What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

MAF question - I know it says to do a monthly MAF test but as a beginner and since I track every run with my watch anyway is this really necessary?

Also I know that ZOne 3 right now should stay at 15-20% which I have been doing and its says after 3-6 months to add speed work

Is that like sprints or go out for a run and do say the best 5k I can? TIA

Structured workouts with the new FTP are gonna suuuuuuuck.
🖤 👍🏽 :excited:
Love it!
Great job, especially as you weren’t feeling it.
Did the Mat Hayman Paris / cobble stones workout this morning. Really struggled to hit 700 for 10 seconds (x3). The rest was a good workout but I have to increase my max bigly.

Last edited:
Love it!
Did the Mat Hayman Paris / cobble stones workout this morning. Really struggled to hit 700 for 10 seconds (x3). The rest was a good workout but I have to increase my max bigly.
Did one of the hardest workouts in Sufferfest tonight - "A Very Dark Place". It's supposed to be brutally hard to finish. It was hard, but not falling off the bike hard. I figure FTP could still be a bit low. I'm guessing I may be at 255 or so for reals. That's ok - it works and was plenty hard.

Love it!
Did one of the hardest workouts in Sufferfest tonight - "A Very Dark Place". It's supposed to be brutally hard to finish. It was hard, but not falling off the bike hard. I figure FTP could still be a bit low. I'm guessing I may be at 255 or so for reals. That's ok - it works and was plenty hard.
I totally forgot about sufferfest. I vaguely remember that workout, was great stuff!

Love it!
I totally forgot about sufferfest. I vaguely remember that workout, was great stuff!
Part of WahooX now. I tend to like it better than Zwift. Though now I have a year Zwift sub after buying a new trainer. Hopefully I'll get to drop both once it warms up. That's won't be for a while yet, though!

Love it!
Part of WahooX now. I tend to like it better than Zwift. Though now I have a year Zwift sub after buying a new trainer. Hopefully I'll get to drop both once it warms up. That's won't be for a while yet, though!
So if I have a wahoo kickr, this seems like a decent alternative to zwift.
Maybe next year. I’ll probably stop riding indoors in April.

Love it!
So if I have a wahoo kickr, this seems like a decent alternative to zwift.
Maybe next year. I’ll probably stop riding indoors in April.
They have a free trial, I'm sure, if you wanted to try it. It's all videos and structured workouts, which I tend to prefer over cartoon roads. But whatever gets you on the bike.

At the end of Feb. they have their "tour" like Zwift does now. It should be way harder as you can't loaf through it; it's tagged to measured FTP and they brutalize you from there.

With some thoughtful consideration and internet sleuthing, I'm very convinced that I have hip bursitis in my right hip, and I'm therefore placing myself on the IR list. The pain over recent weeks never felt like a muscle or tendon issue, and the noticeable swelling was unusual. I'm seeing a new doctor in early February, so I'll patiently rest it from running until then, I expect. (Forecast for the next couple weeks is the typical January, midwest ugliness.) I'll work in some walking to increase the blood flow. Fortunately, I stated the year with a strong, ongoing commitment to @-OZ- 's 2023 monthly challenge array, and I'll keep that up in the meantime, though more cautiously with the lower body elements. With my primary goal being an October marathon, I'm not too concerned ...yet.

With some thoughtful consideration and internet sleuthing, I'm very convinced that I have hip bursitis in my right hip, and I'm therefore placing myself on the IR list. The pain over recent weeks never felt like a muscle or tendon issue, and the noticeable swelling was unusual. I'm seeing a new doctor in early February, so I'll patiently rest it from running until then, I expect. (Forecast for the next couple weeks is the typical January, midwest ugliness.) I'll work in some walking to increase the blood flow. Fortunately, I stated the year with a strong, ongoing commitment to @-OZ- 's 2023 monthly challenge array, and I'll keep that up in the meantime, though more cautiously with the lower body elements. With my primary goal being an October marathon, I'm not too concerned ...yet.
Just looked at the long range forecast. Now looks like a GREAT time for a short term IR visit. Hope for a positive diagnosis (y)

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

I tried something a touch different - when I figured out my formula i subtracted the extra 5 based on my current health/weight.

This time I tried to keep it closer to the bpm that would be without that extra 5 just to see.

However I did not adjust my zones in my app this time. So I only went over a little for that other calculated zone....

Either way this is the result with the old zones still plugged into the app

So instead of 123 I tried to stay under 128 - i only went over 128 4 times in the hour

3.5 miles 56:30 avg 122 bpm (still under my original MAF) 16:09 pace

Zone 3 16:52 - 29%
MAF 35:57 63%
Zone 1 3:31 6%

This felt like a "better workout" -

Ugh. Hope you get this resolved and healed soon.

Silver lining is this is the best time for downtime. Its cold, snowy, icy and lacks daylight.

Hope this is the only bump in the 2024 road.

Which marathon are you running?

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

I tried something a touch different - when I figured out my formula i subtracted the extra 5 based on my current health/weight.

This time I tried to keep it closer to the bpm that would be without that extra 5 just to see.

However I did not adjust my zones in my app this time. So I only went over a little for that other calculated zone....

So instead of 123 I tried to stay under 128 - i only went over 128 4 times in the hour

Man 128 seems super low. Probably smart, you’re doing awesome!

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

180-old man 52.....then minus 5 for "not running for 15 years and being a lardass".... shrug.

So is actually 123. Did I do something wrong?

Ugh. Hope you get this resolved and healed soon.

Silver lining is this is the best time for downtime. Its cold, snowy, icy and lacks daylight.

Hope this is the only bump in the 2024 road.

Which marathon are you running?
My early plan is to run the Grand Rapids marathon in mid-October. Good size (~1,000 runners), nice race logistics (start/finish right next to newish YMCA), favorable course (generally quite flat and a fair amount on paved trails), and convenient location (I can crash at my sister’s place outside of town). I’ll be at a new university(ies) in some capacity, so I don’t dare stray far from home.

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

180-old man 52.....then minus 5 for "not running for 15 years and being a lardass".... shrug.

Nope. You did it right. I’m mostly suggesting to have patience as this takes time. You really are doing great.

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

Nope. You did it right. I’m mostly suggesting to have patience as this takes time. You really are doing great.
Thanks

Do you think I can get rid of that extra five that I started with and move it to 128?

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

Thanks

Do you think I can get rid of that extra five that I started with and move it to 128?
I’d keep it but remember it’s a range and if you go over briefly you’re still getting the benefits.

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

Thanks

I’d keep it but remember it’s a range and if you go over briefly you’re still getting the benefits.
Right I know it's 113-123. Was just wondering if I could/should shift to 118-128.

Thanks for the reply

-12 with 17-30 mph winds? Yeah, no.

Same crap here. Yesterday was even more windy, not quite as cold though. Next couple days are garbage too.

I'm hitting the treadmill and catching up on Reacher and Monarch.

I don’t have a treadmill and cancelled a gym membership during COVID. Maybe I’ll pace my way to plus 12,000 steps at home. I’ve done that before.
Do push-ups! Burpees, pick up a kid and throw them over your shoulders…you can even borrow some!

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

Thanks

It’s possible your number may be higher actually.

When I first started training I used the same formula and I was in similar zones as you. And it was not right for me. Way too slow. I was hitting similar heart rates as you just walking. It was very frustrating to me.

Finally got some additional help from some guys here and the book Advanced Marathoning. Figured out my max heart rate which ended up being 197, and then calculated my zones based on a chart in that book. So my aerobic zone ended up being between 135-155. And that felt perfect for me and and I trained according to that chart.

Made a massive difference for me and my enjoyment for running, plus I wasn’t a total slave to that low heart rate zone. I had some flexibility there to push it when I wanted and hold back when I needed to - all the while training in that zone.

You are doing fantastic, so I wouldn’t change too much at this point. But something to think about as you progress. You may be a high heart rate guy, so you may be able to up that heart rate number some and still be in your aerobic zone.

Last edited:
Yeah it's basically a brisk walk. But I figured I haven't run in god know when so figured that had something to do with it

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

Thanks

When I first started training I used the same formula and I was in similar zones as you. And it was not right for me. Way too slow. I was hitting similar heart rates as you just walking. It was very frustrating to me.

Finally got some additional help from some guys here and the book Advanced Marathoning. Figured out my max heart rate which ended up being 197, and then calculated my zones based on a chart in that book. So my aerobic zone ended up being between 135-155. And that felt perfect for me and and I trained according to that chart.
This is good advice, although I agree that if things are working for belljr he shouldn't necessarily want to upset the current apple cart. I've never done MAF, but I could get my HR above 200 when I was in my 30s, and I still go well into the 190s during races at 47. 180-age would be way too low for my training range.

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

Thanks

This is good advice, although I agree that if things are working for belljr he shouldn't necessarily want to upset the current apple cart. I've never done MAF, but I could get my HR above 200 when I was in my 30s, and I still go well into the 190s during races at 47. 180-age would be way too low for my training range.
That’s why, while I liked MAF for a bit, I prefer zone training. Zone 2 yields many similar benefits. Although we know better than to confuse zone training with MAF.

MAF IT IF YOU GOT IT

Thanks

That’s why, while I liked MAF for a bit, I prefer zone training. Zone 2 yields many similar benefits. Although we know better than to confuse zone training with MAF.
We do?
You lost me isn't MAF staying in zone 2?

isn't MAF staying in zone 2?
There’s usually an overlap but they’re different concepts.
Someone here could probably explain succinctly but imo MAF is more basic, more wholistic and takes a long time to yield the true benefits. Zone 2 is tailored to the individual and is something to spend most of your training in but not all (80/20 usually works well).

Well maybe I've been doing it all wrong. ...

My heart rate zones i setup specifically to match, they were close before.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong actually. To me, if you are working out in those lower zones you are still fine and you are burning fat and improving aerobically.

The training zones I've used based on that book are derived from my maximum heart rate. Which I had to figure out. Which for me was busting my *** as fast as I could at a slight incline until I felt like I was ready to explode or puke.

But I didn't attempt that until I was at least a year to 18 months into my running journey.

I will post the zone percentages (based off max heart rate) when I get home. But zone 2 is basically the aerobic zone. So you are probably in that already by what you are doing.

You’re fine as you’re getting started. MAF is a great way to get going. It can even be a great method later.

For those who have been doing this for years, many of us find it beneficial assess our lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR) with a 30 minute test. (Basically, run hard for 30 minutes, use the last 20 as your LTHR)

But I wouldn’t do this until you’ve been running for a while. Chief’s suggestion of a year to 18 months is a really good one.

I’m going mostly by memory here, the real runners of the group probably have better advice.

Yep - suuuucks.
Well what'd ya expect ya moron?
:lmao:

I mean, I kind of expect to go into Chris Hoy mode and be able to hold 700W forever, but I guess I'm still mostly human.

I did manage to jump onto Zwift last night and do one of their climb portal things, which simulate real epic climbs. I saw one that I had actually done (as it turns out the only one on the list) and couldn't resist - Baleach Na Ba. It was harder on the trainer mostly because the real climb is so ridiculously stunning you don't pay attention to the 20% grades, which it does hit a couple times. And I was faster on the road by 5 minutes, which is kinda cool.

Yep - suuuucks.

I mean, I kind of expect to go into Chris Hoy mode and be able to hold 700W forever, but I guess I'm still mostly human.

I did manage to jump onto Zwift last night and do one of their climb portal things, which simulate real epic climbs. I saw one that I had actually done (as it turns out the only one on the list) and couldn't resist - Baleach Na Ba. It was harder on the trainer mostly because the real climb is so ridiculously stunning you don't pay attention to the 20% grades, which it does hit a couple times. And I was faster on the road by 5 minutes, which is kinda cool.
I haven't tried any of those climbs since they came out. The bike I have on the trainer now isn't a good climbing bike and I haven't ridden any elevation in about a year so no point having a bad experience. I saw one this week that was like 3 miles and 8000ft of gain or something ridiculous. I'm exaggerating but it was something stupid. Glad they put them in for climbers but I'm not ready for something like that right now.

Sort of trying one of the Garmin HM plans. I'm definitely not going to follow it precisely because I'm stubborn like that and it doesn't seem particularly well adapted to my starting point. For example, it wanted me to do a "Benchmark Run" of 2 minute warmup, 5 minute hard, 2 minute cool down. No way I'm getting all ready to run in 17 degree weather to be out there for 9 minutes. So I did about 30 minutes of warmup prior. Still, we'll see how it goes. I think it will force me to do more quality than I would probably do on my own. Hopefully that leads to gains and not to injuries.

Speaking of the weather, I've been squeezing most of my weekday runs in after work this winter, but the recent snow and cold spell means I'm confined to daylight hours for the time being so that's a bit tricky. Usually just before Valentine's day I switch back to evening running, but that still leaves several weeks where scheduling will be tough if the weather doesn't turn.

Yeah, I don't care enough right now to be running in 20° weather with snow and ice on the ground so I'll probably just have to hit my exercise bike

Yep - suuuucks.

I haven't tried any of those climbs since they came out. The bike I have on the trainer now isn't a good climbing bike and I haven't ridden any elevation in about a year so no point having a bad experience. I saw one this week that was like 3 miles and 8000ft of gain or something ridiculous. I'm exaggerating but it was something stupid. Glad they put them in for climbers but I'm not ready for something like that right now.
The biggest one is the Tourmalet at ~3700ft. Cheddar Gorge is 500ft. of climbing at 3.5%. So it's all over the place (and at the very least can be a good FTP session if you want it to be that). I'll do anything that holds my attention - indoor riding gets hard to stay dedicated. On that day the Baleach Na Ba was open for an hour then off rotation. So, like a well trained dog, I hit the button and did it.

Yep - suuuucks.

The biggest one is the Tourmalet at ~3700ft. Cheddar Gorge is 500ft. of climbing at 3.5%. So it's all over the place (and at the very least can be a good FTP session if you want it to be that). I'll do anything that holds my attention - indoor riding gets hard to stay dedicated. On that day the Baleach Na Ba was open for an hour then off rotation. So, like a well trained dog, I hit the button and did it.
I’ve just been doing workouts, so other than the mental aspect of almost sitting still when you’re in a rest portion at 140w and being nowhere near the normal MPH, climbs aren’t more challenging. I thought about doing willunga hill (252m, under 4km, 6.8%) during my threshold workout this morning but decided I’d rather hit 20+ mph for the duration. Usually I’ve been aiming to get 1,000’ and 20 miles in an hour during these workouts even if it means taking off ERG at times.

I've had a couple guys reach out about the Bourbon Chase relay, so here's where we're at. Dates are October 4-5, 2024. It's about 200 miles total from Clermont to Lexington, KY. It's a 12-person team, so for the math-challenged, that's an average of 16-17 miles per person, split up into three legs.

Cost is $1,920/team plus a ridiculous 9.75% transaction fee. I don't know why they just don't charge $2,108. Anyway, roughly $175 per person, plus your share of the vans, gas, food, etc.

So far we've got one van full:

Van 1
1. Me
2. Mrs. Gruecd
3. @gianmarco
4. Mrs. Gianmarco
5. My friend, Chris
6. Gianmarco's friend, Clayton

Still need 6 commitments for Van #2 if we're gonna make this happen. Speak now or forever hold your peace...

Last edited:
I've had a couple guys reach out about the Bourbon Chase relay, so here's where we're at. Dates are October 4-5, 2024. It's about 200 miles total from Clermont to Lexington, KY. It's a 12-person team, so for the math-challenged, that's an average of 16-17 miles per person, split up into three legs.

Cost is $1,920/team plus a ridiculous 9.75% transaction fee. I don't know why they just don't charge $2,108. Anyway, roughly $175 per person, plus your share of the vans, gas, food, etc.

Van 1
1. Me
2. Mrs. Gruecd
3. @gianmarco
4. Mrs. Gianmarco
5. My friend, Chris

Still need 6 commitments for Van #2 if we're gonna make this happen. Speak now or forever hold your peace...
Anyone? Bueller?

Van 1
1. Me
2. Mrs. Gruecd
3. @gianmarco
4. Mrs. Gianmarco
5. My friend, Chris

Anyone? Bueller?
As much as I'd like to go, I'm going to have to pass. My oldest starts college in the Fall and I'll have to cut back on some of my running trips. It is a great event and if anyone is on the fence I recommend participating.

Sorry I haven't been active here, but I'm training with my goal race for the spring a 5k in March. I raced a 8 miler on Sunday, it was my 2nd slowest time on the course but course conditions were less than ideal with much of the path being covered with snow/ice. Finished 2nd overall, despite racing in pants for the first time and stopping to tie my shoe twice.

Van 1
1. Me
2. Mrs. Gruecd
3. @gianmarco
4. Mrs. Gianmarco
5. My friend, Chris

Anyone? Bueller?
As much as I'd like to go, I'm going to have to pass. My oldest starts college in the Fall and I'll have to cut back on some of my running trips. It is a great event and if anyone is on the fence I recommend participating.

Sorry I haven't been active here, but I'm training with my goal race for the spring a 5k in March. I raced a 8 miler on Sunday, it was my 2nd slowest time on the course but course conditions were less than ideal with much of the path being covered with snow/ice. Finished 2nd overall, despite racing in pants for the first time and stopping to tie my shoe twice.
Well la-di-da... :yes:

And to confirm: the BC doesn't work for me, given plans for an October marathon. Sorry!

Van 1
1. Me
2. Mrs. Gruecd
3. @gianmarco
4. Mrs. Gianmarco
5. My friend, Chris

Anyone? Bueller?
Sorry - I meant to reply yesterday.

No.

Users who are viewing this thread