What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roe v. Wade Overturned (1 Viewer)

I disagree - apathy was going to kill the dems in the fall.  That apathy is 100% gone...

The Democrats aren't going to lose the mid-terms because of apathy.  They are going to lose the mid-terms because they are doing an awful job.  You think some middle aged independent who is struggling to put gas in their car or food on the table and has rampant crime in their area is going to now vote blue because of this opinion?  Abortion is way, way down on the issue list for voters.

The Democrats aren't going to lose the mid-terms because of apathy.  They are going to lose the mid-terms because they are doing an awful job.  You think some middle aged independent who is struggling to put gas in their car or food on the table and has rampant crime in their area is going to now vote blue because of this opinion?  Abortion is way, way down on the issue list for voters.

I disagree, and i guess we will see. This will galvanize college kids and urban voters like crazy.  Women as well.  

Can you go to California and buy marijuana if you live in a State that prohibits it?  How exactly could Texas prohibit a person from getting an abortion in New York?  
I could be wrong in my understanding, but I thought they had polices or "bounties" in place that encourage people to turn in people who get them or help people do so.   Now if so (again, that is my understanding - I could be wrong) does similar hold for going outside the state or is that just for things happening in the state?  

No, I am not stopped in IL while buying weed, but I 100% could get in trouble as I transport it across the state line as I come home with it.  

Assorted thoughts after a night to mull things over...

SCOTUS really needs to identify the leaker.  If they don't, the country's political mistrust will somehow get worse.  The left will blame the right for the leak, and vice versa.  I don't necessarily agree, but a conservative writer on Reason wrote last night that if SCOTUS can't identify the leaker, Roberts should step down, even knowing that it would give liberals another seat.

The country is going to explode today regardless.

Joe Biden should keep his mouth shut today and not rant about a draft opinion from three months ago.  Anything other than "we're going to pull out all the stops to identify and prosecute the leaker" is just an unforced error (I guess I wouldn't have an issue with a speech consisting entirely of "we'll identify the leaker" but it still seems unnecessary).

I'm really, really pissed at Hillary Clinton and Ginsburg.  More pissed than usual at HRC.
It’s like they want to make decisions in private? 

I think you grossly underestimate how big of an issue abortion is for voters.

I love this argument. Not flawed at all. Ha!

Well, based on your emotional postings this morning I'm not the only one who has flawed arguments.  :shrug:

All I'm saying is that they still can get abortions - didn't say it wouldn't be a little more difficult for some but they aren't being prohibited from getting one somewhere else.

Well, based on your emotional postings this morning I'm not the only one who has flawed arguments.  :shrug:

All I'm saying is that they still can get abortions - didn't say it wouldn't be a little more difficult for some but they aren't being prohibited from getting one somewhere else.
Yet........   According to articles, Republicans are looking into banning it nation wide after Row vs Wade is settled

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2022/05/02/republicans-will-try-to-ban-abortion-nationwide-if-supreme-court-overturns-roe-v-wade-report-reveals/?sh=18f9c9f323ed

Republican senators have met to discuss legislation that would ban abortion nationwide, Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) told the Post, and Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) would reportedly likely introduce the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see the big deal here.  This simply becomes a State issue unless and until Congress creates a uniform law.  Abortions will still be legal and available in the United States.

For a low income woman in Houston, it doesn't matter if abortion is legal in Iowa. Its not available to her.

See my post above. Its not "a little more difficult." Its impossible for low income women. They can't go three states away to get an abortion. It will only be "a little more difficult" for upper middle class and upper class women.

See my post above. Its not "a little more difficult." Its impossible for low income women. They can't go three states away to get an abortion. It will only be "a little more difficult" for upper middle class and upper class women.
Yup. I imagine if this change occurs there will be a fund for low income people to travel started by planned parenthood or some other company. I’ll be a donor. 

Yeah, lots of logistics to overcome, for sure.  Like I said, it won't be easy but there were a LOT of mistakes that got them to this point in the first place.

And I see the "banning abortions" being thrown around here.  Are they banning ALL abortions in certain states? Or are they banning them after a certain time frame?

Abortion is way, way down on the issue list for voters.
It was. As I’ve written previously, most Americans were asleep about this issue; they weren’t paying attention. This is especially true of suburban women. They were thinking about inflation, the economy- what happens in Mississippi doesn’t affect them. 

All that changed last night. I suspect the reaction to this is going to be overwhelming. But we will see. 

Yeah, lots of logistics to overcome, for sure.  Like I said, it won't be easy but there were a LOT of mistakes that got them to this point in the first place.

