What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Belichick Quotes on "Running up the Score" (1 Viewer)

Eventually he's going to piss the wrong dude off and Brady's going to start getting hit 5 seconds after he throws the ball.
Exactly! and it will happen in a game when the Pats are up by 20+ in the fourth quarter. Then who's fault will it be Bill?Ridiculous
come on guys, please. Root for NE to lose; don't root for them to get hurt...What kind of people are writing this stuff??
I don't think anyone is advocating it. I think we are all just pointing out that the possibililties exist. There are more than a few players who subscribe to the same pharmacy as Merriman. That stuff makes you a little violent and angry out on the field.
Exactly.Im not advocating it...but Im thinking it could happen. And if it does, I will not whine over it...but the chowds sure will.

Eventually he's going to piss the wrong dude off and Brady's going to start getting hit 5 seconds after he throws the ball.
If any player is foolish enough to do this, which is unquestionably unsportsmanlike, I have no doubt they would face a minimum of the rest of the season suspension, and maybe even a year. It would be construed as nothing more than a deliberate attempt to take him out of the game, perhaps forever. No player would do such a thing, and no coach would advocate it. This isn't the cheap shot stepping on a hand, or even kicking a bit when walking by.
Certainly not condoning this but I don't think I've ever heard of a player being suspended for the season for taking a cheap shot on a QB. Why would going after Brady be punished more severely than any other QB?
If it plays out like many on this board are predicting, after the whistle, clearly a shot at taking him out of the game, not in the course of game action, I wouldn't be at all surprised with a very severe penalty being handed down. For the same crowd to be whining about the classless Patriots to be advocating a late hit to injure a player is laughable. What would you consider more classless... running up the score or intentionally injuring a opponent ( because you can't stop his team )? I know which way I lean.
This is all a matter of degrees. Power to Brady if he can stay healthy and set passing records for the rest of his career. It may be all worth it to have a "season for the ages" (19-0, 60 TD passes).However, IMO, it is not at all "classless" to put maximum effort into hitting the QB and hitting him hard in these situations. Blitz 8 and tell the Defense that you want "hits" on the QB --- tell them that you want basically "legal hits", which basically limits the shots to no more than 2 or 3 steps after the ball has been released (yeah still a flag for roughing the QB, but nothing more blatant than what is seen somewhere every Sunday of the year, with the exception that it may be more than 1 defender). Sure some coaches and some players will not want to engage in this strategy. However, just look at the opinions of disinterested parties on this matter, there will be many left who feel differently and would be willing to do the "baseball equivalent" of throwing at the batter who had previously stolen a base in the 9th inning with a 10 run lead. If this scenario were to occur, hopefully Brady would not be really injured and I bet that the "message" would be delivered and BB would alter his late game play calling/substitution patterns in blow outs. Right now, BB does not care because he think the Pats are just "so good" that no defense could effectively execute a "bounty" on Brady and he may be right for 2007.

If any player is foolish enough to do this, which is unquestionably unsportsmanlike, I have no doubt they would face a minimum of the rest of the season suspension, and maybe even a year. It would be construed as nothing more than a deliberate attempt to take him out of the game, perhaps forever. No player would do such a thing, and no coach would advocate it. This isn't the cheap shot stepping on a hand, or even kicking a bit when walking by.
Certainly not condoning this but I don't think I've ever heard of a player being suspended for the season for taking a cheap shot on a QB. Why would going after Brady be punished more severely than any other QB?
If it plays out like many on this board are predicting, after the whistle, clearly a shot at taking him out of the game, not in the course of game action, I wouldn't be at all surprised with a very severe penalty being handed down. For the same crowd to be whining about the classless Patriots to be advocating a late hit to injure a player is laughable. What would you consider more classless... running up the score or intentionally injuring a opponent ( because you can't stop his team )? I know which way I lean.
I don't think we have anything to compare it to. A deliberate shot on ANY player, five seconds after the whistle? The closest thing we have to compare it to is the hockey swinging incident. Nothing there but a deliberate intent to injure. I'd have to believe the punishment would be just as severe. I could be wrong, and I hope we never have to see this answered for a hit on any player. I guess another incident was a Rugby case where one player, after the play, walked up and licked another in the face.
You have either forgotten, or perhaps are too young to remember Charles Martin. Martin was with the Packers for one season, dismissed in large part for his actions against the Bears. Prior to a game Martin put a hit list of Bear's players #'s on a towel he wore. he actually labeled it a "Hit List". Several seconds after a play, as McMahon was walking back to the huddle martin grabbed him, picked him up, and applied a fairly respectable suplex smashing McMahon down on his neck and shoulder. I'm a Packer fan, and although McMahon was a bit of a cocky ####### and deserved a comuppance, that remains the most shameful moment in Packer history.

