What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**2010 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread** (1 Viewer)

derek19 said:
GM considering stepping down ... this is out of left field.
There is a report on profootballtalk saying Scot is not consdering stepping down. Who knows. Maybe the Yorks are trying to force him out. Sucks it's this close to the draft. If they wanted to force him out, they should have done it sooner and signed Holmgren.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/0...mccloughan.html

Report: 49ers cutting ties with McCloughan

When the players reported today for the offseason program, they did not receive much of an explanation of the status of general manager Scot McCloughan. "All they were told was that things were moved out of McCloughan's office," one source said. "Everything was vague."

Meanwhile, FanHouse reports the 49ers are "cutting ties" with McCloughan over "a personal matter" not related to team issues.

The 49ers did not comment on The Press Democrat's initial report last night that McCloughan was considering stepping aside. The team has still issued no statement.
whoa :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made it be known I'm a proponet of drafting RB CJ Spiller at 13 if he's there but have seen a few recent mocks and seen Spiller going as high as #6 to Seattle. I doubt they take him there but if they're that enamored with him so be it, just don't think he's worth a 6 pick. I see him borderline top 10 which means he could fall to us at 13 but he may not be the best pick for us at 13.

I have seen mocks where the 2 players they end up projecting us taking would be just fine with me. Several of the mocks have us taking the same guys. OT Trent Williams at 13 and CB Joe Haden at 17. Williams is probably a top 3 OL. He would take over the right side ,where we need someone badly, and be an anchor there for years. Joe Haden is the best CB in the draft according to both Kiper and McShay. A definite impact player immediately and helps the defense from day 1, plus for the record he [ut up a much better 40 time at his pro day.

If we end up with these two guys I'd be a very happy camper. Certainly it's two positions on the team that need sorely addressed and the team will improve tremendously if we're able to acquire these two rookie players. Maybe the Niners braintrust is opening their eyes and actually seeing the road ahead and what they need to navigate it properly. :rolleyes:

Sad we don't take Spiller but I also understand we need guys elsewhere right now and if we draft Williams and Haden we're a much better team immediately and I'm liking our chances of winning more games than last year. I'm not gonna say the P word and jinx us. Just take the new guys, run with them and show the rest of the division we're no longer a doormat and they're gonna have to contend with us kicking their arses and winning the division.

SF has taken a look at Leon Washington. They're also rumored to be interested in Pacman. Imo either guy would potentially fill our kr needs at a lower cost than Spiller and both are/were proven commodities.

I'd like for us to sign T.O. Morgan, Hill, and company make for a workable #2 but Crabtree, Venron, and T.O.would be a powerful force for Smith/Carr to throw to and difficult for opposing defenses to work against. It'd also be difficult for Singletary to keep all that ego in check but I'd like for us to take our chances.

They've contacted Fargas' agent. He'd be a better backup than Coffee.

I think the McCloughan news is big enough it warrants its own thread.

SF has taken a look at Leon Washington. They're also rumored to be interested in Pacman. Imo either guy would potentially fill our kr needs at a lower cost than Spiller and both are/were proven commodities. I'd like for us to sign T.O. Morgan, Hill, and company make for a workable #2 but Crabtree, Venron, and T.O.would be a powerful force for Smith/Carr to throw to and difficult for opposing defenses to work against. It'd also be difficult for Singletary to keep all that ego in check but I'd like for us to take our chances.They've contacted Fargas' agent. He'd be a better backup than Coffee.I think the McCloughan news is big enough it warrants its own thread.
You are out of your flipping mind on every point. CalBear alias?

SF has taken a look at Leon Washington. They're also rumored to be interested in Pacman. Imo either guy would potentially fill our kr needs at a lower cost than Spiller and both are/were proven commodities. I'd like for us to sign T.O. Morgan, Hill, and company make for a workable #2 but Crabtree, Venron, and T.O.would be a powerful force for Smith/Carr to throw to and difficult for opposing defenses to work against. It'd also be difficult for Singletary to keep all that ego in check but I'd like for us to take our chances.They've contacted Fargas' agent. He'd be a better backup than Coffee.I think the McCloughan news is big enough it warrants its own thread.
You are out of your flipping mind on every point. CalBear alias?
They HAVE contacted Fargas's agent. They ARE rumored to be interested in Leon and/or Pacman. Both have been great returners. Pacman would come cheaply and Leon is tendered for a 2nd. I'm all for bringing in Pacman and wouldn't be upset if we snagged Leon.T.O. is nuts but imo he can still play and is without question one of the best wr's to ever play the game.

SF has taken a look at Leon Washington. They're also rumored to be interested in Pacman. Imo either guy would potentially fill our kr needs at a lower cost than Spiller and both are/were proven commodities. I'd like for us to sign T.O. Morgan, Hill, and company make for a workable #2 but Crabtree, Venron, and T.O.would be a powerful force for Smith/Carr to throw to and difficult for opposing defenses to work against. It'd also be difficult for Singletary to keep all that ego in check but I'd like for us to take our chances.They've contacted Fargas' agent. He'd be a better backup than Coffee.
Link from a SF source about Washington? Washington's cost (2d round tender + a contract NY would be unwilling to match) is prohibitive for someone who is recovering from such a horrifying injury. I wouldn't mind Spiller, but if they can lock up a RT and a CB (like a previous poster noted) there will be some fantastic returners available in the 2nd round.

Per MB & MM,

Barry Sims resigns for one year, 2.1mil. Would be nice to lock him up for a long term contract. He did a good job filling in for Staley last season.

Per MB & MM,Barry Sims resigns for one year, 2.1mil. Would be nice to lock him up for a long term contract. He did a good job filling in for Staley last season.
He's 35 years old - no point in a long term deal for him. I do think it's an excellent signing for depth as you are 100% correct on his success in filling in for Staley. I thought they were doomed when Staley got hurt and they barely missed a beat, at least in pass protection. If they can get a solid RT in the draft and upgrade at LG either in the draft or in free agency, the line will be in very good shape.

Per MB & MM,Barry Sims resigns for one year, 2.1mil. Would be nice to lock him up for a long term contract. He did a good job filling in for Staley last season.
He's 35 years old - no point in a long term deal for him. I do think it's an excellent signing for depth as you are 100% correct on his success in filling in for Staley. I thought they were doomed when Staley got hurt and they barely missed a beat, at least in pass protection. If they can get a solid RT in the draft and upgrade at LG either in the draft or in free agency, the line will be in very good shape.
When I said long term, 2-3 yrs but you are right. Given he's 35, may be better to just keep signing him to one year deals.

Rutgers offensive tackle Anthony Davis is on his way to San Francisco this afternoon, according to his agent. He'll have dinner with coach Mike Singletary tonight and has a full day of meetings tomorrow.

Dream scenario for 49ers draft.

Pick 13 - Haden

Pick 17 - A. Davis

Round 2 - J. Best

Multiple Scores said:
Rutgers offensive tackle Anthony Davis is on his way to San Francisco this afternoon, according to his agent. He'll have dinner with coach Mike Singletary tonight and has a full day of meetings tomorrow. Dream scenario for 49ers draft.Pick 13 - HadenPick 17 - A. DavisRound 2 - J. Best
:lmao: It funny. I did mock on another site in February, and this was how my first three picks went:HadenBulogaBestAt that time Davis was rated higher than Buloga but since the combine, Buloga has shot up and Davis down. Davis seems to have more upside, so Davis dropping down may be a blessing in disguise for SF if this happened to play out. Fingers crossed............

Here's a guide for the 49ers for when it's their turn to make their picks on Thursday, April 22, during the first round of the NFL draft. This is a combination of what I think the 49ers are thinking and what I think they should be thinking:

Pick the player, don't trade back

--OT Russell Okung - gives 49ers option of moving Joe Staley to right side.

