What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Packers at Lions*** (-8.5, 47.5) 12:30 Thanksgiving Day Game 1 (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
189th game in the rivalry. Green Bay leads the series by a wide margin, 105–76–7. Detroit has won the last 4 meetings and has a 7 game win streak over NFC North opponents.

NFL Stat/PFF Team GradeDetroitNFL RankGreen BayNFL Rank
W-L Record8-2-01st Place; 2nd Win Pct; 9th PFR SRS4-6-03rd place; T20th Win Pct; 21st PFR SRS
Points For (PPG)272 (27.2)6th (5th)202 (20.2)T20th (T20th)
Points Against (PPG)229 (22.9)21st202 (20.2)11th
Overall PFF Grade90.55th76.0 19th
Offense85.11st69.518th
Passing83.75th69.517th
Pass Blocking76.02nd73.83rd
Receiving77.76th68.422nd
Running86.96th74.618th
Run Blocking75.81st55.425th
Defense72.916th72.617th
Run Defense76.42nd65.217th
Tackling58.217th59.314th
Pass Rush71.319th70.023rd
Coverage64.224th77.712th
Special Teams73.919th73.620th

Garden-Johnson is tweeting about coming back in three weeks. That should be a good boost to our coverage.

Houston it seems like a December return, but there have been mixed signals. He should help our pass rush, but he was not as effective this year as he was last year.

Garden-Johnson is tweeting about coming back in three weeks. That should be a good boost to our coverage.

Houston it seems like a December return, but there have been mixed signals. He should help our pass rush, but he was not as effective this year as he was last year.
Yep and not sure how much they would trust him coming back. He was already a situational player. But I hope he gets a shot.

It is good that The Packers and Lions should play on Thanksgiving Day.
It is good that Lions fans should have something more than a turkey dinner to look forward to on Thanksgiving Day.

The game: To much offense for The Packers to contain all game long.
Lions fans will experience a "Happy Thanksgiving"
Book it...

Detroit Lions- 41
Green Bay Packers- 23

Yep and not sure how much they would trust him coming back. He was already a situational player. But I hope he gets a shot.

Limited snaps (23 - 14 pass rushes) but his win rate on all his rushes & true pass sets are both top 15 out of like 192 Edge rushers. Last year he was 8th in both categories.

AG bitches bc he freelances, can’t cover, doesn’t set the edge on running plays.

Somebody needs to sit down with the DC & have a come to Jesus talk with him. He. Gets. Home. He’ll do the one thing we can’t accomplish right now - stopping drives by getting game changing sacks.

Free the man. Let James Houston IV cook.

189th game in the rivalry. Green Bay leads the series by a wide margin, 105–76–7. Detroit has won the last 4 meetings and has a 7 game win streak over NFC North opponents.
Lions won 34-20 at Lambeau in week 4. I was there - it was ugly as a Packer fan.

Since then, the Lions have been going up…..Pack generally have not.

38-13 Lions

Lions Uniforms on Thanksgiving since 2017:

2017 - Throwbacks
2018 - Throwbacks
2019 - All grays
2020 - Throwbacks
2021 - Standard home
2022 - All grays

2023 - ????

Lions Uniforms on Thanksgiving since 2017:

2017 - Throwbacks
2018 - Throwbacks
2019 - All grays
2020 - Throwbacks
2021 - Standard home
2022 - All grays

2023 - ????
I love you brother 😂

been hanging around r/DetroitLions too much this year

when the Lions PR dept drops the Uni post on X there are hundreds of replies to the Reddit repost about if people like the combo, what is our record is in those colors, how we could improve the look, et al. hey guys what do you think of my redesign this is what I am hoping they go with for the new fit next year....

it's 4:15 EST and there are 415 losers fanatics online rn wondering how did Jonah look at the hour long walk through last night

Lions estimated no practice on Tuesday

• OL Jonah Jackson (wrist)
No Limited Participants estimated.

