What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL WIS XII DRAFT THREAD*** (1 Viewer)

A pitcher with a 219 ERA+, 137 OAV+, and 142 WHIP+ in the modern era is supposed to be good, right?

Todd Frohwirth can lick my balls.

Players I have available that are better or near 131 OPS+:

OF Carl Furillo (130 OPS+)

OF Earl Averill (132 OPS+) (New addition to the block)

1B/3B/OF Bobby bonilla (128 OPS+)

OF Gene Woodling (131 OPS+)

1B Frank Chance (129 OPS+)

This is in response to the trade of good bats for good pitching that took place today. Ted Kluzewski (131 OPS+) for Al Hrabosky.

The market is set, people. All of the above is available, but I'm willing to listen to anything reasonable at this point. kthx

#### WIS. #### SimLive. #### dice. #### everything.

After getting my ### kicked 3 times by Mr. Phoenix, I'm finally winning a ####### game when WIS dumps it. I was up by four in the 9th. Seriously. #### this ####.

#### WIS. #### SimLive. #### dice. #### everything.After getting my ### kicked 3 times by Mr. Phoenix, I'm finally winning a ####### game when WIS dumps it. I was up by four in the 9th. Seriously. #### this ####.
TU, send a ticket to WIS to give him a win against me. I agree, that was bull####.

#### WIS. #### SimLive. #### dice. #### everything.After getting my ### kicked 3 times by Mr. Phoenix, I'm finally winning a ####### game when WIS dumps it. I was up by four in the 9th. Seriously. #### this ####.
TU, send a ticket to WIS to give him a win against me. I agree, that was bull####.
If that's possible it would be cool. If not, I'll go 66-96 instead of 67-95. Now that the meltdown moment is over it doesn't seem like too big of a deal.What I am worried about is starting a SimLive-based league when I've seen that happen twice - once in an exhibition and then now.

Currently on pace for a 36-126 season :goodposting:
'nuff said. Worst sim ever. Even SIM I was more legit. Quantrill, Harrier and all.
Honestly, this is getting a little annoying. This is way more legit than the first dice roll league. We all had good years, we all had bad years. Don't blame others if you mismanaged your picks. There was some serious strategy to how you used your picks based on the years you had. You were probably too busy #####ing during the draft to notice. I completely missed on an "elite" player, but you don't see my vaggie bleeding...

RockNRolen said:
Koya said:
Eephus said:
Currently on pace for a 36-126 season :X
'nuff said. Worst sim ever. Even SIM I was more legit. Quantrill, Harrier and all.
Honestly, this is getting a little annoying. This is way more legit than the first dice roll league. We all had good years, we all had bad years. Don't blame others if you mismanaged your picks. There was some serious strategy to how you used your picks based on the years you had. You were probably too busy #####ing during the draft to notice. I completely missed on an "elite" player, but you don't see my vaggie bleeding...
This is some serious ownage here.

RockNRolen said:
Koya said:
Eephus said:
Currently on pace for a 36-126 season :toilet:
Of course it's annoying. when you have a system that, since the onset some have called out as utterly flawed and not even close to a fair playing field, then just about everything about the league would be annoying.It HappenedEeph and J Franco - yeah, they must not know how to play SIM. Why bother putting in an effort when the playing field has so little to do with actual ability.or maybe that is why some folks actually like the set up. :unsure:

RockNRolen said:
Koya said:
Eephus said:
Currently on pace for a 36-126 season :bag:
Of course it's annoying. when you have a system that, since the onset some have called out as utterly flawed and not even close to a fair playing field, then just about everything about the league would be annoying.It HappenedEeph and J Franco - yeah, they must not know how to play SIM. Why bother putting in an effort when the playing field has so little to do with actual ability.or maybe that is why some folks actually like the set up. :coffee:
This whinedown could reach epic proportions. :P :( :(

RockNRolen said:
Koya said:
Eephus said:
Currently on pace for a 36-126 season :(
Of course it's annoying. when you have a system that, since the onset some have called out as utterly flawed and not even close to a fair playing field, then just about everything about the league would be annoying.It HappenedEeph and J Franco - yeah, they must not know how to play SIM. Why bother putting in an effort when the playing field has so little to do with actual ability.or maybe that is why some folks actually like the set up. :P
People who draft Bob effing Hazle in the 2nd round really don't have the right to ##### about the competitiveness of a draft.

RockNRolen said:
Koya said:
Eephus said:
Currently on pace for a 36-126 season :bag:
Of course it's annoying. when you have a system that, since the onset some have called out as utterly flawed and not even close to a fair playing field, then just about everything about the league would be annoying.It HappenedEeph and J Franco - yeah, they must not know how to play SIM. Why bother putting in an effort when the playing field has so little to do with actual ability.or maybe that is why some folks actually like the set up. :thumbup:
People who draft Bob effing Hazle in the 2nd round really don't have the right to ##### about the competitiveness of a draft.
:lmao:

GB this thread. This is everything that is right in fantasy baseball, message boards and technology in general.

