What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2012 Thread (1 Viewer)

This has all the makings of a very interesting off-season for our Steelers. They won't be re-building, they will simply re-tool, as usual.
this off-season feels different to me. team implodes, more potential flux at OC, defense is one year older (again), wallace and mendenhall both on the outs imo, heath miller with a significant injury. the list seems more daunting than ever.with a typical draft class, i expect the steelers to regress to 6-10 next year. maybe we catch lightning in a bottle with a pickup or two but i still have a hard time wrapping my head around a winning season in 2013.

This has all the makings of a very interesting off-season for our Steelers. They won't be re-building, they will simply re-tool, as usual.
this off-season feels different to me. team implodes, more potential flux at OC, defense is one year older (again), wallace and mendenhall both on the outs imo, heath miller with a significant injury. the list seems more daunting than ever.with a typical draft class, i expect the steelers to regress to 6-10 next year. maybe we catch lightning in a bottle with a pickup or two but i still have a hard time wrapping my head around a winning season in 2013.
Definitely more question marks this off season for the Steelers than I can ever remember in recent history. Keys to winning next season IMO hinges on a lot of variables that starts with the health of the OL next yr, resigning Mendenhall or drafting/signing a significant replacement as Dwyer and Redman have proven to be nothing more than backups, Heath's ability to bounce back after knee surgery, resigning Lewis, Troy and Harrison's continued health improvement, Woodley getting motivated and losing some weight, drafting/signing a real backup qb and/or Ben being healthy for 16 games and having a very successful draft that fills a lot of needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last years draft class starting to really go down the drain
Amazing how immediately after the draft I was thrilled beyond belief and now 9 months later after 1 season the class is barely "meh". Injuries took some of the luster away, I know....
The disappointing thing to me is the Steelers knew that Rainey, Adams and Ta'amu had issues in college but drafted them anyway. I can understand taking a chance on one guy, especially when they fall into your lap like Adams did, but not half of your draft class. You're just asking for trouble. Hopefully they learned a lesson.
No lessons learned. I think Cowher had a calming force in his era and would prefer to draft much as he played, conservative. Colbert and Tomlin are both aggressive and have had free reign. It's just a repeat of the Mendenhall, Sweed class. They still draft talent but they are much more willing to take risks on guys like this.
Burress and Holmes come quick to mind that were risky Cowher picks. Draft in general is a risky business as you are betting on young 21-23 yr olds and how they will behave after getting money and fame.
Was Bam Morris another?
Yes 1994 draft in 3rd rd.

Whoa. While it wouldn't break my heart to see that record, the Steelers' organization is too good to drop off like that. Damned near everything that COULD go wrong this year did. Ben for a full season will help a ton.

So did the Steelers jump the gun on Rainey? Now the girlfriend is saying no assault took place and is asking the state to drop the charges.

Colbert pretty much saying the obvious but by criticizing the roster he is taking part of the blame for this season as well he should.The Steelers have a lot of tough decisions to make -- it is pretty tough to have a good run game when you basically have no running backs so lots of work there. It will be interesting to see what they do with Harrison, Hampton, Colon, etc. and also to see if they are able to re-sign Keenan Lewis. Fun times ahead...

I read that yesterday(from Colbert) and I dearly hope his dissatisfaction with the running game means that they are going to "clean house" at the RB spot. Dwyer and Redman not only proved to be the one-note plodders I thought they were, they're also pretty redundant. Keep one, not both.Not saying I want them to spend an early pick on a runner, but getting in some fresh meat at that position is key. Yeah, the OL isn't exactly a road grading unit, but the lack of talent at RB with Mendenhall at less than 100% was glaring.

I read that yesterday(from Colbert) and I dearly hope his dissatisfaction with the running game means that they are going to "clean house" at the RB spot. Dwyer and Redman not only proved to be the one-note plodders I thought they were, they're also pretty redundant. Keep one, not both.Not saying I want them to spend an early pick on a runner, but getting in some fresh meat at that position is key. Yeah, the OL isn't exactly a road grading unit, but the lack of talent at RB with Mendenhall at less than 100% was glaring.
Redman is at least a good short yardage back. I expect him and Mendenhall both back next year.

That's about the only thing Redman has going for him over Dwyer, but yeah he's always been pretty decent SY runner. I guess he probably blocks better as well. I'd expect if only one of them comes back it'll be Ike.I think Mendenhall is history. I still think he's got talent when healthy, but get the feeling that the Steelers are pretty much over that experiment unless he'd be willing to come back stupid cheap. I'm not sure he will be.

'5-ish Finkle said:
That's about the only thing Redman has going for him over Dwyer, but yeah he's always been pretty decent SY runner. I guess he probably blocks better as well. I'd expect if only one of them comes back it'll be Ike.I think Mendenhall is history. I still think he's got talent when healthy, but get the feeling that the Steelers are pretty much over that experiment unless he'd be willing to come back stupid cheap. I'm not sure he will be.
The thing is most teams have a situation at RB much better than us. Most teams backups are easily better, or at least unproven fairly high draft picks, than Redman and Dwyer.Just considering need and depth and not some team just giving him a crazy offer out of nowhere, the Jets, Packers, Falcons, and of course the Cardinals really look like the only likely landing spots. Maybe Chargers or Lions due to the injury questions of their starters but running down the list of teams its alarming how bad our RBs are after Mendenhall. I think we should be able to re-sign him at a very reasonable, possibly below market value for his talent contract considering the injury and year he is coming off of, IF they are interested. I think that would probably be the best thing for the team keeping in mind the other positional needs of the draft, but I would be pretty happy if say they got Eddie Lacy.

'5-ish Finkle said:
That's about the only thing Redman has going for him over Dwyer, but yeah he's always been pretty decent SY runner. I guess he probably blocks better as well. I'd expect if only one of them comes back it'll be Ike.

I think Mendenhall is history. I still think he's got talent when healthy, but get the feeling that the Steelers are pretty much over that experiment unless he'd be willing to come back stupid cheap. I'm not sure he will be.
The thing is most teams have a situation at RB much better than us. Most teams backups are easily better, or at least unproven fairly high draft picks, than Redman and Dwyer.Just considering need and depth and not some team just giving him a crazy offer out of nowhere, the Jets, Packers, Falcons, and of course the Cardinals really look like the only likely landing spots. Maybe Chargers or Lions due to the injury questions of their starters but running down the list of teams its alarming how bad our RBs are after Mendenhall.

I think we should be able to re-sign him at a very reasonable, possibly below market value for his talent contract considering the injury and year he is coming off of, IF they are interested. I think that would probably be the best thing for the team keeping in mind the other positional needs of the draft, but I would be pretty happy if say they got Eddie Lacy.
I would love him at our 2nd pick. Our 1st is too early, and I think our 2nd is too late. For a draft that's good and deep in OL, DL and edge rusher/OLBs, I think we would be best served by sticking with BPA since we need all 3 spots this draft is good for. Get an extra RB where the value for the position falls - probably in the 4th round. We can get plenty of street FAs before mini camps that wouldn't be too far off from what we started all year long. Cheap, young, warm bodies at RB are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, a difference maker at RB would be very nice, but I believe in settling things up front first. Our pass rush was weak this year, leading to fewer turnovers on D. Harrison is old and broken down. Our safeties are getting old and Polo hasn't been healthy in forever. Hampton needs to be replaced if McClendon is not ready, and if he is a backup needs to be in place. Depth at DE is needed. All of these spots on LeBeau's defense take at least a couple years to assimilate, and another competitive body on the OL is needed, for depth if nothing else.

Really, you could make a case for every offensive position except QB (and even that for a backup). Top end WR, RB, another TE, T, G. This draft seems wide open for us.

Balt/NE was a horrible game to watch being a steelers fan, but my hate for Brady/NE is much more than Balt, so had to "cheer" for the ravens.As for SF/Balt game, i am back on the hate train for Balt, even though a win will give SF will their 6th title.

'ClownDogs said:
Balt/NE was a horrible game to watch being a steelers fan, but my hate for Brady/NE is much more than Balt, so had to "cheer" for the ravens.As for SF/Balt game, i am back on the hate train for Balt, even though a win will give SF will their 6th title.
This...

how a steelers fan could ever root for the ravens is beyond me. and, no, i didn't root for the pats on sunday, either. it is possible to watch an entire NFL game while despising both teams, usually accompanied by a 3-hour scowl and rooting for neither. two AFC cahmpionship games in a row like that has been tough but it worked out last year. go Niners!

We all know Wallace is as good as gone. When he is, do they replace him with someone via FA or the draft? His replacement, at least for the next year or two, might be on the bench right now. Plaxico. :shrug:Anyone else think Plax can contribute as much as whatever FA or draftee the Steelers could get?

We all know Wallace is as good as gone. When he is, do they replace him with someone via FA or the draft? His replacement, at least for the next year or two, might be on the bench right now. Plaxico. :shrug:Anyone else think Plax can contribute as much as whatever FA or draftee the Steelers could get?
I don't see Plax as a replacement for Wallace at all. I like Plax as a red-zone target but the Steelers could use a speed guy now that Wallace is gone.

Ratbirds are so much better than us it isnt funny.One good thing that comes out of this though is Flacco is going to be getting paid and have a huge cap hit for them now. I also think losing Lewis (and potentially Reed) will hurt them more than most will anticipate going into next year.

Ratbirds are so much better than us it isnt funny.

One good thing that comes out of this though is Flacco is going to be getting paid and have a huge cap hit for them now. I also think losing Lewis (and potentially Reed) will hurt them more than most will anticipate going into next year.
Ravens are better than the Steelers, agreed. but not that much better. pittsburgh beat baltimore when they were at home with Charlie Batch at the helm, and it could be argued that the Steelers should have/could have won at home against the Ravens behind Byron Leftwich. also, i think the loss of Ray Lewis helps the Ravens or at worst has a neutral effect. he has been a liability this year and now they can move on with a younger ILB. the biggest factor here is indeed Flacco's massive new contract which should limit the Ravens in some other areas. even so, the Ravens look to be moving in the right direction while the Steelers are a mess, imo.

'pecorino said:
'Kenny Powers said:

One good thing that comes out of this though is Flacco is going to be getting paid and have a huge cap hit for them now. I also think losing Lewis (and potentially Reed) will hurt them more than most will anticipate going into next year.
Ravens are better than the Steelers, agreed. but not that much better. pittsburgh beat baltimore when they were at home with Charlie Batch at the helm, and it could be argued that the Steelers should have/could have won at home against the Ravens behind Byron Leftwich. also, i think the loss of Ray Lewis helps the Ravens or at worst has a neutral effect. he has been a liability this year and now they can move on with a younger ILB. the biggest factor here is indeed Flacco's massive new contract which should limit the Ravens in some other areas. even so, the Ravens look to be moving in the right direction while the Steelers are a mess, imo.
I think both teams have almost identical chances of winning the superbowl this season. If either stay relatively healthy, get a few balls to bounce their way, and get hot late, they'll be as likely as anyone to win it all.The best thing about Flaco getting paid is that I'm not sure he's worth the money he'll get. Sure, he had a great playoff run, but one stretch of games doesn't make a QB elite or deserve elite money. Heck, even in the Superbowl he made 3 or 4 throws that we're completed that could have been easily intercepted. Those are the difference between winning and losing.

Bottom line, I'd take Ben over Flacco everyday.

'Copeman said:
What about Cedric Benson for 1 year? I always liked how tough he runs. He have any gas left in the tank?
Considering how the GB running game looked with him (pretty good) and without him (pretty bad) I would think theyd keep him but maybe they draft someone high.With Ahmad Bradshaw being released, I would hope the Steelers would at least give him a call. As I said in a previous post, not too many teams have a need at RB so I dont think many will really be calling him. I think he'd be a nice fit here and seems to be a tough player with good leadership and a team guy. I dont think he's going to sign somewhere to be a backup either. The injury concerns will probably scare off some teams as welll.ETA: and Bradshaw is only 26, had only 90 carries total his first 2 seasons. He should have a lot left in him, I could see him being the type of guy who basically plays here the rest of his career if we were to sign him.

'Blick said:
'pecorino said:
'Kenny Powers said:

I think both teams have almost identical chances of winning the superbowl this season. If either stay relatively healthy, get a few balls to bounce their way, and get hot late, they'll be as likely as anyone to win it all.The best thing about Flaco getting paid is that I'm not sure he's worth the money he'll get. Sure, he had a great playoff run, but one stretch of games doesn't make a QB elite or deserve elite money. Heck, even in the Superbowl he made 3 or 4 throws that we're completed that could have been easily intercepted. Those are the difference between winning and losing.

couldn't disagree more about the steelers playoff chances in 2013. they ended the season in disarray, have question marks throughout their roster and mike tomlin's warts are starting to show. they seem more like a 7-9 team than a playoff team while the Ravens are a lock to win 10 games next year even with an overpaid Flacco.

'Copeman said:
What about Cedric Benson for 1 year? I always liked how tough he runs. He have any gas left in the tank?
Considering how the GB running game looked with him (pretty good) and without him (pretty bad) I would think theyd keep him but maybe they draft someone high.With Ahmad Bradshaw being released, I would hope the Steelers would at least give him a call. As I said in a previous post, not too many teams have a need at RB so I dont think many will really be calling him. I think he'd be a nice fit here and seems to be a tough player with good leadership and a team guy. I dont think he's going to sign somewhere to be a backup either. The injury concerns will probably scare off some teams as welll.ETA: and Bradshaw is only 26, had only 90 carries total his first 2 seasons. He should have a lot left in him, I could see him being the type of guy who basically plays here the rest of his career if we were to sign him.
Bradshaw can't stay healthy and will cost too much.

'Blick said:
'pecorino said:
'Kenny Powers said:

couldn't disagree more about the steelers playoff chances in 2013. they ended the season in disarray, have question marks throughout their roster and mike tomlin's warts are starting to show. they seem more like a 7-9 team than a playoff team while the Ravens are a lock to win 10 games next year even with an overpaid Flacco.
Vegas has Baltimore at 14:1 and the Steelers at 18:1. I think I'll take the Steeler's odds. As long as Ben is upright, they have a chance.

'Copeman said:
:goodposting: The vet minimum would be too much for Steelers considering $ woesThey will either draft someone or pick up a UDFA or 2 to back up Redman/Dwyer/Batch

'Copeman said:
:goodposting: The vet minimum would be too much for Steelers considering $ woesThey will either draft someone or pick up a UDFA or 2 to back up Redman/Dwyer/Batch
Now he probably would cost too much considering our cap situation, but I think we need the draft picks for other positions honestly, unless theyre going all-in for one of the best RB talents, but even then again Id rather not use a top 3 pick on a RB considering our other holes.And I wouldnt say Bradshaw cant stay healthy either. He's played in at least 14 games 4 of the last 5 seasons. Thats healthier than any RB we currently have rostered has proven to be.

Ravens are going to have to do a lot of trimming, yes I think they are a tad better but let's not forget, the Broncos lost on basically a hail mary in the playoffs

Users who are viewing this thread