What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's thread about nothing (11 Viewers)

'shuke said:
Speaking of dogs, I'm pretty sure our 13 year old beagle shepherd has gone completely deaf. I had noticed some loss of hearing over the past year, but after we put her in a kennel when we went on vacation, it seems completely gone. Is this something we need to have looked into, or just a sign of old age?
She's barely eating now. I give her one of those small milk bone biscuits every night and she's eating some scraps that end up on the floor from my daughter, but I haven't put food in her bowl for maybe 4 days. Also, she went pretty much all day the other day without showing any need to outside. :(
Sorry GB, hang in there.
Thanks, man. I'm fine, just really worried about my son. Am I supposed to prepare him for the inevitable?
How far out in time is the inevitable? Don't talk to him until you have a general idea on when you're putting her down. The last thing you want to do is have the talk then let her hang on for days, weeks, months....old dogs can linger on a long time. Saying goodbye is a sad part of life and I bet he'd like to create some final memories with her before she goes.Sorry, GB. i've been through this twice; once with the boys. It sucks and I'm sorry.

By the way I suck at sports wagering like GM sucks at being tan and Woz sucks at everything and Tanner sucks at hating cats and Thorn sucks at knowing books and shuke sucks at not desperately wanting PMs and Krista sucks at traveling and SLB sucks at shirt wearing and Stu sucks at scaring chicks away.
does not compute

Thanks GM. I don't know how far out. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, has just gone deaf and not eating much. Still getting around fine. I guess I should take her to the vet.

Thanks GM. I don't know how far out. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, has just gone deaf and not eating much. Still getting around fine. I guess I should take her to the vet.
Yeah, I'd take her to the vet. The deaf thing is common in older dogs. My parents just put down their 16 year old dog. She lost her hearing years ago. Hung on for a while. Eating is a bigger concern, as would be her thirst. Are you noticing more water intake? The vet can do blood tests and if there's any cancer, it'll usually show up. It is possible that she's just not as hungry as she used to be. Any other abnormalities?Vet will give her a good exam. If the end is near, talk to your boy and let him know what's going on. It sucks, but this is part of life and he'll probably appreciate the father/son chat about it. He's too young (I think) to be with her when you put her down. That's a heartbreaking experience. But he can maybe go with you as you take her for a final hamburger at the drive-thru or something. Memory Box was a big hit with my oldest for Miss Cleo. It's been almost 4 years, but he still has that tucked away in his closet. If you have pictures with the boy and the dog, make a little slide show for him. :cry:

Divorce update: Finally happening. My wife fired her lawyer for not responding to her for a month. We've come to an agreement on everything and are now just going to fill out a package of forms to get divorced in the only county in our state that allows people to get divorced by mail, with no hearings and no parenting classes. I just have to fill out 20 forms, mail them in with $300 in processing fees, and the judge will sign a decree in 3-4 months. I'll be done except for making payments for years and years and years.

Woohoo!
I don't know how any self-respecting woman can justify collecting alimony. I really don't.
My mom collected it.

Married 1956 @ age 16 (dropped out of h.s.). Three kids by the time she was 19-1/2, a fourth at age 22. They bought a small cottage when they got married and started a business in the three stall garage across the road. Bought a 4-story hotel in 1959 they converted to a manufacturing business, and adjacent property that they expanded the business in the subsequent decades. Next year they bought a larger ranch they remodeled and expanded.

She participated in the business from the get go and throughout. Initially that included manual labor, later it was limited to doing all the bookkeeping and payroll. They had a string of 6-figure profit years in the late 60s and 70s.

When they got divorced in 1974, she got half of their net worth. The terms were 50% less the value of the ranch (he kept the cottage) with the remainder paid out over 10 years - straight line, no interest. It was a big ####### number, even by today's standards.

My old man always said he never would have become what he did without her. She deserved it. And yeah, she was self-respecting.

She went back to finish school, and managed a series of entrepreneurial operations (livestock feed store, golf course, restaurant/bar) with her second husband. Then she got into Mary Kay, and made Cadillac Director within a year (new caddy every year for the next 15 years).

There might be exceptions to your blanket statement.
So she got half of everything (which she deserved)and he had to continue to pay her a portion of what he made? It sounds like she was perfectly capable and after splitting their assets she had no reason to take his additional future income. Sorry if that upsets you.

Divorce update: Finally happening. My wife fired her lawyer for not responding to her for a month. We've come to an agreement on everything and are now just going to fill out a package of forms to get divorced in the only county in our state that allows people to get divorced by mail, with no hearings and no parenting classes. I just have to fill out 20 forms, mail them in with $300 in processing fees, and the judge will sign a decree in 3-4 months. I'll be done except for making payments for years and years and years.

Woohoo!
I don't know how any self-respecting woman can justify collecting alimony. I really don't.
My mom collected it.

Married 1956 @ age 16 (dropped out of h.s.). Three kids by the time she was 19-1/2, a fourth at age 22. They bought a small cottage when they got married and started a business in the three stall garage across the road. Bought a 4-story hotel in 1959 they converted to a manufacturing business, and adjacent property that they expanded the business in the subsequent decades. Next year they bought a larger ranch they remodeled and expanded.

She participated in the business from the get go and throughout. Initially that included manual labor, later it was limited to doing all the bookkeeping and payroll. They had a string of 6-figure profit years in the late 60s and 70s.

When they got divorced in 1974, she got half of their net worth. The terms were 50% less the value of the ranch (he kept the cottage) with the remainder paid out over 10 years - straight line, no interest. It was a big ####### number, even by today's standards.

My old man always said he never would have become what he did without her. She deserved it. And yeah, she was self-respecting.

She went back to finish school, and managed a series of entrepreneurial operations (livestock feed store, golf course, restaurant/bar) with her second husband. Then she got into Mary Kay, and made Cadillac Director within a year (new caddy every year for the next 15 years).

I think you've confused divorce settlement with alimony. It sounds like she deserved every penny of the divorce settlement. Child support would've been a given, if applicable. Alimony stipulations longer than a couple of years are usually absurd.
Exactly

That's a heartbreaking experience.
I THINK I could've gotten through putting down my 11 year old Rotty, which I got when I was a Soph in college, without crying if my sister hadn't been there. I was surprised when she wanted to go back to the room in the first place. I knew not to look at her, even once, so I stayed focused on the dog and I was doing exceptionally well for a while. One freaking sniffle out of my sister and I bawled like a baby for hours. I got teary eyed just now, but hey, I loved that dog. The decision is always a tough one. Mine had bone cancer and I selfishly drugged her up through the holidays. Some days were good, some days it seemed like she wasn't on any drugs or in any pain at all. The day of the scheduled event, she acted like a freaking 1 year old pup. I was having to carry her up and down the stairs previously, but she was sprinting up and down them that morning. I had second thoughts, but figured it was the best way to go out and went through with it that day.I probably would've still bawled my eyes out without my sister present. I'm not a parent, so I don't know what I'd do in that kind of situation with a child loving the dog as well. Less than 5 years old seems a little young to say much of anything on the subject, and I wouldn't fault anyone for giving the "Chipper went off to live on a farm" line. If the kid is over 10 and can't handle it, tough cookies.

Divorce update: Finally happening. My wife fired her lawyer for not responding to her for a month. We've come to an agreement on everything and are now just going to fill out a package of forms to get divorced in the only county in our state that allows people to get divorced by mail, with no hearings and no parenting classes. I just have to fill out 20 forms, mail them in with $300 in processing fees, and the judge will sign a decree in 3-4 months. I'll be done except for making payments for years and years and years.Woohoo!
Congrats! :banned: Try not to think about all that money you both pissed away when you could have done this in the first place. Something similar happened to me, although not to your extent.

'Drifter said:
'jplvr said:

Woohoo!
My mom collected it.

I think you've confused divorce settlement with alimony. It sounds like she deserved every penny of the divorce settlement. Child support would've been a given, if applicable. Alimony stipulations longer than a couple of years are usually absurd.
Exactly
Buyout/lump sum payment/transfer of assets, or in the nomenclature you can understand, divorce settlement, are all usually done in lieu of alimony. Generally if it's done within one year of the dissolution it's not a taxable event (think those rules have evolved as my mother's payments were not taxable to her or deductible to my dad).Anyway, we often say we're having a disagreement about semantics, but I think in reality we just process information differently. I see little to no difference between alimony and the agreement my parents executed in the mid-70s. One spouse (usually the woman) sacrifices educational opportunities and a joint decision is made for her to not have an independent career, but rather stay home (most of the time) to raise the children and maintain a comfortable home.

Not sure what the issue about being compensated for that sacrifice.

i have taken 2 years off from posting to return and let everyone know that I will be driving 700 miles up I95 transporting a pair of animals (no, not jzilla and tremedous upside) this saturday. its for all of you to figure out the who, what, why and how of this endeavour.