It does not get any geekier than this, (well if Bob Hazle was wearing a wizard robe and hat maybe), and for that I am so ####### proud.

honestly, I don't think this setup is inherently un-even...

I think that if we do this setup again, there will probably be a team or two with a massive disadvantage and a team or two with massive advantages...

HOWEVER, as we saw, you can get teir 1 players in the 20th round... Its all about how you decide what is most valuable...

If anything, we didn't, on the whole, value relief pitching and pinch hitting enough... since almost no one has any relief pitching or pinch hitting on their teams...

I think that if we do this setup again, there will probably be a team or two with a massive disadvantage and a team or two with massive advantages...

HOWEVER, as we saw, you can get teir 1 players in the 20th round... Its all about how you decide what is most valuable...

If anything, we didn't, on the whole, value relief pitching and pinch hitting enough... since almost no one has any relief pitching or pinch hitting on their teams...
I have a whole freaking lineup of pinch hitters on my team, sir. No one wants to give up pitching, starting or relief, for any of them. Late in games, I can pull my ENTIRE starting lineup and still have a guy available to pinch hit for the pitcher.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a whole freaking lineup of pinch hitters on my team, sir. No one wants to give up pitching, starting or relief, for any of them. Late in games, I can pull my ENTIRE starting lineup and still have a guy available to pinch hit for the pitcher.
I have 2 guys on my bench right now who have over a .500 OBP in a pinch hitting role. How often do you need more than 2 pinch hitters?Lots of teams have good pinch hitting. Most of us just took the best hitter available in hitting years, especially the 1890s. (Hello, Jesse Burkett) The guys are just full time players with 500+ ABs.

I have 2 guys on my bench right now who have over a .500 OBP in a pinch hitting role. How often do you need more than 2 pinch hitters?Lots of teams have good pinch hitting. Most of us just took the best hitter available in hitting years, especially the 1890s. (Hello, Jesse Burkett) The guys are just full time players with 500+ ABs.
I like having a capable fill-in at every position, so that's why I went a little batty with bench guys. That, and the fact that I acquired two of them (Averill and GAVVY!!!) for two relievers (Miller and Holland) and overestimated the availability of pitching in this format.

I like having a capable fill-in at every position, so that's why I went a little batty with bench guys. That, and the fact that I acquired two of them (Averill and GAVVY!!!) for two relievers (Miller and Holland) and overestimated the availability of pitching in this format.
In a no-cap WIS league, it's good to have second options in case your intended starter schidttes the bed. My "bench" guys that can field (sorry Willie Keeler) have already gotten a good number of starts.

You know ... if we really want to test strictly our team-management mettle, we can play a league with everyone using the same roster and the same park :shrug:

You know ... if we really want to test strictly our team-management mettle, we can play a league with everyone using the same roster and the same park :confused:
I wouldn't mind doing a salary cap league again either with a lower cap than last time

I had a decent run of post-1980 rolls in the latter phases of the draft so I thought my bullpen (Hoffman, Rob Murphy, Dave Smith, Percival, Jim Brewer) would be a strength. Instead, it's been a disaster--I'm 1-7 in one run ballgames. The overall sample size is small and the sub-set of late inning IPs is even smaller but only Brewer and Murphy have been adequate. My mop-up guy (Frank Donnelly 1893 with a 1.62 real-life WHIP) has been better than a number of my real relievers so far.

I blame the dice for my offensive problems (last in Rs, second to last in OPS in a nominally + park) because of a bunch of meh hitting/bad pitching seasons early on. I figured pitching would be more scarce so except for Fred Lynn '79 I always drafted pitching when it was available. I hoped this would be enough to keep me near .500 but my pitching is massively underperforming right now.

You know ... if we really want to test strictly our team-management mettle, we can play a league with everyone using the same roster and the same park :tinfoilhat:
I wouldn't mind doing a salary cap league again either with a lower cap than last time
If we're going to do a capped league, I think we need to set a minimum salary for individual players. The $200K bench and bullpen guys were worthless.

:rolleyes:
People who actually know something about WIS would also recognize that was one of my better picks considering who was available during that year, and who was drafted later. Basically, that sentiment says it all - so when you win one of these (a legitimate one, not one where you are given a lap advantage), give me a call.I had a TERRIBLE season last SIM. Didnt ##### or complain. I took some chances, they all failed, and my team sucked. So be it. But this go around, Ive been pretty consistent in my whinedowns - half shtick, all truth though.

I'm telling you all -- same rosters, same park. WIS knowledge alone would separate the teams.
What does that even mean? Knowing the tricks to manipulate a computer program? That sounds like the lamest idea ever.
Might as well roll the dice 162 times. I think DougB is really overestimating the impact of managerial settings on the outcome of the sim. Batting orders, pitch counts, hit & run settings, etc. contribute to the results of course, but not to the degree that randomization or team composition do.

How about a below league average league?

For hitters one of AVG/OBP/SLG has to be below league average.

For pitchers one of ERA, WHIP, OAV has to be below league average.

Just spitballing here.

Users who are viewing this thread