What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C. Portis knee problems (1 Viewer)

From Rotoworld.com:

Clinton Portis went through pre-game warmups Thursday night, but was declared inactive by the Redskins.

He ended up practicing roughly five times in camp and never took a preseason carry.

The Washington Post's Jason LaCanfora goes so far as to predict Ladell Betts will get the majority of the touches early in the season. Portis remains a risky third-round pick if your draft is this weekend.

Source: Washington Post

Related: Ladell Betts
OK. I'm officially a little concerned I drafted this guy in the 3rd round now. :unsure:
he's closer to IR, than he is to playing a single down this season. He's a huge BUST at this point.Betts will continue to be the main man in DC.. :lmao:

can the Portis lovers on this board finally get a grip, and pull themselves out of denial, already?!

the guy can't:

run, except in straight lines.

practice.

make cuts.

its the end of preseason.he hasn't carried the ball, once..has practiced for only a day or two.he has a surgically repaired shoulder that hasn't even been tested yet..

people need to wake up, Portis will not play much,if at all, this season.

Betts is the money pick on that team.

Last edited by a moderator:
:duckandcover:

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Poster 1: NO!!! You're so wrong!! He's not practicing because he doesn't want to!!!

Scientist: :blackdot: :hophead: :thumbup:

Poster 2: There's NO WAY!! nygiants56, you are such a noooob!!

Scientist: OMG yes, what he said.. :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting

Poster 3: OMG, no he didn't :shock: :shenaynay:

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

From Rotoworld.com:

Clinton Portis went through pre-game warmups Thursday night, but was declared inactive by the Redskins.

He ended up practicing roughly five times in camp and never took a preseason carry.

The Washington Post's Jason LaCanfora goes so far as to predict Ladell Betts will get the majority of the touches early in the season. Portis remains a risky third-round pick if your draft is this weekend.

OK. I'm officially a little concerned I drafted this guy in the 3rd round now. :thumbup:
he's closer to IR, than he is to playing a single down this season. He's a huge BUST at this point.Betts will continue to be the main man in DC.. :hophead:

can the Portis lovers on this board finally get a grip, and pull themselves out of denial, already?!

the guy can't:

practice.

make cuts.

its the end of preseason.he hasn't carried the ball, once..has practiced for only a day or two.he has a surgically repaired shoulder that hasn't even been tested yet..

:blackdot:

From Rotoworld.com:

OK. I'm officially a little concerned I drafted this guy in the 3rd round now. :goodposting:
he's closer to IR, than he is to playing a single down this season. He's a huge BUST at this point.Betts will continue to be the main man in DC.. :goodposting:

the guy can't:

practice.

make cuts.

:hophead:
:blackdot: At this point, definitely :thumbup:

I took the risk with Portis on two of my teams. His potential upside was too hard for me to ignore. By getting him in the 3rd or 4th round, my team is not built around Portis. If he turns out to be the Portis of old - I'm in great shape. If not - I don't think it will kill either of my teams.

I would rather take a shot with him than guys like Caddy, Green, or even Ronnie Brown . I've been down that road.

I will live & die with Portis this year. He is on 6 of my 7 teams. I have the Betts handcuff in 4 of the 6 leagues. The handcuff was too expensive in 2 of the leagues that I drafted last week for. If Portis is healthy...he will get the majority of the touches. Betts is a capable backup....but he is not a star. He would have signed with another team this past offseason if he was. He knows backing up Portis is about as good as he can hope for for the rest of his career. That is why he signed for backup money in Washington.

nygiants56 said:
From Rotoworld.com:

OK. I'm officially a little concerned I drafted this guy in the 3rd round now. :unsure:
he's closer to IR, than he is to playing a single down this season. He's a huge BUST at this point.Betts will continue to be the main man in DC.. :bag:

the guy can't:

practice.

make cuts.

it's posts like this that make it clear why citizens should have to meet a minimum IQ standard before receiving voting rights

nygiants56 said:
From Rotoworld.com:

OK. I'm officially a little concerned I drafted this guy in the 3rd round now. :towelwave:
he's closer to IR, than he is to playing a single down this season. He's a huge BUST at this point.Betts will continue to be the main man in DC.. :bag:

the guy can't:

practice.

make cuts.

