What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roe v. Wade Overturned (1 Viewer)

So will child support start at 6 weeks since its a person?  Can you not deport the mother then as she's carrying a US Citizen?  Can a 6 week fetus be insured and collect if miscarried?   I'm sure Tucker will be asking these same questions soon---

all good questions - lets see what the decision is and go from there

me? I think a man is financially responsible (and physically emotionally too) at conception 

unborn's are covered under insurances sure - as for life insurance that could happen I suppose

For those clamouring to have the "leaker" thrown in jail....on what grounds do you think this is justified?  What law was broken?  I am unaware of a single law that's been broken.  Is that incorrect?

That said, is there ANY scenario where the court would actually reach out to a group like the FBI to investigate this?  I have to think they'd handle this internally, no?  Events over the last 10ish years have already began to chip away at the confidence/legitimacy of the courts from the "sides" perspective.  

I don't know about jail - but the Supreme Court has to stay a non-political arm don't you agree ?

Court stacking, leaking decisions etc..... unacceptable 

I just read this

"the preliminary opinion, which has not been independently confirmed by CNN, would overturn Roe v. Wade if a majority of justices decided to join, leaving state legislators to weigh their own abortion policies."

so each state would be deciding on their own abortion acceptance/laws etc

More than half of states could ban abortion if Roe v. Wade is overturned

If Roe v. Wade is overturned or significantly weakened, 26 states have laws indicating that they intend to ban abortions, according to the Guttmacher Institute. Nine states have pre-Roe bans that could potentially be enforced if the ruling is overturned, and 13 states have "trigger bans" in place, meaning that abortion will almost immediately be banned if Roe is no longer in effect.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/03/us/state-abortion-trigger-laws-roe-v-wade-overturned/index.html

abortion is not popular or wanted as much as pro-abortion supporters say it is IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Reuters Article:

Amazon to reimburse U.S. employees who travel for abortions, other treatments

Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O), the second-largest U.S. private employer, told its staff on Monday it will pay up to $4,000 in travel expenses annually for non-life threatening medical treatments including abortions, according to a message seen by Reuters.

The decision makes the online retailer the latest company to respond to Republican-backed state laws curbing abortion access, helping employees bypass them.

For those clamouring to have the "leaker" thrown in jail....on what grounds do you think this is justified?  What law was broken?  I am unaware of a single law that's been broken.  Is that incorrect?

That said, is there ANY scenario where the court would actually reach out to a group like the FBI to investigate this?  I have to think they'd handle this internally, no?  Events over the last 10ish years have already began to chip away at the confidence/legitimacy of the courts from the "sides" perspective.  

I don't know about jail - but the Supreme Court has to stay a non-political arm don't you agree ?

Court stacking, leaking decisions etc..... unacceptable 
I'd love for it to, but that obviously didn't happen.  That ship sailed with the nonsense that's been pulled over the last 10-15 years.  Public perception is what it is.  

I don't know why you'd lump "court stacking" in with "leaking decisions" either.  Those would be actions by two completely different groups of people, one of which is ABSOLUTELY political.

Anyone want to actually answer my questions above?

A lot of this seems overblown to me. Poor women in red states already had a hard time getting an abortion. Richer women can find a way. This doesn’t suddenly change.

So will child support start at 6 weeks since its a person?  Can you not deport the mother then as she's carrying a US Citizen?  Can a 6 week fetus be insured and collect if miscarried?   I'm sure Tucker will be asking these same questions soon---

None of these things will happen. You are conflating the pro-life argument that abortion is murder with the right wing jurist argument that there is no fundamental right to abortion in the Constitution. Abortion will still be legal in the majority of states, and for the vast majority of Americans who live in blue or purple states. 

Obviously if a state outlaws abortion based on their conclusion that a fetus is a human life, THEN you can and should ask these sort of questions of them. The deportation argument in particular is a good one I'd like to see tested. But there won't be any sort of federal law or precedent establishing that a fetus is a human being.

Reuters Article:

Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O), the second-largest U.S. private employer, told its staff on Monday it will pay up to $4,000 in travel expenses annually for non-life threatening medical treatments including abortions, according to a message seen by Reuters.

The decision makes the online retailer the latest company to respond to Republican-backed state laws curbing abortion access, helping employees bypass them.

The smart money is out there today buying up land on the blue or purple side of state lines.  

I for one am excited that so many people will soon be able to get fireworks, cigarettes and abortions at the same time.

I know that anti-Covid vaxxers have been making this comparison for months now. I suspect that most pro-choice women (which is the strong majority of women) find this to be a rather grotesque comparison. I further suspect that after last night they will feel even more strongly that this is the case. 
And yet comparison this decision(if it happens) to Dred Scott is ok?

Shakes head.

The Alito argument is "abortion is not deeply rooted in the Nation’s history and traditions.”

Alito goes back to cite to medieval and 17th century law to when women were chattel. Then uses the fact that women were traditionally denied rights to continue denying us those rights.

This is a big alarm for anyone who relies on rights not historically in existence—like those for women, the LGBTQ+ community and people of color.

And yet comparison this decision(if it happens) to Dred Scott is ok?

Shakes head.
Yes. 
Because 70% of the country does not want this, and they are going to be shocked and outraged by the decision. So I can’t recall a single decision in modern history that is going to piss more people off. You’ve got to back to Dred. That’s why I made the comparison and it’s very apt. 

I suggested this last night, but to add a little bit more...

If the opinion that's eventually released is the 15 week compromise Roberts was gunning for (i.e. Roberts flipped someone from the Alito opinion to something that preserves a diminished Roe), it was Alito or Thomas who leaked this IMO.

Not saying that's how it went down, but it's absolutely plausible.

If the opinion that's eventually released is the 15 week compromise Roberts was gunning for (i.e. Roberts flipped someone from the Alito opinion to something that preserves Roe in a diminished way), it was Alito or Thomas who leaked this IMO.

Yup, this leak was almost certainly someone attempting to advance an agenda.  To guess who and which agenda, one would have to know which way deliberations have gone since the draft was created.

If the opinion that's eventually released is the 15 week compromise Roberts was gunning for (i.e. Roberts flipped someone from the Alito opinion to something that preserves a diminished Roe), it was Alito or Thomas who leaked this IMO.

Anything’s possible but I doubt it. The Politico reporter asserted that this was a done deal. 

if rumors are true

state govt's and fed govt's need to move fast to reallocate moneys to help single mothers, poor mothers, revamp adoption policies etc etc

those are good things everyone can get behind I'd think
My church helps support a place locally that helps provide counseling to pregnant mothers/ mothers who have had an abortion, they help with supplies/ care, and even with helping support mothers who are in very dire straits(no, not the band). 

Yup, this leak was almost certainly someone attempting to advance an agenda.  To guess who and which agenda, one would have to know which way deliberations have gone since the draft was created.
I still don’t think it’s important, and I doubt we will ever know for sure, but my own guess is that  there’s no scheme and no agenda beyond “damn this is the biggest SC decision in decades and it’s horrible so let’s leak it!” Probably a clerk for one of the 3 liberal judges. 

I don't think its funny at all - offensive that you do to be honest

You think it's offensive that I'm amused by the absurd notion that everyone will agree on helping poor women and single mothers?

How many examples of the GOP voting against proposals that help poor women and single mothers would you need in order to understand that it will never ever happen? 

Reuters Article:

Medical tourism is already a thing. This will make it even more so. 

Frankly, talking morals and the question of whether abortion is murder out of the equation for a moment, there’s no doubt in my mind that society benefits from legalized abortions.  

Like those who have written no big deal, I suspect that reality is about to shock and overwhelm you. 
I think you are estimating this is a defined blue red line.  I have seen several posters that I thought were hardcore blue be happy about this decision. It is just as much, if not more, spiritual than political.  

I still don’t think it’s important, and I doubt we will ever know for sure, but my own guess is that  there’s no scheme and no agenda beyond “damn this is the biggest SC decision in decades and it’s horrible so let’s leak it!” Probably a clerk for one of the 3 liberal judges. 
only because they’re the minority opinion imo. 

Like those who have written no big deal, I suspect that reality is about to shock and overwhelm you. 

I think I'd agree.

Seeing lots of stuff like this on Twitter:

Things are about to get mostly peaceful.

And I hate this type of posting. This guy gets his zinger in against the protests. And all his side high fives. Then the other side hits back with something and back and forth it goes. 

I'm thankful you folks raise the level of discussion here.

You think it's offensive that I'm amused by the absurd notion that everyone will agree on helping poor women and single mothers?

How many examples of the GOP voting against proposals that help poor women and single mothers would you need in order to understand that it will never ever happen? 
It won't be long till we hear from the "its not my baby, why should I pay for it?" crowd.

I'm having a tough time with the idea that a clerk (for any of the justices) leaked it.  These are young attorneys with a phenomenally bright future.  SCOTUS clerk is like winning the lottery for one's future legal career.  Getting caught leaking this would end all that and very possibly end in disbarment.

I think you are estimating this is a defined blue red line.  I have seen several posters that I thought were hardcore blue be happy about this decision. It is just as much, if not more, spiritual than political.  
May be...but they seem to be happy about the decision from the standpoint of the legal matters at hand being bad in Roe....vs being for any ban on abortion.  I suspect the general public does not have that same understanding of the law like MT and others do (and thus would not be as happy about this decision as those who are looking at it more from the side of what the law is).  While "abortion" itself is not popular, the right to choose very much is.

I think I'd agree.

Seeing lots of stuff like this on Twitter:

And I hate this type of posting. This guy gets his zinger in against the protests. And all his side high fives. Then the other side hits back with something and back and forth it goes. 

I'm thankful you folks raise the level of discussion here.
I disagree with @BladeRunner on most issues, but I agree with him on one thing: violence will hurt the pro-choice movement. It’s unwanted and unnecessary and hopefully it won’t occur. 

Users who are viewing this thread