--OT Trent Williams - immediate starter at right tackle with chance to switch to left side.

--OT Bryan Bulaga - long-term starter at right tackle.

--S Eric Berry - outstanding playmaker in secondary.

--CB Joe Haden - alleviated any concerns about speed with strong pro day.

--DE Derrick Morgan - considered by many best pass-rusher in draft.

--OLB Sergio Kindle - he might have a better pre-draft grade than former Texas teammate Brian Orakpo, and we know how that turned out for Washington.

(Of course, this assumes QB Sam Bradford, DT Ndamukong Suh and DT Gerald McCoy have no chance of lasting until the No. 13 pick.)

Draft-room debate

--OT Anthony Davis - depends on how comfortable 49ers are with his level of commitment.

--S Earl Thomas - Berry is the only safety that the 49ers pick with no questions asked. But there's value with Thomas because of his ability to play corner.

--RB C.J. Spiller - might not be an every-down back, so is it money well-spent with Frank Gore as the workhorse?

--OT Charles Brown - better suited to playing left side. So if team believes Staley is better, they should pass and shift focus to landing a right tackle in second round.

--RB Ryan Mathews - definitely an every-down back, and no question RBs coach Tom Rathman would love to have him. But with Gore and Glen Coffee already on the team, is it necessary to invest heavily in this position?

--LB Rolando McClain - the 49ers have shown a willingness in the past to spend money on someone to play next to Patrick Willis (remember Lance Briggs?). But can they justify a top-20 pick on a two-down player?

--CB Patrick Robinson - very underrated, as some consider him the clear second-best cornerback.

--G Mike Iupati - not sure the 49ers believe he can transition to right tackle, and this is typically considered too high for a guard. But if he is a future Pro Bowl player, it makes sense.

--G/C Maurkrice Pouncey - remember those two days of OTA practices? If new O-line coach Mike Solari wants an upgrade at a guard spot, Pouncey could be chosen to start at guard and eventually transition to center.

--CB Kyle Wilson - they'd pick him for his cover skills. He has added return skills - until he takes over as a starter. And he'd have to be slotted to start if he's chosen in the first round.

--DT Dan Williams - with Aubrayo Franklin tendered as a franchise player, it might be wise to look for an eventual replacement.

--QB Jimmy Clausen - Alex Smith is signed for one year. David Carr is signed for two years. And Nate Davis still has a long road to get on the field. If the 49ers envision Clausen as a future star (and are skeptical about the guys currently on the roster), then it's wise to make this call.

Take the trade (if it presents itself), not the player

--S Taylor Mays - in college, he was a linebacker playing safety. If a safety can't make plays on the ball, he should not be a first-round NFL pick.

--DE Jason Pierre-Paul - if this were a back-flip competition, he'd be the first overall pick. But his performance hasn't matched his "potential."

--LB Brandon Graham - a very nice player who probably could be selected if team trades back a few spots.

--WR Dez Bryant - he's done just about everything wrong. After spending the 10th pick last season on Michael Crabtree, the 49ers should not invest heavily in another receiver. (Plus, expect a camp holdout. He's represented by agent Eugene Parker.)
link

Here's a guide for the 49ers for when it's their turn to make their picks on Thursday, April 22, during the first round of the NFL draft. This is a combination of what I think the 49ers are thinking and what I think they should be thinking:

*snip*
link
As good an analysis as you'll find almost anywhere. The Niners will have a tremendous amount of options with their picks - they are poised for a very solid draft IMO.

I read somewhere today that with the McNabb to Washington trade that Claussen may fall like Rodgers did. One spot they tabbed that might save Claussen from a huge fall was one of the 49ers picks. Would you guys be happy or upset with that pick? I'm thinking we stick with a RT and then either go with Haden if he's there or Spiller.

