nightly.

CBS Evening sometimes.

15 minutes of right wing radio during the commute.

5 minutes of the lefty laugh track in the PSF.   People are absolutely nuts if they think they are getting accurate news in here.  Explains a lot though.  

News links can be found pretty much everywhere. But this is a pretty decent place to get legal analysis; we've got a bunch of fellows here, too numerous to mention by name, who can shed light on some issues that are a little murky for we lesser intellects.

This isn't the only board that offers that kind of expertise but it's pretty dadgum good.

FBGs is also pretty good at discussing issues that aren't anywhere near appearing on the general public's radar yet but will in the future.

People are absolutely nuts if they think they are getting accurate news in here.  Explains a lot though.  
I can only speak for myself but “accurate”wasn’t the claim and certainly isn’t for me.  But it is a great place to learn of something, from both left and right leaning posters, then do one’s own research on the topic.  

Obviously I'm not much of a contributor here, but I do lurk a fair bit. Around maybe 10-15 years ago (I had a previous low-volume handle that had IRL connections so I chose this nonsense name with which to continue), the FFA and the large poker forum's off-topic/political boards were probably my largest sources of news.

Nowadays, Twitter is by leaps and bounds the source from which I consume news the most. Then I'll visit this board to see how the characters with which I'm familiar (and I don't mean that in a negative manner) react. I know what they've said about previous things, and reading their reactions and thoughts to events gives me a bit more perspective.

As a brown-skinned libertarian atheist degenerate, I'm not really a part of any major movement and mostly just observe the world. This forum provides me with additional viewpoints with which to contextualize current happenings. And of course put people into boxes and judge them harshly.

This for me, though I primarily lean a bit left on the majority of issues and primarily lurk this forum, but think that for the few posters that are able to post their views/thought processes without just attacking or name calling, I have learned some valuable insight that has led me to reflect on and in several cases adjust my view on some topics. The hard part is wading through a lot of the muck, from both sides, to be able to mine those nuggets of insight.

Voted Other cause I don't post here mainly due to the judgement and condescending that typically occurs in the topics, but wanted to express like some others I use it as an additional news source for things going on. 

I'll expand on my viewpoint a bit, as some of what Riddick also rings true for me as far as my lack of posting in this forum. Part of it is that in foolishness however many years ago, when I set up my forum name my usual online moniker was already taken, but as I was heavily involved on another FF forum at the time (The Huddle where, much like here, many life long real life friendships have been formed), but had been familiar with this site since the Cheatsheet.net days and enjoyed lurking the forums, set up a name that is a little too easy to track down my real life name, thus I am a lot more careful/reserved in posting. I'm not one to be that controversial anyway and in my personal social media am virtually non-existent, using it to mostly keep up with my family and close friends, though I likely have not posted anything myself in years. And I definitely don't talk politics or religion there.

I've considered setting up an alias account to feel like I could more freely post some comments and engage in discussions here with a bit more anonymity, but I don't really want to do that, and I know it's against the forum rules, and thus far have not found a topic where I felt passionate enough to feel the need to do that. 

Google news feed, CNN.com, Drudgereport, some Twitter follows, and for local news the local network affiliate sites for NBC and CBS. Feel like I get a good broad range of news coverage with those sources. Have been thinking about adding in some BBC because they do better international coverage.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
My answer on this has changed dramatically last few years.  Since about a year into Donald. Having an honest back and forth seems rare, and you can see debates begin, and you can see the tropes develop, and know where it's heading. 

Oh, I see he's leading with the Straw Man Gambit. Might've gone with Whataboutism myself, but he might be sagely saving that parry for when he's really backed into a corner. I could see that....

OK, so if it's not honest debate, is it talking with liked minded? Sure. Most people I know don't follow politics as much, and that ones that do, I'm not dying to find out what they think. I dunno if I will learn anything from them.  

But without question, right now, it's the laughs. 

It's not funny to most, but that's only because it's happening to us. But from outside, and if you have a black sense of humor (uh, yep), our political world is frigging hilarious. I mean, funnier than anything on TV or the theaters. I am really not thrilled with the comedy media I have been consuming. But the unintentional comedy of this collection of characters we see every day is OFF THE CHARTS. If a TV writer had written characters like Mitch McConnell, Madison Cawthorn, Lorena Boebert they would be hailed as comedy genius. 

Their lives seem made up. Maybe by the South Park guys. 

