What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (5 Viewers)

Otis is authorized to modify the title to "...and kevzilla talks to himself"

Guise, this is where it always falls apart. As soon as Pumpkin Spice anything is for sale, we collectively go, "It's the holidays, time for Gorgefest 2022, I'll start my diet over in January." And we spend the final quarter of the year wrecking any progress we had made.

The fact is that one night of candy-pillaging and one ruinous Thanksgiving meal and one Christmas feast fit for a king, spaced a month apart, will not make you fat. You'll also be a full lap ahead of those that are starting over, again.

The scale says I lost 1.6 pounds this week. After tiny gains the last two weeks, this is a relief.

I’m here GB.
attempted to drink all the booze in the islands. Only gained 3 pounds.
going To the gym regularly. First day back from the islands, in the sauna, heart rate was 130+. Sweating out that booze. 😂
Averaging 24K steps at work so far this week :mellow:
going to start doing yoga at the gym next week.
gotta keep moving people.

Got through my colonoscopy - helped me drop a couple pounds. Down to 182 - two more to go before my backpacking trip. Kev is right though - going to make a concentrated effort to not give back my gains over the holidays.

Wow that's amazing. 7-8 lbs a month is tough for even a month or two but for a long as you've done it, making it through the holidays and pandemic months and everything else, serious kudos. What were you doing that worked for you?
Honestly, just watching calorie intake and walking between 7,000-10,000 steps per day. I eat "cleaner" than I was as well (less additives, preservatives, sugars, soda, etc).

I also learned to not overeat so much at night. Being empty nesters, it is extremely hard to cook to 2 without overcooking leading to overeating. There is a place near me called Clean Eatz (https://www.cleaneatz.com/ ) that specializes in "clean" meals. They sell frozen meals that are outstanding and do the trick. Perfect for a lunch or dinner.

Instead of "steps" I started devoting time to walking at an accelerated pace. I walk twice/day Mon-Fri (once in morning and once at lunch for a total of 4 mile) and one 4 miler on Saturday and Sunday. Weather permitting of course

Clean Eatz meals have really been the key. I eat 2/day during week and maybe 1 on Sat/Sun. I keep my calories around 1,500/day until I hit my goal of 199.9 lbs :wink:. The Clean Eatz meals are essentially portion controlled meals with "clean" ingredient's only. I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish same thing. I am fortunate that I have a Clean Eatz minutes from my house but they do have a mail order version as well - https://www.cleaneatzkitchen.com/

Edit: I log everything in the MyFitnessPal app. I use this to hold me accountable and take pictures every 6 months to show my progress. It's a PITA to keep up with but without the accountability, I would prolly not be as successful. There are obviously other apps that do the same thing buit I downloaded MFP and it seems to do everything I need without a price. I use free version.

Changed things up a little. Walking the 4 miles/day M-F (pace around 3.6-3.7 mph) but added a mile to my Sat/Sun walks (5 miles/day with a pace around 4.0-4.1 mph).

I'm down 85 lbs since August 2021. I am within striking distance of my goal (199.9 lbs) but these plateaus are a PITA... They happen, have to fight through them...

DW says I shouldn't lose any more weight but I will keep focused on goal. Went from a 40 waist and 3XL shirts to 34 waist (and they are getting loose...) and XL shirts. Feel much much better....

Still plugging away with my goal of being sub-200 by mid December. Sitting at about 225 right now, but with some noticeable improvement to muscle tone, particularly in my chest and shoulders.

I just finished week 2 of the hundred push-ups challenge, and I also ponies up for an app called muscle booster. I like it because It gives you a daily workout, and also shows you how to do the actual exercises, which is helpful for me. I’m hitting the gym 3x/week, and the routines help me make sure to exercise to failure.

3 months left to drop 26lbs… That’s slightly over 2lbs/wk. That’s a faster pace than I’ve been dropping, which is extremely frustrating since I do IF every day, and eat pretty healthy. What I don’t know is how much fat I’m trading for muscle. If things don’t improve by Oct 1, I’ll have to incorporate cardio on my off days.
Still plugging away with my goal of being sub-200 by mid December. Sitting at about 225 right now, but with some noticeable improvement to muscle tone, particularly in my chest and shoulders.

I just finished week 2 of the hundred push-ups challenge, and I also ponies up for an app called muscle booster. I like it because It gives you a daily workout, and also shows you how to do the actual exercises, which is helpful for me. I’m hitting the gym 3x/week, and the routines help me make sure to exercise to failure.

3 months left to drop 26lbs… That’s slightly over 2lbs/wk. That’s a faster pace than I’ve been dropping, which is extremely frustrating since I do IF every day, and eat pretty healthy. What I don’t know is how much fat I’m trading for muscle. If things don’t improve by Oct 1, I’ll have to incorporate cardio on my off

3 months left to drop 26lbs… That’s slightly over 2lbs/wk. That’s a faster pace than I’ve been dropping, which is extremely frustrating since I do IF every day, and eat pretty healthy. What I don’t know is how much fat I’m trading for muscle. If things don’t improve by Oct 1, I’ll have to incorporate cardio on my off days.
Weighed in at 216.8 this morning, but haven’t pooped in a couple of days, so I’ll be lower than that this weekend.

I did start building in cardio days, so now it’s 3 days of weight training and 3 days of cardio per week, with Sundays being a rest day.

I’m also on week 9(?) of the 6 week 100 push-up challenge. I made a run for the prize on Monday and could only knock out 56, so I am repeating week 6 this week and next week, and then I’ll take another shot at 100.

Basically 6 weeks left to lose 17lbs. At my current pace, ngmi. End of the year is definitely doable, but I’m not giving up yet.

I was on the treadmill on Monday, and didn't walk at all Thursday or Friday. Yet the scale says I lost 3.7 pounds this week, reaffirming diet > exercise for weight loss. Not taking a victory lap after gaining 4.5 the week before, but I really needed to get most of that back for my psyche. My weight gyrates around like the stock market these days, but the trend is slooowly down.

The scale says I gained 1.6 pounds this week. Didn't do much different, not worried. The exact same kind of performance will probably result in a loss next week. We move on.

I am within 8 lbs of entering "Onederland" (199). I started at 300 and now am at 207. Been at it since August 2021. Feel so much better!

Awesome job bill. Speaking as someone who has managed to lose and gain a lot of weight over the years - please have a maintenance plan in place so you don’t waste all your hard work. I think the tendency is to see weight loss as a destination and not a continuous journey. Celebrate once you break 200 but then work your plan.

I am within 8 lbs of entering "Onederland" (199). I started at 300 and now am at 207. Been at it since August 2021. Feel so much better!

Awesome job bill. Speaking as someone who has managed to lose and gain a lot of weight over the years - please have a maintenance plan in place so you don’t waste all your hard work. I think the tendency is to see weight loss as a destination and not a continuous journey. Celebrate once you break 200 but then work your plan.
I pretty much have changed my whole lifestyle for the past year to one I can live with moving forward. That was the key to even starting this. I was tired of the rollercoaster. I have spent almost my entire adult life battling weight (ever since a ruptured Achilles tendon) so I get what you are saying.

Thanks to everyone on here. Small chats like this helps with the motivation!

I went for a jog this morning and it was pretty easy.

I'm in a fantasy football league this year that awards points the traditional way, but also for working out. It's standard half-PPR scoring for stuff that happens on the field, plus 0.25 points for every ten minutes (rounding down) spent reading books or working out, plus a six-point bonus for every week in which we earned at least one point all seven days. So it's like having an extra flex position, with an extra touchdown for consistency during the week. It's low-stakes monetarily, but it's done a surprisingly good job of getting me to stay active during the season, which is usually the time of year I turn sedentary. For anyone on this forum who still plays fantasy football (hello?), I highly recommend forming a league like this next season.

When the season started, I planned to do all kinds of different activities -- yoga, rucking, jumping rope, calisthenics, lifting weights, running, swimming, playing basketball, inline skating, kayaking, swinging kettlebells (and a heavy club and a mace)...

In practice, I did daily yoga for about a month and then stopped that, but have been pretty consistent about rucking and lifting weights the whole time. Especially rucking. I've rucked with 50 pounds for a brisk 45-50 minutes about 4-5 times a week. It's definitely gotten easier over time.

I really hate jogging. But today I went for a jog for the first time in quite a while (I think at least a year, maybe several). I did the same route that I normally ruck, about 3.15 miles. It took me 29 minutes -- which is probably slow for any real jogger, but is a decent pace for me. (I was surprised when I checked my time at the end because, subjectively, it didn't feel like I was going much faster than my normal rucking pace.) And it felt unexpectedly easy the whole time -- a sharp contrast with my previous jogging experiences.

So if anyone was wondering whether rucking carries over to jogging -- it does.

(In the twelve-person league, I'm in first place in fantasy points from football, but second place overall to Jason Wood because he's been pelotoning like crazy. Still, I've never missed a weekly bonus and have gotten at least 40 minutes of physical activity all but like two days in the entire season so far. I've got a few weeks left to make a run at Woodrow.)

The scale was unmoved this week. There will be no weigh-in next week, as I will be in Vegas. But there will also be no excuses on Christmas Eve morning.

