What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2014 (2 Viewers)

Christopher Denny - If The Roses Don't Kill Us

title track

Our Kind Of Love (with Erika Wennerstrom)

Watch Me Shine

Denny's voice is really beautiful to me - it's a little bit of strung-out Roy Orbison, a little bit of 20's jazz singer, and a little bit of Tiny Tim warble, but all mixed up in the best possible way. Add in the great songs and alt-country/soul/New Orleans jazz musical stylings, and this one is right up there with my favorites this year.

thanks to everyone who mentioned that Strand of Oaks album - that one's awesome. I also thought Sun Kil Moon's WOD diss track is pretty great too.

Bass Drum of Death has a new one that's pretty rowdy, and they appear to have discovered the concept of production

title track

Watch Me Shine

Denny's voice is really beautiful to me - it's a little bit of strung-out Roy Orbison, a little bit of 20's jazz singer, and a little bit of Tiny Tim warble, but all mixed up in the best possible way. Add in the great songs and alt-country/soul/New Orleans jazz musical stylings, and this one is right up there with my favorites this year.

thanks to everyone who mentioned that Strand of Oaks album - that one's awesome. I also thought Sun Kil Moon's WOD diss track is pretty great too.
We saw Denny open for Strand of Oaks. It was a typically disinterested SF hipster crowd who chatted by the bar and played with their phones through the openers. Mrs. Eephus and I were some of the few people at the front of the stage who listened enthusiastically. When we chatted with Denny and his wife after the show, he was appreciative to the point of buying Mrs. Eephus a drink. He's a sweet funny guy with a hard road behind him and hopefully a lot of good things ahead of him.

Eephus said:

title track

Watch Me Shine

We saw Denny open for Strand of Oaks. It was a typically disinterested SF hipster crowd who chatted by the bar and played with their phones through the openers. Mrs. Eephus and I were some of the few people at the front of the stage who listened enthusiastically. When we chatted with Denny and his wife after the show, he was appreciative to the point of buying Mrs. Eephus a drink. He's a sweet funny guy with a hard road behind him and hopefully a lot of good things ahead of him.
very cool - yeah, he's definitely gone through some rough times.

Ex Hex's, Rips is a pretty fun album straight up and down it... I'm hearing Jonathan Richmond mashed with Thee oh Sees and maybe some Feelies. Good garagey/poppy/jangly stuff.

El Floppo said:
Ex Hex's, Rips is a pretty fun album straight up and down it... I'm hearing Jonathan Richmond mashed with Thee oh Sees and maybe some Feelies. Good garagey/poppy/jangly stuff.
I hear a mashup of big star/the cars/the runaways

Getting into catch up time of year almost, wouldn't mind seeing some top 5 or so lists for binge listening between now and year end.

Been a lot of good, not great records this year.

The War on Drugs

Strand of Oaks

Old 97's

Afghan Whigs

Future Islands

Future

Alt J

The Hold Steady

2 Ryan Adams Records

Probably forgetting some of the best of the year but these are good. TWoD is far and away my favorite.

El Floppo said:
Like this - good find.

Wow, not sure where to begin for a top 5 or 10. Like someone else said, lots of very good, but not much great.

Wow, not sure where to begin for a top 5 or 10. Like someone else said, lots of very good, but not much great.
yeah- I don't have any slam-dunk favorites... yet. Spoon is always so good- hard for me put it up there.

that Ex Hex's is a grower though.

yeah- I don't have any slam-dunk favorites... yet. Spoon is always so good- hard for me put it up there.that Ex Hex's is a grower though.
Alt J is the only one that instantly comes to mind as a must include.
I'm the outlier on that one I think... I like a couple tracks, but overall disappointed. Might come back and grow on me, but so far no.

yeah- I don't have any slam-dunk favorites... yet. Spoon is always so good- hard for me put it up there.that Ex Hex's is a grower though.
Alt J is the only one that instantly comes to mind as a must include.
I'm the outlier on that one I think... I like a couple tracks, but overall disappointed. Might come back and grow on me, but so far no.
I can understand not liking it. My friends that all loved their last album are pretty mixed on it. I put the headphones on and just get lost in it.