Translated - I couldn't get Portis but was able to get Betts. :kicksrock:

Took Portis in the 6th and backed him up in the 7th with Betts in a re-draft. Hope that works out for me.

fatness said:
Part of this is new media (the internet) versus old media (newspapers) and part of this has just gotten personal and ugly between the team and the Post. Either way, it means that you should take articles from, and particularly opinion pieces from, the Washington Post about the Redskins with a huge grain of salt.
To be fair, Jason LaCanfora has done some very informative articles and opinion pieces on the Skins over the past 6-9 months. And it's valuable to read from media sources that are not fed (and regurgitating) the "company line" fed to them by the Redskins .
I don't disagree, but the problem is that unless you are a very informed fan you can't tell on the surface which article to take seriously versus which one to dismiss as a hatchet job. I did say "take them with a grain of salt" rather than "ignore all of them" or something similar to that.

I don't disagree, but the problem is that unless you are a very informed fan you can't tell on the surface which article to take seriously versus which one to dismiss as a hatchet job. I did say "take them with a grain of salt" rather than "ignore all of them" or something similar to that.
The distinction is hard to make, I agree. Although since he's been posting a blog it seems he's gotten better at stating what his opinions are based on (a team source, a player, unexpected appearances, etc.).

nygiants56 said:
he's closer to IR, than he is to playing a single down this season. He's a huge BUST at this point.

Betts will continue to be the main man in DC.. :confused:

the guy can't:

practice.

make cuts.

You give hallucinogens a bad name.

SOOOOOOOOO back to the question at hand!!!! What is Portis' projected status AND what is the consensus opinion on his productivity this yr!!!

He hasnt played a down this pre-season...any homer insight from SKIN practices???

Took Portis in the 6th and backed him up in the 7th with Betts in a re-draft. Hope that works out for me.
Portis in the sixth. Invite me to that league
This is becoming more and more common. The "invite me to that league" comments are getting old. Again, in a $500 antsports league I am in saw him last until the 5.10 pick in a 10 team redraft.

gianmarco said:
Notch78 said:
VaCatFan said:
This is becoming more and more common. The "invite me to that league" comments are getting old. Again, in a $500 antsports league I am in saw him last until the 5.10 pick in a 10 team redraft.
hey... you guys ever consider expanding to 12 teams?... if so, gimmie a call :hifive: :blush:

SpecOpLoad said:
SOOOOOOOOO back to the question at hand!!!! What is Portis' projected status AND what is the consensus opinion on his productivity this yr!!! He hasnt played a down this pre-season...any homer insight from SKIN practices???
The last open practice was about 3 weeks ago. Essentially, no outsider will see a Redskin practice until next year (media types have very limited access, about the first 20 minutes or so, which is basically just the players warming up).Any new Portis info is going to come either directly from the team, or "insider sources".So far, everyone is saying he'll be ready for week1.Opinions on his productivity are littered throughout the previous 12 pages of this thread. I doubt they've changed a whole lot.

SpecOpLoad said:
SOOOOOOOOO back to the question at hand!!!! What is Portis' projected status AND what is the consensus opinion on his productivity this yr!!! He hasnt played a down this pre-season...any homer insight from SKIN practices???
The last open practice was about 3 weeks ago. Essentially, no outsider will see a Redskin practice until next year (media types have very limited access, about the first 20 minutes or so, which is basically just the players warming up).Any new Portis info is going to come either directly from the team, or "insider sources".So far, everyone is saying he'll be ready for week1.Opinions on his productivity are littered throughout the previous 12 pages of this thread. I doubt they've changed a whole lot.
I will likely start A Green ahead of him week one and see where we are.More difficult choice in another league where it's Portis or Caddy, and I will decide during the week.This is another reason why the Betts strategy can hurt. If you took Betts as a handcuff and because of that dont have a legit good 3rd, times like this when you don't know WHO will start are going to really hurt.

gianmarco said:
Notch78 said:
VaCatFan said:
I've found that in more serious leagues, people have a tendency to clam up a little bit and take fewer risks, regardless of how high the reward. :thumbup:

gianmarco said:
Notch78 said:
VaCatFan said:
I've found that in more serious leagues, people have a tendency to clam up a little bit and take fewer risks, regardless of how high the reward. :banned:
If not for going RB with my first 3 picks, I would have taken him. But with the 4.10/5.1 picks, I needed to go WR despite Portis and AP both there. I swear I almost just took both of them too and said "$@#@ it". I had the 6.3 pick and both Portis and AP were predrafted. Portis went 5.10 (insanity) and AP went 6.2 (ugh).