:hot:

i have taken 2 years off from posting to return and let everyone know that I will be driving 700 miles up I95 transporting a pair of animals (no, not jzilla and tremedous upside) this saturday. its for all of you to figure out the who, what, why and how of this endeavour. :hot:
taking kids to visit family in ny, ftw

Speaking of high school...I have my 20th reunion coming up. Agenda:Friday: football game against crosstown rival then have bar rented outSaturday: semi-formal event Sunday: family picnicSeems a bit much, no?
There's no chance I'm going to my 20th reunion, and even if I did, I think the agenda would consist of sharing a pony keg of Natty Light on some street corner. Your high school sounds like serious business.
That is some serious business. When they tried to organize our 10th, it broke off into 2 factions trying to declare themselves the real organizers with lots of childish arguments and name calling going back and forth. Apparently they were still in HS 10 years later.
:shock: Where have you been KRS?

f'ing Delta and their maintenance issues. Not getting in to PDX until 10 hours after originally scheduled. Time to begin drinking heavily at the airport bar

By the way I suck at sports wagering like GM sucks at being tan and Woz sucks at everything and Tanner sucks at hating cats and Thorn sucks at knowing books and shuke sucks at not desperately wanting PMs and Krista sucks at traveling and SLB sucks at shirt wearing and Stu sucks at scaring chicks away.I'm not posting my picks here anymore because they suck now. And it's because of all of you.this baseball season prior to posting picks in here: +40.39 unitsSince posting here: -1.61 units with four wagers to play tonight.Ok actually not that bad but I hate losing especially when I make other people losing. also I'm drunk shut up.
Just like the nard-dawg punching a hole in the wall this was a bit of an overreaction. Ended up winning the last four of the night and actually made a small profit on the day. Carry on.

'Thorn said:
'Frostillicus said:
'Thorn said:
'Frostillicus said:
'Thorn said:
Krista sucks at traveling and SLB sucks at shirt wearing
does not compute
say what now
here's where you lost mePS sorry shuke, that blows.
I don't even know what you're talking about. You and Josh Willingham are now on the list.
You're getting a little cavalier with that list, don't you think?
No. He's not even on there.

i have taken 2 years off from posting to return and let everyone know that I will be driving 700 miles up I95 transporting a pair of animals (no, not jzilla and tremedous upside) this saturday. its for all of you to figure out the who, what, why and how of this endeavour. :hot:
Oh.

Yeah, I'd take her to the vet. The deaf thing is common in older dogs. My parents just put down their 16 year old dog. She lost her hearing years ago. Hung on for a while. Eating is a bigger concern, as would be her thirst. Are you noticing more water intake? The vet can do blood tests and if there's any cancer, it'll usually show up. It is possible that she's just not as hungry as she used to be. Any other abnormalities?Vet will give her a good exam. If the end is near, talk to your boy and let him know what's going on. It sucks, but this is part of life and he'll probably appreciate the father/son chat about it. He's too young (I think) to be with her when you put her down. That's a heartbreaking experience. But he can maybe go with you as you take her for a final hamburger at the drive-thru or something. Memory Box was a big hit with my oldest for Miss Cleo. It's been almost 4 years, but he still has that tucked away in his closet. If you have pictures with the boy and the dog, make a little slide show for him. :cry:
Sorry to hear about this. I just went through putting my dog down a month ago. If you have the money I highly recommend calling a mobile vet to come out to your home and put your dog down. Out of the nearly 3k I spent trying to figure out what was wrong with my dog(cancer) that was the best $800 spent and will hopefully be able to do this with my other dogs when the time comes.

'Drifter said:
'jplvr said:

Woohoo!
My mom collected it.

Exactly
Buyout/lump sum payment/transfer of assets, or in the nomenclature you can understand, divorce settlement, are all usually done in lieu of alimony. Generally if it's done within one year of the dissolution it's not a taxable event (think those rules have evolved as my mother's payments were not taxable to her or deductible to my dad).Anyway, we often say we're having a disagreement about semantics, but I think in reality we just process information differently. I see little to no difference between alimony and the agreement my parents executed in the mid-70s. One spouse (usually the woman) sacrifices educational opportunities and a joint decision is made for her to not have an independent career, but rather stay home (most of the time) to raise the children and maintain a comfortable home.

Not sure what the issue about being compensated for that sacrifice.
Save your insults for the political threads. I don't want to piss all over this thread but money earned by both parties while they are together should be split evenly. I have no problem with that. Future earnings should be separate. In this very specific case where one person stays home and sacrifices career opportunity, the other sacrifices time and loses opportunity to spend with his children. What's the dollar value of that? Split what was earned when they were together and leave the future earnings out of it. It's my opinion and you can be offended by it and insult me for it all you like but I won't stoop to your level in this thread.

rover, do you get any benefit from marrying her off to somebody else or do you have to keep paying even then? 'Cause I have to think it's one thing to have to keep giving money to your ex-wife for a while, but it would be something entirely different to feel like you're paying for a new guy to live in hell and not have sex with her.

Users who are viewing this thread