I'm a Browns fan, I hate Belicheck, and think he is the devil. Now having said that, I don't see any problem with any team running the score up. For once in his life, something he said actually makes since, its the offenses job to score points. If you defense sucks so bad that they can't stop them, that is there fault, get better.

There are two separate arguments here:1. Are the Patriots showing poor sportsmanship by either running up the score or leaving their players in too long? This is a legitimitate issue to discuss; you can agree or disagree with it based upon your opinion.2. Should other teams or players retaliate by attempting to injure Tom Brady or other Patriots? This is NOT a legitimate issue; those people that are suggesting it should stop right now. Patriot fans, you don't need to argue against this line of thinking; it is benaeth you and all of us to have to do so.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone intentionally injure anyone. Just that the possibility of injury exists.An illegal hit that causes an injury to Tom Brady falls 100% on the player that made the hit. A legal play in which Tom Brady gets injured falls 100% on Belichick for leaving him in the ballgame when it's out of reach.

There are two separate arguments here:1. Are the Patriots showing poor sportsmanship by either running up the score or leaving their players in too long? This is a legitimitate issue to discuss; you can agree or disagree with it based upon your opinion.2. Should other teams or players retaliate by attempting to injure Tom Brady or other Patriots? This is NOT a legitimate issue; those people that are suggesting it should stop right now. Patriot fans, you don't need to argue against this line of thinking; it is benaeth you and all of us to have to do so.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone intentionally injure anyone. Just that the possibility of injury exists.An illegal hit that causes an injury to Tom Brady falls 100% on the player that made the hit. A legal play in which Tom Brady gets injured falls 100% on Belichick for leaving him in the ballgame when it's out of reach.
There have been plenty of people on this website who have been openly advocating a injury ot Brady. Even those of you who claim that you're not advocating it, but that it is a possibility are drawing too fine a line for me; I suspect you wouldn't mind if it happened.What the Pats are doing is shameful, and deserves to be villified, in my opinion, but the New England fans are 100% correct; if you want to stop them from doing this, defeat them on the field!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, and that's something as a head coach he needs to come to terms with. That's no different than when a team locks up home field and they have to decide whether to sit their stars for the last few games. It's a lose/lose situation. When Shanahan did it, he got filleted because the Broncos lost and people ripped him for the Broncos loss of momentum. When Reid did it in Philly, he looked like a genius because it gave his oft-injured stars chances to rest up and make a Super Bowl run.Brady is no more likely to get unintentionally hurt in a 42-0 game than he would if it was 21-21 in the 4th Q. Every snap in every situation is a potential season-ending injury. Football coaches and players can't think like that, or they'll be tentative and doomed to fail.

I don't think we have anything to compare it to. A deliberate shot on ANY player, five seconds after the whistle? The closest thing we have to compare it to is the hockey swinging incident. Nothing there but a deliberate intent to injure. I'd have to believe the punishment would be just as severe. I could be wrong, and I hope we never have to see this answered for a hit on any player. I guess another incident was a Rugby case where one player, after the play, walked up and licked another in the face.
You have either forgotten, or perhaps are too young to remember Charles Martin. Martin was with the Packers for one season, dismissed in large part for his actions against the Bears. Prior to a game Martin put a hit list of Bear's players #'s on a towel he wore. he actually labeled it a "Hit List". Several seconds after a play, as McMahon was walking back to the huddle martin grabbed him, picked him up, and applied a fairly respectable suplex smashing McMahon down on his neck and shoulder. I'm a Packer fan, and although McMahon was a bit of a cocky ####### and deserved a comuppance, that remains the most shameful moment in Packer history.
Purely classless, and I had forgotten about it. You failed to mention his ejection and two game suspension. Now, move forward to a few years back. Albert Haynesworth dragged his cleats across Andre Gurodes helmet. That than warranted a five game suspension. Not nearly on the level of the Martin antics. So, we can extrapolate that the penalty would be worse than Haynesworths, especially jnder the Goodell regime.