I will likely start A Green ahead of him week one and see where we are.More difficult choice in another league where it's Portis or Caddy, and I will decide during the week.This is another reason why the Betts strategy can hurt. If you took Betts as a handcuff and because of that dont have a legit good 3rd, times like this when you don't know WHO will start are going to really hurt.
:popcorn: RE: the Betts as a RB3 handcuff theory in larger leagues where you have to pony up a 6/7th to net Betts. Though there are 2 sides to this argument. Good insurance if CP goes down for a long stretch of games, but tough at least in the first couple of weeks as this situation plays itself out.I'm also starting Ahman vs. KC week one while we see what we've all got with our (alleged) SOD efforts w/ Portis. I took CP @ the 3.1 in a 14 team redraft league after LT2 / TO but don't have the stones to risk my week 1 game @ this point. Especially if there's a solid RB3 matchup availalbe. I agree that if CP returns to form, he's going to win a lot of leagues for the owners who took the risk, and as long as you drafted effectively later (netting another solid RB2/3) you should still be competitive if he doesn't - or it turns into a RBBC w/ Betts.

so, if portis goes off for 100+ yards and a TD or two this time next week, who's instantly throwing him up on the trading block?

I will be.

so, if portis goes off for 100+ yards and a TD or two this time next week, who's instantly throwing him up on the trading block?I will be.
I will be but only because he's my RB3 and I have bye week issues. Otherwise I'm confident in him the whole year and unless I get top dollar I'll suffer through week 4.

so, if portis goes off for 100+ yards and a TD or two this time next week, who's instantly throwing him up on the trading block?I will be.
I will be but only because he's my RB3 and I have bye week issues. Otherwise I'm confident in him the whole year and unless I get top dollar I'll suffer through week 4.
Bush?
Si. Addai/Bush keepers (6 per team) and Portis was the only possible choice I had at my draft spot. Too much of a dropoff after him, even with questionamrks, to take anyone else.

this thread should be at the top of page 1 til next sunday.
Agreed. Still looking for more definitive news that Portis is starting and will get the majority of the carries week 1. Don't know that any will be released but it would sure be nice if it were.As it is right now I am planning to start Portis unless anything comes out that would make me change my mind.

Maybe one of you Portis owners should take a crowbar to one of Betts knees.
I know you're not trying to add value to this thread, but you're not even doing that well. As a Portis owner, I'm rooting for Betts to be completely healthy. I want someone to keep him fresh, and I don't think that Betts' health is what will determine Portis' playing time. As someone who handcuffed Betts, I want Portis completely healthy. I'd rather have the more productive back completely healthy and have a healthy plan B. The one thing we don't want is a partially healthy Portis who is going to be a game time decision every week, and miss some games. Betts' health is secondary.

Redskins | Portis expects to play in Week 1

Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:13:29 -0700

Ryan O'Halloran, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins RB Clinton Portis (knee) expects to play during Week 1 after supposedly going through all of the work during practice Monday, Sept. 3.

Redskins | Portis expects to play in Week 1Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:13:29 -0700Ryan O'Halloran, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins RB Clinton Portis (knee) expects to play during Week 1 after supposedly going through all of the work during practice Monday, Sept. 3.
shocking! seriously though, thanks for posting.

Redskins | Portis expects to play in Week 1Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:13:29 -0700Ryan O'Halloran, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins RB Clinton Portis (knee) expects to play during Week 1 after supposedly going through all of the work during practice Monday, Sept. 3.
Nice find. More of this.
Maybe one of you Portis owners should take a crowbar to one of Betts knees.
Less of this.

No surprise that he's going to play. Can't wait to see how Gibbs handles this. Is Portis the workhorse with Betts handling 3rd down? Does Betts get to play a few series? Do they alternate series?

Personally, I expect Portis to break a long run where his shows his knees are fine by making a tough cut, shows that his shoulder is fine by running someone over, and showing that his hand is fine with a strong stiff arm.

:sadbanana:

Users who are viewing this thread