What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

R.I.P. John Madden (1 Viewer)

Like most people, he hung on too long. But he was pretty good back in the day. He's never been replaced on MNF. He'll be waiting for Favre on the other side.

🥺😥

I knew it would happen eventually but Madden was my favorite football personality of all time. 

I didn't appreciate his schtick as much as others did, but impossible to deny his legend. RIP Mr Madden :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to love listening to him and Summerall call games when I was younger and can’t even recall how many hours of Madden I played on PlayStation. Hope he lived a good life and is resting in peace 🙏 

RIP. A whole generation of young people (myself included) fell in love with the game of football through his video games. I even remember a story I read that Amobi Okoye when he was drafted at 19, said he learned almost all his knowledge of who's who in football from the Madden games.

Obviously he's bigger than the games, but for my age range, he and Pat Summerall were the first voices we'd ever heard within the realm of pigskin.

Devastated by this news. As a Raider fan from outside the US, I knew of his name more from the video games when I was growing up as opposed to awareness of what he was able to do for Oakland, but was able to learn the influence he had both on the franchise and the NFL and the game as a whole. Thanks for everything John.

@FOXSportsPR: In honor of the incomparable coach, broadcaster, and leader - John Madden - @FS1 will re-air its documentary tribute, ALL MADDEN, tonight at 9:00 PM ET.

FS1 will also re-air the documentary tomorrow, Wednesday, Dec. 29, at 9:00 PM ET and 10:30 PM ET.

I was a Redskins fan as a kid in the early 80's.  Nothing made me more excited than Summerall and Madden calling their games.  Madden breaking down the hogs blocking will never leave my memory  :bow: :football:

Madden was a legendary coach that pulled me into being a Raider fan with his gritty colorful teams in the 70s.  He then became the voice of the NFL and meant football video games.   Some people hated his babbling while broadcasting but I loved it.  He was transparent.   He simply loved the game of football more than most and maybe more than anyone.   

Its basically impossible to summarize all Madden meant to most football fans, especially those over 35 I'd say, so I'll just echo what his former partner Pat Summerall used to say after Madden's interesting and/or funny explanations for things, "Thanks, John"

RIP John

You and Pat on a big game is one of my earliest sports memories. Didn’t even mind watching you do Cowboy games. 

Coach.

Broadcaster.

Video game muse.

Pitch man.

The man was very, very good at a lot of things.  Bigger than life figure.  Loved it when he and Summeral called a Cowboys game in the 90s.  RIP.

Sorry bit long, but no better time to share this story.

Background: Born in ’67, Dad a Raider fan and thus was I. Born, raised & still live in Bills country but loved the Raider image & revere ‘70s Raiders to this day (under 2:00 to go & need a score I'm picking Stabler all day)

Summer of 1989, I went to St Thomas U in Miami for a Masters (look at me! In sports management & needless to say, no career in sports). Was a very small school where Dolphins held their training camp at the time (coincidentally I had just finished 4 years at SUNY Fredonia (south of Buffalo) where Bills used to hold their camp.)

After 1st class at St Thomas I headed to practice field with another guy in the program (Phins fan from Massachusetts). Just a single field, no security so we walked on and tried to be inconspicuous by fence to watch practice.

End of practice we watched team come off field & Don Shula walks up to us, shakes our hands & says “Nice to see you guys. Thanks for coming out” (Two points here: 1. We thought for sure we were busted, 2. As a Raiders & Bills fan I hated Shula…then he goes and does that!? Such respect for the man.).

Madden had pulled into parking lot by locker room in the Madden Cruiser which was still very much a novelty. He was there to do preseason game & arrived couple days early. Players gravitated to him like a Hollywood star & guys already in locker room came out. They were like kids asking if they could check out the Cruiser.

Friend & I were in the whole scene & just mixed in with players to walk on the bus. Every player came up to greet Madden & tour the bus. And he was more than happy to invite every sweaty player (still in uniform) on the bus.

I walked off bus, opened my notebook & asked for his autograph while I struggled to mumble something about appreciation of him & Snake.

As you can tell from the above, he connected with everyone & truly loved football & being around the players.

I think one can make the case no person had a more positive impact on the NFL than Coach Madden. Well done, Sir. 
John Madden and Ed and Steve Sabol all had enormous impacts on how football is viewed and appreciated by so many.

Madden and Summerall were the voices of football to me when I was becoming a fan of the game. And yeah Madden could be incredibly folksy, but his simple explanations of the game helped so many learn the game and his infectious love made it all exciting.

And I honestly never realized just how great his record was as a coach. For coaches that coached in the NFL for at least a decade, he has the highest winning percentage of all time. That’s incredible.

I think one can make the case no person had a more positive impact on the NFL than Coach Madden. Well done, Sir. 

If you wanted to say “this one man is more responsible than anyone else” to explain the popularity of the NFL, he’s right up there with John Facenda and/or the Sabo family (NFL Films.)

Married to Virginia since 1959 - anniversary was December 26.

Has lived in Pleasanton, CA since 1967.

Two sons, both h.s. football coaches. Sent them to Brown and Harvard.

The whole point of retiring 12 years ago was to do it when he’s still young enough to go his 5 grandchildren’s games and see his sons coach and just spend more time with the family.

That’s some Hall of Fame family stuff right there, eh.

I learned the game, as a young person, watching and listening to John. He would explain simple things that just made me understand the flow of the game so much better. 

RIP Coach

Sorry bit long, but no better time to share this story.

Background: Born in ’67, Dad a Raider fan and thus was I. Born, raised & still live in Bills country but loved the Raider image & revere ‘70s Raiders to this day (under 2:00 to go & need a score I'm picking Stabler all day)

Summer of 1989, I went to St Thomas U in Miami for a Masters (look at me! In sports management & needless to say, no career in sports). Was a very small school where Dolphins held their training camp at the time (coincidentally I had just finished 4 years at SUNY Fredonia (south of Buffalo) where Bills used to hold their camp.)

After 1st class at St Thomas I headed to practice field with another guy in the program (Phins fan from Massachusetts). Just a single field, no security so we walked on and tried to be inconspicuous by fence to watch practice.

End of practice we watched team come off field & Don Shula walks up to us, shakes our hands & says “Nice to see you guys. Thanks for coming out” (Two points here: 1. We thought for sure we were busted, 2. As a Raiders & Bills fan I hated Shula…then he goes and does that!? Such respect for the man.).

Madden had pulled into parking lot by locker room in the Madden Cruiser which was still very much a novelty. He was there to do preseason game & arrived couple days early. Players gravitated to him like a Hollywood star & guys already in locker room came out. They were like kids asking if they could check out the Cruiser.

Friend & I were in the whole scene & just mixed in with players to walk on the bus. Every player came up to greet Madden & tour the bus. And he was more than happy to invite every sweaty player (still in uniform) on the bus.

I walked off bus, opened my notebook & asked for his autograph while I struggled to mumble something about appreciation of him & Snake.

As you can tell from the above, he connected with everyone & truly loved football & being around the players.
Awesome story!

Well, when you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football.

John Madden - Rating = 100

Users who are viewing this thread