Let's also not forget that while this is a competitive league, it's also a money-making adventure. No one wants to pay $300 for a ticket and watch Matt Cassel throw the ball to Jabar Gaffney for an entire half of football. Nor do ticket-holders want to watch 2 teams start taking knees in the beginning of the 4th qtr because it's a romp and NE is clearly better.

Sure, and that's something as a head coach he needs to come to terms with. That's no different than when a team locks up home field and they have to decide whether to sit their stars for the last few games. It's a lose/lose situation. When Shanahan did it, he got filleted because the Broncos lost and people ripped him for the Broncos loss of momentum. When Reid did it in Philly, he looked like a genius because it gave his oft-injured stars chances to rest up and make a Super Bowl run.Brady is no more likely to get unintentionally hurt in a 42-0 game than he would if it was 21-21 in the 4th Q. Every snap in every situation is a potential season-ending injury. Football coaches and players can't think like that, or they'll be tentative and doomed to fail.
Its not about being no more likely to get hurt when its 42-0.But he is much more likely to get hurt being in a game that is already decided...then if he was on the sidelines with Cassel in there.Or why did they put the other 2 QBs in there yesterday. If it does not matter...why were they in there?

And, I land firmly in hte camp that if you teach a team to lay quit, they will quit. If you teach them to play hard whistle to whistle, you don't selectively apply that methodology, because it will haunt you. Players get hurt in preseason, practice, wiinning and losing. It's a violent game.

Purely classless, and I had forgotten about it. You failed to mention his ejection and two game suspension. Now, move forward to a few years back. Albert Haynesworth dragged his cleats across Andre Gurodes helmet. That than warranted a five game suspension. Not nearly on the level of the Martin antics. So, we can extrapolate that the penalty would be worse than Haynesworths, especially jnder the Goodell regime.
I don't think a late hit would be quite the same as stomping on a guy's face after the play like Haynesworth did. And it was just last year.

I've got no dog in this hunt and am therefore pretty indifferent. But I gotta wonder when did it become an unwritten rule that you had to lay down if you're up by x amount of points as a definition of class. I'm not saying it's not so, because obviously there is that unwritten rule. But why? Does it stem from our Little League days where we don't want little Timmy to be scarred for life because his baseball team got drilled 23-0 so we implement the 7 run rule or whatever?

I'm just curious why on the pro football level has this become some unwritten rule? When a baseball team wins 23-0, no one says a word. No one starts complaining because Jim Bob went yard with 2 men on and the team up by 17. In basketball, there is certainly a tendency to take the air out of the ball if you're up by 20 in the fourth quarter, but still if a team in the NBA wins by 40 points because they were still hot shooting in the fourth quarter, no one whines because they didn't miss on purpose when they were taking those 20 foot jump shots.

I don't know, I'm just wondering when in the history of the NFL someone deemed that you had to quit playing hard if your team was up by however many points.

Its not about being no more likely to get hurt when its 42-0.But he is much more likely to get hurt being in a game that is already decided...then if he was on the sidelines with Cassel in there.Or why did they put the other 2 QBs in there yesterday. If it does not matter...why were they in there?
to get snaps. The same way every coach clears the bench at every level. You don't see it on defense, because the Pats use their defensive players all game. There are only 53 players ont he roster, and the defense regularly sees at least 20 players every week. The same guys have to be in there. I dispute you notion that the injury is more likely when winning.

The facts of the Bounty Bowl escape me right now, but that would be another example. Wasn't it Buddy Ryan suggesting his team had a bounty on another player?Me, I want good clean hard play. Within that parameter I want my defense to smack around the opposing Q.B. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady end far too many games with clean uniforms. That said, every defensive coordinator they face has made the effort and yet they remain relatively untouched.

