What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Sniper - Clint Eastwood's latest movie (1 Viewer)

i have a friend who says this movie is nothing more than military industrial complex propoganda put forth by the new Republican government. confirm/deny?
Not sure how you get that out of the movie. He went into it a patriotic good guy and came out of it a broken man from a war that solved nothing.

cstu said:
Scoresman said:
i have a friend who says this movie is nothing more than military industrial complex propoganda put forth by the new Republican government. confirm/deny?
Not sure how you get that out of the movie. He went into it a patriotic good guy and came out of it a broken man from a war that solved nothing.
.....Murdered by another broken war vet.

Jack White said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Jack White said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Jack White said:
Scoresman said:
i have a friend who says this movie is nothing more than military industrial complex propaganda put forth by the new Republican government.
If you and Justin Bieber were both drowning, I'd go back to the house to grab a beer and let nature decide.
You're really fascinated by death and destruction, aren't you?
Only in yours at this point, you're categorically horrific.
I thought this was the Free For All Forum. Instead, it seems to be a place where people are supposed to toe the line of political correctness.
People seem to be able to say whatever they want in here as long as it's not overly vulgar.If you are being an ### though you can expect to get called out.

Jack White said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Jack White said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Jack White said:
Scoresman said:
i have a friend who says this movie is nothing more than military industrial complex propaganda put forth by the new Republican government.
If you and Justin Bieber were both drowning, I'd go back to the house to grab a beer and let nature decide.
I thought this was the Free For All Forum. Instead, it seems to be a place where people are supposed to toe the line of political correctness.
People seem to be able to say whatever they want in here as long as it's not overly vulgar.If you are being an ### though you can expect to get called out.
If having a sincere opinion about something -- and stating it here without reservation -- is being an ####, I'll accept that.

Saw this today...would like to say I enjoyed it, but it was all too real and very sad. Still really well done as is pretty much everything from Clint. Cooper is really good. Emotionally draining movie but a must-see IMO.

cstu said:
Scoresman said:
.....Murdered by another broken war vet.
* spoilers please* (jk)

Jack White said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Jack White said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Jack White said:
Scoresman said:
If having a sincere opinion about something -- and stating it here without reservation -- is being an ####, I'll accept that.
No one cares about your opinion though, so that's where we might have a problem.

Wife does not want to see it. She says it will make her too sad. I'll probably wait until it comes on HBO or is available to rent through FIOS.

Enjoyed this. Not the GREAT movie some in the media want it to be.

Cooper was exceptional. I agree with others that more early character development would have been nice.

Any critics of Kyle's actions have absolutley no foot to stand on unless they were in those situations and made the decisions Kyle had to make.
Kyle decided to volunteer to travel to foreign lands to murder people. So, in a sense, you're right; most of us would not make that decision.
####bags like you and a couple of the other so called "war haters" around here are too stupid to know there's a difference between the two.

I watched half of this before turning it off. Way overhyped. Wasn't good enough to hold my interest. If it wouldn't have been based on a true story people would not be interested in it.

I watched half of this before turning it off. Way overhyped. Wasn't good enough to hold my interest. If it wouldn't have been based on a true story people would not be interested in it.
Every awards program disagrees.
Could say the same with such garbage movies as Titanic, Lord of the Rings, Dances with Wolves, etc.

This movie was nowhere near as good as recent runs in its own niche. It was decent. American Sniper is no Lone Survivor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could say the same with such garbage movies as Titanic, Lord of the Rings, Dances with Wolves, etc.

This movie was nowhere near as good as recent runs in its own niche. It was decent. American Sniper is no Lone Survivor.
I didn't think Lone Survivor was anywhere near as good. I liked both, though. Zero Dark Thirty was by far my favorite.

I didn't think Lone Survivor was anywhere near as good. I liked both, though. Zero Dark Thirty was by far my favorite.
Another I would put above Sniper. :yes:

Lone Survivor was better? Interesting.

I think all the movies you listed were theatrical masterpieces, for cinematography, graphics, special effects and the like. Not a fan of Titanic, but it was good cinema. The other two I liked, and I don't even own pewter dragons or eat buffalo burgers.

Wife does not want to see it. She says it will make her too sad. I'll probably wait until it comes on HBO or is available to rent through FIOS.
Man up dude. You want to see the movie then see the movie. Do you carry her purse around for her ??

Jeez
Yeah that's pretty bad. My wife had no desire to see it. I went with some buddies. No problem. I have a close friend that gets ##### slapped around by his wife, though. It's sad

Man up dude. You want to see the movie then see the movie.Do you carry her purse around for her ??

Jeez
Yeah that's pretty bad. My wife had no desire to see it. I went with some buddies. No problem
You guys give each other handies?
No, but we share popcorn and don't leave a buffer seat.

This was just ok. Not getting all the freaking out over it. I will admit I thought Cooper did an excellent job. He's a better actor than I thought.

Man up dude. You want to see the movie then see the movie.Do you carry her purse around for her ??

Jeez
Yeah that's pretty bad. My wife had no desire to see it. I went with some buddies. No problem
You guys give each other handies?
No, but we share popcorn and don't leave a buffer seat.
Admit it. You posted in the Bears thread during the movie. Didn't you?

As usual its a tough crowd in a FBG movie thread...sometimes i just shake my head and wonder what it takes to entertain some of you

Glad Eastwood did not get too melodramatic with this one. Often a problem I have with his films. This one is scaled back.

Had low expectations when American Sniper got no Golden Globes love.

Can say now I have no problem with the Best picture and Cooper oscar nom's.

Solid pic. Thought all the soldier scenes were well done. The scenes at home with the wife were a bit underdeveloped. Hard not getting a little misty there at the end. The crowd in the theater I was in really responded to the film as well.

8/10

How did you turn it off?
Cracked Apple. Almost all December releases have director copies that are sent out to try and create an early Oscar buzz. This one is only in standard definition though.

I don't think this movie will win an Oscar. It was average (poor if it wasn't based on a true story).

I saw this movie a few weeks ago. Best movie of the year IMO. Bradley Cooper really needs to be considered for lead actor awards after this performance. Must see.
Well of course it is, we're only 12 days into the year. :mellow:
I saw it at a special screener in December....does that count for 2014?
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/09/09f6b2968204425ddb32225098b827b5ce62808187642bf844214322bd5a3098.jpgETA: really want to see it, wife does not. <_<
It is OK for a grown man to see this movie by himself.

Unlike Disney's Frozen. That would be creepy.
I'm well aware it's "OK" for me to see it on my own, as is it's also okay for her to see the idiot comedies she likes on her own. Fact is however, we don't go out to many movies (we both have jobs requiring us to be on call often) and when we do we like to go together and we like to see something we both can agree on. So it remains to be seen if we'll go see it. I'd say if the buzz is good she'll be talked into seeing it.

I thought it was very good, but not as great as I expected. I don't think this is a spoiler...but skip over to avoid general descriptions.

I found the most intense scenes were when he was a sniper, and although it fit the storyline, they had him as a solider clearing houses most of the time. The previews made me think it was going to be the opposite.

In contrast to Lone Survivor, this movie didn't focus as much on SEALs. I didn't even know who were seals and who were marines. It was more about Chris being a "legend". It was also about PTSD as much as anything else, which I wasn't expecting.

Still, very entertaining.

Seen it last night, good flick. Liked the movie more than the book. Cooper was good but I don't get all the hype for best actor. He's been better in other flicks. :shrug:

Jeez
Yeah that's pretty bad. My wife had no desire to see it. I went with some buddies. No problem. I have a close friend that gets ##### slapped around by his wife, though. It's sad
I'm sure it just MUST be seen on the big screen huh? Versus sitting in my recliner with a beer and not paying a fortune?

Saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty good. But will agree with those that say it's a little overhyped. I did like how it portrayed how de-humanizing war can be. I know war movies usually go for that but thought it was done better than most even though the character development seemed a little rushed.

Had to fast forward through the boring (to me) battle scenes, especially the one at the end.

Foosball God said:

Jeez
I'm sure it just MUST be seen on the big screen huh? Versus sitting in my recliner with a beer and not paying a fortune?
It's cool, bro. I still love you.

40mill/opening weekend would have been a huge success.

It did 90mill.

Cooper meet superstardom.

Foosball God said:

Jeez
IMAX

Users who are viewing this thread