Getting into catch up time of year almost, wouldn't mind seeing some top 5 or so lists for binge listening between now and year end.
To start with and in no particular order:

Parquet Courts

Iceage

War on Drugs

Woods

Perfume Genius

Mac Demarco

Cymbals Eat Guitars

Posse

Ought

Spoon

Future Islands

Pallbearer

A Sunny Day In Glasgow

Jack White

Cloud Nothings

There's still a ton I haven't heard but these seven are the top contenders at this point...

Beck

The War On Drugs

Spoon

St Vincent

The Hold Steady

Temples

Jack White

Buffalo Killers- heavy Reverie just released. Just started listening to it, but I already know this will be one of my favorites this year.
I'll have to check this out...Liked but didnt love Dig.Sow.Love.Grow....Really liked their debut, havent really listened to their albums in between.

Parquet Courts reminds me so much of Hockey Night. Remember them? Before the crappy Free Energy stuff. When they were on Lookout!?

http://www.musicline.de/de/player_flash/0763361931528/0/10/50/product

Better link: http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Hockey%20Night%20Angel%20Hair
I've heard one album. Thought they sounded like Pavement. I have a soft spot for Free Energy. My kids love them. Parquet Courts leaked btw.
Yeah, Hockey Night sounds a lot like Pavement.

Back in 2005 (?) fusing Pavement and garage-punk hit a sweet spot for me.

I do really like Parquet Courts. No doubt. Did not like the first track off of their new album, though.

Funny your kids like Free Energy. I can't judge it, I just heard them and went...argh. I really liked Hockey Night's sound.
Free Energy is dumb roller rink rock, but they know their way around a hook IMO.
I feel the same way about Manchester Orchestra.
I swoon over that song. You know the one. :wub:

I just love it. Saw a guy wearing their shirt at a concert the other day and couldn't stop singing it to myself.
Which one? Guessing either Ive Got Friends or I Can Feel A Hot One

Saw them in late spring/early summer. Pretty good but set less than 90 minutes, and they didnt play I Can Feel A Hot One so I was left the venue kind of peeved. Love that tune.

Love love love the Orwells Disgraceland. Must have played it though 4 or 5 times today alone

I'll add a spotify link later when I'm at the PC
Listening now, a few tracks in....theyve honed their sound, still dirty rock but more polished....Very good :thumbup:

Quite different than he's previous work, but I'm really enjoying the new Jamie T. album (Carry On The Grudge).

My top 5 as of today:

1. The Orwells – Disgraceland

2. Spoon – They Want My Soul

3. The Hold Steady – Teeth Dreams

4. The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream

5. Death From Above 1979 – The Physical World

This could change by year end, but I don't see much movement at the top of the list.
:blackdot:

haven't listened to the Orwells album.

Landlady, Upright Behavior is pretty fun, Spoonish stuff. Spotify is telling me thery are similar to White Reaper, Axxa/Abraxas, Beverly... but I don't know them off the top of my head. Oh- and EX Hex....

eta: Disgraceland is from last year according to the Spootify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some off my long list that I don't think have been mentioned lately:

Bahamas
Rival Sons
Total Control

Curtis Harding
MONEY
Slow Club
Sturgill Simpson
Jenny Lewis
Blake Mills
Woman's Hour
Drowners
Paolo Nutini
Sam Amidon
Trio 3 with Vijay Iyer
Francois and the Atlas Mountains

Bahamas

Rival Sons

Total Control

Curtis Harding

MONEY

Slow Club

Sturgill Simpson

Jenny Lewis

Blake Mills

Woman's Hour

Drowners

Paolo Nutini

Sam Amidon

Trio 3 with Vijay Iyer

literally not one band I recognize... and I thought I was trying to keep up.

gives me lots of :blackdot: to look forward to

Bahamas

Rival Sons

Total Control

Curtis Harding

MONEY

Slow Club

Sturgill Simpson

Jenny Lewis

Blake Mills

Woman's Hour

Drowners

Paolo Nutini

Sam Amidon

Trio 3 with Vijay Iyer

literally not one band I recognize... and I thought I was trying to keep up.

gives me lots of :blackdot: to look forward to
Don't get your hopes up too high. Usually I have a few albums contending to give 30 points/1 vote so it appears on the bottom of NV's year end poll. I can't think of any obvious choices right now but where there's time, there's hope.

I liked all of these records in parts and I'm glad I listened to them but maybe the industry is right and the album is dead.

Users who are viewing this thread