What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2012 Thread (1 Viewer)

If the Steelers had a young QB that needs to get experience for the future I would start him today. Unfortunately the Steelers have 2 40 year olds. Plus I think Leftwich is hurt (shocking I know).

A win is meaningless but some effort and fight is desperately needed. Something they haven't shown in the last month

agreed, that's why i was thinking jerrod johnson at QB. certainly no reason to play batch or leftwich but maybe we'd learn more about johnson by playing him against the browns today. what's the downside? it would be nice to know if he could step in as a true #2 or #3 in the future but by not looking at him today, he remains an unknown and we go into the draft with less usable info.

i thought johnson was on the practice squad but i can't find it listed online anywhere. and i think it is crazy to start ben (who is still not 100%) in a meaningless game.

The offense needs all the work they can get together. Gotta prepare for next season and see which parts aren't working. Not a big shock to see the O-Line struggle once again. Cleveland won the battle of the trenches consistently.

'pecorino said:
i thought johnson was on the practice squad but i can't find it listed online anywhere. and i think it is crazy to start ben (who is still not 100%) in a meaningless game.
Jerrod Johnson completed 42% of his passes in the UFL this year.

So the Steelers hold the 17th pick in the 2013 draft. I'd like to see a playmaker on D at either OLB or safety. The draft seems to be strong at both positions.

I am as disappointed as anyone but some of the comments here make me laugh. Tomlin and Haley aren't going anywhere. Ben is not overrated -- he played a great game against Dallas but made one bad throw in OT. There were lots of blame to go around for that loss.

Ben had a bad game against the Bengals - no denying that - he was forcing the ball and just didn't look sharp. But the line also sucked and he was under crazy pressure. I realize that was only DeCastro's second start but my God he was awful.

I do agree some of the decisions made by Tomlin were beyond goofy. He definitely deserves some criticism and he needs to learn from his mistakes but the Rooney's don't make knee-jerk reactions. They aren't going to fire Tomlin after one 7-9 or 8-8 injury plagued season.
I'm sorry but Tomlin has been making goofy mistakes since he was hired here, except back then we had enough talent to minimize his bone- headed mistakes. The talent left over from Cowher is bare, and there is not much talent on this team any more. Pray for Ben and Lebeau's health cause without them this would be a 2-14 team. As you already know the Rooney's will not be getting rid of Tomlin anytime soon, But they should open their eyes and see the flaws which are Major!

So the Steelers hold the 17th pick in the 2013 draft. I'd like to see a playmaker on D at either OLB or safety. The draft seems to be strong at both positions.
LT or NT are a bigger need. Although if there is an elite safety I wouldn't mind taking one. But we would be rolling the dice with Adams, and Gilbert :yucky:

LT or NT are a bigger need. Although if there is an elite safety I wouldn't mind taking one. But we would be rolling the dice with Adams, and Gilbert :yucky:
Fairly happy with Adams. BPA at any of OLB, ILB, S, WR, RB
I like Adams too, Gilbert not so much.

'bucksoh said:
'Drunken Cowboy said:
'bucksoh said:
Fairly happy with Adams. BPA at any of OLB, ILB, S, WR, RB
I like Adams too, Gilbert not so much.
The last few drafts have been littered with picks on OL and DL; McClendon has shown he has been quite serviceable at NT when Hampton is out, you also have Ta'Amu and Fanguapo at NT to compete with McClendon; at T you have Adams on the right side and Gilbert could be good at LT, if you concerned about LT Max Starks performed well and should could be resigned cheap for another season or two. The Steelers have focused on the interior lines the past few drafts (2012 - 1st OG D. DeCastro, 2nd OT M. Adams, 4th NT A. Ta'Amu, 7th OT K. Beachum; 2011 - 1st DE C. Heyward, 2nd OT M. Gilbert; 2010 - 1st C Pouncey; 2009 DE Z. HoodThe primary focus should be at RB, WR, and S. At RB, Mendenhall will be gone, and Redman/Dwyer are both RFA's (they will be signed back) w/ Rainey and Batch (coming off another major injury) They should look at RB starting in 2nd rd; someone in the mold of a Doug Martin or Ray Rice (combo of speed/strength) would be great for O.At WR Wallace will probably leave, that leaves you with AB, Cotchery and Sanders at WR, I dont think its out of question to draft one in the first, but they are good at finding WR's in 3rd RD or later (Sanders, Wallace and AB all drafted 3rd or later); I expect them to start looking at WRs in the 3rd.At S, Clark and Polamalu are starters but are oft injured and aging, Mundy has proved his ineffectiveness and Allen is not getting any younger (I believe this will be his 10th season coming up). It is time to develop a S for the future, I expect that Steelers will look in the 1st for top S available. The last S Steelers drafted before the 6th Rd was Polamalu (2003). The last safety drafted, period, by the Steelers was Ryan Mundy in the 6th in 2008! It is time.LB and TE should also warrant some consideration as well, especially ILB. May not be a bad idea to go QB starting in the 3rd RD if a good QB falls into the Steelers laps, its been well documented that the Steelers should start grooming a backup for when (not if) Ben gets injured.Wishlist draft-wise:1st - S/LB2nd - RB/LB3rd - WR/TE/LB/QB4th - BPA5th - BPA6th - P7th - BPAFree Agent wise, I think its time to look for a better Punter. Butler was atrocious (that is being kind), we need to win the battle of field position, and that wont happen if Butler is still punter come 2013. I wouldnt be surprised if they shored up WR, P, FB, TE or (backup) QB via Free Agency.

