What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

possible lengthy food, supply shortages coming to the US? Latest: start hiding Sriracha (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-10 how concerned are you about a food/supply shortage?

• 1-Not concerned at all. Business as usual.

Votes: 48 23.1%

Votes: 35 16.8%

Votes: 30 14.4%

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • 5-Mildly concerned, but not panicking. Stocking up on some non-perishable essentials.

Votes: 45 21.6%

Votes: 8 3.8%

Votes: 9 4.3%

Votes: 4 1.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-Stocking up on everything.

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
All the living wage has done is further eroded the middle class.   I have lost my ### this year, will probably look in a different direction for employment after the new year.  

From Roosevelt to Eisenhower, the US GDP doubled and so did the living wage. From Reagan to Obama the GDP doubled again and the wage stayed flat. What we're seeing now is the wage catching up and causing some pain points. Something like that.
Globalization, for the most part.

If workers aren't smart and start taking the jobs that are out there, particularly service jobs, they'll find when that a robot has taken them and they get no job when they decide to try and reenter the workforce.

Restaurants face new challenge: A shortage of take-out containers and coffee cups

• Snarls in the global supply chain are making it more difficult for restaurants to find enough straws, iced coffee cups and takeout containers.
  • Manufacturers are paying more for materials, while delays at ports and labor challenges are slowing down their ability to deliver the products to customers.
  • Off-premise restaurant orders were up 20% in September compared with the same time two years ago, according to NPD Group.
I guess we'll be packing our own Tupperware to pick up takeout soon. 

I have a recipe for a good dip using cream cheese and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, if anybody wants it.

😄 I really don't, but I imagine a couple bricks of cream cheese mixed with a couple chopped up breakfast sandwiches, some green chiles and velveeta would actually taste pretty damn good.
Pretty sure this is a bannable offense.  Godspeed.

Just got back from Costco. From the vantage point of someone not reliant upon cream cheese or Jimmy Dean products for survival, there seemed to be plenty of stuff available.
Supply update #2: Amazon package arrived two days early, with enough cauliflower chips to survive through the bitter island winter. I can’t imagine the cornucopia I’d receive if I ponied up for Prime.

Supply update #2: Amazon package arrived two days early, with enough cauliflower chips to survive through the bitter island winter. I can’t imagine the cornucopia I’d receive if I ponied up for Prime.
Update #3: After attending the premiere of a Korean documentary at the international film festival, the consulate offered these as a parting gift. I’ll be practicing my cuts for when the SHTF.

Terminalxylem said:
If interested, they’ll loan you one when you get permitted to climb Denali.

One of the more perverse pleasures I’ve enjoyed was the heat created by the partially filled bucket, when forced to use it at roughly -20 degrees.
Just one of?

Good luck with that. Thanks to COVID fear we can't even bring our own bags to the grocery store. The host at the front counter of Applebee's will have to greet you in a hazmat suit and an autoclave. 
You know, now that you say that, I seem to recall hearing that Walmart was going no plastic bags a little while back (going 100% reusable shopping bags only), but I guess Covid may have put a delay on that. 

I am completely fascinated by this supply chain shortage.  (Although I am pretty bored by everyone's adventures securing hard to find snacks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JlYZQG3lI&t=540s

Pretty cool video from a few months ago talking about how some different issues led to this. It then goes into an odd direction at the end, but pretty interesting regarding Toyota.  

The part I find interesting is any item that isn't local can get hung up, for multiple reasons, and can get hung up, again, for a different reason.  There is a delay because the ship has to wait to get unloaded, then there aren't enough trucks, there aren't enough containers (truckers had to leave them behind somewhere to rush elsewhere), and on down the line. 

I'm wondering what you are all seeing in your own professions that are affected by this?

@FairWarning mentioned he was in wholesaling, I cannot even imagine the ****storm he has seen the last few months.  

I am in F+B, and with liquor in particular, you have months that pass without certain items available.  Moet champagne, Casamigos tequila, Don Julio 1942 (there are zero bottles of this in Vegas, last I heard). A lot of different stuff, and this is in NYC, different places have different shortages, I am sure.  I have heard Casamigos cannot get glass bottles, I dunno if that's true. But I know that for months, you cannot get any here. So Casamigos hasn't sold any in NYC for months. Millions in sales, one company.  And it's not like you can get those sales back, those months are gone.  

