What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Off Season Dynasty Trade Thread (for completed trades) (2 Viewers)

It is. Don't forget the Nicks over Britt part of this. At least in a strong Class I can understand doing it, but still no way I would. Sure if you wanna go back and look at the last 5-6 draft classes and pick and choose the top guys. Unfortunately, you can't do that. And you may as well take out guys like Richardson, Peterson, and at least one out of Green and Julio (people taking Ingram that year at 1 were insane).The Wells, Moreno's, Bests, and may others even in "good draft classes" turn me off when I know what I have in Charles and Nicks, and I know I like what they are going to do (likely).In this particular class, if you take the top talent and put them on any team you want, still this deal is horrid.Heading into this offseason in a league I had picks 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. I had ZERO chance of getting Charles and Nicks with these picks, let alone just picks 2 and 3. Apparently I am in a league of smart owners. I picked the WRONG year to have a ton of 1st rounders, already sold half of them for 2014 1sts
If you played in a league with "smart owners", how'd you wind up with the top 7 picks? If you're in a league with smart owners, why are they so quick to sell 2014 firsts for 2013 firsts? If you're in a league with smart owners, why wouldn't they trade Charles/Nicks for the top 7 picks? If I was rebuilding, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Hell, even if I wasn't rebuilding, I still might do that- there hasn't been any class I can remember that hasn't produced at least two major studs in the top 7 picks (hell, it's rare to see one that hasn't produced at least three)- and there's plenty of potential this year in guys like Lacy, Patterson, Bernard, Ertz, Allen, etc. If you had the roster space to draft and hold (admittedly, a big if), those seven picks would almost certainly outperform Charles/Nicks going forward, making it a slam dunk for any shallow squad looking to add instant depth or rebuilding squad looking for instant relevance. A double slam dunk when you remember that those picks are only going to rise in value as we get closer to the draft and they start to get some names attached. Again, I think back to the last "weak draft" we had- the Moreno/Wells draft. Well, that year also gave us McCoy, Harvin, Crabtree, and Nicks among the top picks. It looks to me like you're just playing in a league with owners who ludicrously undervalue rookie firsts. But to address your main criticism, I'm not "picking and choosing players", I'm giving you a complete list of guys viewed as "top tier" by the time the draft rolled around. If I were picking and choosing, I would have left the Bests and the Ingrams off the list. I'm saying, go ahead and leave those busts on the list... but pretend you could put all of those names in a bag and pull out two randomly. Would you trade Charles and Nicks for those two names and Britt? I sure as hell would. Of the 24 names, only 5 were outright busts (Moreno, Wells, Brown, Ingram, Best), with another 5 as startable-but-disappointing (Mathews, Crabtree, Stewart, Mendenhall, McFadden), and the remaining 14 as home run, first-2-rounds-of-a-startup type value. As such, here are the percentages on each outcome:Bust/Bust (e.g. Wells/Best): 3.6%Starter/Bust (e.g. Crabtree/Moreno): 9.1%Two Starters (e.g. Stewart/Mendenhall): 3.6%Stud/Bust (e.g. Richardson/Brown): 25.3%Stud/Starter (e.g. Luck/McFadden): 25.3%Stud/Stud (e.g. Green/Martin): 34.0%You'd only have a 16.3% chance of failing to wind up with at least one player the quality of Jamaal Charles (but several years younger). On the other hand, you'd have a 1-in-3 chance of winding up with two guys as valuable as Jamaal Charles but with twice the career left ahead of them. Saying you wouldn't trade the 1.02/1.03 for Charles/Nicks in this particular year is understandable, but suggesting that it doesn't make sense even in the best of years is indefensible. Top-3 rookie picks have historically been insanely valuable. I'm open to the possibility that this year will be the exception, but I'm not open to the possibility that that exception might soon become the rule.
FFPC dynasty format, with roster of 20 (including a K and D), with a cut down date every year in february to 16. The owners were smart because the ONLY owners who would swap a 2014 1st for a 2013 mid-late 1st were teams that are good. Not to mention last year was the startup draft, and even THEN they all knew this draft class sucked. And no, no chance of getting two top talent guys for those picks, at least in my league. Hell, in another FFPC a guy who actually SHOULD rebuild wouldnt trade JUST Doug Martin for picks 1,2,3,6,8. Even in a horrid draft class I disagree with that somewhat, but I can definitely understand why he wouldnt. The teams that make a killing in these leagues are the teams who consistently trade rookies for top level established players. Sure, sometimes you trade away a pick that ends up as good or better (and younger) than what you got in return, but sometimes you give up a total bust. I am MORE than ok giving up that risk of drafting busts to get a a couple players who might be a little worse than what I am trading away. Your % of how those players stack up doesnt take into account the huge descrepency in value between the busts and the nice established players. 2/3 better and 1/3 worse doesn't really say much, especially when the 2/3 better are only a little better and the 1/3 are WAYYY worse.

and at least one out of Green and Julio (people taking Ingram that year at 1 were insane).
In hindsight, it's easy to say that, but Ingram likely went No. 1 in more leagues than he didn't.
Is it really hindsight if I thought this at the time??? I am aware Ingram went #1 in many leagues, because many many people feel obligated to take a RB if they have the #1 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just processed this in league I commish. Fitz and Vernon DavisforMike Wallace, Gresham, and 2013 rookie 4.04

Above trade is a close one. I will take Fitz and Davis if I was making a push this year, but if rebuilding I go the other way. Here is a side question related to trading top rookie picks this year. In my league where I had a lot of 1sts, my only pick left is pick #1. If you guys were going to trade for pick #1 what kind of players would you be willing to give up?

12 team PPR

Team A got:

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR

Team B got::

Britt, Kenny TEN WR

Year 2013 Draft Pick 1.02

Year 2013 Draft Pick 1.03
This one is REAL terrible, my god. Pretty clear Nicks is head and shoulders above Britt, not even close in value.

Picks 2 and 3 for Charles is a total ripoff.

Put them together in the same deal and you have one of the worst deals I have seen. Even in a a strong draft class this is bad.
Last year it would have been Blackmon and Martin - both of which are going ahead of Charles and Hicks in startups.
I haven't seen Blackmon going ahead of Nicks.

Last year it would have been Blackmon and Martin - both of which are going ahead of Charles and Hicks in startups.
Blackmon's not going ahead of either guy. The average of the five startups I looked at have Charles at RB8, Nicks at WR10 and Blackmon at WR19.

and at least one out of Green and Julio (people taking Ingram that year at 1 were insane).
In hindsight, it's easy to say that, but Ingram likely went No. 1 in more leagues than he didn't.
Is it really hindsight if I thought this at the time??? I am aware Ingram went #1 in many leagues, because many many people feel obligated to take a RB if they have the #1 pick.
No, but you should have made that disclaimer in your OP because that was the conventional wisdom at the time.

Team A gets Britt, J. Charles and 2.10 pick. Team B Gets Julio Jones. Good or Bad?
pretty fair IMO. Would depend on team makeup for me. I may go with Charles/Britt side and pray Charles stays healthy and Britt out of prison.
My other RB are Gore and Hillman. I have V. Jackson, J. Nelson, TY Hilton and Roddy White as WR. 2 1st round picks this year as well.

PPR leaguesTeam A gave - Cam Newton and Dujuan HarrisTeam B gave - Aaron RodgersTeam A gave - Ruben RandleTeam B gave - Greg Little and 2013 1.12 pickTeam A gave - Ray Rice and Peyton ManningTeam B gave - Cam Newton, Quiz Rogers, and Vick BallardTeam A gave - Matt Stafford, Greg Little, Michael FloydTeam B gave - Ray Rice, Nick Toon, and Kirk CousinsTeam A gave - Leonard Hankerson and 2.12Team B gave - Brian QuickTeam A gave - Rob GronkowskiTeam B gave - Dez Bryant and Dennis Pitta