I think a lot of guys on this board would like to see the NFL come up with a mercy rule like they do in kiddie football and baseball.
:goodposting: ..and everyone should get a "participitatory" trophy for just showing up, like so many youth sports do.This is the problem with society nowadays: everyone is worried about hurting someone's feelings. Has society become so uptight that they can't deal with the disappointment of getting your butt kicked? The answer is yes. This is why losers who get fired, suspended or excessively disciplined (in their own minds) go on shooting rampages.It all makes one want to move to the mountains and get away from the media and all the people who have nothing better to do than protest stupid stuff like sporting blowouts.The Pats got blown out EVERY week for years and the world didn't complain. Let's move on.....

Just a quick clarification for all the Pats fans stating that not trying to score would be "quitting". You can play hard & execute every play, and just because it's a run play, it's not quitting. What teams ever, when up 30+ pts and running the ball, getting 1sts, and chewing up clock, have ever been labeled "quitters"?

Good grief, I think we need a separate Patriots forum

Ni
I think that the NFL needs a seperate league. They are in a league of their own, they might as well play in one. At least than the other teams in that league won't complain about bieng beat by "too much".Oh wait ... they are already in the NFL.

Brady is no more likely to get unintentionally hurt in a 42-0 game than he would if it was 21-21 in the 4th Q.
Yes, but putting Matt Cassel in when when it's 21-21 might result in a loss.
Right. Just to be clear here, I think it's ridiculous for anyone to argue Belichick isn't "running up the score." I just don't see why he shouldn't if he's so inclined. Like any decision a coach makes, there are risks. I think, were I a team that got pasted by the Pats, I would be downright embarrassed to have my players moaning and complaining about the score after the fact. I would remind them that it's their job to a) stop the Pats and b ) score against the Pats defense.For all this talk of the Pats offensive aggressiveness, no one is pointing out that without a dominating defense, they wouldn't be in the position to "run up the score" in the first place.

to get snaps. The same way every coach clears the bench at every level. You don't see it on defense, because the Pats use their defensive players all game. There are only 53 players ont he roster, and the defense regularly sees at least 20 players every week. The same guys have to be in there. I dispute you notion that the injury is more likely when winning.
Brady was not pulled to get Cassel snaps. He was pulled to keep from getting hurt in a meaningless game. And should have been pulled before that. Its the reason most starters get pulled. To keep them from getting hurt.Ive never claimed any injury is more likely because of the score. Its more likely that Brady gets hurt when in the game...then when not in the game. Get it?I doubt it. Do I need to slow down for you?

Brady is no more likely to get unintentionally hurt in a 42-0 game than he would if it was 21-21 in the 4th Q.
Yes, but putting Matt Cassel in when when it's 21-21 might result in a loss.
Right. Just to be clear here, I think it's ridiculous for anyone to argue Belichick isn't "running up the score." I just don't see why he shouldn't if he's so inclined. Like any decision a coach makes, there are risks. I think, were I a team that got pasted by the Pats, I would be downright embarrassed to have my players moaning and complaining about the score after the fact. I would remind them that it's their job to a) stop the Pats and b ) score against the Pats defense.For all this talk of the Pats offensive aggressiveness, no one is pointing out that without a dominating defense, they wouldn't be in the position to "run up the score" in the first place.
That risk is why he should not.Im not complaining about it from a poor skins...or Dolphins or whatever stance.Im talking about it from the stance of, the risk of his player getting hurt in a meaningless part of the game that is decided already is beyond that reward of scoring again. IMO.But here is the thing about that "dominating" defense.Why did they feel the need to put Brady back into a game with a 21 point lead against Miami? Did they not feel their defense could hold a 21 point lead with under 10 minutes (and the Pats had the ball at the 41)?Or a 30+ point lead to the skins who had done nothing all day?

they're grown men, and the patriots have been dissed for the game footage fiasco that happened game one

they're proving to everyone that they are far, far superior to other NFL teams and they're going to smack your ### down 35 points if they can

don't like it ? STOP THEM

if you can't stop them, take the ### beating and play for second best

Well Belichick does seem to be getting into the heads of fans. I suspect he is in the heads of opposing coaches and coordinators as well. An "air of invincibility" can be a strong weapon, but only if the players don't start believing their own press cliippings. Thus far i have seen none of that.