Looks like Sorsdal will get another start. This will be his second straight at LG after starting RG v the Raiders. He also filled in at RT for 36 snaps earlier in the year. Campbell has praised the job he’s done the past two Monday pressers.

Thinking the writing is on the wall for Jonah.

Packers have 16 players on their injury report.

:construction:

I might be a day behind, will see if there is a Tuesday estimate that was published this afternoon.

The Packers didn’t practice on Monday but estimated six different players would have been non-participants:

LB De’Vondre Campbell (neck)
TE Josiah Deguara (hip)
RB Aaron Jones (knee)
TE Luke Musgrave (abdomen)
WR Dontayvion Wicks (concussion, knee)
RB Emanuel Wilson (shoulder)

All six were injured during the Packers’ 23-20 win over the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday and could be hard-pressed to play against the Lions. In response to the injuries at running back, the Packers signed Patrick Taylor to the 53-man roster and James Robinson to the practice squad.

The other 10 players were all listed as limited:

CB Jaire Alexander (shoulder)
CB Corey Ballentine (shoulder)
DL Kenny Clark (shoulder)
RB A.J. Dillon (groin)
S Rudy Ford (biceps)
OLB Rashan Gary (shoulder)
LG Elgton Jenkins (knee)
CB Keisean Nixon (ankle)
S Darnell Savage (calf)
WR Christian Watson (shoulder)

Of the 16 players listed, nine have new injuries. Savage was designated for return from injured reserve and does not currently count against the 53-man roster.

The Packers have approximately 30 percent of the current 53-man roster on the injury report to start the week.

The Lions listed only four players on their first injury report, and three of the four were estimated as full participants on Monday:

DL Isaiah Buggs (illness, full)
G Jonah Jackson (wrist, DNP)
S Ifeatu Melifonwu (hand, full)
C Frank Ragnow (toe, full)

layer, Pos.Injury*MON.*TUES.WED.GAME STATUS
Jaire Alexander, CBShoulderLPLP
Corey Ballentine, CBShoulderLPFP
De'Vondre Campbell, LBNeckDNPDNP
Kenny Clark, DLShoulderLPLP
Josiah Deguara, TEHipDNPDNP
AJ Dillon, RBGroinLPLP
Rudy Ford, SBicepsLPLP
Rashan Gary, LBShoulderLPFP
Elgton Jenkins, G/TKneeLPLP
Aaron Jones, RBKneeDNPDNP
Luke Musgrave, TEAbdomenDNPDNP
Keisean Nixon, CBAnkleLPLP
Jayden Reed, WRChest(Not Listed)LP
**Darnell Savage, SCalfLPLP
Christian Watson, WRShoulderLPFP
Dontayvion Wicks, WRConcussion / KneeDNPDNP
Emanuel Wilson, RBShoulderDNPDNP
* The Packers did not practice on Tuesday & did not practice on Monday; participation reports are an estimation
** Designated to Return from Injured Reserve - Currently within 21-day practice window

Detroit Lions​

Player, Pos.Injury*MON.*TUES.WED.GAME STATUS
Isaiah Buggs, DTIllnessFPFP
Jonah Jackson, GWristDNPDNP
Ifeatu Melifonwu, SHandFPFP
Frank Ragnow, CToeFPFP
* The Lions conducted a walk-through on Monday & Tuesday. Practice participation designations for that day are based on estimations

Per usual for short week reports, we don't have a full picture since they're focused on recovery and just doing walk throughs. Safe to say the Lions are way more healthier going into this one.

Campbell addressed the Gardner-Johnson thing in his presser, kind of making a joke that he was being ridiculously optimistic because that timeline is not what coach has heard. Loves the attitude though and thinks it could help get him back quicker having that kind of mindset

yeah that sucks man

he's a good player, will be closely monitoring him in OTAs and TC next year - sounds like he is done for the year

they should shelve him and let Tucker Kraft run some routes, dude was very productive at South Dakota State (basically the d-II version of TE-U Iowa.)

are the Pack going to be able to run on Detroit? they're down to the underwhelming AJ Dillon and practice squad backs. surprised they didn't sign Lew Nichols off the Eagles practice squad. one of the handful of 7th rounders GB had this year; led the nation in rushing in 2021. injury settlement and cut after TC but he's healthy again now.

yeah that sucks man

he's a good player, will be closely monitoring him in OTAs and TC next year - sounds like he is done for the year

they should shelve him and let Tucker Kraft run some routes, dude was very productive at South Dakota State (basically the d-II version of TE-U Iowa.)

are the Pack going to be able to run on Detroit? they're down to the underwhelming AJ Dillon and practice squad backs. surprised they didn't sign Lew Nichols off the Eagles practice squad. one of the handful of 7th rounders GB had this year; led the nation in rushing in 2021. injury settlement and cut after TC but he's healthy again now.

Run? Doubtful. They haven't really been able to run on anyone.

As for backs...just think they needed someone quick and immediately and Patrick Taylor had been around a bit more and knew the offense better and had already been the 3rd back earlier in the year. I figured it would be him or Tyler Goodson coming back.

@sho nuff

They gonna let Tucker Kraft run more than 5 routes this week? I see Deguara is also on the report.
He should be running more anyway as the #2 option at TE...Deguara is a disappointment.

I take that back, he actually 13 and 18 the last two weeks. First 8 games - 49 routes run, 13 times they left him in to block.

He has been outstanding in pass pro, zero pressures allowed. Kind of not fantasy relevant as a second fiddle Inline but I would like to see him get some targets down the stretch. He was my favorite all around Inline TE prospect this year. His mentor was Dallas Goedert, another former Jackrabbit.

What I loved most about him is when he hurt his knee midway through his senior year, he didn't shut it down or rehab for the Combine. He came back and helped them win their first National Championship. That's my kind of player.

@Leroy Hoard line stayed the same but O/U moved up 1.5

This is a smash for Detroit to cover, right?

:oldunsure:

Right?

I am more confident in this game than the Bears last week. Packers run defense is trash, so Gibbs and Monty will both be huge. ARSB will of course will be ARSB. I expect lots of running and lots of short passes, which is good for LaPorta. They will take a few shots at Jamo, but that is hit or miss. +390 for a Jamo TD, not as tempting as last week as I doubt we need Jamo this week. I withdrew my winnings, but may go with Lions -7.5. Not a fan of the O/U as the Pack won't do much. The under looks better.

My favorite Longshot bet on the player props this week is Gibbs to rush for more tha 100 yards @ +550. May not hit, but I can see Gibbs breaking a 60-yard run this week.

Both Gibbs and Monty should exceed their O/U of 47.5 and 68.5 rushing yards.

Also did put a smallest bet on a Jamo TD at +390 just because.

My favorite Longshot bet on the player props this week is Gibbs to rush for more tha 100 yards @ +550. May not hit, but I can see Gibbs breaking a 60-yard run this week.

Not sure why but I see a huge game for Gibbs. I will even raise you 100 on the ground and a 100 through the air.

All-time record on Thanksgiving

Detroit Lions37-44-2
Green Bay Packers14-20-2

The two teams were perpetual opponents for thirteen years from 1951-1963. Since 1978, Detroit and Dallas have played every year (Dallas' tradition began in 1966 but they skipped 1975 & 1977.)

Detroit will be playing it's 84th Thanksgiving game since 1934, with the only interruptions being a six year hiatus during World War II.

The last time the Detroit Lions won on Thanksgiving.......2016.
The last time the Detroit Lions went to the playoffs.......2016.

MCDC: I do think it's special, it's a privilege to play on Thanksgiving.

Rapper Jack Harlow is this year's halftime performer.

