What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd Official Free For All Chess Tournament- Green & Gold= Champion (1 Viewer)

timschochet said:
OK. Shader is out, or if he returns, he gets a bye this round. Witz, you're white against Abraham. Please send him an invite, thanks.
Invite sent Abe.

Sand said:
joffer said:
wdcrob said:
Joffer 1-0 wdcrob

Not with a bang, but a whimper.
ggMistake there at the end, but otherwise pretty close
Going to post this one?
Honestly nothing to see. I managed to hang for the first dozen moves or so, but never troubled him and on the big exchange after the opening he was up a pawn. Then I goofed by trying to avoid trading pieces after he'd pretty much forced the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sand said:
joffer said:
wdcrob said:
Joffer 1-0 wdcrob

Not with a bang, but a whimper.
ggMistake there at the end, but otherwise pretty close
Going to post this one?
1. d4 d5

2. c4 dxc4

3. Nc3 e6

4. e4 c5

5. Nf3 cxd4

6. Nxd4 e5

7. Nf3 Qxd1+

8. Nxd1 Bd6

9. Bxc4 Nf6

10. Nc3 O-O

11. O-O Nc6

12. h3 h6

13. Rd1 Bb4

14. Bd5 Rd8

15. Bxc6 Rxd1+

16. Nxd1 bxc6

17. Nxe5 Nxe4

18. Nxc6 Bc5

19. Be3 Bxe3

20. Nxe3 Bb7

21. Ne7+ Kf8

22. Ne7d5 Nd6

23. Rc1 a6

24. Rc7 Ke8

25. Rxb7 Nxb7 1-0

jamny def. boomboom

GG. I would like to say it was a well planned execution but it actually just fell into my lap.

I had never seen this game before: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1143956

Shirov's Bh3 is an almost otherworldly move.
Emms has said he considers that the greatest move in chess history.

I love studying Shirov (and, of course, Tal). Two of my all-time favorites. The way they can string together attacks and seemingly make something out of nothing is just magical....I try to play like they do (and inevitably fail, of course, but I have fun doing it).

jamny def. boomboom

GG. I would like to say it was a well planned execution but it actually just fell into my lap.
gg, I'm pretty sure i was one move away from checkmating jamny and so focused on that lol...nothing like waking up to a "You've been mated" notification ha!

nysfl2 defeats brownsfan. Got up a pawn early, and was able to translate that into a sizeable positional advantage.

GG browns.

1) why he did that and 2) what was the result of the match?
Because he saw this entire line when he made the move.

Here's another explanation.
thanks

wow that is so effing advanced and seeing the board so many moves ahead of where i would even dream to think
Even chess engines struggle to find this line like 25 moves ahead. It's not clear to me why they fail so terrifically at finding this move, but I think it looks completely awful several moves deep and the evaluation engine prunes it. Once you show a good engine Bh3, suddenly it likes it. Kind of hilarious.

tasker with a nice move to get my queen. combine that with my kid's intervention and he should win barring another drunken episode. Here's for beer!!!

Round 5- All players listed FIRST are white:

Green and Gold (4) vs. timschochet (3.5) (1-0)

Joffer (3) vs. Wdcrop (3) (1-0)

Sand (3) vs. Pizzatyme (3) (0-1)

Brownsfan (3) vs. Nysfl2 (3) (0-1)

Steve Tasker (2.5) vs. Rascal (2.5) in progress

Mister CIA (2.5) vs. Otello (2.5) in progress

Psychopav (2) vs. Ray Karpis (2) (0-1)

spOOfy (2) vs. Joe T (2) (0-1)

Kutta (2) vs, AcerFC (2) (1-0)

BoomBoom (2) vs. Jamny (2) (0-1)

Unialias (2) vs. Bogart (1.5) in progress

Witz (1) vs, Abraham (1) (0-1)

Rajincajun (1) vs. Timmypg (.5) (1-0)

Mr. Pickles said:
1) why he did that and 2) what was the result of the match?
Because he saw
Simplifying and forcing moves are always better.

Here's an example of a Q+P v R+P

http://www.eddins.net/steve/chess/ChessImager/ChessImager.php?fen=5Q2/2pk4/3r4/3PK3/8/8/8/8

Of course with that kind of material advantage, you should be able to win. And the best, most direct line is 1. Qxd6 cxd6+ 2. Kf6. Yes, you sacrifice the queen for the rook, but the reason is that the resulting position is a well-known win for white. That's a win for white no matter which side has the move. This is the equivalent of kneeling at the 1-yard line to kick an 18 yard field goal with 1 second left. Except the odds of winning are even better.

http://www.eddins.net/steve/chess/ChessImager/ChessImager.php?fen=8/3k4/3p1K2/3P4/8/8/8/8

I should also note that bishops of opposite colors endings are notoriously drawish, even with a multiple pawn advantage. The attacking side is usually powerless to stop the defender from saccing his bishop for one of the pawns and stopping the other pawn with his king.

pizzatyme said:
Not sure how to hide it in a spoiler alert like you guys do.
Top left of reply box (when you click in it) has a little green and white square. Third one over.

Drop down box has "spoiler" option

Here's is my game with Sand in case anyone wants to dissect.

[White "Sand101"]
[black "Pizzatyme"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 c5
2. d4 cxd4
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qa4 a6
5. Nf3 g6
6. Bf4 Bg7
7. Qb3 Na5
8. Qa3 d6
9. Nb1d2 Qc7
10. O-O-O b5
11. Qe3 e5
12. Bg3 Be6
13. Ng5 Bxa2
14. b3 f6
15. Ne6 Qc6
16. Nxg7+ Kf7
17. Kb2 Rc8
18. Qd3 Bxb3
19. cxb3 Kxg7
20. Be2 Ne7
21. Rc1 Qb6
22. Rh1f1 Rc6
23. f3 Rh8c8
24. Rxc6 Qxc6
25. Bf2 d5
26. g3 d4
27. f4 Qc3+
28. Kb1 Qb4
29. Rc1 Rc3
30. Rxc3 dxc3
31. Nf1 Qxb3+
32. Kc1 Qb2+
33. Kd1 Nb3
34. Ke1 Nc1
35. Qd1 c2
36. Qd2 Nxe2 0-1

I should also note that bishops of opposite colors endings are notoriously drawish, even with a multiple pawn advantage. The attacking side is usually powerless to stop the defender from saccing his bishop for one of the pawns and stopping the other pawn with his king.
Once Joffer went up a pawn I was looking for ways to trade my bishop for two pawns -- in hopes of then trading off the other non-pawn pieces and leaving him with a knight advantage against my extra pawn. Then hope to trade off all the pawns. IOW to get it down to K+N vs K.

Never even came close to pulling it off, but was that a good line of thought?

Once Joffer went up a pawn I was looking for ways to trade my bishop for two pawns -- in hopes of then trading off the other non-pawn pieces and leaving him with a knight advantage against my extra pawn. Then hope to trade off all the pawns. IOW to get it down to K+N vs K.Never even came close to pulling it off, but was that a good line of thought?
As a general rule, no. You want to simplify when you are up pieces and complicate when you are down. There is no way you will be able to evenly trade off pawns when he has a piece advantage. All he needs to do is keep one pawn and trade everything else and you are toast.

Once Joffer went up a pawn I was looking for ways to trade my bishop for two pawns -- in hopes of then trading off the other non-pawn pieces and leaving him with a knight advantage against my extra pawn. Then hope to trade off all the pawns. IOW to get it down to K+N vs K.Never even came close to pulling it off, but was that a good line of thought?
As a general rule, no. You want to simplify when you are up pieces and complicate when you are down. There is no way you will be able to evenly trade off pawns when he has a piece advantage. All he needs to do is keep one pawn and trade everything else and you are toast.
Thanks Kutta. Is that true even if I end up a pawn ahead and I manage to break his up pawns up with the sac?

After going 0-2, I expected to finish 0-6. I'm happy with how I'm coming along. But some of the side games I've played have exposed my limitations.

Really having fun with it though. Learn something every game.

Once Joffer went up a pawn I was looking for ways to trade my bishop for two pawns -- in hopes of then trading off the other non-pawn pieces and leaving him with a knight advantage against my extra pawn. Then hope to trade off all the pawns. IOW to get it down to K+N vs K.

Never even came close to pulling it off, but was that a good line of thought?
Being down a pawn really only matters in the endgame. The general rule of thumb when up material is to trade pieces and leave pawns on the board. An extra pawn is decisive in something like 90% of all K+P endgames. And of course as the defender, you want to leave pieces on the board and trade off pawns. If it's the early middle game, I certainly wouldn't be looking to trade down, I'd be looking for ways to win material/mate him. You want complications and counterplay. Your plan was basically to lose even more material in the hopes that it might lead to some kind of drawn endgame. If you're down a pawn, you want to try to leave heavy pieces on the board as rook and pawn endgames are much more drawish, sometimes even with a 2-pawn advantage.

So we're just going to end this after 6 rounds and determine 1st, 2nd...based on points?

How about after six rounds, seed the players 1-26 based on points (and H2H in the event of ties) and playing a single elimination bracket.

Might give it a little better ending.

:shrug:

So we're just going to end this after 6 rounds and determine 1st, 2nd...based on points?

How about after six rounds, seed the players 1-26 based on points (and H2H in the event of ties) and playing a single elimination bracket.

Might give it a little better ending.

:shrug:
Chess tournaments don't usually work that way. I'll do whatever the majority wants, but I'm happy to stop at 6 rounds and then have another one in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread