What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris (1 Viewer)

Yea, I've watched some highlights. He looks pretty average to me. Serviceable, but nothing special.

I think the main reason he has value right now is because all of the other backs on the roster are injured or recovering from injury. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to have any staying power, although there are always a couple major surprises in every draft class.

He looked legit to me. Royster is no physical monster either. Plus you KNOW he will put up good numbers in at least one game. Skins RBs are good picks in survivor or best lineup leagues.

he looks very much like guys who shanny has gotton a half year to year or so out of. Limited athlete with some football instincts and decent eonough vision. If in dynasty as long as you are not thinking you have the next terrell davis or a multi-year starter, nothing wrong with picking him up as one a year dude or flip when you can type player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight Morris ran 14 times for 107 yards and a TD. And that's being pulled early with the rest of the starters. Of course it was against the Colts, but you can't say he has no talent because he is still doing this against starting-caliber professional football players. I had my draft tonight and felt comfortable selecting him in the 16th round. Very low risk but possibly big reward if you can get a starting RB in the 16th round; it's a no brainer really.

Tonight Morris ran 14 times for 107 yards and a TD. And that's being pulled early with the rest of the starters. Of course it was against the Colts, but you can't say he has no talent because he is still doing this against starting-caliber professional football players. I had my draft tonight and felt comfortable selecting him in the 16th round. Very low risk but possibly big reward if you can get a starting RB in the 16th round; it's a no brainer really.
Uhhh..........sure...

Uhhh..........sure...
Brilliant response...very well thought out. I'm very impressed.

Grabbed him with my last pick last night. He could end up as waiver fodder after a few weeks or he could be gold. We'll see.

did shanny announce who the starter was each week, or did he normally keep it a secret until kickoff?

So, where's this thing at now?

Helu has a huge night, Royster solid, Morris and Hightower don't play.

Is it time to fire up the Dorson Bryce thread?

part of me thinks they didnt play becuase they are starting nextw eek...

but helu and royster both had nice #s..

oye

Maybe Shanahan just wanted to see Helu and Royster in game action. They're both coming off injury. Or maybe he is giving other teams a look for a possible trade.

I wouldn't read too much into Hightower not playing. I think he will be eased back in. He may not be very involved until a number of weeks into the season.

It is interesting that Morris didn't play and one could try and read in the tea leaves that this puts Morris at the top of the pecking order. But why? So he has good preseason game against last year's worst team? Shanahan had seen enough?

I think this has everything to do with evaluation. Shanahan had seen Alfred Morris last week. He hadn't seen Helu or Royster as much this preseason so they got the looks last night.

The season will progress. Helu showed he is healthy. If I am handicapping I put it like this: Helu/Royster/Morris/Hightower. I'd want to own the Washington RBs in that order. From everything I have read (and I have not seen these guys in action a lot) Helu has a gear that the others don't have.

So, where's this thing at now?
What does it matter? It was somewhere different 2 weeks ago, and a month ago, and will be somewhere different 2 weeks from now, and a month from now...Same as it ever was... same as it ever was... same as it ever was...
I think it's important to know where things are at any given time in Washington because timing is very important in terms of trades -- with Helu/Royster looking good, Morris' perceived value may be less than it was yesterday morning so if you believe in him (I don't), you may be able to get him cheaper. In week 3 when Royster has 140 and 2 TDs, his value will skyrocket and you may be able to move him for something decent, and so on.

