What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***WFT at GB*** -8.5 O/U 47.5 (1 Viewer)

They’re going to take that away from him because there is no common sense in the NFL.

I saw it when it happened but figured they wouldnt even review it because dispite how odd it was for Heineke (sp) to dive like that - Everyone in the world except for about five Green Bay fans know that that’s a touchdown

I hate the Redskins more than any other team but that is just a horse#### series of events.

Correct rule or not- We are all being robbed of a potentially closer game but because they’re dumb- they shot their own product in the foot.

No BS here- I think the NFL does this stuff on purpose because it creat controversy and more attention. There is no other explanation. 

Horrible play call. It was so obvious they were doing a sneak and GB was clearly ready for it. 

I hate the Redskins more than any other team but that is just a horse#### series of events.

Correct rule or not- We are all being robbed of a potentially closer game but because they’re dumb- they shot their own product in the foot.

No BS here- I think the NFL does this stuff on purpose because it creat controversy and more attention. There is no other explanation. 
This one at least makes sense with everything else they do.  Protect the QB at all costs.

The rule has been around for several years now.  Heinecke knows the rule (hopefully) and there was absolutely no need to dive there.  It was an idiotic play.

Looked more like a headfirst dive than a feet-first slide to me but what do I know
Doesn’t matter if you’re head first or feet first. 

Once the refs (assume the players intentions on their part) that the player is “giving themselves up” the play is over when the player is down. 

It’s so stupid. He was clearly diving for the end zone and bracing for impact, not downing the ball at the 1 inch line.

How anyone can think that rule is good is beyond me

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn’t matter if you’re head first or feet first. 

Once the refs (assume the players intentions on their part) that the player is “giving themselves up” the play of over when the player is down. 

It’s so stupid. He was clearly diving for the end zone and bracing for impact, not downing the ball at the 1 inch line.

How anyone can think that rule is good is beyond me

I don't think the ref even has to make a determination.  I think the announcers had that wrong.  If a QB dives it is the same as a slide.  No "intention" necessary.  Once their knee hits they are down.

I did not realize they’d changed that but yeah making it a ref’s judgment call about intent instead of an objective head vs feet question seems bad. I guess I get it with trying to emphasize safety but oof. A guy reaching to extend the ball forward is giving himself up? Ugh

On the 4th down play: Once the refs made the initial call ("Down by contact"), it became virtually impossible for Washington to get a touchdown -- because the replay would not be able to find incontrovertible evidence that Heinicke wasn't down.

The initial call was terrible, but replay had no choice but to let it stand.

I did not realize they’d changed that but yeah making it a ref’s judgment call about intent instead of an objective head vs feet question seems bad. I guess I get it with trying to emphasize safety but oof. A guy reaching to extend the ball forward is giving himself up? Ugh
I was wrong about the judgment part. It just has to be a QB- whenever they dive or slide it’s considering giving themselves up. 

I don't think the ref even has to make a determination.  I think the announcers had that wrong.  If a QB dives it is the same as a slide.  No "intention" necessary.  Once their knee hits they are down.
Right. Basically, QBs play by HS/college rules and everyone else is by NFL rules. 

Rule 7, Section 2(d)(2):

"When a runner slides feet or head first, the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet"

Rule 7, Section 2(d)(2):

"When a runner slides feet or head first, the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet"
Any runner?????? This nonsense isn’t limited to QBs????? 

If that’s true my mind just blowed up!

Right. Basically, QBs play by HS/college rules and everyone else is by NFL rules. 

It's a dumb rule, I agree.  I have WFT +8.5 so I have plenty of reason to be annoyed.  But even noting it as a dumb rule, it was still a really dumb play.  I'd have a lot more sympathy if it were a bang[-bang play and he had to dive to to get in.  But he just dove for no real reason.

And this Packer D is bad…but can someone tell them to stop every rush going wide letting Heinicke have easy rushes up the middle over and over.

That stat about the opponents scoring every time in the redzone against the Packers was pretty telling.  Took one of the oddest series of plays I've seen in a long time to break that streak.  Now here they make another stop.  Almost hard to believe given how much Pack D has sucked in the red zone.

Users who are viewing this thread