I read somewhere today that with the McNabb to Washington trade that Claussen may fall like Rodgers did. One spot they tabbed that might save Claussen from a huge fall was one of the 49ers picks. Would you guys be happy or upset with that pick? I'm thinking we stick with a RT and then either go with Haden if he's there or Spiller.
If Haden and 4 tackles go in the first 12 picks, I wouldn't be crushed to see them take Clausen. I think there are some concerns about what that would do to Smith's already shaky confidence, and the fact that the Niners would probably have to cut Nate Davis to make room, but if Clausen is more Aaron Rodgers than Brady Quinn then SF needs to go in that direction. Matt Barrows addressed this in a recent chat and didn't seem to think there was any way that it would happen, but who knows.

I don't see the niners keeping 4 QBs on the roster and with the way they talk about Nate Davis, I doubt there's any way they take Clausen.Don't forget that there is sense of urgency to this season for the niners. 2 first rounders that can start right away (a probable scenario given the depth of this draft class) will go a long way towards winning the NFC West. At 17 I'd much rather see Iupati. Alot is made of how RT is a great need but from the niner games I've watched, their guards were terrible in pass protection. also if Earl Thomas falls that far, he's a no brainer.The niners have alot of options in this year's draft. The only way I see them screwing this up is by a) reaching for an OT b) taking a QB in the first round.

Mark Davis said:

I'd feel mixed about Clausen. On the one hand, I do think the Niners need a QB change if they are going to return to elite status. Clausen definitely has talent and could possibly be that guy. On the other hand, I had the opportunity to watch him closely and talk to him and his family when he was in high school in California. I never liked his attitude or the attitude of his father. Then I hated him for choosing Notre Dame over USC. You were going to bring four national championships to Notre Dame, huh Jimmy? Usually I like for Notre Dame to do well to set up a good rivalry game, but I didn't mind them struggling so much with Jimmy at the helm.

I don't see them taking a QB in the first round. They've already named Smith the starter and no way Clausen would even sniff the backup QB since they gave Carr and nice backup QB contract. They'll want to pick someone who can start right away. RT and either Thomas or spiller with the next pick and i'll be happy. I'm leaning more towards Thomas but won't be upset with spiller.

I'm very intrigued by taylor mays. He has freakish speed for his size but that doesn't mean a damn thing if you can't cover or tackle someone. If they draft RT/spiller, maybe they can grab Mays in the late first round by trading up. Wouldn't be a bad draft after that.

I don't see them taking a QB in the first round. They've already named Smith the starter and no way Clausen would even sniff the backup QB since they gave Carr and nice backup QB contract. They'll want to pick someone who can start right away. RT and either Thomas or spiller with the next pick and i'll be happy. I'm leaning more towards Thomas but won't be upset with spiller.
i think this is the make or break year for smith. he has had time to prepare. the coaches are saying all the right things. he has weapons - vernon, crabtree, gore, etc - surrounding him to be effective. if he can't put it all together for a good season then they'll look at replacing him.

I don't see them taking a QB in the first round. They've already named Smith the starter and no way Clausen would even sniff the backup QB since they gave Carr and nice backup QB contract. They'll want to pick someone who can start right away. RT and either Thomas or spiller with the next pick and i'll be happy. I'm leaning more towards Thomas but won't be upset with spiller.I'm very intrigued by taylor mays. He has freakish speed for his size but that doesn't mean a damn thing if you can't cover or tackle someone. If they draft RT/spiller, maybe they can grab Mays in the late first round by trading up. Wouldn't be a bad draft after that.
I'm not sure if Carroll played Mays farther back than any defensive player in football to mask the player's limitations or because he really thought it was good strategy to have a player of his physical prowess that far off the line of scrimmage, but Carroll isn't stupid so I have to think something was up there.

