What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Off Season Dynasty Trade Thread (for completed trades) (2 Viewers)

12 team PPR, start 1 each of QB/RB/WR/TE + 6 flex (one superflex)

team a gave:

daryl richardson

justin smith

team b gave:

aaron dobson

chris clemons

Traded: Tannehill, Crabtree, Lacy, Witten

Got: Alex Smith, Bennett, Wallace, Gore

Trying to compete now with team in sig. I think the upgrade from Mathews to Gore more than makes up for the decline of Witten to Bennett

GeeYouknit said:

Trying to compete now with team in sig. I think the upgrade from Mathews to Gore more than makes up for the decline of Witten to Bennett
I'm tryin to figure out out you're viewing this one? Everybody values players differently, but I'm looking at it like:

Ryan Tannehill > Alex Smith

Eddie Lacy > Frank Gore

Michael Crabtree > Wallace (could you viewing it the other way around though)

Witten > Martellus Bennett (Isnt even close)

GeeYouknit said:

I'm tryin to figure out out you're viewing this one? Everybody values players differently, but I'm looking at it like:

Eddie Lacy > Frank Gore

I'll go through it 1 by 1.

1. I like Tannehill but I am semi-scared and I also believe that Smith will have a career year in KC. They are both bye week starters on my team so I didn't mind the "downgrade" if you want to call it that. I wanted to use the young up-and-comer, Tannehill, to upgrade my RB so I accomplished that.

2. I like Lacy but again I am scared of the foot and if they will actually run the ball. Reminds me of Mark Ingram coming out and how people were saying it's a great compliment to their pass game, yet he isn't living up his pedigree but still servicable at what 6 points a game? (I'm guessing here). Let me have Gore who is in arguable the best run offense with one of the best o-lines

3. I love Crabtree but he doesn't help me win this year, my WR's are really dominant and I think Wallace can return to 2010 or 2011 form, and I see that offense doing better than Pittsburgh was last year. I view them as Wallace trailing Crabtree by maybe 5 spots overall IF he was healthy and playing this year

4. And I agree with Witten being better by a lot. But i also like Bennett in that offense so hopefully that works out.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

Greg Jennings, James Jones, and Big Ben

I threw up in my mouth a little when I seen it
I am a proponent of "getting your guy" but I don't see how anyone would want Greg, James, Ben over DT or Shorts (much less both). Would be interested in the rational of the one giving up DT/Shorts.

GeeYouknit said:

Eddie Lacy > Frank Gore

I'll go through it 1 by 1.

1. I like Tannehill but I am semi-scared and I also believe that Smith will have a career year in KC. They are both bye week starters on my team so I didn't mind the "downgrade" if you want to call it that. I wanted to use the young up-and-comer, Tannehill, to upgrade my RB so I accomplished that.

2. I like Lacy but again I am scared of the foot and if they will actually run the ball. Reminds me of Mark Ingram coming out and how people were saying it's a great compliment to their pass game, yet he isn't living up his pedigree but still servicable at what 6 points a game? (I'm guessing here). Let me have Gore who is in arguable the best run offense with one of the best o-lines

3. I love Crabtree but he doesn't help me win this year, my WR's are really dominant and I think Wallace can return to 2010 or 2011 form, and I see that offense doing better than Pittsburgh was last year. I view them as Wallace trailing Crabtree by maybe 5 spots overall IF he was healthy and playing this year

4. And I agree with Witten being better by a lot. But i also like Bennett in that offense so hopefully that works out.
1. Alex Smith is never going to win you fantasy games. He's not your QB2, even. You should cut him and use the roster spot on something with upside. Big loss for you, cashing in upside for an asset that is going to waste a roster spot and never provide you value. Move him for literally anything. Tanny is worth more than countless Smiths.

2. GB isn't the 2012 Saints. They don't use a RBBC, and there isn't a Darren Sproles on the roster. You can be worried about Lacy and still move him for good value. Gore isn't that.

4. Bennett is a huge downgrade. You didn't need Wallace, Gore, or Smith - and Witten alone would have helped you win more than the lot in 2013, based on your roster.

You moved upside for 2013 production, and because you lost Witten, you undid even that.

Just my thoughts and opinion, of course, but it looks bad to me.

ETA: Just noticed start 2 QB/TE. Gives Smith some value, but makes the loss of Witten that much more damning.

Last edited by a moderator:
12-team Super-flex MOX league where you can start 2 QBs (1 flex). It's a modified PPR League (.5 for rb/1 for wr/1.5 for te).

I was offered up this trade that I accepted:

Dwayne Bowe, Lance Moore, and Greg Olsen

for

Harvin

12-team Super-flex MOX league where you can start 2 QBs (1 flex). It's a modified PPR League (.5 for rb/1 for wr/1.5 for te).

for

Harvin
Why would someone give up Bowe for a guy that's probably out all year? I actually like Bowe as a higher ceiling player anyways in the Reid passing O.

for

Harvin
Why would someone give up Bowe for a guy that's probably out all year? I actually like Bowe as a higher ceiling player anyways in the Reid passing O.
New owner took over an abandoned team that is pretty bare other than Andrew Luck.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

I am a proponent of "getting your guy" but I don't see how anyone would want Greg, James, Ben over DT or Shorts (much less both). Would be interested in the rational of the one giving up DT/Shorts.
I will try to shine light on the subject but I am not in this league so I am guessing. My husband loves dynasty leagues and finally talked his buddy into trying one, he did all redrafts until this league. Earlier this year he joined this dynasty league with 2 vacant teams and they did dispersal draft. The team trading DT, and Shorts was the other new owner, and also found out about the league from the guy he was traded with. From what I hear 3 owners have already threatened to leave if the trade isn't over turned and the new owner is replaced. My husband's friend hasn't made any of the demands but he says he will leave the league on the Monday before the season starts if nothing happens.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

I will try to shine light on the subject but I am not in this league so I am guessing. My husband loves dynasty leagues and finally talked his buddy into trying one, he did all redrafts until this league. Earlier this year he joined this dynasty league with 2 vacant teams and they did dispersal draft. The team trading DT, and Shorts was the other new owner, and also found out about the league from the guy he was traded with. From what I hear 3 owners have already threatened to leave if the trade isn't over turned and the new owner is replaced. My husband's friend hasn't made any of the demands but he says he will leave the league on the Monday before the season starts if nothing happens.
I don't have a problem with it being overturned but throwing the guy out seems too much.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

If the team giving up DT has Hartline, Plaxico Burress and Deion Branch at WR while his QBs are Sanchez/Kolb then hell maybe it makes perfect sense to them. They get 2 starting WRs even if it is a dropoff individually and Ben was on pace for about QB 10 until he got hurt. While I don't love this trade, it is not one I would veto or complain about. If the DT/Shorts owner doesn't like the double concussions on Shorts and thinks he will be the next Austin Collie, then maybe he is happy to unload him. A weak team will often have to trade 1 for 2 or 3 just to fill out a roster.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

If the team giving up DT has Hartline, Plaxico Burress and Deion Branch at WR while his QBs are Sanchez/Kolb then hell maybe it makes perfect sense to them. They get 2 starting WRs even if it is a dropoff individually and Ben was on pace for about QB 10 until he got hurt. While I don't love this trade, it is not one I would veto or complain about. If the DT/Shorts owner doesn't like the double concussions on Shorts and thinks he will be the next Austin Collie, then maybe he is happy to unload him. A weak team will often have to trade 1 for 2 or 3 just to fill out a roster.
Getting rid of young studs to fill in your roster is a poor strategy if your goal is to win fantasy football games.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

Getting rid of young studs to fill in your roster is a poor strategy if your goal is to win fantasy football games.
I saw a dynasty team so mismanaged that when a new owner took over they had 1 legit WR1 and 3 others that might not get a target on week 1. If you have to start 2 WRs what is the use. I would rather rework my roster to have 3 WR2s and 2 WR3s and a WR4 rookie with upside then have 1 WR1 superstar, 2 WR 5s and 2 WR 6/7s. At some point you need players that can be played with a reasonable expectation of points each week. For example, If the owner also owned Harvin/Maclin then he is in emergency mode trying to salvage his season. There are times when you use your tradeable assets to fix problems.

I have seen owners with lame rosters hold onto their 1 stud at a position and rebutt every trade offer because "their" guy is fantasy gold. They won't trade Brandon Marshall for Jennings/Givens even though their number 2 is McCluster and it gets worse from there. Good luck with that.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

I saw a dynasty team so mismanaged that when a new owner took over they had 1 legit WR1 and 3 others that might not get a target on week 1. If you have to start 2 WRs what is the use. I would rather rework my roster to have 3 WR2s and 2 WR3s and a WR4 rookie with upside then have 1 WR1 superstar, 2 WR 5s and 2 WR 6/7s. At some point you need players that can be played with a reasonable expectation of points each week. For example, If the owner also owned Harvin/Maclin then he is in emergency mode trying to salvage his season. There are times when you use your tradeable assets to fix problems.

I have seen owners with lame rosters hold onto their 1 stud at a position and rebutt every trade offer because "their" guy is fantasy gold. They won't trade Brandon Marshall for Jennings/Givens even though their number 2 is McCluster and it gets worse from there. Good luck with that.
I realize now my blanket statement is not useful to this conversation. I guess what I am saying is if you are a bottom-feeder with studs at least sell the stud for some upside potential (rookie picks/young players with upside), not mediocre players in the upper 3rd of their career who have limited upside.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

I realize now my blanket statement is not useful to this conversation. I guess what I am saying is if you are a bottom-feeder with studs at least sell the stud for some upside potential (rookie picks/young players with upside), not mediocre players in the upper 3rd of their career who have limited upside.
That statement is fair enough.

I kind of feel like dynasty teams should be evolving each year. You either have depth and trade 2 for 1 to buy studs or have a very thin roster and trade 1 for 2 so to speak to fill out the roster. I try to avoid even player deals unless I have a very strong position and trade from it to solidify a weak position.

What is sad is when someone trades a DT for the likes of Schaub/A Johnson. Their shelf life is so short it is not worth it. I think Jennings has 3 good yrs left and Jones is only 28. Ben is 31 so he could have 3-5 yrs left maybe. Without seeing the whole roster, it is really tough to fully understand their strategy.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

That statement is fair enough.

I kind of feel like dynasty teams should be evolving each year. You either have depth and trade 2 for 1 to buy studs or have a very thin roster and trade 1 for 2 so to speak to fill out the roster. I try to avoid even player deals unless I have a very strong position and trade from it to solidify a weak position.

What is sad is when someone trades a DT for the likes of Schaub/A Johnson. Their shelf life is so short it is not worth it. I think Jennings has 3 good yrs left and Jones is only 28. Ben is 31 so he could have 3-5 yrs left maybe. Without seeing the whole roster, it is really tough to fully understand their strategy.
Agreed that without the whole story anyones comments can be useless. But this is America, we go on face value!

I am not one to really talk as I have made many trades were league mates question my sanity. However if I make those trades were value appears way off, there is an upside component to it. Jennings may have 3 years left running good routes, but he has C.Pond chucking him the rock. I would be surprised if he surpasses a 1000 yards in a season for the remainder of his career. Love him as a player, but situation is a current event right now for him.

James Jones surprised everyone last year. I always liked his game but think last year is his peak year. Give me a healthy Nelson or Cobb over him anyday. Also I believe Finley will be more of a factor this year and it may be the year the Packers run 5% more than usual and make that a staple (with committing to two RBs in the draft).

Big Ben....again....love him as a player.....but he ain't going to win many teams championships.

In my place of FF business if I sell a stud it better bring some upside....and I don't see it in this case.

Another Thomas trade. 12 team PPR

Team A gave Demaryius Thomas

Team B gave: DeAndre Hopkins, Tyler Eifert, Montee Ball, I. Pead

for

Harvin
Because it's dynasty? Harvin side easily for me.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

I saw a dynasty team so mismanaged that when a new owner took over they had 1 legit WR1 and 3 others that might not get a target on week 1. If you have to start 2 WRs what is the use. I would rather rework my roster to have 3 WR2s and 2 WR3s and a WR4 rookie with upside then have 1 WR1 superstar, 2 WR 5s and 2 WR 6/7s. At some point you need players that can be played with a reasonable expectation of points each week. For example, If the owner also owned Harvin/Maclin then he is in emergency mode trying to salvage his season. There are times when you use your tradeable assets to fix problems.I have seen owners with lame rosters hold onto their 1 stud at a position and rebutt every trade offer because "their" guy is fantasy gold. They won't trade Brandon Marshall for Jennings/Givens even though their number 2 is McCluster and it gets worse from there. Good luck with that.
I mean, I see where you're coming from.. but I wouldn't trade Brandon Marshall for Jennings/Givens even if I was in a start 3WR league and Marshall was literally the only WR on my roster.

Depth is easy to find, especially WR depth. . There were 53 WRs who averaged 10+ PPG last year in PPR leagues. Give me the stud and I'll fill in the holes via waiver wire, small buy low type trades, and rookie drafts.

D. Thomas, Cecil Shorts

for

I don't have a problem with it being overturned but throwing the guy out seems too much.
A new owner.....collusion rght away????..... I did the same thing in a league and I overturned a deal and kicked the new guy out......replaced him, and everything is fine.

And if it wasn't collusion, the guy is simply too stupid to be in a legit league.

I would take the Thomas side there.

I like Eifert, but not that much. I don't think Hopkins or Ball are going to be long term stars. Thomas is a top 3-4 NFL WR.

Could be wrong, but looks like a classic dollar for four dimes kind of deal. Not a fan of those trades usually.

I like Eifert, but not that much. I don't think Hopkins or Ball are going to be long term stars. Thomas is a top 3-4 NFL WR.

Could be wrong, but looks like a classic dollar for four dimes kind of deal. Not a fan of those trades usually.
I agree.

I like Hopkins & Ball but this looks like a case of rookie fever to me. Those guys went 1.06, 1.07 & 1.11 in that leagues rookie draft and in a weak year for prospects. Pead is worth a 2nd rounder at best right now. It could work out as those guys all have upside but seems like you could get pieces with a lot less risk that are more highly valued now. I offered Spiller + just a few months ago and was told DT was not for sale by the owner that made this trade.

Users who are viewing this thread