What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wordle (1 Viewer)

The last two days I've made it in four tries. Each time I've narrowed it down to two possibilities on the third try and chosen wrong. 

Has it already been mentioned that this is basically the game show Lingo from 20 years ago? 

I played my first game today. Opened with SAUTE. Solved in 3. Probably retire with that record. 

Need to get two starting words out of E A R I O T N S L C

STARE

COIN_ (If S hits yellow) 

NIOCL (Used scrabblier for this word, may not be allowed.

I'm imagining that all this is how a lot of conversations progress (for days on end) at the retirement home.  

In before the 10K guys ask me to confirm in a few years.

It's likely been mentioned here, but I just discovered the archive.  Guess I know where I'll be for the next few weeks.  :bag:  

I just did an old one where I started with "adieu" and got zero letters, but still got the puzzle in three.  I rock.*

*Actually I'm kinda bad at this, so I'm celebrating my small victory.

Wife is out of town and I’m still hobbling in a walking boot so I’ve played the unlimited way too much the last few days.  Couple of thoughts.

- I still think if your goal is to solve it no matter the number of guesses then elimination is far superior

- I almost always try to use all 5 vowels in the first two words

- If there’s only one vowel in the first 2 guesses then I’ve had good success making the third word a word with the vowel twice to find placement and if it’s repeated.  SPEED, GEESE, BLOOD

- I think I’ve yet to encounter a word with a ‘J’ or ‘Z’ yet.  You can essentially ignore them.

Reddit seems to have figured out that the optimal first word is either AROSE or ROATE, followed by your second word being a word that uses none of the same letters as the first word but uses the remainder of the vowels.  
Yeah, but that's boring af.

Started with POWER today.

Explain hard mode to me. Why wouldn't you want to use the revealed letters?
It’s been explained several times.  If your goal is to ensure you guess it within the 6 guesses then eliminating letters is a superior strategy the vast majority of the time.  If your goal is to get it in the fewest guesses then using already exposed letters makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain hard mode to me. Why wouldn't you want to use the revealed letters?
Eliminating multiple remaining letters at once can be really useful. To use an extreme example, let's say on your first guess you put BAKES. The B is wrong but every other letter is green. There are more possible words than guesses remaining if you are forced to keep AKES. 

Simple example.

Your first guess is MATCH

Say all letters but ‘M’ is correct.

Should you reuse all the letters and guess 

CATCH

WATCH

LATCH

HATCH

PATCH

BATCH

Today's was tougher than expected after three tries but the only possibility finally clicked after several minutes. 

Wordle 211 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 211 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟩🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

In hindsight I should have spent more time on the 3rd guess trying to get the word correct... instead I used it to find the location of the known letters (or in this case find where they did not belong)... I literally couldn't get it right after 3 guesses because that last letter was already excluded.  Oh well, maybe tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread