What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (1 Viewer)

So in the podcast he was talking about how he got the part and he said the first time he went in to read he didn't have a good vibe and he was naive and he said about the actor he was reading with. Well if you get me a better actor to read with I will do better and he started laughing on the podcast ......he had no idea that the guy he was reading lines with was Stallone

Wayne Kramer was just a monster guitar player. I remember posting this clip to wikkid's approval way back when. Check out the moves while laying this down.

Ramblin' Rose
That's awesome.

Equally as impressive in its own way is their Beat Club German TV appearance in 1972, shortly before they broke up. They look horrible and most of them were spiraling due to drug addiction (they had already fired their original bassist for being too far gone on heroin), but they absolutely destroy the material.

Equally as impressive in its own way is their Beat Club German TV appearance in 1972, shortly before they broke up. They look horrible and most of them were spiraling due to drug addiction (they had already fired their original bassist for being too far gone on heroin), but they absolutely destroy the material.

Wow. They were one of the apexes of heavy rock n' roll. Rob Tyner is sweating like a madman during the opening moments. As soon as I wondered if he was going to wipe it away, he does to the lyrics that mention "sweat." Man, those were some hot lights, it seems. Man, I'm older than Tyner was when he passed—he was forty-six. RIP.

Wayne Kramer fixing his hair at about 9:30 in before "Ramblin' Rose" is a nice touch. The song itself might be a bit slow for my liking, but it's still quite the performance.

RIP to the fellas. They'll be remembered in rock n' roll lore forever.

Wow. They were one of the apexes of heavy rock n' roll. Rob Tyner is sweating like a madman during the opening moments. As soon as I wondered if he was going to wipe it away, he does to the lyrics that mention "sweat." Man, those were some hot lights, it seems. Man, I'm older than Tyner was when he passed—he was forty-six. RIP.

Wayne Kramer fixing his hair at about 9:30 in before "Ramblin' Rose" is a nice touch. The song itself might be a bit slow for my liking, but it's still quite the performance.

RIP to the fellas. They'll be remembered in rock n' roll lore forever.
Fred “Sonic” Smith also died at 46. He left behind his widow Patti Smith and two children.

"Go west young man, haven't you been told? California's full of whiskey, women and gold"

I never really got into country music but Should've Been A Cowboy was heavy in the rotation the first year I moved out west. It was a great song by a legend.

**** cancer. :cry:

This may sound weird, but I associate Maya Angelou with Toby Keith. She lived about 25 to 30 minutes from me in Winston-Salem. She taught courses for a long time at Wake Forest, and she was interviewed somewhat often on the news about different things. More than once she brought up how much she loved Toby Keith's music, and that she thought his songs were catchy. She'd say that she had written some country songs, and threw out hints for him to record one. Anyway, I only know his Red Solo Cup song, but I know he was very popular in country music, and he got to live his dream. RIP

This may sound weird, but I associate Maya Angelou with Toby Keith. She lived about 25 to 30 minutes from me in Winston-Salem. She taught courses for a long time at Wake Forest, and she was interviewed somewhat often on the news about different things. More than once she brought up how much she loved Toby Keith's music, and that she thought his songs were catchy. She'd say that she had written some country songs, and threw out hints for him to record one. Anyway, I only know his Red Solo Cup song, but I know he was very popular in country music, and he got to live his dream. RIP
Way too young.

Modern country music is extremely planned and calculated from a promotion and marketing perspective. Red Solo Cup is one of the few exceptions. It was added to his album Clancy's Tavern at the last minute as a lark, basically, and sounds little like the rest of his material, but it instantly resonated with listeners, which prompted the label to change plans and make it the record's second single.

Not sure I could identify a Toby Keith song if I heard it, but I remember the Mens' Warehouse in the Clarkston, MI mall was right next to a Toby Keith bar. That place was MASSIVE. I think there were pickup trucks on the wall, just a HUGE bar. Couple of my groomsmen and I had sauntered over after getting our suits for my wedding and had a couple of beers. Cute gal in cut-offs and boots, tank top, nice lady. She casually dropped that she was a grandmother and all of our jaws just hit the floor. Good times.

I'll have to check out some of his music tonight.

Not sure I could identify a Toby Keith song if I heard it, but I remember the Mens' Warehouse in the Clarkston, MI mall was right next to a Toby Keith bar. That place was MASSIVE. I think there were pickup trucks on the wall, just a HUGE bar. Couple of my groomsmen and I had sauntered over after getting our suits for my wedding and had a couple of beers. Cute gal in cut-offs and boots, tank top, nice lady. She casually dropped that she was a grandmother and all of our jaws just hit the floor. Good times.

Did some redneck say to you, nobody told me it was tie night.

We weren't wearing the suits in the bar, bad storytelling on my part. Too many red solo cups in my life.

We weren't wearing the suits in the bar, bad storytelling on my part. Too many red solo cups in my life.
The reason I brought it up is because it is actually a true story told by a boss of mine in the 90s in Louisville. He and another co-worker went to a dive bar after work and some redneck said that to him and Joe, “nobody told me it was tie night”.

Man oh man... just heard about the Toby Keith news today. Had no idea he had cancer. Saw a pic of him from awhile back and he looked completely different (obviously due to the disease). Wasn't a huge fan of his but definitely a country music fan in general so certainly appreciate what he did for the genre. RIP Toby...

I hit up his restaurant in Vegas once and it was pretty sweet.

I Love this Bar is a Top 10 country song for me.

Was going to mention this song as really the only song I knew of by him. The way I knew of him was from his outspoken ways, especially regarding Natalie Maines. I don't follow modern country for the exact reasons Pip briefly mentioned, so Toby Keith is more of a cultural figure and curio than artist to me.

Just checking in to give an outsider's perspective.

RIP to the man. I think we can all agree that a cure for cancer can't come soon enough.

I’ll never smoke Weed with Willie again is a pretty funny song of his. Worth a listen if you’ve never heard it.
This version is from Bob and Tom.

Was at an event where Scott Emerick and a few other songwriters were playing and discussing some of the songs they wrote and co-wrote. He is credited on this one and told the story of writing Beer for my Horses for Keith and Willie...which when pitching it to Willie on the bus led to Willie asking them to share in a smoke. And a night meant to pitch one song became two songs.

We ain’t got Mojo Nixon now this world could use some fixin’

Mojo Nixon was so cool.

I saw them on tour with the Pogues and the Violent Femmes (I know, right? Wackiest lineup I ever saw). He was running up and down the aisles of the venue with an empty blue office bottled water cooler, using it as a percussion instrument.

Mojo Nixon died of a cardiac event on the Outlaw Country Cruise. He is survived by his family and Don Henley.

I will miss his song selections on Outlaw Country during my drive home from work. I will admit though his OUTLAWWWWWWWW COUNTRY!!! thing was a little meh.

Still, a real talent gone too soon... sounds like he went out livin' his best life, though, which isn't a shock.

My favorite song of his was "How Do You Like Me Now."

Though it seems weird to post that now considering the circumstances. But still a great song. At least for me.

Favorite song of mine as well. Being a "nerd" or "uncool" kid in high school who had a crush on one of the more popular girls, this song is a great song.

Users who are viewing this thread