This is the Big Boy league. If you don't want them to score, then stop them from scoring.
While I agree with this I also think that once you are up by 40+ in the 4th quarter it doesn't hurt to show a little class and run the clock out.
I definitely understand what you are saying. A couple of weeks ago, a Steelers OL was quoted saying he loved running the ball with a lead because it is a great feeling to execute even when the opposition knows what you are going to do. As a Steelers fan, I love this. However, class is not a prerequisite in the pros...its about the money.I don't know the exact numbers, but I do know Brady has restructured his contract a couple of times in the past few years. Maybe the running up the score is Belichick's way of ensuring Brady gets his money through incentives (Offensive MVP, pro bowls, scoring stats, playoff appearances, SB appearances). This is just a hypothesis, and may play little to no part in what Belicheck is doing.Class wins you respect, but it doesn't pad your bank account. I am not saying this is right or wrong, that is determined by the individual.

This is the same defense that claimed that the Pat's offense wasn't that good and they (the DBs) were all #1 picks. They couldn't stop the Pats 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team offense and deserved to get their ###es kicked. If you're gonna talk trash in the NFL, then back it up with your play on the field but don't (to use a trite but appropriate phrase) "let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash." The Washington team, like San Diego and Dallas before them, talked trash and got punched in the mouth for their trouble...you're 4-2 in the pathetic NFC East don't open your mouth period, cause you're not that good.

While I agree the Pats didn't need to run the score up to 52-7, at the same time the NFL philosophy has changed...the short pass replaced the run several years ago. Washington needs to catch up to modern times and be able to stop someone on 4th and 2 whether they run, pass, or try to dance a jig...it's 4th down for chrissakes.

As for intentionally injuring a player that is absolutely hogwash and sounds like something that would come out of Ray-Ray's mouth...play hard and leave it all out on the field you win or lose based on how good your team is and not whether or not you can "intentionally" hurt another player.

Your statement is contradictory. If every snap is a potetial season-ending injury, than wouldn't Brady be more susceptible to injury by leaving him in for more snaps?

I think I read a quote from him in the past where he said, "We'll stop trying to score as soon as they stop trying to score. When their offense starts taking knees then we'll do the same."
that's just it right there. If the other team is trying to score, as they obviously were, why is it only one teams obligation to lay down? To me, there's no difference than quitting executing your offense and simply laying the ball on the ground and walking away. Both are quitting. You don't teach quitting.
Because it is a good way to get players hurt.You run the ball...you run the clock down and get the game over with.You don't drop back your QB for deep passes...and you don't go for it on 4th down.How many Pats fans will defend BB when Brady blows out a knee while tossing a deep ball up 30+ in the 4th quarter?
How is it more of a good way to get hurt than any other time?? You play 4 quarters either way. Educate me please.

I've got no dog in this hunt and am therefore pretty indifferent. But I gotta wonder when did it become an unwritten rule that you had to lay down if you're up by x amount of points as a definition of class. I'm not saying it's not so, because obviously there is that unwritten rule. But why? Does it stem from our Little League days where we don't want little Timmy to be scarred for life because his baseball team got drilled 23-0 so we implement the 7 run rule or whatever?I'm just curious why on the pro football level has this become some unwritten rule? When a baseball team wins 23-0, no one says a word. No one starts complaining because Jim Bob went yard with 2 men on and the team up by 17. In basketball, there is certainly a tendency to take the air out of the ball if you're up by 20 in the fourth quarter, but still if a team in the NBA wins by 40 points because they were still hot shooting in the fourth quarter, no one whines because they didn't miss on purpose when they were taking those 20 foot jump shots.I don't know, I'm just wondering when in the history of the NFL someone deemed that you had to quit playing hard if your team was up by however many points.
It's not about "playing hard", when you continue to throw the ball or go for it on fourth down it equates to continuing to steal bases in a baseball game up by 15 in the eighth inning. Or putting on a full court press in Basketball up by 35 with 2 minutes left. It isn't done. Doesn't mean the team is not playing hard.