With the glaring need for a returner, I was grudgingly onboard the Spiller bandwagon. The Ginn acquisition is enough to knock me off... Bringing in a backup RB to compete with two players already on the roster who I think are at least competent at their positions (Coffee @ RB, Ginn at returner) is just too much of a luxury for a team that could use upgrades at starting OT, CB, S, and maybe LDE (Odrick?).

That said, I would propose that a Haden/Davis draft would be the dream scenario for the team at this point. If those guys are gone, I'd like to see Earl Thomas nabbed with one of of the team's picks to start next to Goldson. He'd fill a big need in terms of adding a cover safety. With #17, I could see them going with Rodger Saffold at OT. I think Saffold was originally slated as a late 1st/2nd round pick, but according to Mike Sando he has been shooting up draft boards around the league recently. I don't think that would be an unacceptable reach to fill a big need. The team simply can't risk going into the season with Snyder lining up at RT again.

I had previously thought a guy like Gilyard would be a great pick in the 2nd, but again I think Ginn changes that calculus. The 2nd/3rd rounds would be good places to grab a linebacker or two (Sapp & Spikes have been names that have been thrown around), or maybe a guard.

Anyone else have an updated wish list?

Pick #13- RB C.J. Spiller

Pick #17- QB Jimmy Clausen

Wouldn't that be a big surprise if they drafted those two. I still would like to have Spiller but at this point I don't want us to screw up two very good 1st round picks. If CB Joe Haden is there they should take him at 13. If OT Anthony Davis is there they should take him at 17. They address two positions in bad need of help and they get two guys who can start right away. Drafting Spiller and Clausen are luxuries we can't afford. If we get Haden and Davis we should be very happy.

Wouldn't that be a big surprise if they drafted those two. I still would like to have Spiller but at this point I don't want us to screw up two very good 1st round picks. If CB Joe Haden is there they should take him at 13. If OT Anthony Davis is there they should take him at 17. They address two positions in bad need of help and they get two guys who can start right away. Drafting Spiller and Clausen are luxuries we can't afford. If we get Haden and Davis we should be very happy.
Agreed. I think I would rather see OT/Earl Thomas over OT/Haden though.

I'd be ok with Earl Thomas as well.

Do you think Thomas would be a better CB or do you think FS is a bigger need than CB?

Wouldn't going OL/OL in the first be the best decision for the 49ers?

That would provide better support for all of that young talent(Crab, Morgan, Davis, Gore/Coffee, whatever QB is out there).

thecatch said:
derek19 said:
Ghost of Bill Walsh said:

Do you think Thomas would be a better CB or do you think FS is a bigger need than CB?
I think FS is a bigger need. Michael Lewis just isn't cutting it. Dashon Goldson came on strong last year but Lewis really hasn't done anything. He can hit but his cover skills are not very good. In the 3 years he's been there, he has 3ints. Need someone better with the big play capabilities. I'm happy with our starting CB's, Spencer and Clements. I don't think Haden would come in and takeover the starting job from either of those two. Clements hasn't been the big play type of CB 49ers had hope he would but he's done a pretty good job against big time WR's like Larry Fitz. If, i know the damn if game, but if Clements would have been healthy for the 2nd Seattle game, 49ers would have won. Plus, Walt Harris has stated he would like to come back and would be a good fit for the Nickle CB. They also gave Tarrel Brown an extension so they must see something they like in him. Also, Dre Bly did a hell of a job last night, imo and he's still out there. Don't think it will be too hard to get him to comeback.

Wouldn't going OL/OL in the first be the best decision for the 49ers?That would provide better support for all of that young talent(Crab, Morgan, Davis, Gore/Coffee, whatever QB is out there).
Not really. There should be solid OT options in the second round. Don't get me wrong - if two great offensive linemen fell to SF in the first then okay, snag them. But they need some help in the safety/corner area as well. Which is why Earl Thomas/Haden are often mocked to them.OT/DB is most likely to help their team...because it takes a good offense AND a good defense to win.

Wouldn't going OL/OL in the first be the best decision for the 49ers?That would provide better support for all of that young talent(Crab, Morgan, Davis, Gore/Coffee, whatever QB is out there).
Not really. There should be solid OT options in the second round. Don't get me wrong - if two great offensive linemen fell to SF in the first then okay, snag them. But they need some help in the safety/corner area as well. Which is why Earl Thomas/Haden are often mocked to them.OT/DB is most likely to help their team...because it takes a good offense AND a good defense to win.
Not as familiar with their seconardary/issues back their. Big fan of some of their front 7 players...Manny Lawson(stay healthy and keep improving) being one of them.I'm just a big supporter of making the rich richer strategy. If the 49ers brass is going to stick behind Alex Smith...providing him the best OL would go a long ways. Along with supporting the other players I said previously.Which OL would be the end of the cutoff for you?Okung/Williams/Bulaga/Davis/Iupati???Pouncey/Campbell/Brown in that mix? IMO it's a huge dropoff after those 8.Waiting until the 2nd for a DB could provide them with a Nate Allen or Kareem Jackson vs Haden/Thomas.Again just throwing ideas out their to you 49er fans.

thecatch said:
derek19 said:
Ghost of Bill Walsh said:

I think FS is a bigger need. Michael Lewis just isn't cutting it. Dashon Goldson came on strong last year but Lewis really hasn't done anything. He can hit but his cover skills are not very good. In the 3 years he's been there, he has 3ints. Need someone better with the big play capabilities. I'm happy with our starting CB's, Spencer and Clements. I don't think Haden would come in and takeover the starting job from either of those two. Clements hasn't been the big play type of CB 49ers had hope he would but he's done a pretty good job against big time WR's like Larry Fitz. If, i know the damn if game, but if Clements would have been healthy for the 2nd Seattle game, 49ers would have won. Plus, Walt Harris has stated he would like to come back and would be a good fit for the Nickle CB. They also gave Tarrel Brown an extension so they must see something they like in him. Also, Dre Bly did a hell of a job last night, imo and he's still out there. Don't think it will be too hard to get him to comeback.
I agree with this for the most part. If they took Haden I think they would line him up as the #3 CB. The nickle corners get a ton of work so its not like he would be riding the bench. I think Clements has been solid, but I think the team would be kidding themselves if they think they are getting more than 1 more year of high level production from him (and his contract may be prohibitive after this year too, but I don't remember the details). I would disagree that Bly was great last year ... he got torched pretty badly by any WR with speed, and I think there's a reason he hasn't drawn interest from any other teams in the last year and a half. Adding the top CB in the draft as a successor for Clements would make sure we are set at CB for the next couple of years. I certainly wouldn't be upset with Earl Thomas, but I think it's easier to find a cover FS later than it is to grab an elite CB prospect.

Not as familiar with their seconardary/issues back their. Big fan of some of their front 7 players...Manny Lawson(stay healthy and keep improving) being one of them.I'm just a big supporter of making the rich richer strategy. If the 49ers brass is going to stick behind Alex Smith...providing him the best OL would go a long ways. Along with supporting the other players I said previously.
The problem with going OL-OL is that the team is already set at one tackle spot, so if you are going OL-OL, it would have to be OT-G. Baas has been inconsistent at LG but he's at least serviceable and may have room for more improvement. You can usually find guards later in the draft - it's not a first round position historically.

Thecatch:

If you could compare Haden to another CB, who would it be? I just don't see Haden as an elite CB. Maybe I'm underrating him.

Thecatch:If you could compare Haden to another CB, who would it be? I just don't see Haden as an elite CB. Maybe I'm underrating him.
I don't follow the college game so I only know what I read. I've heard Haden compared to Clements, actually, a few times. My enthusiasm for him is based solely on him being rated a top 10 talent by quite a few places ... obviously, if SF feels he's being overrated by the Mel Kiper's of the world, they should certainly pass.