I am as disappointed as anyone but some of the comments here make me laugh. Tomlin and Haley aren't going anywhere. Ben is not overrated -- he played a great game against Dallas but made one bad throw in OT. There were lots of blame to go around for that loss.

Ben had a bad game against the Bengals - no denying that - he was forcing the ball and just didn't look sharp. But the line also sucked and he was under crazy pressure. I realize that was only DeCastro's second start but my God he was awful.

I do agree some of the decisions made by Tomlin were beyond goofy. He definitely deserves some criticism and he needs to learn from his mistakes but the Rooney's don't make knee-jerk reactions. They aren't going to fire Tomlin after one 7-9 or 8-8 injury plagued season.
I'm sorry but Tomlin has been making goofy mistakes since he was hired here, except back then we had enough talent to minimize his bone- headed mistakes. The talent left over from Cowher is bare, and there is not much talent on this team any more. Pray for Ben and Lebeau's health cause without them this would be a 2-14 team. As you already know the Rooney's will not be getting rid of Tomlin anytime soon, But they should open their eyes and see the flaws which are Major!
disagree with respect to the talent level. clearly this team can play with anybody in the league but they come out flat and/or make dumb mistakes all too often. the problem is not lack of talent, it is lack of discipline and football IQ. let me give one specific example. as a rookie, big ben used to take sacks when we'd be at the 30 yard line in field goal range. he'd lose 10 yards and we'd punt. i used to tell my wife--just wait til ben matures and he plays smart football. he will learn not to take those sacks. um, well, i was wrong. same mistakes 10 years later.as for my draft wish list: 1) safety, 2) left tackle, 3) inside LB, 4) running back, 5) tight end, 6) wide reciever, 7) punter

We are hunting for an oline coach. With Whisenhunt let go, any chance Russ Grimm is looking for a spot? As I recall, Whis and Grimm left on unfriendly terms when Tomlin was brought in.

I really think Troy and James will be back, as well as Kiesel. Colon and Wallace are gone, as is Foote and Mendenhall. Starks will sign his annual one year contract.

The biggest need will be RB, and for some reason I am thinking they will bring someone in (a FA). They usually don't go that route, but I am thinking they do this year for that position. The draft will be interesting.

If they bring back Burress, that takes the spot of Wallace.

Should be an interesting off-season, moreso than last year.

I really think Troy and James will be back, as well as Kiesel. Colon and Wallace are gone, as is Foote and Mendenhall. Starks will sign his annual one year contract.

The biggest need will be RB, and for some reason I am thinking they will bring someone in (a FA). They usually don't go that route, but I am thinking they do this year for that position. The draft will be interesting.

If they bring back Burress, that takes the spot of Wallace.

Should be an interesting off-season, moreso than last year.
:X

Haley did a terrible job of calling plays to exploit the talents of his personnel. He pulled a reverse Belichick. Prime example: Wallace doesn't come back or go up to fight for the ball. He was an all-pro under Arians. With Haley, Wallace's weaknesses are exposed.

Despite this, I'm going out on a limb saying Haley will be back next year. If so, the offense needs some key personnel changes to suit the new style of offense.

My #1 concern is over the offensive line. The right combination needs to gel and work as a single unit. DeCastro was terrible in his 3 starts, but I'll give him a pass considering his body of work in college and the injury he suffered. Adams inability to handle a speed rush will get Ben killed one day. Beachum did one heck of a job for a 6th round rook. The week Lager played center and Pouncey moved to LG was brilliant. Why the team didn't try it again is beyond me. The o-line coach will be earning every penny of his pay check in 2013.