This is all a matter of degrees. Power to Brady if he can stay healthy and set passing records for the rest of his career. It may be all worth it to have a "season for the ages" (19-0, 60 TD passes).However, IMO, it is not at all "classless" to put maximum effort into hitting the QB and hitting him hard in these situations. Blitz 8 and tell the Defense that you want "hits" on the QB --- tell them that you want basically "legal hits", which basically limits the shots to no more than 2 or 3 steps after the ball has been released
Personally I think if I were the coach of a team that faces New England in the regular season and will likely face them again in the playoffs (Colts, Steelers, possibly Ravens) this is the strategy I think I would employ. Put single coverage on the receivers and send everyone else at Brady on virtually every play. Sure he is likely going to beat you doing this, but no QB likes getting hit and it could throw him off his game a little. If nothing else it may give him something to think about when you play them next in the playoffs.

This is the Big Boy league. If you don't want them to score, then stop them from scoring.
While I agree with this I also think that once you are up by 40+ in the 4th quarter it doesn't hurt to show a little class and run the clock out.
Its like baseball. You don't steal bases with a 10 run lead...and so on. Its class...its respect...its something BB clearly does not care about.
I think everyone, Pats fans and haters alike, can agree Belicheck is not a classy guy.
No, but he is a winner.

Yes, Brady can get hurt at anytime but it a matter of minimizing risk. As the number of snaps increase so does the possibility of being injured.
But its not that simple. Look at it this way- who's more liable to get hurt in the next game- the QB who has played 8 full games with his offense, or the QB that has played 4 and sat 4? If your offense isnt getting snaps you are putting your QB in danger just as surely as if he is out there playing later in games. This offense is operating at a near perfect rythm. Why throw that off? Upsetting the apple cart creates a risk of injury as well. It also creates a risk of LOSING, which is the primary concern of Belichik. Echoing what Wood said, there are lots of coaches that would be afraid of their guys getting injured, and happy to take their lead and sit on it while their stars rust on the sideline. Most of those coaches are 3-4. This team sees things differently. I find it amazing people are arguing with the results.

We all know that prevent defenses prevent you from winning- but we forget why. Its not that there is anything wrong with the scheme, its that the players put in that position are mentally playing not to lose, which is the quickest way to lose. Same with playing not to get hurt.

I have heard people say, many times, that players are a lot more prone to injury when they aren't play all-out. Seems to me a good argument can be made for keeping the pedal to the metal, then to avoid injury. Not going out there and playing half-heartedly to avoid making the other team look like a Division II college team, while they do continue to play all-out.

I think I read a quote from him in the past where he said, "We'll stop trying to score as soon as they stop trying to score. When their offense starts taking knees then we'll do the same."
that's just it right there. If the other team is trying to score, as they obviously were, why is it only one teams obligation to lay down? To me, there's no difference than quitting executing your offense and simply laying the ball on the ground and walking away. Both are quitting. You don't teach quitting.
Because it is a good way to get players hurt.You run the ball...you run the clock down and get the game over with.You don't drop back your QB for deep passes...and you don't go for it on 4th down.How many Pats fans will defend BB when Brady blows out a knee while tossing a deep ball up 30+ in the 4th quarter?
How is it more of a good way to get hurt than any other time?? You play 4 quarters either way. Educate me please.
Are some of you really this slow? Or are you being intentionally foolish?Listen up.If Brady is pulled out of the game...what is his chance of getting hurt?If he is handing off rather than in shotgun/passing situations...what is his chance of getting hurt? :rolleyes:

Its like baseball. You don't steal bases with a 10 run lead...and so on. Its class...its respect...its something BB clearly does not care about.
The Pats were running down the clock and that great Redskin defense we have been hearing about couldnt even stop the run.So should have the Pats just let the Redskins score at will in the 4th quarter? Where do you draw the line? You clearly believe the Pats offense shouldn't do their job, should the Pats defense also let down? That is what you are asking right?
When you're running the ball at 5 ypc, how does marching down the field and chewing up the clock while scoring on your rushing drives = not doing their job or "laying down"? You guys all act like if the Pats don't go balls out and pass that they can't score or control the clock or get first downs. I don't know about you but if you're getting 5 yards per carry and run it 3 times that ought to get you a first down and thus keep the ball out of the opposing offense's hands. But maybe I am not doing the math right. And no, he didn't say anything about the D letting up either, but don't let that stop your everreactionary drivel. If you're worried about a team coming back on you, you keep the ball out of their hands and play the shut down defense you've been playing all game. And you don't keep the ball out of their hands by throwing it 30 yards in one play. all you're doing is scoring faster and giving the ball to the other team quicker. If BB was truly interested in preserving a win, he'd run out the clock. What BB is trying to do is score and score and score. Last week it was "Miami could get another pick 6 and it'd be a 2 score game" This week it's "The offense is just doing it's job". It's a all a bunch of classless BS, mirrored by a bunch of classless enablers in here who mistake pride in their team for turning a blind eye to shady and stupid game management. Someone WILL get hurt, intentionally or not, when they shouldn't be in the game. And all you people clamoring for the offense to "do it's job" or "what are they supposed to do, kneel?" are going to be crying in your Wheaties when Matt Cassell is taking snaps in January and throwing the ball to Gaffney

"I've been coaching too long," Belichick said. "I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you're playing defense it's your job to stop them. It's not (the offense's) job to not score. It's like I tell the offense, what the (bleep) do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That's not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven't scored points you haven't done your job."
:confused:

:confused: Or the cheap shot against Steinbach.
Steinbach wasn't even involved in the play. Curiously the guy who was, Thomas, apparently never had jack to say about it. Maybe because he knows - as the video makes clear - it was completely mischaracterized and blown out of proportion by Steinbach.

I don't recall these types of posts when Manning was going for the TD record. But, then again, his defense may have been so bad that the score differential wasn't as gross.

Well, my 2 cents is as follows. It all comes down to winning. Once upon a time, football was about winning at any and all costs. Before the league put flags in the QB's pockets, defensive players would be gunning for the QB.... knock the QB out and your chances of winning were greatly increased. That's football, like it or lump it. Football is a contact sport...., a defensive player inducing contact is pretty much trying to shut down the person receiving the hit..., that's their job/objective. If you send 300 lbs at full speed at any person.... that's pretty much intentionally trying to hurt someone.

If I was a professional defensive coordinator, I would send 8+ at Brady early and often... I'd tell the defense to do their job and "make contact". And would also remind them, if they don't succeed, Brady and BB are going to absolutely humiliate you...., all day, because they will NOT let up.

In closing, any one who says trying to knock some one out in Football, Boxing, Rugby, Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football, Hockey, or any other "contact" sport as being unprofessional is being unrealistic and should start following some other "non" contact sport such as synchronized swimming, figure skating, gymnastics, etc.

It doesn't bother me one bit that other NFL teams can't stop themselves from being blown out by the Pats. Honestly, opponents seem to be giving up themselves at halftime, thinking the Pats will step off the gas. That is their own problem. Be a pro, stop the Pats from scoring if you can. It's hard to believe a Patriot offense playing with zero despair, in the 2nd half of meaningless games, can continue to run up points on any NFL defense playing for pride. It just shouldn't happen; or better put, NFL defenses shouldn't allow it to happen.

Beyond that, having been a fan of the Viking's awesome offense in '98, and seeing how the Rams great offense was beaten by the Pats in a subsequent SB, I'm well aware of the slightest things that can turn 'unstoppable' into 'very beatable' and one of those things is definitely mindset. If I was 'unstoppable' and had a Moss as a cornerstone on my team, the last signal I'd ever want to send to that team is 'go through the motions.' Next thing you know, guys will think they can mail in an entire game, play down to their opponent, and making concentration errors such as taking on bad penalities or dropping easy passes. If that happens, it's easier said than done to re-establish a groove, IMHO. I'm no Patriots fan, but I wouldn't change what they are doing if I was. The NFL archives are littered with teams who were unbeatable and lost the groove, for one reason or another.

