What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avocado poll (4 Viewers)

Do you like avacados?

• Total voters
Mrs Ref and I just planted an Avocado tree in my back yard last weekend. Next weekend we are buying a lime tree to put next to it. We are calling that corner of the yard Guacamole Gultch. That said we already have a bunch of mint growing in the other corner so we had some debate on planting the lime tree in that corner and calling it Mojito Corner.Yes I'm old.
You may be old, but you sound ####### awesome.
:thumbup:

I have recently discovered that I like avocados.

I have always thought I did not like them because of guacamole. But it turns out that it is the texture and cilantro that make guacamole disgusting. Avocados are, in fact, delicious.

Probably eat one for lunch once or twice a week.

As others have said... add a little sea salt and its wonderful tasty goodness.

Avocado = Awesome

Cilantro = Nasty crap
Youre batting .500 here
To be fair, a certain % of the population tastes cilantro differently than the rest of us. A strong metallic nasty taste IIRC. It's something biochemical, so I'll give people a pass on this one.ETA: Breakfast of champions: Warm a couple tortillas, scramble some eggs, half an avocado and some tapatio. :moneybag:
I believe it is a "soapy" taste.
That's the way I taste cilantro.. :yucky:
It's funny, I love cilantro and I don't think it tastes soapy at all, but if I were to use two words to describe the taste, it would be "fresh" and "clean." :unsure:

Avocado = Awesome

Cilantro = Nasty crap
Youre batting .500 here
To be fair, a certain % of the population tastes cilantro differently than the rest of us. A strong metallic nasty taste IIRC. It's something biochemical, so I'll give people a pass on this one.ETA: Breakfast of champions: Warm a couple tortillas, scramble some eggs, half an avocado and some tapatio. :moneybag:
It's funny, I love cilantro and I don't think it tastes soapy at all, but if I were to use two words to describe the taste, it would be "fresh" and "clean." :unsure:
Is there a market for cilantro scented FLAVORED Soap!?!

I hate chain restaurants. But of you do have to make it into a chili's have the California club.

Wheat Texas toast

Bacon

Lettuce

Mayo

Turkey

Ham

And two slabs of Thick avacado (makes the sanwitch)

Honestly one of the best sanwitches going.

Avocado = Awesome

Cilantro = Nasty crap
Youre batting .500 here
It's definitely a genetic thing, I can't imagine ever getting used to the way cilantro tastes. Fresh, dried, cooked, it's all the same. And I'm not a picky eater, other than cilantro the only things I don't care to eat again would be sea urchin and frog legs. Urchin tastes like licking the side of a fish and frog legs has an after taste like how a swamp smells.I've been told by those that like cilantro that it has a citrus flavor. Maybe celery leaves with triple sec would be a substitute.

From Wiki:

Cilantro

The leaves have a different taste from the seeds, with citrus overtones. Many experience an unpleasant "soapy" taste or a rank smell and avoid the leaves.[8] The flavours have also been compared to those of the stink bug, and similar chemical groups are involved (aldehydes). There appears to be a genetic component to the detection of "soapy" versus "herby" tastes.[9]

You all can have your stink bug salsa. I won't touch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to hate cilantro too. But a few years ago I went to a Peruvian restaurant with bottles of aji cilantro sauce and I was blown away by the flavor. I still don't eat much cilantro but I do enjoy them on bahn mi and mexican food.

Avocado availability is one of the primary reasons I live in California

EDIT: And before someone says "you can get them anywhere"... there's a difference between being able to buy them at the store and people giving you a bag of 10 because they have too many, leaving them in the work lunchroom for people to take, etc. They are everywhere.

It's definitely a genetic thing, I can't imagine ever getting used to the way cilantro tastes. Fresh, dried, cooked, it's all the same. And I'm not a picky eater, other than cilantro the only things I don't care to eat again would be sea urchin and frog legs. Urchin tastes like licking the side of a fish and frog legs has an after taste like how a swamp smells.I've been told by those that like cilantro that it has a citrus flavor. Maybe celery leaves with triple sec would be a substitute.From Wiki:CilantroThe leaves have a different taste from the seeds, with citrus overtones. Many experience an unpleasant "soapy" taste or a rank smell and avoid the leaves.[8] The flavours have also been compared to those of the stink bug, and similar chemical groups are involved (aldehydes). There appears to be a genetic component to the detection of "soapy" versus "herby" tastes.[9]You all can have your stink bug salsa. I won't touch it.
I was traumatized for close to 48 hours after a Mexican restaurant managed to slip some cilantro by me. I had checked the ingredients on the menu, I even carefully inspected the first bite to double check but half way through my giant chimichanga I found that the chef had placed a couple of leaves flat on top of the tortilla and then of course covered the whole thing with sauce and melted cheese. I can't stand the taste when even the smallest minced pieces are mixed into a dish and here I was suddenly consuming what was at minimum half a leaf of the stuff. My sinuses were on fire and that feeling stayed with me for two days.If I ever meet cilantro in a back alley....I'll kill it.

I love avocados. I just wish they werent so high in calories (about 240 calories in a whole small avocado). Yes I know they are good fats but still too much is a no-no

Coconut >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avacodo

Coconut >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avacodo
Start a coconut thread if you wanna talk about coconuts. Its all about avocados in here.

Start a coconut thread if you wanna talk about coconuts. Its all about avocados in here.
:goodposting: and cilantro

I love avocados. I just wish they werent so high in calories (about 240 calories in a whole small avocado). Yes I know they are good fats but still too much is a no-no
Meh so long as you eat a healthy diet (no grains, low sugar) then eat them by the bunch and coconut oil by the tablespoonful and enjoy a healthy, happy life.

Meh so long as you eat a healthy diet (no grains, low sugar) then eat them by the bunch and coconut oil by the tablespoonful and enjoy a healthy, happy life.
I thought there hasn't been confirmation either way regarding coconut oil and palm oil. I've read peer reviewed studies for and against it. What concerns me is those that say palm oil is healthy are done by the Palm Oil Coalition. Coconut oil has about 81% saturated fat and palm oil has 41%.I love coconut, though I did have one where the liquid inside was oily and tasted like gasoline. Really odd, got it at the grocery store.

I thought there hasn't been confirmation either way regarding coconut oil and palm oil. I've read peer reviewed studies for and against it. What concerns me is those that say palm oil is healthy are done by the Palm Oil Coalition. Coconut oil has about 81% saturated fat and palm oil has 41%.I love coconut, though I did have one where the liquid inside was oily and tasted like gasoline. Really odd, got it at the grocery store.
Confirmation of what? The big knock on them is their high saturated fat content. I am one of those who believe the science shows that so long as your diet is, for the most part, grain and sugar free saturated fats are good for you.As far as some of the additional beneficial claims for these oils I can tell you is that palm oil has clearly demonstrated high levels of Coenzyme Q and vitamin E content (both good).For coconut oil there have been many studies that demonstrate the medium chain triglycerides found abundantly in coconut oil improve metabolism. There is also a lot of evidence that demonstrates anti viral and and bacterial effect.

Really the best way to have a coconut is to be in the tropics, get a green one fresh off a tree, cool it down a bunch, then slice the top off and drink with a straw. Afterwards, cut the thing in half and eat the white "meat" inside. So awesome.I love coconuts like this, but don't care much for the bottled coconut water, and that crap that gets sprinkled on cupcakes and stuff is just nasty.

I haven't tried coconut oil, but may have to.

Avocado = Awesome

Cilantro = Nasty crap
Youre batting .500 here
That sucks. Their taste buds ate robbing them of deliciousness. To me, cilantro adds a certain authentic taste to any Mexican dish.
Wow - cilantro is beauty. Never had it until I was over 30. It was like I rediscovered food. Well OK, it was pretty damn good though.

Avocado availability is one of the primary reasons I live in CaliforniaEDIT: And before someone says "you can get them anywhere"... there's a difference between being able to buy them at the store and people giving you a bag of 10 because they have too many, leaving them in the work lunchroom for people to take, etc. They are everywhere.
Hi New Neighbor! :CantFindDrivingMeme:

Can't understand the cilantro hate....nothing better than shredded pork on corn tortillas with nothing but hot sauce, cilantro, and white onion. I love cilantro.

Avocados: Incredible! If you really want to take your guac to the next level....add a lb. of thick cut crumbled bacon. Super fatty, but oh so delicious, and its not like you will be making it more than twice a year. Take it to a party and you will be the star of the appetizers!

Avocados: Incredible! If you really want to take your guac to the next level....add a lb. of thick cut crumbled bacon. Super fatty, but oh so delicious, and its not like you will be making it more than twice a year. Take it to a party and you will be the star of the appetizers!
I like the cut of your jib. :thumbup:

Confirmation of what? The big knock on them is their high saturated fat content. I am one of those who believe the science shows that so long as your diet is, for the most part, grain and sugar free saturated fats are good for you.As far as some of the additional beneficial claims for these oils I can tell you is that palm oil has clearly demonstrated high levels of Coenzyme Q and vitamin E content (both good).For coconut oil there have been many studies that demonstrate the medium chain triglycerides found abundantly in coconut oil improve metabolism. There is also a lot of evidence that demonstrates anti viral and and bacterial effect.
The studies I've read were mostly concerned with saturated fats raising good and bad cholesterols, HDL and LDL.

Really the best way to have a coconut is to be in the tropics, get a green one fresh off a tree, cool it down a bunch, then slice the top off and drink with a straw. Afterwards, cut the thing in half and eat the white "meat" inside. So awesome.I love coconuts like this, but don't care much for the bottled coconut water, and that crap that gets sprinkled on cupcakes and stuff is just nasty.

I haven't tried coconut oil, but may have to.
I buy a carton of coconut water about once a year because I always seem to forget how disappointed I was the last time I bought some. It seems like it's going to be so great at the time, but it's just not very good.

Hooked on avocados now. Always looking for ways to use them. Making guac at least once a week, using it as a spread instead of mayo, sliced on sandwiches, etc. Gonna make an avocado and sour cream dip today.

Agree on the overuse of cilantro. I see recipes where they throw a handful into a dish. I can barely use more than a tablespoon of it chopped up in a small bowl of salsa.

So, are you guys mixing your own guac ingredients or using using one of the store-bought packs that you mix with 2 avocados? I've been quite happy using Ortega, but I'm prepared to be happier.

Those giant so called "Florida" avocados aren't bad, but I don't think the guac they make is quite as good.

Had them not to long ago with an egg in the middle. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top and put them in the oven for a few minutes. Delicious!

So, are you guys mixing your own guac ingredients or using using one of the store-bought packs that you mix with 2 avocados? I've been quite happy using Ortega, but I'm prepared to be happier.

Those giant so called "Florida" avocados aren't bad, but I don't think the guac they make is quite as good.
I make it fresh. I'd imagine the store brands are loaded with salt.

1 avocado, 2 roma tomatoes, a little cilantro, some lime juice, half a small onion, a little minced garlic and a small amount of salt.

Some cumin and cayenne pepper too.

I make it fresh. I'd imagine the store brands are loaded with salt.

1 avocado, 2 roma tomatoes, a little cilantro, some lime juice, half a small onion, a little minced garlic and a small amount of salt.

Some cumin and cayenne pepper too.
:goodposting:

Yep only way to go. It's so easy and better doing it this way there is no need to buy a one of those packaged mixes.

Avacado on toast with hot sauce and pepper is a great snack.

My lunch of late is a spinach salad with avocado, chick peas, red onion, hot peppers, and mozzarella.

A friend of mine is an avocado farmer. I had lunch with him the other week and he gave me a bag of avocados, just off the tree. They're starting to ripen now and they're delicious. (I mean, all avocados are delicious, but these are especially good.) I voted for the first poll option.

Cut avocado in half, remove seed, a dash of sea salt and a splash of lime juice and eat 'em with a spoon! Oh YUM!

Guac tip: slice some uncooked kernals off an ear of corn and mix them in. So goood.

Also surprised the BLAT sandwich (blt with avo) hasnt been mentioned here. Gods gift to sandwiches.

And green goddess dressing with avo is really good in a salad.

I hate chain restaurants. But of you do have to make it into a chili's have the California club. Wheat Texas toast Bacon Lettuce Mayo Turkey Ham And two slabs of Thick avacado (makes the sanwitch) Honestly one of the best sanwitches going.
i am not going into ####### chilis, but yes, i will pretty much order this combo any time i see it on a menu. (though usually without ham.)

Users who are viewing this thread