#2 is the lack of offensive playmakers in the new scheme. Without Wallace getting his fair share of 9 route targets, defenses adapted quickly to turn the Steelers into 3 and out KC chief clowns. Haley had better start coaching like his job depends upon it instead of like he's entitled to the job.

#3 Mclendon needs more playing time. I can't be the only person who noticed that when he gets in the game, good things happen.

#4 The secondary played pretty damn well even without Troy. Good tackling unit that kept plays in front of them for the most part. I truly believe taking the BPA for the 3-4 system is the best approach regardless of position. Improving the pass rush or getting an instinctive ball hawk would be a plus.

#5 Keep an eye out for Ben's eventual successor but don't press.

I really didnt like Arians but I actually missed the guy week 17 Haley has been so awful. Not only did they not reestablish the run game if their was a RB with a hot hand they would rotate him out. Brown and Wallace (more specifically Wallace) would just disappear for stretches due to the play calling. I would not be sad to see the guy go.

'Bojang0301 said:
Not only did they not reestablish the run game if their was a RB with a hot hand they would rotate him out.
Our talent to run the ball sucked. Here are the 5 worst rush AVG teams in the NFL...

San Diego 16 406 25.4 1542 3.8 96.4 Pittsburgh 16 391 24.4 1450 3.7 90.6 San Francisco 16 407 25.4 1507 3.7 94.2 Denver 16 404 25.2 1458 3.6 91.1 Tampa Bay 16 377 23.6 1320 3.5 82.5It wasnt about "establishing" anything. It was about running worth a damn, which we cant.The only hot hands were Mendenhall when he first got back and he then got hurt immediately again... and fat and still out-of-shape Dwyer.

Our lack of running is about talent. With a side-helping of no offensive continuity thanks to injuries.

'Bojang0301 said:
I really didnt like Arians but I actually missed the guy week 17 Haley has been so awful. Not only did they not reestablish the run game if their was a RB with a hot hand they would rotate him out. Brown and Wallace (more specifically Wallace) would just disappear for stretches due to the play calling. I would not be sad to see the guy go.
Haley is a stubborn sun of gun for sure. Why would he not run more no huddle?

Haley looked good early on, injuries took their toll. I don't think the problem is Haley at all. If anything, maybe he didn't adapt well to change. Hard to run your game plan when you're running out your 3rd string qb and rt, rotating Olinemen all over the place, losing wide receivers and signing a guy off the street, guys fumbling, dropping passes...

"the Steelers jumped to a 6-3 record and the offense was on pace to set team records, especially passing, and led the league in third-down conversions."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-offense-defense-went-opposite-directions-668599/#ixzz2GjnQIhOR

That said, it may be a moot point if the Bidwells decide he's the guy they want as their head coach.

Haley looked good early on, injuries took their toll. I don't think the problem is Haley at all. If anything, maybe he didn't adapt well to change. Hard to run your game plan when you're running out your 3rd string qb and rt, rotating Olinemen all over the place, losing wide receivers and signing a guy off the street, guys fumbling, dropping passes...

"the Steelers jumped to a 6-3 record and the offense was on pace to set team records, especially passing, and led the league in third-down conversions."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-offense-defense-went-opposite-directions-668599/#ixzz2GjnQIhOR

That said, it may be a moot point if the Bidwells decide he's the guy they want as their head coach.
Leading the league in third down conservions seems like a double edge sword. On one hand, it shows a very efficient offense. On the other, it shows a very conservative offense that is always in third down situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leading the league in third down conservions seems like a double edge sword. On one hand, it shows a very efficient offense. On the other, it shows a very conservative offense that is always in third down situations.
That's typical of statistics, it can be used to show one thing or another. For the year they were 5th in number of 3rd down attempts and 10th in conversion. The teams with the worst conversion rates are teams you typically equate with being bad offensively like AZ, Jax, KC.ETA: to go on to show how 3rd down efficiency could be a good indicator of offensive success, they were 6-3 and led the league in 3rd down conversions, then they dropped to 10th and went 2-5 the rest of the way. Teams higher in conversion rate include NE, GB, Denver, Atl.

That's typical of statistics, it can be used to show one thing or another. For the year they were 5th in number of 3rd down attempts and 10th in conversion. The teams with the worst conversion rates are teams you typically equate with being bad offensively like AZ, Jax, KC.ETA: to go on to show how 3rd down efficiency could be a good indicator of offensive success, they were 6-3 and led the league in 3rd down conversions, then they dropped to 10th and went 2-5 the rest of the way. Teams higher in conversion rate include NE, GB, Denver, Atl.
Good points. I think you also have to look at average scoring. Pittsburgh finished 22nd at 21.0 pnts/game. Those other teams you mention, NE, GB, DEN, ATL, finished at 34.8, 27.1, 30.1, and 26.2 pnts/game, respectively. All were top 7 in scoring.