Found this interesting:
The first Thanksgiving Day football game took place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Thanksgiving Day of 1869, less than two weeks after Rutgers defeated Princeton in New Brunswick, New Jersey in what is widely recognized as the first intercollegiate football game in the United States, and only six years after Abraham Lincoln declared the first fixed national Thanksgiving holiday in 1863.

On November 17, 1869, the Evening Telegraph newspaper of Philadelphia published the following announcement: "Foot Ball: A foot-ball match between twenty-two players of the Young America Cricket Club and the Germantown Cricket Club will take place on Thanksgiving Day at 12 1/2 o'clock, on the grounds of the Germantown Club."

The proximity of Philadelphia to both Rutgers and Princeton invites speculation that this game may have been played under similar rules and perhaps involved some of the same participants, or at least people familiar with the game played at Rutgers, and a second match at Princeton, earlier that month.

THE LAST TIME THE DETROIT LIONS WERE 8-2, THE YEAR WAS 1962:
  • John F. Kennedy was President
  • Marilyn Monroe passed away
  • The first ‘Bond’ film was released
  • The ‘Cuban Missile Crisis’ occurred
  • Johnny Carson became host of ‘The Tonight Show’

Not sure why but I see a huge game for Gibbs. I will even raise you 100 on the ground and a 100 through the air.
Gibbs for 100 yards rushing and 70 yards recieving parlay is +4300. Good for $20.

All-time record on Thanksgiving

Detroit Lions37-44-2
Green Bay Packers14-20-2

The two teams were perpetual opponents for thirteen years from 1951-1963. Since 1978, Detroit and Dallas have played every year (Dallas' tradition began in 1966 but they skipped 1975 & 1977.)

Detroit will be playing it's 84th Thanksgiving game since 1934, with the only interruptions being a six year hiatus during World War II.

MCDC: I do think it's special, it's a privilege to play on Thanksgiving.

Rapper Jack Harlow is this year's halftime performer.

Found this interesting:
The first Thanksgiving Day football game took place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Thanksgiving Day of 1869, less than two weeks after Rutgers defeated Princeton in New Brunswick, New Jersey in what is widely recognized as the first intercollegiate football game in the United States, and only six years after Abraham Lincoln declared the first fixed national Thanksgiving holiday in 1863.

On November 17, 1869, the Evening Telegraph newspaper of Philadelphia published the following announcement: "Foot Ball: A foot-ball match between twenty-two players of the Young America Cricket Club and the Germantown Cricket Club will take place on Thanksgiving Day at 12 1/2 o'clock, on the grounds of the Germantown Club."

The proximity of Philadelphia to both Rutgers and Princeton invites speculation that this game may have been played under similar rules and perhaps involved some of the same participants, or at least people familiar with the game played at Rutgers, and a second match at Princeton, earlier that month.

THE LAST TIME THE DETROIT LIONS WERE 8-2, THE YEAR WAS 1962:
  • John F. Kennedy was President
  • Marilyn Monroe passed away
  • The first ‘Bond’ film was released
  • The ‘Cuban Missile Crisis’ occurred
  • Johnny Carson became host of ‘The Tonight Show’

The Ford family brought the Lions on the same day Kennedy was assassinated...Nov. 22, 1963

I forgot they are on a 6 game losing streak. Also just recently found out Goff has never won on 🦃 day

This is just me looking at the roster (so maybe I missed someone), but

Name the three current Detroit Lions who have won on Thanksgiving Day in Detroit?

I forgot they are on a 6 game losing streak. Also just recently found out Goff has never won on 🦃 day

Name the three current Detroit Lions who have won on Thanksgiving Day in Detroit?

Taylor Decker & Graham Glasgow were drafted in 2016. Third guy came here from somewhere else…

David Montgomery
Alex Anzalone
CJGJ
Cam Sutton

(total guesses probably wrong)

I’ll go with LS Jake McQuaide for my 3rd

Taylor Decker & Graham Glasgow were drafted in 2016. Third guy came here from somewhere else…

David Montgomery
Alex Anzalone
CJGJ
Cam Sutton

(total guesses probably wrong)

I’ll go with LS Jake McQuaide for my 3rd
Teddy Bridgewater (2017) and David Montgomery (2021)...so I guess 4. Only two as Lions.