And I see the "banning abortions" being thrown around here.  Are they banning ALL abortions in certain states? Or are they banning them after a certain time frame?
I can only comment on Texas, but here we have a trigger law that bans abortions automatically if the Supreme Court allows it. 

The law would make an exception only to save the life of the pregnant patient or if they risk “substantial impairment of major bodily function.” Doctors could face life in prison and fines up to $100,000 if they perform abortions in violation of the law.

After this passes 26 states are poised to ban all abortions, 15 immediately. 

It was. As I’ve written previously, most Americans were asleep about this issue; they weren’t paying attention. This is especially true of suburban women. They were thinking about inflation, the economy- what happens in Mississippi doesn’t affect them. 

All that changed last night. I suspect the reaction to this is going to be overwhelming. But we will see. 
People in blue districts get upset. In red districts they rejoice. Purple districts? There are hardly any left.

Single issue voters. If they got what they wanted, would they now feel free to prioritize other issues...expect better candidates, more competent candidates, more moderate candidates?
I'd say it's much more likely they'll move on to other issues to make their religious beliefs the law of the land. I'd guess gay marriage is up next.

Don’t think you’re going to jail if you refuse a vaccine. And you can file for a valid exemption. But  you’re right. Other than that, they are exactly the same. 
Judging by the last two years, no one will be going to jail because of abortions.  

Abortion will become a little more difficult. That’s it. That’s what’s going to unleash rage like we’ve never seen.

Couldn’t even tell this is happening by watching any of the Fox channels. You’d think if they thought they were in the right and reflecting the will of the American people, conservatives would be banging pots and pans on the rooftops. But it’s all “you can still get one anyway”, “they leaked our memos!” etc etc. one would think they would be more proud of generations of work. 

Only because nothing was really done about it before. Abortion WAS way down the list. This issue is bigger to them than school curriculum is to the right. It's the reason the decision was leaked to begin with.
What about the "them" that have been chipping away at this like a well tooled army for years?  Clearly, they are getting what they wanted and will celebrate this  for sure--

No one will go to jail for getting an abortion. You can still vote in your state for abortion. 

lot of waffling from the abortion is murder believers. 

Couldn’t even tell this is happening by watching any of the Fox channels. You’d think if they thought they were in the right and reflecting the will of the American people, conservatives would be banging pots and pans on the rooftops. But it’s all “you can still get one anyway”, “they leaked our memos!” etc etc. one would think they would be more proud of generations of work. 
Been talking about it all morning.

Would anything really change at all? Phsaw! You all silly beans are just getting yourselves worked up over nothing. 

Calling my shot. In 14-18 years we'll see crime in red states increase as compared to blue states and conservatives will blame liberals. 

it'll be interesting to see the decision and what it says

I know this - people are sheep. For the next 5-10 years, tell people that unborn babies have the right to live, the right to life, tell people how very precious they are and  people will start believing it again. There will be a temporary backlash, people don't like change ... and then we will progress as a country protecting unborn babies lives in every way now instead of almost every way

I'm happier about this than any other SC ruling ever 

I know this - people are sheep. For the next 5-10 years, tell people that unborn babies have the right to live, the right to life, tell people how very precious they are and  people will start believing it again. There will be a temporary backlash, people don't like change ... and then we will progress as a country protecting unborn babies lives in every way now instead of almost every way

That really hasn’t played out in other countries. Ireland and argentine come to mind 

Agree to disagree. 

So will child support start at 6 weeks since its a person?  Can you not deport the mother then as she's carrying a US Citizen?  Can a 6 week fetus be insured and collect if miscarried?   I'm sure Tucker will be asking these same questions soon---

Pushing abortions into the black market while preaching failed abstinence-only education doesn’t seem like a great strategy, Cotton.

I disagree, and i guess we will see. This will galvanize college kids and urban voters like crazy.  Women as well.  
Yeah...but they are lazy and don't vote.  They get fired up on twitter, and other social media.  Maybe some will make an effort to protest, but it's small....played up by the media of course, but it's small.  This has been the democrats problem forever--their base is lazyyyyyyyy---and I don't see this being a huge deal.

PLUS......although never truly shown by the left loving media, there are a lot of people that are pro life...lots and lots.  It's always portrayed like 80% of the population is pro choice and it's the 20% making this difficult.  And that isn't true.  And the pro life folks are much more likely to vote.

For those clamouring to have the "leaker" thrown in jail....on what grounds do you think this is justified?  What law was broken?  I am unaware of a single law that's been broken.  Is that incorrect?

That said, is there ANY scenario where the court would actually reach out to a group like the FBI to investigate this?  I have to think they'd handle this internally, no?  Events over the last 10ish years have already began to chip away at the confidence/legitimacy of the courts from the "sides" perspective.  

Users who are viewing this thread