Not as familiar with their seconardary/issues back their. Big fan of some of their front 7 players...Manny Lawson(stay healthy and keep improving) being one of them.I'm just a big supporter of making the rich richer strategy. If the 49ers brass is going to stick behind Alex Smith...providing him the best OL would go a long ways. Along with supporting the other players I said previously.
The problem with going OL-OL is that the team is already set at one tackle spot, so if you are going OL-OL, it would have to be OT-G. Baas has been inconsistent at LG but he's at least serviceable and may have room for more improvement. You can usually find guards later in the draft - it's not a first round position historically.
Very true....Staley has been solid. But great running games have stemmed from guard play(again my theory). How many guards have been usually taken in the first round? Not many as you indicated. But lets glance at ones that haveSteve Hutchinson- Shaun Alexander had a great few years...then dropped off when Hutch left and went to Minny where Chester Taylor thrived....and then AP came and thrived.Eric Steinbach(1st pick of second round)- Rudi Johnson played well for a stretch....then he left and went to Cleveland where Jamal Lewis magically had a one year resurgence....coincidence?Alan Faneca -FWP and Bettis had great years with him in Pittsburgh....he leaves...Pittsburgh's running game wasn't the same....then the Jets Thomas Jones plays very well for an old guy, so does Leon Washington(when healthy) and Shonn Greene.I also don't think Haden is "elite". I think he is the #1 CB in the class and a large dropoff after him....but not elite.

I'm sure most of yall have heard the rumblings that Clausen is a lock for SF at 13 if he's there. What do yall think of this? At first my impression was "WHY?!?!". But still I went to youtube to check out some of Clausen's game footage and he was actually very impressive. More so than bradford IMO having watched alot of him in the big 12.

I've begun to see the logic behind picking him as well. The niners have a good nucleus right now and the missing piece is a good QB. I still don't think Alex Smith will be that guy. He will perform well and the team will win some games, but I think they win in spite of him, not because of him. The core group of playmakers on the team are all about in their mid 20s and already pro bowlers or hitting their stride. But developing a young QB will take at least a yr. Why not start now with Alex Smith having one yr left on his contract?

If Smith doesn't improve this year and they don't resign him, who's the QB next year? Carr? I hope not. Davis? I think he's more of a contingency plan than THE PLAN. It actually makes alot of sense to draft Clausen this year.

I'm sure most of yall have heard the rumblings that Clausen is a lock for SF at 13 if he's there. What do yall think of this? At first my impression was "WHY?!?!". But still I went to youtube to check out some of Clausen's game footage and he was actually very impressive. More so than bradford IMO having watched alot of him in the big 12. I've begun to see the logic behind picking him as well. The niners have a good nucleus right now and the missing piece is a good QB. I still don't think Alex Smith will be that guy. He will perform well and the team will win some games, but I think they win in spite of him, not because of him. The core group of playmakers on the team are all about in their mid 20s and already pro bowlers or hitting their stride. But developing a young QB will take at least a yr. Why not start now with Alex Smith having one yr left on his contract? If Smith doesn't improve this year and they don't resign him, who's the QB next year? Carr? I hope not. Davis? I think he's more of a contingency plan than THE PLAN. It actually makes alot of sense to draft Clausen this year.
I don't believe Clausen will be there at 13, I'm still leaning Haden and OT. I think at a minimum the 49ers need to address the OT situation. We can take a CB later or address it next year with a high pick if Clausen ends up being one of the picks. I'm still not 100% sold on him as an NFL quarterback. I don't know that Alex Smith will ever be the answer either though and at some point we will have to address the QB position to ever contend again.