Maybe Shanahan just wanted to see Helu and Royster in game action. They're both coming off injury. Or maybe he is giving other teams a look for a possible trade. I wouldn't read too much into Hightower not playing. I think he will be eased back in. He may not be very involved until a number of weeks into the season. It is interesting that Morris didn't play and one could try and read in the tea leaves that this puts Morris at the top of the pecking order. But why? So he has good preseason game against last year's worst team? Shanahan had seen enough?I think this has everything to do with evaluation. Shanahan had seen Alfred Morris last week. He hadn't seen Helu or Royster as much this preseason so they got the looks last night.The season will progress. Helu showed he is healthy. If I am handicapping I put it like this: Helu/Royster/Morris/Hightower. I'd want to own the Washington RBs in that order. From everything I have read (and I have not seen these guys in action a lot) Helu has a gear that the others don't have.
:goodposting:

If I am handicapping I put it like this: Helu/Royster/Morris/Hightower. I'd want to own the Washington RBs in that order. From everything I have read (and I have not seen these guys in action a lot) Helu has a gear that the others don't have.
As a Skins homer I would put it in the exact same order. Obviously it doesnt mean that's how it will play out but that's how I see things standing.Helu is the one with explosiveness and big play ability. He has, by far IMO, the biggest ceiling of all the RBs on the roster.Royster is a guy who is good at making one quick cut and running downhill but for the most part is going to get what is blocked.Morris is the most physical runner of the group and will get you yards after contact but is really not a guy I look at as having staying power in the NFL.Hightower is a "pro" and is decent at everything but not really great at anything IMO. I'm not a fan of him getting a lot of playing time unless the younger guys are hurt or completely flop.

the only way I get on board this wagon is if I had no one else to reasonably start and I plug him in out of desperation.

You guys know how this story goes. You've seen it a million times. What makes you think its going to be any different this time?

If you get this guy and play him, you will be right back in here in 10 days griping about how shanny either rotated three guys or you wished Morris didn't fumble and get pulled for the rest of the game or how come Morris got the 15 carries for 42 yards but Helu came in for passes and GL.

I mean, sometimes you just have to put that addiction for being the guy to scoop a player back in your bottle and move on because the chances that you become yet another name in the long line of jilted Shanny-haters far outweighs the chances you are here ten weeks from now talking about the S.O.D.

Sometimes you have to think "I'd rather you (some other owner) has a guy and be right than me have the guy and be wrong because it can hurt me in many more ways than it can help."

At this point if Shanny really wanted to screw with people he would pick one guy and make him the stud. He needs to pick a new game to play with us, this one seems played out.

So, where's this thing at now?Helu has a huge night, Royster solid, Morris and Hightower don't play.Is it time to fire up the Dorson Bryce thread?
They didn't play because they are the starters. No RG3, Garcon, etc. either. Helu had good numbers in the second half of the 4th pre-season game. Maybe he is healthy now, but I don't like Achilles issues for a speed guy.

I think the first game looks a lot like this:

Morris for 1-2 downs 65%, Royster 35%. Mix of Hightower/Helu on third downs.

IOW, total garbage.

Morris was a fumbling machine in college......With that said, the talent level of all the Washington Rb's is not that wide from one to the next. You would think Shanny is going to play whoever provides the most protection for RGIII. I'm banking on Royster with Helu as change of pace until Hightower is full go.

When was the last time Shanny really found a gem at RB? Anderson and Gary were over a decade ago. Portis was an awesome talent.

Morris is just a guy. Totally interchangeable with all the other RBs on the roster. I wouldn't touch this situation with a ten foot pole. You could spend four roster spots just to lock down a mediocre starter whose liable to lose his job any given week.

If I am handicapping I put it like this: Helu/Royster/Morris/Hightower. I'd want to own the Washington RBs in that order. From everything I have read (and I have not seen these guys in action a lot) Helu has a gear that the others don't have.
As a Skins homer I would put it in the exact same order. Obviously it doesnt mean that's how it will play out but that's how I see things standing.Helu is the one with explosiveness and big play ability. He has, by far IMO, the biggest ceiling of all the RBs on the roster.Royster is a guy who is good at making one quick cut and running downhill but for the most part is going to get what is blocked.Morris is the most physical runner of the group and will get you yards after contact but is really not a guy I look at as having staying power in the NFL.Hightower is a "pro" and is decent at everything but not really great at anything IMO. I'm not a fan of him getting a lot of playing time unless the younger guys are hurt or completely flop.
I agree with this order also. Morris is a solid, tough runner, but he isn't anything special. Helu and Royster are the guys to own in DC, with Helu's game-breaking ability ultimately winning out.

last year, I drafted helu figuring he'd push past hightower, who I had pegged as a chump even before the injury, and early this summer I had helu easily over royster, but I think I'm waffling.

hightower - shanny fav, but damaged goods and a chump

helu - maybe the best runner, but he broke down after 4 games and has chronic achilles tendonitis -- possible short term, but can't see him long term

morris - getting all the recent preseason hype, which is funny because a month ago people would throw him in these threads for a joke, but the other 3 have been stewing in this system for a year longer than he has, and I hear his pass pro sux

royster - I think the pro-royster crowd has won me over, as he's the last man standing, and I think morris just got all those carries recently because the sore knee caused him to miss his turn.

I have no idea where all these guys are going at this point, or wtf shanny will do, but I put my dough on royster late in the draft, and with the recent royster hype he might have sunk down even later.

is there a fifth guy I left off teh list -- udfa or something?

So in that last game, Shanny was sitting out his starter and letting Helu/Royster battle for the #2 job? Likely already knew Hightower was cut.

Hightower was always limited as a runner. Even as a local I have zero clue who will get the carries. I think it'll take an injury for someone to be a reliable fantasy start.

i took alfred morris with the very last, 112th pick in my deep dyno rookie draft

thats how far off the radar he was not too long ago

last year, I drafted helu figuring he'd push past hightower, who I had pegged as a chump even before the injury, and early this summer I had helu easily over royster, but I think I'm waffling.hightower - shanny fav, but damaged goods and a chumphelu - maybe the best runner, but he broke down after 4 games and has chronic achilles tendonitis -- possible short term, but can't see him long termmorris - getting all the recent preseason hype, which is funny because a month ago people would throw him in these threads for a joke, but the other 3 have been stewing in this system for a year longer than he has, and I hear his pass pro suxroyster - I think the pro-royster crowd has won me over, as he's the last man standing, and I think morris just got all those carries recently because the sore knee caused him to miss his turn.I have no idea where all these guys are going at this point, or wtf shanny will do, but I put my dough on royster late in the draft, and with the recent royster hype he might have sunk down even later.is there a fifth guy I left off teh list -- udfa or something?
they're trying to work a trade for Slaton :lmao:

last year, I drafted helu figuring he'd push past hightower, who I had pegged as a chump even before the injury, and early this summer I had helu easily over royster, but I think I'm waffling.hightower - shanny fav, but damaged goods and a chumphelu - maybe the best runner, but he broke down after 4 games and has chronic achilles tendonitis -- possible short term, but can't see him long termmorris - getting all the recent preseason hype, which is funny because a month ago people would throw him in these threads for a joke, but the other 3 have been stewing in this system for a year longer than he has, and I hear his pass pro suxroyster - I think the pro-royster crowd has won me over, as he's the last man standing, and I think morris just got all those carries recently because the sore knee caused him to miss his turn.I have no idea where all these guys are going at this point, or wtf shanny will do, but I put my dough on royster late in the draft, and with the recent royster hype he might have sunk down even later.is there a fifth guy I left off teh list -- udfa or something?
Report: Redskins working on trade for Slaton :loco: The Redskins are working on a trade that would send WR Anthony Armstrong to the Dolphins for RB Steve Slaton.Talks are "ongoing." There are plenty of connections here as Slaton played for current Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan in Houston and Armstrong spent 2008 on the Dolphins' practice squad. Slaton is currently fourth on the running back depth chart in Miami and hasn't earned significant playing time since 2009, but would at least threaten for a role in Washington. The Shanahans aren't afraid to give anyone carries and Slaton fits best in the zone-blocking scheme.Source: Mike Jones on TwitterAug 31 - 12:30 PM

Yea, I've watched some highlights. He looks pretty average to me. Serviceable, but nothing special.I think the main reason he has value right now is because all of the other backs on the roster are injured or recovering from injury. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to have any staying power, although there are always a couple major surprises in every draft class.
:rolleyes: I remember when people said the same thing about Foster...who knows, we'll see.

Yea, I've watched some highlights. He looks pretty average to me. Serviceable, but nothing special.I think the main reason he has value right now is because all of the other backs on the roster are injured or recovering from injury. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to have any staying power, although there are always a couple major surprises in every draft class.
:rolleyes: I remember when people said the same thing about Foster...who knows, we'll see.
Yes, and I remember when they said it about Ryan Torain.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan knows who his starting running back is going to be this season. But he isn’t telling.Shanahan said at his press conference today that he has a first choice among the three running backs on his roster (2011 fourth-round pick Roy Helu, 2011 sixth-round pick Evan Royster and 2012 sixth-round pick Alfred Morris), but he considers the question of which one of them will be the primary ball carrier when the Redskins open the season against the Saints to be a secret.
Ohhhhh, that tricky RAT!

He also said that he prefers one RB to carry the load, but its tough to find that guy. Which many of us have been saying all along.

So if one guy can get the job and run with it, they'll be a reliable stud.

But I fear that won't happen until such a great value falls to Shanahan in the draft that he HAS to take him, in the 3rd or higher. Then you could get Portis-level fantasy stardom. Until then, nobody has the talent/health in that backfield to convincingly take the job from anyone else....leading to the "Shanahanigans".

I think Helu was hurt, Shanny took the opp to develop a guy who never would have seen the field but once the season starts you will see a lot of Helu

I think Helu was hurt, Shanny took the opp to develop a guy who never would have seen the field but once the season starts you will see a lot of Helu
I think this is right. I was pretty happy to get Royster for $1 after preseason game 2, but Helu's return has me wondering if he's worth a spot on my roster any more with guys like Dwyer and Green available. It might be time to remove myself from this situation entirely.

"Shanahanigans" was without a doubt one of the most knee-jerk reactions in fantasy football and the surprising thing is that it stuck. I say this b/c Shanahan's RBs have endured some of the most ridiculous set of circumstances the past 5-6 years yet everyone ignores it.

2007: 1st year in a while that Shanahan hadn't produced a 1,000 yard rusher. I believe injuries or possibly a drug related type of suspension for Travis Henry?

2008: Shanahan's last year in Denver. Shanahan couldn't keep an RB healthy to save his life. The Travis Henry suspension might have come here. Either way, Shanny must have had 6 RBs who had between 30-70 carries and all of them fell to injury at one time or another.

2 Year Hiatus...

2010: Torain was getting workhorse type of carries on his way to 1,000 yards and...you guessed it, another injury derailed that.

2011: Drafts Helu, Royster, and trades for Hightower. That to me comes across as a "#### this, I'm fixing this problem once and for all" type of offseason. Most talented stable he's had in years. Hightower gets workhorse carries early in the year and was touted by many as one of the biggest steals of the fantasy season and then....he gets injured. Later in the season Helu gets workhorse carries, starts putting up monster numbers and...you guessed it again, he gets injured. Royster then finishes the year on a high note, making the most out of his workhorse carries.

2012: Hightower still recovering from ACL, Helu has whatever the hell he has in both of his achilles so Shanny gives the nod to Royster b/c of how he finished 2011 and surprise...he gets sidelined by a knee injury. Enter Alfred Morris.

As for what that means for Helu, Rosyer, and Morris....

Shanny just wants an RB to step up, stay healthy, and not make mistakes. He doesn't need a superstar (see Clinton Portis trade). Not sure who will step up but I wouldn't be surprised if Helu is in the "doghouse" despite his huge game in Week 4. He fumbled a toss play then kicked the ball out of bounds (even though it was negated by a penalty, Shanahan still saw it). Consequently, Helu didn't see touches until late in the game. Once he finally got back into the game, Helu had some great runs, but still made a couple mistakes. Most notably he didn't run out of bounds late in a two minute drill, which resulted in him losing his shoe when he got tackled in bounds. Helu stood there like a deer in headlights looking to the sideline, as if wanting to be spelled b/c he couldn't put his shoe back on (due to heavy padding on his foot for his Achilles injury). This shoe thing lasted for 2 or 3 plays, it was ridiculous.

While you guys have them rated by skill set, I'm ranking them in the order which they'll receive their chance to shine:

Morris/Royster/Helu

"Shanahanigans" was without a doubt one of the most knee-jerk reactions in fantasy football and the surprising thing is that it stuck. I say this b/c Shanahan's RBs have endured some of the most ridiculous set of circumstances the past 5-6 years yet everyone ignores it.2007: 1st year in a while that Shanahan hadn't produced a 1,000 yard rusher. I believe injuries or possibly a drug related type of suspension for Travis Henry? 2008: Shanahan's last year in Denver. Shanahan couldn't keep an RB healthy to save his life. The Travis Henry suspension might have come here. Either way, Shanny must have had 6 RBs who had between 30-70 carries and all of them fell to injury at one time or another.2 Year Hiatus...2010: Torain was getting workhorse type of carries on his way to 1,000 yards and...you guessed it, another injury derailed that.2011: Drafts Helu, Royster, and trades for Hightower. That to me comes across as a "#### this, I'm fixing this problem once and for all" type of offseason. Most talented stable he's had in years. Hightower gets workhorse carries early in the year and was touted by many as one of the biggest steals of the fantasy season and then....he gets injured. Later in the season Helu gets workhorse carries, starts putting up monster numbers and...you guessed it again, he gets injured. Royster then finishes the year on a high note, making the most out of his workhorse carries.2012: Hightower still recovering from ACL, Helu has whatever the hell he has in both of his achilles so Shanny gives the nod to Royster b/c of how he finished 2011 and surprise...he gets sidelined by a knee injury. Enter Alfred Morris.As for what that means for Helu, Rosyer, and Morris....Shanny just wants an RB to step up, stay healthy, and not make mistakes. He doesn't need a superstar (see Clinton Portis trade). Not sure who will step up but I wouldn't be surprised if Helu is in the "doghouse" despite his huge game in Week 4. He fumbled a toss play, and didn't run out of bounds in a two minute drill, which resulted in him losing his shoe when he got tackled in bounds. Helu stood there like a deer in headlights looking to the sideline, as if wanting to be spelled b/c he couldn't put his shoe back on (due to heavy padding on his foot for his Achilles injury). This shoe thing lasted for 2 or 3 plays, it was ridiculous.While you guys have them rated by skill set, I'm ranking them by the order which they'll receive their chance to shine:Morris/Royster/Helu
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

"Shanahanigans" was without a doubt one of the most knee-jerk reactions in fantasy football and the surprising thing is that it stuck. I say this b/c Shanahan's RBs have endured some of the most ridiculous set of circumstances the past 5-6 years yet everyone ignores it.2007: 1st year in a while that Shanahan hadn't produced a 1,000 yard rusher. I believe injuries or possibly a drug related type of suspension for Travis Henry? 2008: Shanahan's last year in Denver. Shanahan couldn't keep an RB healthy to save his life. The Travis Henry suspension might have come here. Either way, Shanny must have had 6 RBs who had between 30-70 carries and all of them fell to injury at one time or another.2 Year Hiatus...2010: Torain was getting workhorse type of carries on his way to 1,000 yards and...you guessed it, another injury derailed that.2011: Drafts Helu, Royster, and trades for Hightower. That to me comes across as a "#### this, I'm fixing this problem once and for all" type of offseason. Most talented stable he's had in years. Hightower gets workhorse carries early in the year and was touted by many as one of the biggest steals of the fantasy season and then....he gets injured. Later in the season Helu gets workhorse carries, starts putting up monster numbers and...you guessed it again, he gets injured. Royster then finishes the year on a high note, making the most out of his workhorse carries.2012: Hightower still recovering from ACL, Helu has whatever the hell he has in both of his achilles so Shanny gives the nod to Royster b/c of how he finished 2011 and surprise...he gets sidelined by a knee injury. Enter Alfred Morris.As for what that means for Helu, Rosyer, and Morris....Shanny just wants an RB to step up, stay healthy, and not make mistakes. He doesn't need a superstar (see Clinton Portis trade). Not sure who will step up but I wouldn't be surprised if Helu is in the "doghouse" despite his huge game in Week 4. He fumbled a toss play, and didn't run out of bounds in a two minute drill, which resulted in him losing his shoe when he got tackled in bounds. Helu stood there like a deer in headlights looking to the sideline, as if wanting to be spelled b/c he couldn't put his shoe back on (due to heavy padding on his foot for his Achilles injury). This shoe thing lasted for 2 or 3 plays, it was ridiculous.While you guys have them rated by skill set, I'm ranking them by the order which they'll receive their chance to shine:Morris/Royster/Helu
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:
Great points man.. it is making it harder and harder to not find some room for Alfred Morris ... given the eye ball test.. this guy looked the part of a 3 down back, with great burst and speed, he definitely passed the eye ball testto the point when i was watching the 3rd pre-season game, i was like "Who is this guy? he is bulldozing people"... reminded me of Michael Turner in his younger days

"Shanahanigans" was without a doubt one of the most knee-jerk reactions in fantasy football and the surprising thing is that it stuck. I say this b/c Shanahan's RBs have endured some of the most ridiculous set of circumstances the past 5-6 years yet everyone ignores it.

2007: 1st year in a while that Shanahan hadn't produced a 1,000 yard rusher. I believe injuries or possibly a drug related type of suspension for Travis Henry?

2008: Shanahan's last year in Denver. Shanahan couldn't keep an RB healthy to save his life. The Travis Henry suspension might have come here. Either way, Shanny must have had 6 RBs who had between 30-70 carries and all of them fell to injury at one time or another.

2 Year Hiatus...

2010: Torain was getting workhorse type of carries on his way to 1,000 yards and...you guessed it, another injury derailed that.

2011: Drafts Helu, Royster, and trades for Hightower. That to me comes across as a "#### this, I'm fixing this problem once and for all" type of offseason. Most talented stable he's had in years. Hightower gets workhorse carries early in the year and was touted by many as one of the biggest steals of the fantasy season and then....he gets injured. Later in the season Helu gets workhorse carries, starts putting up monster numbers and...you guessed it again, he gets injured. Royster then finishes the year on a high note, making the most out of his workhorse carries.

2012: Hightower still recovering from ACL, Helu has whatever the hell he has in both of his achilles so Shanny gives the nod to Royster b/c of how he finished 2011 and surprise...he gets sidelined by a knee injury. Enter Alfred Morris.

As for what that means for Helu, Rosyer, and Morris....

Shanny just wants an RB to step up, stay healthy, and not make mistakes. He doesn't need a superstar (see Clinton Portis trade). Not sure who will step up but I wouldn't be surprised if Helu is in the "doghouse" despite his huge game in Week 4. He fumbled a toss play then kicked the ball out of bounds (even though it was negated by a penalty, Shanahan still saw it). Consequently, Helu didn't see touches until late in the game. Once he finally got back into the game, Helu had some great runs, but still made a couple mistakes. Most notably he didn't run out of bounds late in a two minute drill, which resulted in him losing his shoe when he got tackled in bounds. Helu stood there like a deer in headlights looking to the sideline, as if wanting to be spelled b/c he couldn't put his shoe back on (due to heavy padding on his foot for his Achilles injury). This shoe thing lasted for 2 or 3 plays, it was ridiculous.

While you guys have them rated by skill set, I'm ranking them in the order which they'll receive their chance to shine:

Morris/Royster/Helu
And you completely ignore Royster's and Morris' mistakes too. So far, Royster has made the least mistakes out of the three.

Users who are viewing this thread