What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

80s Genre/Categories Mixtape Draft - Draft Underway (3 Viewers)

I'd kill movie theme (because we used something very similar in the last draft) and breakup song (because they don't write 'em like that anymore). Could we combine hair/non-hair metal and new wave/synthpop?
Yeah, we did movies last draft, but I think TV themes would be good. It was a golden age for TV.

Agreed on striking breakup songs and combining metal/hair metal and new wave/synthpop.

Are some of the categories too restrictive? Would we be better to eliminate some of the MTV/Movie Theme/Guilty Pleasure types and open it up to categories that are more generic/wildcards?
I think 24 songs is a long mix. If we could somehow get it down to 20, that would be better IMO.

I'd kill movie theme (because we used something very similar in the last draft) and breakup song (because they don't write 'em like that anymore). Could we combine hair/non-hair metal and new wave/synthpop?
I like the movie or TV show theme, it is different enough IMO

"Synthpop" seems like it fits into a few other things so maybe just eliminate that

Upon further review, pop, MTV and UK#1 are kind of redundant. I'd suggest ditching pop as a genre and replacing it with a wildcard genre so people can postpunk themselves silly if they want to.

MTV seems very subjective, outside of a handful of obvious (and often played out/not-so-great) choices

Last edited by a moderator:
Thirty years later I still don't know what "post-punk" is, but I'm all for it
I don't know what it is either.

I just looked it up, and i didn't realize any of those bands were considered post-punk. post-punk I thought a lot of those bands were indie/alternative during the 80s, or known as "college rock" back then.
NV, do you consider some of those bands listed in post-punk as indie/alternative during the 80s?

????

Genres (11)

Metal/Hair Metal

Indie/Alternative

Soft Rock

New Wave/Synthpop

Punk/Post-Punk

Rap/Hip Hop

R & B/New Jack Swing

Pop

Disco/Dance/House

Country
Wildcard
(Goth, Post-Punk, Pop/Rock)

Categories (11)
Non US/UK Band
UK #1's
1st song off first album
Title tracks
Cover songs
Movie/TV "themes"
Ahead of Its Time
One Hit wonders
Guilty Pleasures
Wannabee 80s
Silly/Funny/Weird
Songs associated with MTV/Music Videos

I just looked it up, and i didn't realize any of those bands were considered post-punk. post-punk I thought a lot of those bands were indie/alternative during the 80s, or known as "college rock" back then.
NV, do you consider some of those bands listed in post-punk as indie/alternative during the 80s?
Yes, for sure. I originally had the new wave/synthpop/goth/post-punk/indie/new romantics all as seperate genres because I think they could be underrepresented as we get more categories which will lend themselves to mainstreamier pop and rock picks, but it seems like the preference is more for the categories and I'm not picky, I'll just pick a lot of new wave/indie/punky stuff in the categories.

I think of PiL as the definitive post-punk band. Some of the bands listed in the wikipedia article are real head scratchers for me.

I thought of another category.. how about something like "ahead of their time"

Nerds should have a field day with this

Can you give an example from another decade?
Well it would be stuff that seemingly set the tone for a wave of music that came later. Like Joy Division or something. If it's more obscure than that, even better..
I like the category. Definitely requires putting on the thinking cap.

It's fairly subjective :shrug: Just an idea. Most of what I can think of is in the 80's having an effect on 90's music as well

Every velvet underground song?
Miles Davis would probably be another one.
I think it's easier to say an artist is forward looking and influential. A single song, not so much.
Maybe, but could always use a representative song from said artist.

I think it's easier to say an artist is forward looking and influential. A single song, not so much.
Music, especially pop music, exists as a continuum. Artists are generally both influencer and influencee. True groundbreakers are few and far between and grow more scarce the closer we get to the present.

:nerd:

Music, especially pop music, exists as a continuum. Artists are generally both influencer and influencee. True groundbreakers are few and far between and grow more scarce the closer we get to the present.

I doubt anyone will argue with you there. Still, there were plenty of groundbreakers in the 80's IMO, and not even most notably in rock.

I doubt anyone will argue with you there. Still, there were plenty of groundbreakers in the 80's IMO, and not even most notably in rock.
I've got my thinking cap on but it's not working today

We're only allowed two black categories or the FFA gets uncomfortable

80's funk is pretty much the Prince related list from the last draft along with some Prince

Users who are viewing this thread