Good points. I think you also have to look at average scoring. Pittsburgh finished 22nd at 21.0 pnts/game. Those other teams you mention, NE, GB, DEN, ATL, finished at 34.8, 27.1, 30.1, and 26.2 pnts/game, respectively. All were top 7 in scoring.
They were 13th after week 9 with a 23.9 average (.1 behind 12th). Definitely went downhill at the season went on.

'Grid71 said:
Haley did a terrible job of calling plays to exploit the talents of his personnel. He pulled a reverse Belichick. Prime example: Wallace doesn't come back or go up to fight for the ball. He was an all-pro under Arians. With Haley, Wallace's weaknesses are exposed.

Despite this, I'm going out on a limb saying Haley will be back next year. If so, the offense needs some key personnel changes to suit the new style of offense.

My #1 concern is over the offensive line. The right combination needs to gel and work as a single unit. DeCastro was terrible in his 3 starts, but I'll give him a pass considering his body of work in college and the injury he suffered. Adams inability to handle a speed rush will get Ben killed one day. Beachum did one heck of a job for a 6th round rook. The week Lager played center and Pouncey moved to LG was brilliant. Why the team didn't try it again is beyond me. The o-line coach will be earning every penny of his pay check in 2013.

#2 is the lack of offensive playmakers in the new scheme. Without Wallace getting his fair share of 9 route targets, defenses adapted quickly to turn the Steelers into 3 and out KC chief clowns. Haley had better start coaching like his job depends upon it instead of like he's entitled to the job.

#3 Mclendon needs more playing time. I can't be the only person who noticed that when he gets in the game, good things happen.

#4 The secondary played pretty damn well even without Troy. Good tackling unit that kept plays in front of them for the most part. I truly believe taking the BPA for the 3-4 system is the best approach regardless of position. Improving the pass rush or getting an instinctive ball hawk would be a plus.

How is that on Haley?

'Grid71 said:

How is that on Haley?
Haley caused the holdout and contract squabble.

Ding ding ding ... we have a winner!The Steelers were just decimated with injury. I don't know if it is a case of offseason training & workouts, or just bad luck but injuries, not only to starters but also their backups, killed this team. It is hard for me to remember a season when so many key players missed multiple games due to injury. At various times the Steelers were starting 3rd string players or players signed off the practice squad and in some cases off the streets. The shuffling on the offensive line became a bad joke.

Of course there were some questionable calls by the coaching staff, there always are no matter who is the head coach or offensive coordinator. When your team is winning these tend to be overlooked but when you lose they are magnified. Tomlin has his warts but I think he is a good coach and I would hate to see the Steelers turn into the Browns where they fire head coaches and GMs seemingly every other season.

Steelers 2013 Free Agents=========================

UNRESTRICTED (18) – Will Allen, Charlie Batch, Plaxico Burress, Larry Foote, Ramon Foster, Casey Hampton, Brandon Johnson, David Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Doug Legursky, Justin King, Keenan Lewis, Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Mundy, Leonard Pope, Max Starks, Mike Wallace, Greg Warren
I don't think the Steelers will use the franchise tag on Wallace so he's gone. Mendenhall's days as a Steeler are likely over as well. Batch is going to retire and Leftwich is hopefully gone too. Most pressing signings will be Lewis and Foster though I wouldn't break the bank for either. If the price is right I wouldn't mind seeing Foote, David Johnson, Casey Hampton and Starks return. I am also not opposed to the idea of bring Plaxico back for another season, especially if Cotchery is cut.
RESTRICTED (6) – Jonathan Dwyer, Jeremy Kapinos, Steve McLendon, Isaac Redman, Stevenson Sylvester, Emmanuel Sanders
I expect all of these guys to return with the possible exception of Sylvester. Hopefully Sanders won't pull a Wallace in the off season.Reportedly the Steelers will be approximately $16 million over the cap after they offer the RFA's their tenders. Ben, Timmons and Woodley will likely restructure their contracts which is where the bulk of the salary cap savings will come from. Polamalu counts $10.3 against cap so he may need to restructure as well but he'll definitely be back even if he doesn't. Ike Taylor cap hit is $9 million so he is another candidate to restructure. James Harrison will count $10.3 million against the cap next season and $5 million could be saved if he is cut so he could be be a cap casualty if he doesn't restructure. Colon is almost certainly gone even though they'll only save $1.5 million by cutting him -- he just can't stay healthy. Cotchery could also be a cap casualty as the Steelers would save another $1.5 million if they let him go.When all of the restructuring is done the Steelers will probably find themselves $7 to $10 million under the cap which doesn't leave a whole lot for signing many free agents. They will need to sign a veteran backup QB though but aside from Jason Campbell there isn't a whole lot out there right now.

When all of the restructuring is done the Steelers will probably find themselves $7 to $10 million under the cap which doesn't leave a whole lot for signing many free agents. They will need to sign a veteran backup QB though but aside from Jason Campbell there isn't a whole lot out there right now.
Matt Moore would be who I'd put at the top of the FA quarterback list(of guys you'd call backups). He'll likely have too many suitors for Pittsburgh to really have a shot to land him as a #2 though.

Reports surfacing that AZ Cardinals have contacted Steelers seeking permission to speak to OC Todd Haley regarding vacant HC position.

Reports surfacing that AZ Cardinals have contacted Steelers seeking permission to speak to OC Todd Haley regarding vacant HC position.
I am guessing Haley would be the man in AZ if Reid goes to KC or elsewhere. If Haley does go I doubt that Whisenhunt would come back to Pittsburgh since reportedly he and Ben didn't see eye to eye. Of course that was years ago so maybe they could work together.

This has all the makings of a very interesting off-season for our Steelers. They won't be re-building, they will simply re-tool, as usual.

I am guessing Haley would be the man in AZ if Reid goes to KC or elsewhere. If Haley does go I doubt that Whisenhunt would come back to Pittsburgh since reportedly he and Ben didn't see eye to eye. Of course that was years ago so maybe they could work together.
If Haley leaves, I would expect Steelers QB/WR Coach Randy Fichtner would be named OC rather quickly.

I forgot to mention that Kirby Wilson (Steelers RB Coach) was considered front runner for OC Job before he was badly burned in a house fire last year. So he may be in the mix too (if Haley leaves)

If Haley leaves, I would expect Steelers QB/WR Coach Randy Fichtner would be named OC rather quickly.
Would not be surprising though Steelers brass may not want Ben's QB coach as OC. The Steelers seem to want an OC that will suppress "Ben the Gunslinger". If Fichtner is named OC I wonder if they would bring Charlie back as QB coach...

I forgot to mention that Kirby Wilson (Steelers RB Coach) was considered front runner for OC Job before he was badly burned in a house fire last year. So he may be in the mix too (if Haley leaves)
This makes more sense to me. The Steelers think very highly of Wilson...

Last years draft class starting to really go down the drain
Amazing how immediately after the draft I was thrilled beyond belief and now 9 months later after 1 season the class is barely "meh". Injuries took some of the luster away, I know....
The disappointing thing to me is the Steelers knew that Rainey, Adams and Ta'amu had issues in college but drafted them anyway. I can understand taking a chance on one guy, especially when they fall into your lap like Adams did, but not half of your draft class. You're just asking for trouble. Hopefully they learned a lesson.

Amazing how immediately after the draft I was thrilled beyond belief and now 9 months later after 1 season the class is barely "meh". Injuries took some of the luster away, I know....
The disappointing thing to me is the Steelers knew that Rainey, Adams and Ta'amu had issues in college but drafted them anyway. I can understand taking a chance on one guy, especially when they fall into your lap like Adams did, but not half of your draft class. You're just asking for trouble. Hopefully they learned a lesson.
No lessons learned. I think Cowher had a calming force in his era and would prefer to draft much as he played, conservative. Colbert and Tomlin are both aggressive and have had free reign. It's just a repeat of the Mendenhall, Sweed class. They still draft talent but they are much more willing to take risks on guys like this.

No lessons learned. I think Cowher had a calming force in his era and would prefer to draft much as he played, conservative. Colbert and Tomlin are both aggressive and have had free reign. It's just a repeat of the Mendenhall, Sweed class. They still draft talent but they are much more willing to take risks on guys like this.
Burress and Holmes come quick to mind that were risky Cowher picks. Draft in general is a risky business as you are betting on young 21-23 yr olds and how they will behave after getting money and fame.

Burress and Holmes come quick to mind that were risky Cowher picks. Draft in general is a risky business as you are betting on young 21-23 yr olds and how they will behave after getting money and fame.
Was Bam Morris another?

Users who are viewing this thread