What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

80s Genre/Categories Mixtape Draft - Draft Underway (4 Viewers)

Mr. Ected said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Mr. Ected said:
Duets, mixes of artists from different groups (Like Kenny Rogers with Dolly Parton - Islands in the Stream - bad example that nobody would pick!)
:confused: I like that song!
Humbly apologize! Is that better? ;)
Maybe this is the draft to dust off the guilty pleasure category ;shrug:

Mr. Ected said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Mr. Ected said:
Duets, mixes of artists from different groups (Like Kenny Rogers with Dolly Parton - Islands in the Stream - bad example that nobody would pick!)
:confused: I like that song!
Humbly apologize! Is that better? ;)
Maybe this is the draft to dust off the guilty pleasure category ;shrug:
Good opportunity to slide in Heartbeat by Don Johnson?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is where we are for drafters:

IN:

Northern Voice

simey

AcerFC

El Floppo

Mr Ected

Eephus

Vike Me

zamboni

kardplayer

valence

Andy Dufrense

HellToupee

John Madden's Lunchbox

JZilla

and possible categories

Pop/Rock

Metal

Hair Metal

Indie/Alternative

Non US/UK Rock

Soft Rock

New Romantics

New Wave

Synthpop

Goth

Punk

Post-Punk

Rap/Hip Hop

R & B

Pop

Disco

Country
UK #1's
1st song off first album
Title tracks
Cover songs
Movie/TV "themes"
Breakup Songs
Songs associated with MTV/Music Videos
One Hit wonders
Guilty Pleasures

The one idea I thought of is "80s wannabes"

This would of course be more recent artists with a distinctly 80s sound

fwiw- I am usually slammed during the day until after 8. I'll do my best to make picks in a timely fashion (before work, lunch or late are my best bets)- but here is my **OFFICIAL** skip me after 10 minutes post.

fwiw- I am usually slammed during the day until after 8. I'll do my best to make picks in a timely fashion (before work, lunch or late are my best bets)- but here is my **OFFICIAL** skip me after 10 minutes post.
Let's put this in post #1...please?

Include me in on this.

In as long as we can avoid debates about genre purity
I'm in but worry about this too.
There will obviously be songs that fit into multiple genre, it's on each drafter to make the case for the genre they think the song should represent. If someone else disagrees, #### 'em.
it's your draft so you can make the rules but the scavenger hunt aspect of the Dealers Choice draft was kind of a fun twist. We could avoid some of the genre debates by replacing some of the sub-genres (e.g. New Jack Swing, New Romantics) with less ambiguous non-genre based categories (e.g. #1 Billboard single, title track off an album). Unless the sub-genres were the point to begin with.
I don't have the time to be in this, but I agree that some of the sub-genres should be replaced with other categories. A lot of the sub-genres listed overlap with each other, and are too much the same thing.

My only issue with too many other categories is that people can use them to select their go-to songs, which would make it pretty similar in terms of the songs selected to past drafts but I'm sure we can find a balance.

My only issue with too many other categories is that people can use them to select their go-to songs, which would make it pretty similar in terms of the songs selected to past drafts but I'm sure we can find a balance.
Many bands that fall under New Romantics also fall under Snythpop, New Wave, or Post-punk.

Many bands that fall under New Romantics also fall under Snythpop, New Wave, or Post-punk.
Yeah, New Romantics seems to be the one everyone wants to take out, plus I got rid of New Jack Swing which will likely significantly lower the number of Bobby Brown songs selected.

Maybe there should be some sort of silly/funny/weird category, because there was so much of it

Does anybody really WANT country?

I think 80s is the last decade where country is actually a unique genre and not just pop/rock with a steel guitar and a twang thrown in, and it seems like a somewhat defining period for hip-hop rap too.

I think we should degenrify some of the rock and pop.. perhaps have wild cards or more themes

Maybe "disco" can be "dance hits" since disco more or less died early

Maybe there should be some sort of silly/funny/weird category, because there was so much of it

Does anybody really WANT country?
I like 80s country better than rap/hip hop.
'80s country may be very user-friendly since there were a ton of crossover hits on the pop charts.
The 80s is also when alternative country began to surge.
Yeah I didn't think about this but it's very true.. even some stuff I was into

Right now we have 16 genres and 11 categories, maybe we can balance it at 12 & 12? Goth and Post-Punk can easily fall into other categories, so I'll take them out first. That leaves 14 & 11

Pop/Rock

Metal

Hair Metal

Indie/Alternative

Non US/UK Rock

Soft Rock

New Wave

Synthpop

Punk

Rap/Hip Hop

R & B/New Jack Swing

Pop

Disco/Dance/House

Country
UK #1's
1st song off first album
Title tracks
Cover songs
Movie/TV "themes"
Breakup Songs
One Hit wonders
Guilty Pleasures
Wannabee 80s
Silly/Funny/Weird
Goth

Post-Punk

I love(d) New Jack Swing but it happened pretty late in the decade. There were some records with a NJS sound before it but I think of Guy's debut album as the official start of the movement. That was mid-1988 leaving only a year and a half of eligible songs.

I'd rather lump it in with R&B and split Rap into East and West Coast categories.

Just to confirm: wannabe '80s are bands that came after the '80s, but whose material sounds like '80s?

Maybe pop/rock and soft rock are ones that should go. It's easy enough to take Rick Astley or Michael Bolton in one of the "categories".

What is the difference in metal and hair metal? Does hair metal just have more of a pop sound, and the guys have bigger hair?

What is the difference in metal and hair metal? Does hair metal just have more of a pop sound, and the guys have bigger hair?
Metal is leather, hair metal is lace.

Strangely enough, some bands fall into both categories depending on when in their career you're talking about.

Here's a split of 12 and 12, for any category we add from here, a new one has to come out:

Genres (12)

Metal

Hair Metal

Indie/Alternative

Soft Rock

New Wave

Synthpop

Punk

Rap/Hip Hop

R & B/New Jack Swing

Pop

Disco/Dance/House

Country
(Goth, Post-Punk, Pop/Rock)

Categories (12)
Non US/UK Band
UK #1's
1st song off first album
Title tracks
Cover songs
Movie/TV "themes"
Breakup Songs
One Hit wonders
Guilty Pleasures
Wannabee 80s
Silly/Funny/Weird

Are some of the categories too restrictive? Would we be better to eliminate some of the MTV/Movie Theme/Guilty Pleasure types and open it up to categories that are more generic/wildcards?

Thirty years later I still don't know what "post-punk" is, but I'm all for it

Pop/synth pop could be merged? Synth pop probably also works with dance..

Are some of the categories too restrictive? Would we be better to eliminate some of the MTV/Movie Theme/Guilty Pleasure types and open it up to categories that are more generic/wildcards?
I think 24 songs is a long mix. If we could somehow get it down to 20, that would be better IMO.

I'd kill movie theme (because we used something very similar in the last draft) and breakup song (because they don't write 'em like that anymore). Could we combine hair/non-hair metal and new wave/synthpop?

Thirty years later I still don't know what "post-punk" is, but I'm all for it
I don't know what it is either.

I just looked it up, and i didn't realize any of those bands were considered post-punk. post-punk I thought a lot of those bands were indie/alternative during the 80s, or known as "college rock" back then.

Users who are viewing this thread