12 team PPR league Team A gave: Harvin, Mike Bush, Mcgahee Team B gave: Crabtree, Wallace
Crabtree and Wallace side
Really? I guess I see Harvin as a top 8 WR, Crab and Wallace for me arent even top 15. And Depending on where Wallace ends up, he realistically could be out of the top 20 for me. Personally Im always willing to trade 2-1 to get what I feel is the best player in the deal

12 team PPR league Team A gave: Harvin, Mike Bush, Mcgahee Team B gave: Crabtree, Wallace
Really? I guess I see Harvin as a top 8 WR, Crab and Wallace for me arent even top 15. And Depending on where Wallace ends up, he realistically could be out of the top 20 for me. Personally Im always willing to trade 2-1 to get what I feel is the best player in the deal
Crabtree is about 10 for me, so I'd take the Crabtree/Wallace side even though I like Harvin a lot. Crabs was the 12th best WR this year in my leagues, is young with a dynamic QB, nothing not to like there IMO.

I agree with that and I'm almost always willing to give quantity for quality. I do, however, disagree with WR rankings, and have Crabtree borderline top 10, and Wallace certainly in the top 20.

gave up Kaepernick, Colin SFO QB; Year 2013 Draft Pick 1.10;Year 2013 Draft Pick 2.05got Cutler, Jay CHI QB;Crabtree, Michael SFO WR; Year 2013 Draft Pick 4.06 gave up Mathews, Ryan SDC RBgot Year 2015 Round 1 Draft Pick from VTCats Attack;Year 2015 Round 2 Draft Pick from VTCats AttackQB / 2 RB / 3 WR / TE / KR / 3 FLEX (W/R/T, only Start 5 WR / 3 RB / 2 TE) / PK / 3 DL / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 DL or LBScoring (6 Pt TD / .2 Comp / .2 Ru Att / .5 PPR RB, 1 WR, TE / 2 Solo, 1 Assist, 4 special plays)QB: Eli Manning, Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler, Tim TebowRB: Stevan Ridley, C.J. Spiller, David Wilson, Toby Gerhart, Shane Vereen, Daniel ThomasWR: A.J. Green, Victor Cruz, M Crabtree, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Robert Meachem, Justin Blackmon, Doug Baldwin, Devin Hester, Dwayne HarrisTE: Fred Davis, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Rob Housler, Luke Stocker, Ladarius GreenPK: Adam VinatieriDL M Johnson, C.Jordan, Sheard, Wilkerson, Wolfe®LB Erin Henderson, Hightower ®, Tulluch, Nicholas, Dam Davis ®, Blackburn, Sheppard, RoachCB Newman, SSmithS Jenkins, Polamalu, Taylor** 1.02 2013 1st

•Gooney Birds gave up Alexander, Danario SDC WR; Year 2013 Draft Pick 1.08;Year 2013 Draft Pick 3.08•Joe C's Midget Killers gave up Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR

Julio Jones for Doug Martin
In a vacuum I like Julio. But depending on needs/rosters, I think it's probably pretty even.
I think in a vacuum we all like Julio. But there are so few young 3 down backs that there aren't many formats where I'd rather have Julio. Martin is likely to outscore Julio as well as provide more of an advantage over the next 3-4 years, in my opinion.

Julio Jones for Doug Martin
In a vacuum I like Julio. But depending on needs/rosters, I think it's probably pretty even.
I think in a vacuum we all like Julio. But there are so few young 3 down backs that there aren't many formats where I'd rather have Julio. Martin is likely to outscore Julio as well as provide more of an advantage over the next 3-4 years, in my opinion.
They were only 30 points different in PPR this year, I certainly think Julio has room left. I'm not sure if Martin does.

They were only 30 points different in PPR this year, I certainly think Julio has room left. I'm not sure if Martin does.
I show 52 points, which is huge. About the difference between Julio Jones and Lance Moore.
I was only using the 16 weeks of the fantasy season. I can justify 2-3 points a week for the long term value of Julio which should be very very high for 6-8 years at least.ETA - I do understand the point though in terms of the scarcity at RB increases the value, but nothing trumps the value of Calvin, AJ Green, Julio in a PPR dynasty in my opinion.

I was only using the 16 weeks of the fantasy season. I can justify 2-3 points a week for the long term value of Julio which should be very very high for 6-8 years at least.
That's not what we're measuring, though. We are measuring Julio + the RBs you would start vs. Martin + the WRs you would start during that span. The WR field is very deep, talented, and young; the opposite is true of the RB field. It's not as cut and dry as the above sounds, even in my own mind. Julio is a beast and a better football player and talent, in my opinion. So I wouldn't fault anyone for going with him. I just think the RB field is such that Martin offers the advantage. Just my opinion, and, again, Julio is a great player and a valuable dynasty part.

FFPC dynasty format, with roster of 20 (including a K and D), with a cut down date every year in february to 16. The owners were smart because the ONLY owners who would swap a 2014 1st for a 2013 mid-late 1st were teams that are good. Not to mention last year was the startup draft, and even THEN they all knew this draft class sucked. And no, no chance of getting two top talent guys for those picks, at least in my league. Hell, in another FFPC a guy who actually SHOULD rebuild wouldnt trade JUST Doug Martin for picks 1,2,3,6,8. Even in a horrid draft class I disagree with that somewhat, but I can definitely understand why he wouldnt. The teams that make a killing in these leagues are the teams who consistently trade rookies for top level established players. Sure, sometimes you trade away a pick that ends up as good or better (and younger) than what you got in return, but sometimes you give up a total bust. I am MORE than ok giving up that risk of drafting busts to get a a couple players who might be a little worse than what I am trading away. Your % of how those players stack up doesnt take into account the huge descrepency in value between the busts and the nice established players. 2/3 better and 1/3 worse doesn't really say much, especially when the 2/3 better are only a little better and the 1/3 are WAYYY worse.
Obviously the 16-man cut changes skews the balance in the favor of studs. FFPC produces a lot of trades that look crazy in any other format. You can't extrapolate from that and apply it to all dynasty leagues as a whole. Most leagues offer plenty of bench space to stash prospects, which greatly increases the value of said prospects. Even in FFPC, though, I'd still trade Charles/Nicks for 1.02/1.03/Britt if the draft was especially strong (basically, in 2007 or 2012).

12 team PPR

Team A got:

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR

Britt, Kenny TEN WR

This one is REAL terrible, my god. Pretty clear Nicks is head and shoulders above Britt, not even close in value.

Put them together in the same deal and you have one of the worst deals I have seen. Even in a a strong draft class this is bad.
I didn't see Blackmon going in the top 3 of rookie drafts after his DUI, either.

12 team no-PPRTeam A gave: McFadden, Goodson. Reece, Fred Davis, 2014 3rdTeam B gave: SJax, D. Richardson, I. Pead, Jason Witten, 2014 1st (probably late)

12 team PPR

Team A got:

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR

Britt, Kenny TEN WR

I didn't see Blackmon going in the top 3 of rookie drafts after his DUI, either.
Point being?Don't take my comment as being down on Blackmon. I'm very high on him and he's been a target in all my leagues this offseason. But the simple fact remains, he hasn't been going ahead of Nicks.

These leagues are different than a 12 or 14er.32 team, ppr, 18 starter (11 on D) dynasty contract IDP. A real 32 team, not those multiple player version shams. Depth is key, being able to start a legit player at every spot every week is huge. Therefore, "star" players have less value, and the team getting the best player does not necessarily "win" like usual. There is nobody on the waiver wire to claim. We go 1200 players deep on active and taxi. Just wanted to throw this out there for other 32 team dudes to help gauge value, as 12 team value is way off for us.Gave:Sam BrandfordJason WorildsDre Kirpatrick1.295.29Got:Colin KaepernickCortland Finnegan--------Gave:TE Tony MoeakiCB Jalil BrownGot:RB Shane Vereen

These leagues are different than a 12 or 14er.32 team, ppr, 18 starter (11 on D) dynasty contract IDP. A real 32 team, not those multiple player version shams. Depth is key, being able to start a legit player at every spot every week is huge. Therefore, "star" players have less value, and the team getting the best player does not necessarily "win" like usual. There is nobody on the waiver wire to claim. We go 1200 players deep on active and taxi. Just wanted to throw this out there for other 32 team dudes to help gauge value, as 12 team value is way off for us.Gave:Sam BrandfordJason WorildsDre Kirpatrick1.295.29Got:Colin KaepernickCortland Finnegan--------Gave:TE Tony MoeakiCB Jalil BrownGot:RB Shane Vereen
Care to post the starting lineup of your champion from last year?

'doowain said:
Point being?Don't take my comment as being down on Blackmon. I'm very high on him and he's been a target in all my leagues this offseason. But the simple fact remains, he hasn't been going ahead of Nicks.
Point being if you want to compare last year's #2 and #3 rookie picks to Charles and Nicks (which was how the original Martin/Blackmon pairing came up in the first place), the comparison isn't Martin+Blackmon. It's Martin+Luck. And according to the DLF mocks, Luck is going a full round before Nicks (with Blackmon going two rounds after that).
'BlackMamba24 said:
this one just went down in a 10 team pprTeam A receives: 1.8, Roddy White, James JonesTeam B receives: Percy Harvin
Harvin
'gianmarco said:
0.5 ppr and 5 pt bonus for 100 yd gamesTeam A receives: DT/StewartTeam B receives: D. Murray/D. Wilson
Demaryius

'gianmarco said:
0.5 ppr and 5 pt bonus for 100 yd gamesTeam A receives: DT/StewartTeam B receives: D. Murray/D. Wilson
Tough one, I will take Thomas side
This was actually a difficult one for me. I'm very high on Wilson (higher than most anyone here save a couple folks who have him where I do) and, all things being equal, could have used the RBs more. But in the end, opted to go with Thomas and work on filling in RB if need be (still have Trent and DMC).

'Donsmith753 said:
'5Rings said:
Saints, New Orleans NOS TMQB 37.35Murray, DeMarco DAL RB 9.10Amendola, Danny STL WR 0.00Austin, Miles DAL WR 13.50Bryant, Dez DAL WR 41.15Fleener, Coby IND TE 1.45Steelers, Pittsburgh PIT TMPK 3.00Titans, Tennessee TEN TMPN 9.52Soliai, Paul MIA DT 4.40Watt, J.J. HOU DE 13.60Williams, Mario BUF DE 5.90Durant, Justin DET LB 11.05Posluszny, Paul JAC LB 11.90Spencer, Anthony DAL LB 9.35Carr, Brandon DAL CB 9.90McCourty, Jason TEN CB 14.40Newman, Terence CIN CB 15.72Adams, Mike DEN S 10.20Burnett, Morgan GBP S 9.90Total: 231.39Players Yet To Play: 0

..and for comparison, this is the Week 12 starting lineup of the team that went 1-15.StartersBengals, Cincinnati CIN TMQB 23.30Martin, Doug TBB RB 19.30Cooper, Riley PHI WR 3.15Gibson, Brandon STL WR 0.00Tate, Brandon CIN WR 2.67Stocker, Luke TBB TE 1.75Vikings, Minnesota MIN TMPK 3.00Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB TMPN 3.10Ellis, Sedrick NOS DT 6.60Miller, Roy TBB DT 2.20Freeney, Dwight IND DE 0.00Graham, Brandon PHI DE 2.20Alexander, Lorenzo WAS LB 5.95Foster, Mason TBB LB 8.50Johnson, James-Michael CLE LB 5.95Gilmore, Stephon BUF CB 15.90Toler, Greg ARI CB 3.60Huff, Michael OAK S 8.10Sash, Tyler NYG S 4.50Starter Total: 119.77Potential Points: 141.57

'Donsmith753 said:
'5Rings said:
Saints, New Orleans NOS TMQB 37.35Murray, DeMarco DAL RB 9.10Amendola, Danny STL WR 0.00Austin, Miles DAL WR 13.50Bryant, Dez DAL WR 41.15Fleener, Coby IND TE 1.45Steelers, Pittsburgh PIT TMPK 3.00Titans, Tennessee TEN TMPN 9.52Soliai, Paul MIA DT 4.40Watt, J.J. HOU DE 13.60Williams, Mario BUF DE 5.90Durant, Justin DET LB 11.05Posluszny, Paul JAC LB 11.90Spencer, Anthony DAL LB 9.35Carr, Brandon DAL CB 9.90McCourty, Jason TEN CB 14.40Newman, Terence CIN CB 15.72Adams, Mike DEN S 10.20Burnett, Morgan GBP S 9.90Total: 231.39Players Yet To Play: 0
Thanks, can't imagine playing in a league that deep.

•Joe C's Midget Killers gave up Sproles, Darren NOS RB•Kiss My Ring gave up Rodgers, Jacquizz ATL RB •Flying Ninja Monkeys gave up Kaepernick, Colin SFO QB; Year 2013 Draft Pick 1.10;Year 2013 Draft Pick 2.10•Joe C's Midget Killers gave up Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

Trade 2Team A gave up Sproles, Darren NOS RB;Gordon, Josh CLE WR;Tate, Golden SEA WRTeam B gave up Foles, Nick PHI QB;Kolb, Kevin ARI QB;Acho, Sam ARI LB
Not sure why A would give up so much for the players he's acquired? To me that looks terribly one sided
A is rebuilding, and is at least 2-3 years from competing. And has a top 2 pick in the draft.
So, since he's rebuilding, he gave away one of the top ROOKIE WR's in Gordon and a 24 year old Golden Tate for Foles/Kolb and Acho?Yeah, that makes complete sense. (hint: the reason he's rebuilding is because of trades like this)
Well Team A's owner took over a abandon team. Tate means little/nothing (Baldwin is better). Gordon has value, but he's nothing special IMO. Team A's qb were Rivers, Chase Daniels and Matt More, so getting Foles for Gordon/Sproles was godsend. Its not like Team A could get Luck/RG3/Wilson for Sproles/Gordon, plus Kolb for free and a look at Acho. Team A overpaid on surface but the thought process was correct based on the roster situation even if Foles whiffs. Foles last 4 games as a starter he avg 20.1 points, Kolb's 4 games as a full starter 17.4 including a dud at STL. Looks pretty bad on surface to a avg FF player but in 2 years Team B could be crippled and Team A wont be missing a 32 yo RB and a ok WR.
you are a heckuva salesman, team B. i'm hippling, but this trade is moronic.

Trade 2Team A gave up Sproles, Darren NOS RB;Gordon, Josh CLE WR;Tate, Golden SEA WRTeam B gave up Foles, Nick PHI QB;Kolb, Kevin ARI QB;Acho, Sam ARI LB
Not sure why A would give up so much for the players he's acquired? To me that looks terribly one sided
A is rebuilding, and is at least 2-3 years from competing. And has a top 2 pick in the draft.
So, since he's rebuilding, he gave away one of the top ROOKIE WR's in Gordon and a 24 year old Golden Tate for Foles/Kolb and Acho?Yeah, that makes complete sense. (hint: the reason he's rebuilding is because of trades like this)
Well Team A's owner took over a abandon team. Tate means little/nothing (Baldwin is better). Gordon has value, but he's nothing special IMO. Team A's qb were Rivers, Chase Daniels and Matt More, so getting Foles for Gordon/Sproles was godsend. Its not like Team A could get Luck/RG3/Wilson for Sproles/Gordon, plus Kolb for free and a look at Acho. Team A overpaid on surface but the thought process was correct based on the roster situation even if Foles whiffs. Foles last 4 games as a starter he avg 20.1 points, Kolb's 4 games as a full starter 17.4 including a dud at STL. Looks pretty bad on surface to a avg FF player but in 2 years Team B could be crippled and Team A wont be missing a 32 yo RB and a ok WR.
you are a heckuva salesman, team A. i'm hippling, but this trade is moronic. no way to defend it. but somebody has to pick first every year, right?

Users who are viewing this thread