"Hey, let's make one a GED dingbat, who may or may not be love child of a professional wrestler from the 80's, with a mullet"
"I like it! I'm writing one from Florida, one of those Crossfit randos, who is caught cheating with a video game cosplayer...

If our political world was a novel, it would be considered classic American literature, the next John Irving, sharpest wit since Twain.  

Really not worth participating here anymore. For a long time I feel the FFA was a really good place for #1 and #3, but most of those types have been run off.

This is 100% accurate for me to. I get 99% of my news about what’s happening here, it’s my go to for quick mental breaks from workor where I’m killing time while on long webinars and where I kill time late at night.  
This too, with one small tweak.  Inside my “bubble” too. Also no one in my circle talks politics anymore, I think it’s intrusion into our daily lives has everyone wore out.  
Both of these. Seldom discuss politics IRL, and think news is pretty toxic in just about every format. 

I also like to gain an understanding of opposing viewpoints, and this place is much more civil than alternatives.

I picked number 1. I can genuinely say that I have changed my opinion on a few things and come to respect some viewpoints that are the opposite of my own, based on reading this forum.
I have also changed my opinion some over the years on some issues as I debated with others ( more so on social media than here) I really don’t see many here changing their opinions  even when it appears they have clearly lost the debate. I naively think I can change some folks mind here by adding some information but feel I never have. Has more to do with plain stubbornness IMO. Truth be told I don’t know why I am here except there are less repercussions to debating here than on social media 

I have also changed my opinion some over the years on some issues as I debated with others ( more so on social media than here) I really don’t see many here changing their opinions  even when it appears they have clearly lost the debate. I naively think I can change some folks mind here by adding some information but feel I never have. Has more to do with plain stubbornness IMO. Truth be told I don’t know why I am here except there are less repercussions to debating here than on social media 
I agree that people are stubborn and will never admit when they lose a debate. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't change their mind. It usually happens days or weeks later when they settle down and think about the discussion in a less emotional way. I also understand that there is the very stubborn people and they never change their minds. I think the people that unlikely to change their minds are generally the loudest (and argue the same point repeatedly for days/weeks). So I guess my point is that I think there is a lot of good discussion and debate in this forum, you just have to ignore the noise and focus on the people actually having a decent discussion.

You missed one, and upon reflection what is probably for me, my biggest motivation: the political forum is my primary source for news and current events. A secondary motivation for me is discussing them. But, frankly, this forum is my "break" from work most days so it's nice to get on the political forum and get my "news." 
Yep

I think Zow explained it well. It serves the role as a sort of aggregator of current events. News articles are often linked which provide more factual detail, but I likely wouldn’t have known of the story to begin with if not for the FFA or PSF. I don’t watch tv news, listen to news radio, or regularly visit a particular news site on the Internet. Folks here do a pretty good job of aggregating notable events and developments. And when those events interest me, I read and research further. 

Google news feed, CNN.com, Drudgereport, some Twitter follows, and for local news the local network affiliate sites for NBC and CBS. Feel like I get a good broad range of news coverage with those sources. Have been thinking about adding in some BBC because they do better international coverage.
Seriously, cut all that, add BBC, Reuters and AP, then come back to this forum.  It's like a different world.  I DO watch CBS local news and occasionally the CBS national news.

Seriously, cut all that, add BBC, Reuters and AP, then come back to this forum.  It's like a different world.  I DO watch CBS local news and occasionally the CBS national news.
Try cutting that stuff too, and doing something outdoors. You might end up not as well rounded, but exercise and being outside will do a lot more good for your health and quality of life.

To be clear, not picking on you specifically, but some people’s identities are far too tied up in politics are current events. We’d all probably benefit from being less plugged in.

Try cutting that stuff too, and doing something outdoors. You might end up not as well rounded, but exercise and being outside will do a lot more good for your health and quality of life.

To be clear, not picking on you specifically, but some people’s identities are far too tied up in politics are current events. We’d all probably benefit from being less plugged in.
Well yeah....if this was an either/or scenario, I'd agree 100%

We've talked in the past a good about the media bias chart https://adfontesmedia.com/

It's not perfect but I think it's reasonable. 

For folks that use the PSF as a source of news, roughly where would you put the PSF on the matrix of Left to Right and News Value and Reliability?

