What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris (2 Viewers)

The Redskins released a revised depth chart on Monday, and Evan Royster was listed as the No. 1 tailback.Royster is No. 1, with Roy Helu at No. 2 and rookie Alfred Morris third. Another notable change was Josh Morgan being promoted into the starting lineup over Leonard Hankerson at "Z" receiver. Dezmon Briscoe is the third-string Z, with Santana Moss behind Pierre Garcon at "X." History has told us Mike Shanahan's depth charts should always be taken with a grain of salt. We won't know anything for sure until game day.
:popcorn:

Morris is exactly the type of lottery tix you can get in the last round of your draft and put a few shekels in your pocket later. Did just that in my draft and I'm all in.

'RamMan said:
Morris is exactly the type of lottery tix you can get in the last round of your draft and put a few shekels in your pocket later. Did just that in my draft and I'm all in.
That should work well for you....this week....maybe.Welcome to InShanity.

'Raider Nation said:
NOT SO FAST!!!

Grant Paulsen (Redskins beat reporter) says Morris will start week 1.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I believe that was a "who knows?" comment and not a statement of fact.link

#Redskins' depth chart at RB, according to the game notes just disseminated: Royster, Helu, Morris. So expect Morris to start at tailback.
Here's Paulsen's twitter feed.

'Raider Nation said:
NOT SO FAST!!!

He only said that because Morris was placed last on the depth chart. I'm guessing it was a joke considering the 1st RB on the depth chart means nothing to Shanahan.

'Raider Nation said:
NOT SO FAST!!!

I believe that was a "who knows?" comment and not a statement of fact.link

#Redskins' depth chart at RB, according to the game notes just disseminated: Royster, Helu, Morris. So expect Morris to start at tailback.
Here's Paulsen's twitter feed.
Hey fat... I didn't get that from Grant's twitter. I got it from Nate Zegura's feed. He had just gotten done interviewing him on Sirius.
Nathan Zegura ‏@NathanZegura

Alfred Morris will be the week 1 starter for the Skins according to @GrantPaulsen who followed that up with and Im not sure it MATTERS. LOL!
Either way, it's still one big cluster####!

I think we're due for some Shanahan magic this year. Whether it's Helu, Royster, Morris, Joseph Addai or Maurice Clarett, something big is going to happen. The Davis-Gary-Anderson-Droughns luster is fading, and we need to see 3-5 Shanahan backs going in every draft for another decade (and hopefully Kyle picks up the mantle form there).

I like A.Morris, and although he is sitting on waivers in my league, I can't pull the trigger. Latest news has him at 3rd in the depth chart and having a Shanahan RB on my roster is not too appealing. Even if RBBC didn't happen, I'd be pulling my hair every week trying to guess that week's Redskin starting RB.

I like A.Morris, and although he is sitting on waivers in my league, I can't pull the trigger. Latest news has him at 3rd in the depth chart and having a Shanahan RB on my roster is not too appealing. Even if RBBC didn't happen, I'd be pulling my hair every week trying to guess that week's Redskin starting RB.
I wouldn't let him sit on waivers unless you have a ridiculously shallow bench.

Agreed. Who the heck else are you going to have on your bench? Snap him up and let it play out for a couple weeks and see what happens.

And if nothing else, pick him up, and if he does go nuts, at least he is wasting away on your bench instead of possibly going against you and sticking it to you.

he's on my waivers, but cannot decide who to drop.. Quiz.. Hunter, Streater?

I also have Royster.

Do you think Alfred ranks above these guys???

I think we're due for some Shanahan magic this year. Whether it's Helu, Royster, Morris, Joseph Addai or Maurice Clarett, something big is going to happen. The Davis-Gary-Anderson-Droughns luster is fading, and we need to see 3-5 Shanahan backs going in every draft for another decade (and hopefully Kyle picks up the mantle form there).
Somewhere there's a man working a Circle-K register on the overnight shift, completely unaware that he's going to rush for 1500 yards this year.

he's on my waivers, but cannot decide who to drop.. Quiz.. Hunter, Streater?I also have Royster. Do you think Alfred ranks above these guys???
I'd drop Hunter for Morris without worrying about it too much.
I disagree in that it would be bad roster management to carry 2 Shanny RBs. The value play, even when he was in Denver, has been to draft the last one (pick him up of WW) and hope it hits. Floor is way too low on all of them to consider them before the 10th IMO, unless you have gone upside down and stacked your other positions.

Someone asked about Hunter. if its dynasty I'd keep Hunter. in re- draft it would be close. But I dropped Helu for Hunter in a keeper a couple weeks ago I'm so frustrated with Shanny.

Somewhere there's a man working a Circle-K register on the overnight shift, completely unaware that he's going to rush for 1500 yards this year.
:lmao:

Royster is on the wire in my 10 teamer (I put him there), though Morris is owned (I assume that switches tomorrow.My only option for dropping is literally Rashad Jennings or Gerhart. Somebody else can have Royster.

I grabbed Morris with my final pick of the draft.

He won't make my team, as I have Murray, Martin, BJGE and Ridley but if he puts in a couple of good performances I should be able to trade him for something.

I'm in a 12 team league with very thin benches. 50 RBs is about the max combined rostered at any one time. Teams can only hold a combined 9 RBs and WRs and that's for 2 RB and 3 WR starters. Even with these restrictions I'm tempted on Morris, but I just can't do it. I've got a pretty good set of RBs, and Shanahan's 2011 effort makes me feel like there's far more downside than upside to tying up a very precious roster spot with any Washington RB.

If I had the luxury of say 7 RBs that could be on my roster, I'd probably grab him, because then it would be mostly upside. Even then, I'd worry about whether I could actually trust Shanahan enough to start Morris...

In my main league, I have a mess at RB - basically a slew of RB2/RB3 types I'm going to have to mix and match all year. I took a last round flier on Morris, and I may drop someone else on my roster to get Royster off the WW. If I can pick correctly, I can actually get decent production out of the Washington ground game, and with Royster I'd have a 2 in 3 chance of having The Guy. It's the sort of high-risk/high-reward play I could see myself making a few times this year, such as when I'm going against some of the elite teams in my league.

he's on my waivers, but cannot decide who to drop.. Quiz.. Hunter, Streater?I also have Royster. Do you think Alfred ranks above these guys???
I think Hunter, if and when he gets the chance to start he could be a guy that carries you into the playoffs, not sure what Morris will do but it seems fuzzy. Do you not like Hunter?

I think Hunter, if and when he gets the chance to start he could be a guy that carries you into the playoffs, not sure what Morris will do but it seems fuzzy.
Agreed. I'd take Hunter over any of the WAS RBs.

'davearm said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
I think Hunter, if and when he gets the chance to start he could be a guy that carries you into the playoffs, not sure what Morris will do but it seems fuzzy.
Agreed. I'd take Hunter over any of the WAS RBs.
I don't dislike Hunter at all. First, he needs a Gore injury to get significant touches. Secondly, there are too many cooks in San Francisco's kitchen. Not unlike the situation in Washington, true, but Morris has a far better chance to EARN the starting gig unrelated to injury than does Hunter.

:lmao: Also, Post article hyping Morris this evening:

Alfred Morris just might be Mike Shanahan's latest discovery

:lmao: Also, Post article hyping Morris this evening:

Alfred Morris just might be Mike Shanahan's latest discovery
He's perfectly suited for the Redskins offense and Shanahan had his eye on him since coaching him at the Senior Bowl. The Redskins have three good backs right now and anyone of them could breakout but he's the only one completely healthy. I thought before the season that it was Helu's job to lose but I would be surprised if he becomes the 3rd down back with Morris carrying the load on 1st and 2nd downs.

Shan treats these young RBs like a rich teenager with old sportscars that his rich dad (Snyder) buys for him - run them into the ground, get another one. And repeat.

Would you buy a used sportscar off this guy? How about a RB?

How will he ever find another Alfred Morris? Oh he will.

Shan treats these young RBs like a rich teenager with old sportscars that his rich dad (Snyder) buys for him - run them into the ground, get another one. And repeat. Would you buy a used sportscar off this guy? How about a RB?How will he ever find another Alfred Morris? Oh he will.
Runs them into the ground? Really?

'Short Corner said:
'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Shan treats these young RBs like a rich teenager with old sportscars that his rich dad (Snyder) buys for him - run them into the ground, get another one. And repeat. Would you buy a used sportscar off this guy? How about a RB?How will he ever find another Alfred Morris? Oh he will.
Last 3 years coaching: 12th, 30th and 25th in yards rushing.2011:Hightower - INJ (will he return in 2012 Maybe not? If not does he ever play again?Helu - INJTorain - INJ (will he ever play again? Yes Portis was older but see Pittman, Young and Bell)2010:Portis - INJ (last season in league)Torain - INJ 2008 (DEN):Pittman - INJ (last season in league)Young - INJ (last season)Bell - INJ (last season)Am I wrong on this? Recollecting incorrectly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last 3 years coaching: 12th, 30th and 25th in yards rushing.2011:Hightower - INJ (will he return in 2012 Maybe not? If not does he ever play again?Helu - INJTorain - INJ (will he ever play again? Yes Portis was older but see Pittman, Young and Bell)2010:Portis - INJ (last season in league)Torain - INJ 2008 (DEN):Pittman - INJ (last season in league)Young - INJ (last season)Bell - INJ (last season)Am I wrong on this? Recollecting incorrectly?
You're citing the wrong thing if you're trying to prove he ran running backs into the ground. Cite the number of carries each of those RB's had the years you cite.

You're citing the wrong thing if you're trying to prove he ran running backs into the ground. Cite the number of carries each of those RB's had the years you cite.
It's more like he would have run those RBs into the ground much like ever year prior to 2007 if they hadn't gotten injured.

RB's get injured a lot. He also doesn't use high picks on RB's so when a guy gets hurt he just moves on.

However, it's not that Shanahan changes RB's for no reason. Look at last year:

Hightower starts through week 7 until he got injured.

Torain was given a shot and completely sucked.

Helu starts from week 9 to 14 until he got injured.

Royster starts the rest of the games.

RB's get injured a lot. He also doesn't use high picks on RB's so when a guy gets hurt he just moves on. However, it's not that Shanahan changes RB's for no reason. Look at last year:Hightower starts through week 7 until he got injured.Torain was given a shot and completely sucked.Helu starts from week 9 to 14 until he got injured.Royster starts the rest of the games.
This exact trend has been going on from 2007-2011.

RB's get injured a lot. He also doesn't use high picks on RB's so when a guy gets hurt he just moves on. However, it's not that Shanahan changes RB's for no reason. Look at last year:Hightower starts through week 7 until he got injured.Torain was given a shot and completely sucked.Helu starts from week 9 to 14 until he got injured.Royster starts the rest of the games.
Didn't Hightower start and get yanked in Week 4 against the Rams after running one series? IIRC, Shanahan then announced he'd go with the "hot hand," which everyone assumed meant Torain. Skins then had a bye week, played the Eagles, and Torain carried the load as the starter. Hightower started the following week against the Panthers, ran well, and tore his ACL. Hightower was on one of my teams last year and this situation had been going on since Week One, really, with Shanahan expressing disapproval over Hightower's running ability.Edited for grammar.

'Short Corner said:
'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Run into the ground? Really?

11/27 @SEA W 23-17 Yes 23 108 4.7 28 1 7 54 7.7 14 0 0

12/04 NYJ L 19-34 Yes 23 100 4.3 22 1 4 42 10.5 26 0 1

12/11 NE L 27-34 Yes 27 126 4.7 26 0 2 6 3.0 8 0 0

Sorry about the formatting, but helu averaged 140 all purpose yards/ game with 3 consecutive 100 yards games. He is the horse to own in the skins stable. Watch the games are its Helu who passes the eye test( yes i own him)

Didn't Hightower start and get yanked in Week 4 against the Rams after running one series? IIRC, Shanahan then announced he'd go with the "hot hand," which everyone assumed meant Torain. Skins then had a bye week, played the Eagles, and Torain carried the load as the starter. Hightower started the following week against the Panthers, ran well, and tore his ACL. Hightower was on one of my teams last year and this situation had been going on since Week One, really, with Shanahan expressing disapproval over Hightower's running ability.Edited for grammar.
I took a look back and Hightower had a shoulder injury that limited him week 4 and allowed Torain to run wild (19/135/1). Torain got the start week 6 after the bye but fell on his face (10/22) and Hightower started week 7. I think Shanahan is looking for a back he can start every week, but injuries seem to plague his RB's. In 2010 Torain played well taking over for an injured Portis, but he hurt his hamstring week 8. When he was healthy Torain got another chance week 14 against the Bucs and started the rest of the season.

11/27 @SEA W 23-17 Yes 23 108 4.7 28 1 7 54 7.7 14 0 0 12/04 NYJ L 19-34 Yes 23 100 4.3 22 1 4 42 10.5 26 0 1 12/11 NE L 27-34 Yes 27 126 4.7 26 0 2 6 3.0 8 0 0Sorry about the formatting, but helu averaged 140 all purpose yards/ game with 3 consecutive 100 yards games. He is the horse to own in the skins stable. Watch the games are its Helu who passes the eye test( yes i own him)
Yes, Helu passes the eye test but so did Royster, who had 100+ yard games in both his starts. Helu is my favorite too since he is easily the best receiving back on the team, but any of these guys can run away with the job if they stay healthy and play well. Morris is third on the depth chart but Helu and Royster have dealt with injuries already and I expect him to get a shot at some point.

Morris will get to carry the load a couple of times this year and he'll likely look good doing it. At that point, you have to determine if he's the next superstar RB or the next Ryan Torrain.

Simple as that.

I took a look back and Hightower had a shoulder injury that limited him week 4 and allowed Torain to run wild (19/135/1). Torain got the start week 6 after the bye but fell on his face (10/22) and Hightower started week 7. I think Shanahan is looking for a back he can start every week, but injuries seem to plague his RB's. In 2010 Torain played well taking over for an injured Portis, but he hurt his hamstring week 8. When he was healthy Torain got another chance week 14 against the Bucs and started the rest of the season.
I'd forgotten about the shoulder. I remember now that many of the beat writers and media folk were chalking it up to simply an excuse Shanny and Hightower (I think Hightower first disclosed it and Shanahan was upset with that) gave for his benching, because Shanahan had sent all the signals and even looked disgusted during games when Hightower would get stuffed. But we'll never know that, either. Regardless, I take your point. He probably would optimally love to have a dependable every-down back, and the Shanahanigans thing may be a bit overblown, though not announcing a starter (rightly or wrongly) plays into people's expectations of him as a RB nightmare.

I think Shanahan is looking for a back he can start every week, but injuries seem to plague his RB's. In 2010 Torain played well taking over for an injured Portis, but he hurt his hamstring week 8. When he was healthy Torain got another chance week 14 against the Bucs and started the rest of the season.
FWIW, as a close follower of the 'Skins, this is my impression of Shanahan, as well. At least how he currently looks at/handles his RB situation.The "Shanahanigan" stereotype also gets fed because he's very tight-lipped regarding injuries (very Belichick like, in fact). So if one RB is just a little dinged up during the week, there's a good chance we won't know about it until another RB is starting on Sunday. Hightower's release was a surprise to fans because nobody knew that his knees really bothered him after the Colts preseason game and that he was coming off the practice field with a noticeable limp towards the end of camp. That info didn't come out until after his release.

why? they are both veritable lottery tickets. Only difference being that if you 'win' the DC version you get a 'free ticket' to play in another lottery next week.Plus I think hunter is more talented than all the WAS backs, Maybe a push w/Helu

Users who are viewing this thread