Anyone been prescribed semaglutide (Wegovy, if it's being used solely for weight loss)? It's a diabetes drug (Ozempic or Rybelsus) that's been rebranded for weight loss. It can be prescribed to anyone with BMI >30, or 27 if you have an obesity-associated comorbidity, like high blood pressure.

Hit my initial goal of losing 100 lbs. Was 300, weighed in at 199 Sunday. May try to drop another 10...
That’s awesome.!

Back at the gym. Quasi regularly. Drinking less? :oldunsure:

I walk 4-6 miles every day. I rarely drink. Just count calories. Weekends I eat whatever I want. During week, I eat a controlled caloric intake (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks)

Hit my initial goal of losing 100 lbs. Was 300, weighed in at 199 Sunday. May try to drop another 10...
That’s awesome.!

Back at the gym. Quasi regularly. Drinking less? :oldunsure:

I walk 4-6 miles every day. I rarely drink. Just count calories. Weekends I eat whatever I want. During week, I eat a controlled caloric intake (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks)

Similar here. Don't do quite the cardio though, do 30 minutes 4x a week and 1.5 hours of lifting. 4x a week. Thinking about upping the cardio to 7x a week.

88g protein
28g fiber
2336 mg sodium
Under calories

Doing day 1 of the original 30 days of yoga with Adriene to get back into it. Santa stopped at Lululemon for a nice mat and I'll be honest it does feel a lot better. I've got a spot set up in my office area and planning to hit the gym with my kid for kids academy and swim lessons.

Back to the grind

Anyone been prescribed semaglutide (Wegovy, if it's being used solely for weight loss)? It's a diabetes drug (Ozempic or Rybelsus) that's been rebranded for weight loss. It can be prescribed to anyone with BMI >30, or 27 if you have an obesity-associated comorbidity, like high blood pressure.
No but I'm curious about your thoughts on it. I'm always leery of weight loss drugs but doubly so of drugs that were supposed to do one thing but turn out to actually also help with losing weight...

The scale says I gained 0.8 pounds last week. Our family Christmas was on Wednesday, and there were deviled eggs, sausage balls, and eggnog. We move on.

No but I'm curious about your thoughts on it. I'm always leery of weight loss drugs but doubly so of drugs that were supposed to do one thing but turn out to actually also help with losing weight...
I get it, but this drug helps regulate carbohydrate metabolism. Makes perfect sense that it might help with weight loss.

This thread needs another diet competition. That was fun to follow.
That would add some excitement back to the thread.

I am going to lose 5 pounds in January. Anyone interested in joining this simple, short goal? It’s not as exciting as a big competition but I need to get back into some healthier habits and this is the way to start a new year. After maintaining a great weight through most of 2022, the holidays got me. I am so busy is Summer and Fall that I don’t have to focus on what I eat but when the physical activity drops off, the weight creeps up.

My plan is simple. I have been working out but not working out hard. I’m going to work out with a purpose and eat better.

This thread needs another diet competition. That was fun to follow.
I'm open. I turn 40 this year and I had a realization over the past week or so that I basically spent my 30s working too many hours and eating and drinking whatever I wanted. While it was fun, it's not sustainable and a change is needed.

In general, I prefer lifestyle changes over drugs or surgery. But realistically, most people will fail at the former, so at some point harm reduction becomes a priority. If that’s the case, I’d pick a weekly shot over the knife.

So far, Wegovy looks great. Initial trials showed 6-12% body weight loss, with many people losing 15-20%. That’s way better performance than traditional diet drugs, and side effects appear manageable (mostly nausea and GI symptoms).

While I don‘t like rebranded meds either, the drug’s other benefits often apply to obese individuals, namely decreased cardiovascular risk and glycemic control. If I had high blood pressure, cholesterol, and especially diabetes, I‘d strongly consider it.

The issue is paying for it. Most insurers don’t cover Wegovy currently (because they always lag behind the science), and it costs ~$1300/month out-of-pocket. Of course that is way pricier than the identical, slightly lower dose diabetes medicine Ozempic, which can be had for the price of a co-pay. It‘s only a matter of time before a black market develops, where diabetics are “losing” Ozempic prescriptions to resell the drug on the streets. And I’ve already heard about clinic personnel begging doctors to give away their samples. There’s also an oral equivalent, Rybelsus, but it hasn’t been studied explicitly for weight loss.

Interesting as I just heard of this in the last couple of days. Friend of mine's adult daughter has been on it with tremendous success.

Do you have a medical opinion on it?

Edit - LOL - just saw your post above.

Also to add, any weight loss challenge contest should have a "drug free" component. I'll donate a subscription to that.

Zero interest in rewarding the $1,300 a month angle.

Users who are viewing this thread