We've talked in the past a good about the media bias chart https://adfontesmedia.com/

For folks that use the PSF as a source of news, roughly where would you put the PSF on the matrix of Left to Right and News Value and Reliability?
I would say it fills the entirety of the box, all the way to each of the four corners. 

I think one of the reasons you have struggled with this concept, is I think its a mixing of words.

I don't think people use PSF as an "actual source of news", rather when they say that, what they mean is they are informed of news-worthy events by the PSF.  This means, when something newsworthy happens, it shows up in a thread here - generally with links to the actual "news" and then discussions around that event.

So, as an example, the thread about the assault in the girls bathroom - that generated a thread, with a link to the story itself.  For many people here - that is where they first learned of the story.  And then, both sides have argued their respective points of views - giving everyone who reads the thread a pretty good indication where the battle lines are drawn, and they can decide where they fall.

So, the PSF is not an original source of information - such that it could be weighed left, right or center.  People who post in here are pretty blatantly left, right and center, and the opinions they provide are colored that way.  If you have been here long enough, its pretty easy to identify where people are on any given issue, and while some are die hard in either direction, most here fall towards the middle, and the specific issue guides how far left or right of center they fall.

Similar only ABC local and some David Muir if we leave it on after the local.

So, this is a bit different IMO.  That chart is for reporters on news.  You guys don't do that.  From that chart, the most liberal site I've seen posted here frequently is either daily kos or msnbc.  The most conservative would be newsmax/hannity/carlson.  Then there's a slew of references to things like gateway pundit and conservative treehouse that this site doesn't even consider "news" apparently.  

I often learn about news from reading the FFA. But once I learn about it, then I will typically go to a news website and try to learn more (assuming that it’s interesting.) 

I've learned a lot of good things here.  I do keep an open mind, and believe it or not my views have evolved because of it.  Never used to believe in systemic racism.  Now I not only believe in it but I've done a lot of work to help solve for it.  I fought for change at Clemson University and got a chance to work with several black leaders, including Carl Lewis (who I'm now penpals with), Jamele Hill and Russell Dinkins.

So, this is a bit different IMO.  That chart is for reporters on news.  You guys don't do that.  From that chart, the most liberal site I've seen posted here frequently is either daily kos or msnbc.  The most conservative would be newsmax/hannity/carlson.  Then there's a slew of references to things like gateway pundit and conservative treehouse that this site doesn't even consider "news" apparently.  

For sure it's a bit different. But still a valuable way to look at a news source. When someone says, "My primary source of news is _________", I think it's valuable to examine where that source falls on the chart. 

I would say it fills the entirety of the box, all the way to each of the four corners. 

Interesting.

Do you think the representation is equal from all four corners?

If each perspective in the forum were a dot on the chart, do you think they are equally dispersed? Or more congregated in some areas?

When someone says, "My primary source of news is _________", I think it's valuable to examine where that source falls on the chart. 

I think one of the reasons you have struggled with this concept, is I think its a mixing of words.

I don't think people use PSF as an "actual source of news", rather when they say that, what they mean is they are informed of news-worthy events by the PSF.  This means, when something newsworthy happens, it shows up in a thread here - generally with links to the actual "news" and then discussions around that event.

So, as an example, the thread about the assault in the girls bathroom - that generated a thread, with a link to the story itself.  For many people here - that is where they first learned of the story.  And then, both sides have argued their respective points of views - giving everyone who reads the thread a pretty good indication where the battle lines are drawn, and they can decide where they fall.

So, the PSF is not an original source of information - such that it could be weighed left, right or center.  People who post in here are pretty blatantly left, right and center, and the opinions they provide are colored that way.  If you have been here long enough, its pretty easy to identify where people are on any given issue, and while some are die hard in either direction, most here fall towards the middle, and the specific issue guides how far left or right of center they fall.

For sure it's a bit different. But still a valuable way to look at a news source. When someone says, "My primary source of news is _________", I think it's valuable to examine where that source falls on the chart. 
If you are familiar with "third party aggregators", I'd view this site as that.  

Joe Bryant said:
Interesting.

Do you think the representation is equal from all four corners?

If each perspective in the forum were a dot on the chart, do you think they are equally dispersed? Or more congregated in some areas?
I think we tend to keep folks honest here for the most part. So I think the scattergraph would be concentrated less in the misinformation and more toward the opinion/fact side. And I think most posters are fairly moderate, so I think the scattergraph on that axis would be found heavily in the middle. 

Users who are viewing this thread