Lions Injury Report

LG Jonah Jackson - Out (wrist)

LP - none

Packers Injury Report

Player, Pos.Injury*MON.*TUES.*WED.GAME STATUS
Jaire Alexander, CBShoulderLPLPLPQuestionable
Corey Ballentine, CBShoulderLPFPFP--
De'Vondre Campbell, LBNeckDNPDNPFPQuestionable
Kenny Clark, DLShoulderLPLPLP--
Josiah Deguara, TEHipDNPDNPDNPDoubtful
AJ Dillon, RBGroinLPLPLPQuestionable
Rudy Ford, SBicepsLPLPLPQuestionable
Rashan Gary, LBShoulderLPFPFP--
Elgton Jenkins, G/TKneeLPLPLP--
Aaron Jones, RBKneeDNPDNPDNPOut
Luke Musgrave, TEAbdomenDNPDNP(Placed on IR)N/A
Keisean Nixon, CBAnkleLPLPFP--
Jayden Reed, WRChest(Not Listed)LPFP--
**Darnell Savage, SCalfLPLPLPOut
Christian Watson, WRShoulderLPFPFP--
Dontayvion Wicks, WRConcussion / KneeDNPDNPLPQuestionable
Emanuel Wilson, RBShoulderDNPDNP(Placed on IR)N/A

Color me not overly impressed with the Lions, their defense is their Achilles' heel they give up like 600 yards/gm to opposing WRs and 37 TDs not sure how or why we summarily dismiss the Packers here.. please enlighten me..
Love is hot as hell last 4 gms, Reed is a high floor high ceiling player all season in a game minus Musgrave AND Jones who the heck are they throwing to otherwise?
Reed.
studly game for him and Doobie bro. This game has whowever has the ball last wins the game written all over it IMO.
I think people want to put DEEEEtroit in the SB long before the game is ever played.
apparently no one told the Journey singer back in the day , that there is no such thing as 'south detroit'. doesn't exist. neither does a competent thanksgiving day from the kittens..
yay, go kittens!!
bet the pack, take the over probably a high falutin' affair back and forth track meet neither defense is good if I had to handicap it, packers defense is better. sneaky good packers bet here. way too many pts for the kittens to give up here.

I like the Lions but I'm cheering for GB tomorrow to at least keep it close. These Thanksgiving games kinda blow.

The country duo The War and Treaty will perform the National Anthem.

The last time the Lions won a Thanksgiving Day game, Aretha Franklin sang a rendition that took 4:35.

Hopefully the Nashville stars - by way of Albion - will deliver something memorable (for reasons other than the length.)

Line is now at 8, total at 47.5. Projected score: 🦁 28 - 🧀 20
MetMGM has the line at 8.5 now

You guys are a little more savvy than I am about betting. What is the general consensus when we see a line moving one direction or another? Or is it just a function of where the action is going and oddsmakers are responding to that? I've heard people say things like "oh the line just means that's where they'll get money on both sides", which seems like a hot garbage take when we see 80% of the money going to the Dolphins over the Jets tomorrow.

Line is now at 8, total at 47.5. Projected score: 🦁 28 - 🧀 20
MetMGM has the line at 8.5 now

You guys are a little more savvy than I am about betting. What is the general consensus when we see a line moving one direction or another? Or is it just a function of where the action is going and oddsmakers are responding to that? I've heard people say things like "oh the line just means that's where they'll get money on both sides", which seems like a hot garbage take when we see 80% of the money going to the Dolphins over the Jets tomorrow.
I'm of the opinion the final line is the line most accurate. Movement usually occurs due to injury updates that cause the updated line.

Users who are viewing this thread