With the glaring need for a returner, I was grudgingly onboard the Spiller bandwagon. The Ginn acquisition is enough to knock me off...
Exactly.I'm still sticking to my guns--we MUST get a legit NFL RT in round 1. 13 (Okung, Williams, Bulaga, Davis) or Haden.17 is best DB (Haden, Thomas) or if both are gone a pass rusher (Kindle, Graham). I wouldn't be against Dez Bryant at 17, either. I can also see a trade down here, where a team like MIN, IND, etc wants to move up and grab the best interior lineman in the draft. Not sure how Balkke runs stuff.I don't want Taylor Mays.

Pick #13- RB C.J. SpillerPick #17- QB Jimmy ClausenWouldn't that be a big surprise if they drafted those two. I still would like to have Spiller but at this point I don't want us to screw up two very good 1st round picks. If CB Joe Haden is there they should take him at 13. If OT Anthony Davis is there they should take him at 17. They address two positions in bad need of help and they get two guys who can start right away. Drafting Spiller and Clausen are luxuries we can't afford. If we get Haden and Davis we should be very happy.
Ooof. This (Spiller/Clausen) would nice for a fantasy team, but a failure for the 49ers and set the organization way back. I'm with you--Haden and Davis look like great fits that should be there.

I agree with both of these last two posts. I don't want Mays/Spiller/Claussen. Earl Thomas/Haden/or a tackle are the two best picks. I wouldn't mind trading down either.

I wouldn't really be wild about Dez but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Looking like we are going DB and OT for sure with the Ginn and LaBoy signings. I wouldn't be opposed a move from the Jets playbook and take 2 studs OL...maybe Davis/Iupati. Either way I'm excited/nervous about Thursday. Wonder if we view Baas/Lawson/B. Jones as trade bait?

WHY WHY WHY?! This better be pre-draft fluff to get some sort of team to trade up so the 9ers can move down a bit and maybe pick up some more picks. I'll be so disappointed if they trade both picks for a qb who won't play this year. We are so close to being in the playoffs...this will potentially destroy the season!

49ers | Want to draft Clausen? Wed Apr 21, 10:21 AM

Tim Kawakami, of the San Jose Mercury News, reports San Francisco 49ers ownership very much wants to select Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen in the NFL Draft and will perhaps be willing to offer both of their first-round picks in order to move up in the draft.

Our view: There's a chance the Bills or Jaguars will select Clausen before the 49ers are on the clock. A team like Buffalo has many holes, and would love to move down in the draft and pick up a couple of extra picks. The 49ers have two former #1 overall selections at QB in Alex Smith (2005) and David Carr (2002), but neither can be relied on to be the QB of the future

WHY WHY WHY?! This better be pre-draft fluff to get some sort of team to trade up so the 9ers can move down a bit and maybe pick up some more picks. I'll be so disappointed if they trade both picks for a qb who won't play this year. We are so close to being in the playoffs...this will potentially destroy the season!49ers | Want to draft Clausen? Wed Apr 21, 10:21 AM Tim Kawakami, of the San Jose Mercury News, reports San Francisco 49ers ownership very much wants to select Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen in the NFL Draft and will perhaps be willing to offer both of their first-round picks in order to move up in the draft.Our view: There's a chance the Bills or Jaguars will select Clausen before the 49ers are on the clock. A team like Buffalo has many holes, and would love to move down in the draft and pick up a couple of extra picks. The 49ers have two former #1 overall selections at QB in Alex Smith (2005) and David Carr (2002), but neither can be relied on to be the QB of the future
The #9 pick is not worth the 13 & the 17, and I highly doubt the Niners would be stupid enough to pay that price. It would have to be something like the 13th & a later round pick (3rd?). However, I am more open to spending a 1st on Clausen after seeing Bill Simmons article this morning referencing how poorly A. Smith fared under some of the advanced QB metrics last season. Ideally, the team won't be picking this high again for a few years, and if Clausen can be an above average QB they have to strongly consider it.That said ... If the Niners don't come out of the first round with a starting RT, they are going to have to do some serious scrambling the rest of the offseason.

Users who are viewing this thread