I'm in equipment rental (skidsteers, backhoes, generators) along with a fair amount of manufacturing. It's across all lines by every one of our suppliers effecting everything we are doing. Most are 6-8 months out when usually they are 3-4 months. Larger, more complicated equipment are 12-18 months. It's beyond ridiculous and will only get worse because we, like everyone else in the industry, are just buying every build slot we can and hoping we get equipment when we can actually use it. Everyone we are talking to are saying this will continue on into 2023.

I work in the tech mfg industry, we are facing chip shortages that are forecasted to continue through 2023. It's not a significant impact to current generation gear but the new generation gear is already getting pushed out with certain chipsets not even available.

I haven't noticed anything affecting me personally, and I'd say all market shelves are normal stock (hit and miss items being out of stock, which is normal, at least over the last 2 years).  I did notice last Saturday when running errands with my son, we pulled into Sonic to get a couple of Happy Hour sodas and they had a sign on all the menu/order stations something to the effect of "Due to supply shortages, some of your usual Sonic menu items and ingredients may not be available."  

First they came for our Jimmy Dean. Then our cream cheese. Then our Waffle Houses. If they take our Mozzarella sticks, we riot!

I work in the tech mfg industry, we are facing chip shortages that are forecasted to continue through 2023. It's not a significant impact to current generation gear but the new generation gear is already getting pushed out with certain chipsets not even available.
How does that work? Will they need to be retrofitted? 

How does that work? Will they need to be retrofitted? 

More or less yes.  You will have 90% finished goods waiting components as they can show up.  There are GM factories with completely finished cars missing computers sitting in lots.

Went to Waffle House last night and they had to shut down because they were out of gloves. Their policy no gloves...no cooking.
Nitrile gloves went from $32 for 1000 gloves to $164 for 1000 gloves during the height of the pandemic. I can get them now for $128/1000.

Went shopping yesterday, everything I had on the list was there, and shelves seemed full.

Now the car thing is ridiculous.  I've been trying for a few months, can't find what I want used anywhere W of the Mississippi, and new cars are going for $10K+ over MSRP.

Now the car thing is ridiculous.  I've been trying for a few months, can't find what I want used anywhere W of the Mississippi, and new cars are going for $10K+ over MSRP.
We just gave up and bought a new vehicle. Didn't make sense with the way used prices are going. 

One of my college buddies works for a Ford dealership and I asked him what he thought regarding the supply issues and he said it's gonna be a loooooooooong time before things get relatively back to normal. So we just sucked it up and bought a new vehicle.

Had to have one, and a new one was only about 5K over what a used one with 50,000 miles was. Crazy. 

We just gave up and bought a new vehicle. Didn't make sense with the way used prices are going. 

One of my college buddies works for a Ford dealership and I asked him what he thought regarding the supply issues and he said it's gonna be a loooooooooong time before things get relatively back to normal. So we just sucked it up and bought a new vehicle.

Had to have one, and a new one was only about 5K over what a used one with 50,000 miles was. Crazy. 

Yeah I think I'll end up buying a new one as well.  Just hard to pull the trigger paying that much over MSRP, but it is what it is I suppose.

I was looking for an inexpensive used car recently since my Sentra lease was almost up. New leases are ridiculous. To lease another Sentra would have been twice as much as my prior lease, literally so I decided to buy a used car outright.  Good and the bad. With the pricing of used cars, the buyout on my current Sentra is $4000 less than its current value. The car had $1600 in damage due to being vandalized not long ago. I sold the car to the local Nissan dealership as is and they still gave me a check for $1400 and paid the last three payments of $450. 
   As far as used cars, ten year old Corollas and Civics with 150,000 miles were still 8 grand. Decided to pivot and get a late 90s LS400 owned by an old dude who only drove it in the summer.  I’ll reevaluate when car prices stabilize. 

Went shopping yesterday, everything I had on the list was there, and shelves seemed full.

Was at a Honda dealership last week looking for my daughter,  mgr said everything is about 3 k over msrp. They had a civic in the showroom with a 54k sticker, he said they marked it up that high so they could keep it in there. He said people are crazy right now

Yeah I think I'll end up buying a new one as well.  Just hard to pull the trigger paying that much over MSRP, but it is what it is I suppose.
Yep. My wife and I joke all the time that our timing sucks for stuff like this. We started looking a year or so ago because our 2004 Suburban was getting older. My car (2016 Escape) was almost paid off so we only like to have one car payment at a time. 

On top of that my 14 year old will need a car in two years (we have a policy that whatever our kids save for their car we will match it), so we have to account for that. Then after that my daughter will need a car (rinse and repeat) - and THEN we have the college thing to pay for.

Being an adult sucks.  :lol:

This is why I drink.   :banned:

Was at a Honda dealership last week looking for my daughter,  mgr said everything is about 3 k over msrp. They had a civic in the showroom with a 54k sticker, he said they marked it up that high so they could keep it in there. He said people are crazy right now
Damn. I paid less than that for my wife’s Jeep and it was loaded with every option. So glad we bought it last December. We were going to wait until my middle son got his real license this May and give him her Highlander. She fell in love and we got it early and I’m so glad we did. Not looking for any cars for at least 2 years when my youngest can drive. We may have timed that all perfectly.

What’s weird to me is that cars seem like something people don’t “have” to buy as much as they want to buy. Am I missing some pent up demand where way more people have to buy something or can people just not be patient?

I am completely fascinated by this supply chain shortage.  (Although I am pretty bored by everyone's adventures securing hard to find snacks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JlYZQG3lI&t=540s

Pretty cool video from a few months ago talking about how some different issues led to this. It then goes into an odd direction at the end, but pretty interesting regarding Toyota.  

The part I find interesting is any item that isn't local can get hung up, for multiple reasons, and can get hung up, again, for a different reason.  There is a delay because the ship has to wait to get unloaded, then there aren't enough trucks, there aren't enough containers (truckers had to leave them behind somewhere to rush elsewhere), and on down the line. 

I'm wondering what you are all seeing in your own professions that are affected by this?

@FairWarning mentioned he was in wholesaling, I cannot even imagine the ****storm he has seen the last few months.  

I am in F+B, and with liquor in particular, you have months that pass without certain items available.  Moet champagne, Casamigos tequila, Don Julio 1942 (there are zero bottles of this in Vegas, last I heard). A lot of different stuff, and this is in NYC, different places have different shortages, I am sure.  I have heard Casamigos cannot get glass bottles, I dunno if that's true. But I know that for months, you cannot get any here. So Casamigos hasn't sold any in NYC for months. Millions in sales, one company.  And it's not like you can get those sales back, those months are gone.  
I deal in snacks and I bartend on the side.  I do know some about the liquor shortages - mostly from a shortage of glass bottles.  We couldn’t get Jack Daniels or Seagram’s 7 for a while.  The beer companies have had a lot of problems with glass also.  Champaign will be a big problem this holiday season.  

What’s weird to me is that cars seem like something people don’t “have” to buy as much as they want to buy. Am I missing some pent up demand where way more people have to buy something or can people just not be patient?
Well, in my case sure we could have waited two more years. But we drive that suburban to out of town hockey tournaments, vacation to Minnesota each year, and so forth. I'm not willing to risk stranding my wife on the road in the middle of Nebraska in the winter.

For us we didn't HAVE to have it. But a 2004 Suburban with 180,000 miles was on her last legs. Not worth the risk to me. And I suspect a lot of people buying right now are in the same boat. And some just don't care.

Well, in my case sure we could have waited two more years. But we drive that suburban to out of town hockey tournaments, vacation to Minnesota each year, and so forth. I'm not willing to risk stranding my wife on the road in the middle of Nebraska in the winter.

For us we didn't HAVE to have it. But a 2004 Suburban with 180,000 miles was on her last legs. Not worth the risk to me. And I suspect a lot of people buying right now are in the same boat. And some just don't care.
I’d put you in the have to category but I’d think the number of out of town hockey tournament people with 180k miles on their Suburban is probably not a huge market. I’m sure there are a lot of people who don’t care. Either they have more than enough money or $50 extra a month doesn’t phase them as they can always get an 84 month payment or lease the car. I’m just surprised that the demand hasn’t dropped because it is so hard and you are paying a lot more. Maybe the supply is so short now that even with people waiting it’s still bad.

Here’s 🍺 to hoping that when I do need another car that there’s a glut of build up and everything is pennies on the dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread