What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris (1 Viewer)

Olandis Gary reincarnated?
Not a bad comparison. Here in DC there has been a lot of talk about Morris the last few weeks. That he is a Shanahan type of RB, one cut down hill runner. He's good at maintaining a low pad level and does sort of remind you of Gary or a Mike Bell or other RBs who have enjoyed short term success in Shanahan's offenses.FWIW I like him better than Hightower coming back from his knee injury. But we'll see. Good chance Morris either makes the team outright or is stashed on the practice squad and plays later in the season.

He's starting?
To best of my knowledge Shanahan has not named a starter as of yet but did have this quote.
“We kind of know what Royster can do, so a guy like Morris will get more reps in the second game than a guy like Royster, because we want to evaluate some of these guys and see what they can do in live situations,” Shanahan said on Wednesday.
The Rat games begin already.

He's starting?
Redskins | Alfred Morris may get start Fri Aug 17, 01:34 PM Washington Redskins RB Alfred Morris may get the start in the preseason game Saturday, Aug. 18, because the team wants to see what he can do against starters. Morris wants to improve on his yards per carry average and prove he can pass block.

Alfred Morris is a tank, I could see him playing FB if it doesn't work out for him at RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never understand why people haven't figured out how to capitalize on Shanny's view of RBs yet. It's a simple system:

1. Buy the cheapest Washington RB you can find (or the 2 cheapest - depends on your confidence in the system)

2. The minute that RB gets named the starter and has 1 solid performance, trade him

3. Repeat

I'll never understand why people haven't figured out how to capitalize on Shanny's view of RBs yet. It's a simple system:1. Buy the cheapest Washington RB you can find (or the 2 cheapest - depends on your confidence in the system)2. The minute that RB gets named the starter and has 1 solid performance, trade him3. Repeat
Did this with Torain last year..... Wash - Rinse - Repeat.

I'll never understand why people haven't figured out how to capitalize on Shanny's view of RBs yet. It's a simple system:1. Buy the cheapest Washington RB you can find (or the 2 cheapest - depends on your confidence in the system)2. The minute that RB gets named the starter and has 1 solid performance, trade him3. Repeat
Exactly what I said above. It's what I do with Shanny RBs!

:hifive: Didn't see your earlier post.

:hifive: Didn't see your earlier post.
I just don't want the headache (as you mentioned). So I'll pick a guy like him up knowing I don't need to start him (have Rice & Lynch) So I'll trade him after he has a big game and say "he's a starting RB" and his value is increased.

I hear people say this all the time, but it takes two to trade. Who is willing to buy Shannahan RB's at this point. How long has it been since Shanny has let a Rb start more than 5 games in a row.

I hear people say this all the time, but it takes two to trade. Who is willing to buy Shannahan RB's at this point. How long has it been since Shanny has let a Rb start more than 5 games in a row.
If someone is desperate enough they will buy. Someone in your league will be hurting bad at RB and he'll listen. He'll give you something worth trading for.

If someone is desperate enough they will buy. Someone in your league will be hurting bad at RB and he'll listen. He'll give you something worth trading for.
Yeah, the real key is you can't get greedy. Be happy flipping a guy for a solid profit, rather than looking to win the freaking lottery. That's exactly what happened with Ryan Torain in my league last year...guy who owned him waited way too long to trade him, b/c he wanted too steep of a price....gotta flip quickly

I need to play in some of your leagues.

I would never trade for one of those RB's, although I have picked up a few from waivers and started them.

Gives your lineup some nice pop once in a while

I need to play in some of your leagues.I would never trade for one of those RB's, although I have picked up a few from waivers and started them. Gives your lineup some nice pop once in a while
I don't think it's a bad league that requires to make a trade like this (if that's what you were implying). Everyone has players rated differently no matter what league your in. Also, with injuries and byes, someone will make that trade. You might not even get a new starter for your team but someone who could contribute if needed without the headache.

Yeah, the real key is you can't get greedy. Be happy flipping a guy for a solid profit, rather than looking to win the freaking lottery. That's exactly what happened with Ryan Torain in my league last year...guy who owned him waited way too long to trade him, b/c he wanted too steep of a price....gotta flip quickly
:goodposting: Thanks that is helpfull. I have always tried to trade my player for what I would consider full value if he started the rest of the season. I know Shanny would never allow that to happen, but I would have to see the guy I traded getting 20 carries a game against for a slight upgrade at WR2.

Back to Morris...

per Redskin's writer John Keim:

"Morris got off to a strong start with a 21-yard run on the opening play of the game. He really does well cutting in the backfield and avoiding traffic. Some of his best runs gain little yards because of the (lack of) blocking. But on the first play, Williams got to the linebacker, Maurice Hurt sealed the end, Chris Cooley threw a block. And Morris did the rest, gaining 20 yards after first contact. Do I need to say more about the lean? Didn’t think so. But I love how he makes himself smaller upon contact. Had one defender bounce off his shoulder pads on that first run. Morris only gained 13 more yards on his next nine runs, but the line did not help him out. I’ll be curious to see how many times someone was two yards deep on the backfield when he got the ball. Morris is still learning to pick up blitzes, however. He admitted after the game that he missed one on the sack-fumble. That was clear; he carried out his fake, but needed to anticipate faster and pick up the outside blitz. It’s a play that Clinton Portis used to routinely make. Morris needs to show that he can do this consistently and that hasn’t yet been the case. It is a major point of emphasis with these coaches — and especially so with a rookie quarterback."

He won't see the field if he can't pick up the blitz, but he's definitely a one cut & smash runner. With the o-line playing as badly as they did, he was lucky to put up the stats he did.

'Steel Dillo said:
Back to Morris...

per Redskin's writer John Keim:

"Morris got off to a strong start with a 21-yard run on the opening play of the game. He really does well cutting in the backfield and avoiding traffic. Some of his best runs gain little yards because of the (lack of) blocking. But on the first play, Williams got to the linebacker, Maurice Hurt sealed the end, Chris Cooley threw a block. And Morris did the rest, gaining 20 yards after first contact. Do I need to say more about the lean? Didn’t think so. But I love how he makes himself smaller upon contact. Had one defender bounce off his shoulder pads on that first run. Morris only gained 13 more yards on his next nine runs, but the line did not help him out. I’ll be curious to see how many times someone was two yards deep on the backfield when he got the ball. Morris is still learning to pick up blitzes, however. He admitted after the game that he missed one on the sack-fumble. That was clear; he carried out his fake, but needed to anticipate faster and pick up the outside blitz. It’s a play that Clinton Portis used to routinely make. Morris needs to show that he can do this consistently and that hasn’t yet been the case. It is a major point of emphasis with these coaches — and especially so with a rookie quarterback."

He won't see the field if he can't pick up the blitz, but he's definitely a one cut & smash runner. With the o-line playing as badly as they did, he was lucky to put up the stats he did.
This tempers my expectations.

Just to follow up on trading the flavor of the week. I have offered Royster for late 2nd and early 3rd round rookie picks and no one is even thinking about it. Some of those teams are terrible at RB too. I do think that it would work much better in season once a guy gets hot for a week or 2, or realize they didn't draft the next ADP in the late 2nd round and now they need RB help.

'Steel Dillo said:
Back to Morris...per Redskin's writer John Keim:"Morris got off to a strong start with a 21-yard run on the opening play of the game. He really does well cutting in the backfield and avoiding traffic. Some of his best runs gain little yards because of the (lack of) blocking. But on the first play, Williams got to the linebacker, Maurice Hurt sealed the end, Chris Cooley threw a block. And Morris did the rest, gaining 20 yards after first contact. Do I need to say more about the lean? Didn’t think so. But I love how he makes himself smaller upon contact. Had one defender bounce off his shoulder pads on that first run. Morris only gained 13 more yards on his next nine runs, but the line did not help him out. I’ll be curious to see how many times someone was two yards deep on the backfield when he got the ball. Morris is still learning to pick up blitzes, however. He admitted after the game that he missed one on the sack-fumble. That was clear; he carried out his fake, but needed to anticipate faster and pick up the outside blitz. It’s a play that Clinton Portis used to routinely make. Morris needs to show that he can do this consistently and that hasn’t yet been the case. It is a major point of emphasis with these coaches — and especially so with a rookie quarterback."He won't see the field if he can't pick up the blitz, but he's definitely a one cut & smash runner. With the o-line playing as badly as they did, he was lucky to put up the stats he did.
Yeah, the play where RG3 fumbled was really the fault of Morris. He massively failed on blitz pickup....disappointing, because otherwise he played quite well.

Alfred Morriss looked so limited in ability I would be very surprised if he is the #1 RB come opening day. He didn't appear to have any ability to get to the edge and not a good blocker.

But we are talking Shanny here so anything is possible.

Regardless is an avoid situation.

Buy Royster. You'll thank me later.
He is one more fumble away from not seeing the field.If Hightower is healthy, he starts, followed by Helu, Royster, and a practice squad Morris. Now Helu is beat up also,and with this Oline this year I dont see any of these guys performing well. But Morris is Shanny's kind of back, he makes 1 cut and goes. He is Olandis Gary 2.0

Buy Royster. You'll thank me later.
He is one more fumble away from not seeing the field.If Hightower is healthy, he starts, followed by Helu, Royster, and a practice squad Morris. Now Helu is beat up also,and with this Oline this year I dont see any of these guys performing well. But Morris is Shanny's kind of back, he makes 1 cut and goes. He is Olandis Gary 2.0
Based on what? Royster fumbled a handoff exchange but did not fumble in 65 touches last year (I know small sample) but has no ball security issues that I'm aware of.And I don't think anyone can speak with much certainty right now about the pecking order. There is a lot of talk of Hightower being the starter when healthy. I'll believe it when I see it. He just started practicing and despite a really good pre-season last year he really was not that effective in the reg. season before his injury.

As a fan, I like Helu the most of all the RBs because of his burst and speed but he's dealing with an Achilles which tend to linger and was behind Royster on the depth chart in camp before that. I like the way Morris runs but he is not assured a roster spot at this point.

All that to say, the Redskins backfield is as clear as mud and I don't know how you list the pecking order so confidently or say that Royster is one fumble away from not seeing the field.

I'm not one of those who says to avoid the situation all together as I think someone with FF value can emerge but it's more likely a matter of timing and knowing when to scoop the right guy, likely off the ww. I did draft Royster late in my draft yesterday, one pick after Hightower and several rounds after Helu. But again, it's a fluid situation.

Just to follow up on trading the flavor of the week. I have offered Royster for late 2nd and early 3rd round rookie picks and no one is even thinking about it.
I moved Royster for DeSean Jackson in a 14 team, RB heavy, non-PPR league.On a side note, I think you were selling low and will be happy you didn't move him for a late 2nd, or early 3rd round pick. Whoever the starter in Wash is will put up solid points. If that is Royster, you will get 1st round rookie value by the 4th week of the season.

Morris: Shanny played him extensively in the run game this weekend to see what the rookie could do. Go back and look at the tape or the play breakdown. Morris was pretty much NEVER on the field when they ran a pass play. I'm fairly certain this was by design to protect RGIII since Morris is extremely suspect in blitz pickup.

Royster: was in on almost all of the RGIII passing plays and had a couple nice draw plays on third down. This is your week one starter. How long he lasts there, who knows?

Helu: no sign of him. Achilles soreness can't be good, but he'll be lurking once he gets healthy to steal Royster's thunder.

Hightower: I'm not sold. Coming off an acl tear, my guess is he's pretty much worthless until the second half of the season at best, and even then if Royster has failed (as opposed to getting injured) then THT will fail too because they are very similar except that Royster is younger and healthier.

Shanahanigans!!! Take Royster and leave the others for now unless you have a super deep bench.

I just want to point out that the Colts rush defense and now the 2nd team...it isn't exactly a juggernaut this is happening against.

Would it shock folks if Morris is not starting Week 1?

:popcorn:

i hate having a redskins RB but it's always nice to see a late round rookie do well and start games - regardless of the situation or opponent.

Coach Mike Shanahan confirmed following Saturday night's preseason game that Alfred Morris is squarely in the hunt for the Redskins' Week 1 starting running back job.

Morris is averaging five yards per preseason carry. But most importantly, he's stayed upright and healthy while Roy Helu (Achilles' tendons) and Evan Royster (knees) have succumbed to injury. Tim Hightower continues to recover from last year's ACL tear. "Said this from day one, we're gonna play the best players," said Shanahan. "(Morris) may be the lonely soldier. He did play well."

-Rotoworld.

Shanahanigans at its finest.

THe headache with Washington RBs is, even if he starts week 1, Do we know if he will be starting week 5? Such a merry-go-round. But for anyone who can snag the right guy(s) and get good results from them, My hat is off to them. SO hard to have the stomach to track and play that RB game with success.

I am on the clock in the late portion of a rookie draft trying to talk myself out of picking him.

He's a mediocre talent and he'll be on the pine in the near future.

Or at least that's what it seems like.

I am on the clock in the late portion of a rookie draft trying to talk myself out of picking him.He's a mediocre talent and he'll be on the pine in the near future. Or at least that's what it seems like.
Have you watched his college film. Alf is a beast. Who else at the end of a draft gives you the possibility of being a starting RB?

Users who are viewing this thread