What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (3 Viewers)

Why don't teams just go over the caps like the Lakers do, and the Knicks ( :banned: ) used to?
Money is more important than winning to most of the NBA owners. Buss turns a profit anyway, but I don't know if the other teams that go over the cap do. I know the C's had the 2nd highest payroll in the league - did they turn a profit? I figure they did, but I don't know.Other guys like Cuban go over and get left holding the bag - but that's chump change to him. Most other owners can't handle the financial burden of putting a top quality team out there. I have no idea what the Knicks' problem is - just horrible decision making there for a while.
According to some of the articles around the Ross Perot Jr. lawsuit against Cuban, the Mavericks' financial state may be worse than previously thought.

Why don't teams just go over the caps like the Lakers do, and the Knicks ( :banned: ) used to?
Money is more important than winning to most of the NBA owners. Buss turns a profit anyway, but I don't know if the other teams that go over the cap do. I know the C's had the 2nd highest payroll in the league - did they turn a profit? I figure they did, but I don't know.Other guys like Cuban go over and get left holding the bag - but that's chump change to him. Most other owners can't handle the financial burden of putting a top quality team out there. I have no idea what the Knicks' problem is - just horrible decision making there for a while.
Who do you think the Lakers success is more important to, Buss or Stern?
Buss.Stern can always make hay if another Jordan comes along somewhere else, or if the Knicks (or maybe Nets when they move) somehow become competitive again. Buss just has the one team.

Buss.Stern can always make hay if another Jordan comes along somewhere else, or if the Knicks (or maybe Nets when they move) somehow become competitive again. Buss just has the one team.
I guess you're right. It's not like the Lakers haven't put a poor product on the court before.

According to some of the articles around the Ross Perot Jr. lawsuit against Cuban, the Mavericks' financial state may be worse than previously thought.
True (I think I posted a link to one of the initial articles about this when it came out), but the insider response was that Cuban is playing shell games with all his holdings, of which the Maverics are just one, for tax (evasion) purposes (shafting the other Mavs owners in the process). So while the Mavs may look bad on the books (and in the playoffs), I don't think Cuban is having problems. He'll keep going over the cap to try to win, regardless of how misguided the execution might be.

I guess it doesn't clear enough cap space: @johnhollinger Which is why James Johnson might be next. RT @KDonhoops Hinrich to Washington doesn't clear two full max slots for Chicago 32 minutes ago
No but a guy like Joe Johnson won't likely command the max.
I disagree. Not everyone can get Lebron. And for the Bulls, Heat, Nets, and Knicks, having gone through the trouble of clearing cap space and NOT getting LBJ means they can either admit "defeat" and field a crummy team with the faint hope that Durant or Melo will come next year OR they can fill their roster with the best talent available, talent that they can afford.I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see Joe Johnson and Boozer both end up with max deals from the teams that lose out on Wade/LBJ and Amare/Bosh. For example, if the Knicks get none of the big name guys, they'll resign Lee at near the max and have a choice to either field almost the exact same team they had last season (a team that was awful) or add a piece like Joe Johnson, which would be a big upgrade for them. Same goes for the Bulls. Let's say they miss out on Wade/LBJ/Amare/Bosh and have money for two big names. You don't think they'd sign Boozer and Joe J to max deals? A lineup of Rose, Noah, Deng, Johnson, and Boozer wouldn't be formidable in a conference where the best team (Boston) is another year older?
You're right about the Knicks but I'm not sure about the rest. I doubt the Bulls would. Reinsdorf is reluctant to pay the luxury tax and Rose and Noah will be getting big contracts soon. He's pay the tax if LeBron comes. Or Wade. Maybe Bosh. That's about it. Thus, your Boozer and Joe Johnson hypothetical is highly unlikely.

Brit, if you're not going to go with OK City, I'd go with the Dubs. You're close and will prolly be in SF several time over the next decade. They're west coast. And they've got some young pieces that will be fun to watch develop.Minny is just a ####### wasteland. You'll never, ever, ever never be able to see them in person, and they're never on TV. Unless you're from Minny, I don't know why anyone would sign with the Wolves as a FA fan.
I'm not looking for a sure thing. It will be sweet if my Wolves ever pull themselves out of the gutter.Quality picks like Flynn should help, right?
The Dubs are a sure thing?I don't think the Wolves can blow it this year. Taking Cousins over Favors would be considered a risk that could haunt them if Cousins is out of the league in 4 years, but I think it's defensible. Although I'd take Favors 2nd overall if I was the 6ers.
Me and the rest of Wolvesnation want:a) At #4 take Wes (pray NJ is bluffing)b) Trade Jefferson and get Detroit's pick or something. If they do get that pick, take my favorite guy FAROUQ.c) After that, with #16 hopefully still in the wallet, do what it takes to get Cole Aldrich, even if it means overpaying a bit and trading up.Absolutely no way we can roll out RYAN GOMES and RYAN HOLLINS as starting NBA players, much less both of them! That is frankly embarrassing as a Wolves fan.
I do not want Wes Johnson. We need to pick players that have high ceiling superstar potential, even if their floor is lower. Johnson doesn't say possible superstar to me. our only potential all-star+ type player now is Rubio, and he's not even on the roster. Not gonna turn things around with players like Wes Johnson that are just 'nice' players, we have too many of those already. need to shoot for the moon imo.
I agree with this. We always seem to collect guys who are role players. Still need the star. If Favors is gone, gotta roll the dice on Cousins.

Why don't teams just go over the caps like the Lakers do, and the Knicks ( :thumbup: ) used to?
I'm terrible with the alias thing - who is "oneohh" again?

Why don't teams just go over the caps like the Lakers do, and the Knicks ( :thumbup: ) used to?
Not it.

Brit, if you're not going to go with OK City, I'd go with the Dubs. You're close and will prolly be in SF several time over the next decade. They're west coast. And they've got some young pieces that will be fun to watch develop.Minny is just a ####### wasteland. You'll never, ever, ever never be able to see them in person, and they're never on TV. Unless you're from Minny, I don't know why anyone would sign with the Wolves as a FA fan.
I'm not looking for a sure thing. It will be sweet if my Wolves ever pull themselves out of the gutter.Quality picks like Flynn should help, right?
The Dubs are a sure thing?I don't think the Wolves can blow it this year. Taking Cousins over Favors would be considered a risk that could haunt them if Cousins is out of the league in 4 years, but I think it's defensible. Although I'd take Favors 2nd overall if I was the 6ers.
Me and the rest of Wolvesnation want:a) At #4 take Wes (pray NJ is bluffing)b) Trade Jefferson and get Detroit's pick or something. If they do get that pick, take my favorite guy FAROUQ.c) After that, with #16 hopefully still in the wallet, do what it takes to get Cole Aldrich, even if it means overpaying a bit and trading up.Absolutely no way we can roll out RYAN GOMES and RYAN HOLLINS as starting NBA players, much less both of them! That is frankly embarrassing as a Wolves fan.
I do not want Wes Johnson. We need to pick players that have high ceiling superstar potential, even if their floor is lower. Johnson doesn't say possible superstar to me. our only potential all-star+ type player now is Rubio, and he's not even on the roster. Not gonna turn things around with players like Wes Johnson that are just 'nice' players, we have too many of those already. need to shoot for the moon imo.
I can hear this. Who would you pick at #4 then?

WojYahooNBA Pacers want NJ to take Granger into cap space, and give them No. 3 pick. Nets don't want to take $10 million hit on summer room. Deal dying.

Why don't teams just go over the caps like the Lakers do, and the Knicks ( :confused: ) used to?
:thumbup: Cant put my finger on it. Whoever it is has been the most bitter, annoying poster on this board since the Lakers won their 16th championship making it back2back titles, this past Thursday.

I can hear this. Who would you pick at #4 then?
favors if he falls or roll the dice on cousins i suppose. it's disappointing that we always slip in the lottery.

Hearing the Bulls and Clips are talking about Deng and #17 for #8. That would leave the Bulls almost $40 million in space. Hmmm....Bosh and LeBron max and Joe Johnson at around $10 million (unless he wants max from the Knicks who are going to be paying huge money to second tier players)

Hearing the Bulls and Clips are talking about Deng and #17 for #8. That would leave the Bulls almost $40 million in space. Hmmm....Bosh and LeBron max and Joe Johnson at around $10 million (unless he wants max from the Knicks who are going to be paying huge money to second tier players)
omg

They traded 17 to with Wiz with Kirk Hinrich.

Smart move by NJ going with Favors. Minny's gotta be excited too.

ETA: CONGRATS BRIT!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reason #2048 I love my wife: She just walked through the room when Van Gundy was on screen and deadpanned "He should only be allowed to talk when he's hanging on someone's leg"

Users who are viewing this thread