I dont understand why people are whining? If teams dont want the pats to run up the score than all they need to do is STOP THEM. Seems simple to me. I guess the opposing teams want some garbage points to make themselves feel better.
It's truly ironic this week, because in the 'Skins fever thread there iis a post about Gibbs saying the 'Skins got too complacent the week prior against the Cardinals, allowing them to get back in the game. This week, the Redskins are complaining about the Pats running it up. The funny thing is, Washington got more aggressive down a lot. They're still trying to come back. Are the Pats just supposed to let them make it close?
Washington didn't get more aggressive. Certainly not on defense. I don't think they blitzed once.Now, I'm a Redskins fan. I don't have a problem with what the Patriots did. It's kind of a #### move, but I respect athletic arrogance, and if it helps the Pats keep their killer instinct, that's fine. But I don't think the Redskins should have laid down and taken it. I would have started blitzing. I'm sure the Pats could have handled it, but i would have at least let my team inflict a little cost for the tactic. As it was, Belichick took no chance in keeping Brady in the game. With the Skins sending four, Brady could have done the Sunday Times Crossword back there.

When Brady is "faking spikes" and passing TD's in a game out of hand I think you are asking for it.

Football is a game played by Humans with emotions. Eventually they will pi$$ off the wrong people and pay for it. Thats just a fact.

In the end it would be more strategical for the Pats to play with some humbleness instead of trying to pad the record book. I mean what good is it making the playoffs if you don't have your stud QB?

Football is a contact sport - I think someone sends a message to them very soon.

I just don't understand the vitriol about the Pats running up the score. Everyone is paid an enormous amount of money in this league to field competitive teams. They all have the same salary cap and contractual rules to play by. They all have the right to call plays and live with the consequences. Why shouldn't the Pats continue to play this way if no one can stop them? Why shouldn't they want to smash NFL records on their way to a Super Bowl run? Why is it wrong that Belichick wants to see Brady break the single season passing marks? Love or hate Belichick, he is absolutely right in what he says. When an opponent comes over and says, "OK Bill, you got us this time, let's call it a game" then Bill can tell the Pats to start taking a knee. For a sport that's as popular as it is because of the perceived toughness of those involved, I'm shocked at how many whiny fans have a problem with what the Pats are doing. I just don't get it :bag:
:bag: :thumbup: :yes:

They are lucky they don't play the Titans this year - we all know Mr Haynesworth wouldn't stand for anyone running up the score.
You know, it's not a good thing to find yourself on the same side of things as Albert Haynesworth.
I'm just stating the obvious. Think about it? When Belichek calls that "fake spike" from the sidlines and Brady looks over the O-line and sees Mr Haynesworth fuming and about to go ape **** - I think he audibles to a run play very quickly.

Ministry of Pain said:
I just don't understand the vitriol about the Pats running up the score. Everyone is paid an enormous amount of money in this league to field competitive teams. They all have the same salary cap and contractual rules to play by. They all have the right to call plays and live with the consequences. Why shouldn't the Pats continue to play this way if no one can stop them? Why shouldn't they want to smash NFL records on their way to a Super Bowl run? Why is it wrong that Belichick wants to see Brady break the single season passing marks? Love or hate Belichick, he is absolutely right in what he says. When an opponent comes over and says, "OK Bill, you got us this time, let's call it a game" then Bill can tell the Pats to start taking a knee. For a sport that's as popular as it is because of the perceived toughness of those involved, I'm shocked at how many whiny fans have a problem with what the Pats are doing. I just don't get it :bag:
4th and 1on the 7up by 38 in the fourth quarter. Calling a QB sneak with brady to pick up the first down is stupid. You are putting your QB at risk when you do not need to.kick the field goal

Ministry of Pain said:
There is an unspoken rule in the game of hockey (which is also a contact sport) that if you run up the score - you better watch your back.You'll see it numerous times if 1 NHL team is demolishing the other. The coach will send out his goons and all he** will break out.It sends a message "You may have beaten us but you are not going to embarass us".

Users who are viewing this thread