What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benson Is Terrible (1 Viewer)

RBM said:
Christo said:
mdog1967 said:
Did anybody actually see the game against Minny? He averaged what 3.7 YPC against the best rush defense in the league?
:own3d: He looked terrible.
He looked good to me. He had 9 carries for 46 yards with 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and he didnt touch the ball again until partway through the 3rd quarter. Long time to be out of action. Plus Benson had 5 carries of 10+ yards. See how easy it is when there are holes and he actually gets the ball? Then Turner had a brain fart and went totally away from the run after 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. I thought they were suppose to be a running team, and their back is ripping off 10 yard runs and averaging 5+ ypc and you go away from him?
I'm starting to really wonder about Turner ... How are the Bears offensive woes everyone's fault except his?
No he didnt look good, a RB has to keep his head up. A running back has to hit the seam with authority. Benson is not capable for what ever reason to run over anyone, he seems to go down too many times on first touch. This dude is a big back and he should be laying the wood all over the place. Go and watch Frank Gore, the 49rs are terrible this year and thier o-line is much worse than the Bears IMHO, Gore's numbers have suffered, but when he runs he looks like he wants to kill some one. If Benson had half the heart of Gore he would be what all of his supporters think he is.
I honestly don't know how anyone could have watched the Minnesota game and come to the conclusion that Benson looked bad.
There is zero chance this guy watched the game. Everything he criticized Benson for he did for the first time all year in the Minn game.Very annoying to just spout off without having a clue.
Its whats Nice about having Direct TV NFL season ticket and the NFL network, You get to see all the games. I watched the MINN/CHI game to see Peterson run against Chicago. You guys are not facing reality. If you watched that game and saw Benson doing anything else than what he has done all year, then your seeing things Im not.
Love direct ticket as well, but you must have changed the channel on one of his 4 or 5 runs of 10 yards or more. Not sure there was another game this year where he had more than one of those.

RBM said:
Christo said:
mdog1967 said:
Did anybody actually see the game against Minny? He averaged what 3.7 YPC against the best rush defense in the league?
:blackdot: He looked terrible.
He looked good to me. He had 9 carries for 46 yards with 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and he didnt touch the ball again until partway through the 3rd quarter. Long time to be out of action. Plus Benson had 5 carries of 10+ yards. See how easy it is when there are holes and he actually gets the ball? Then Turner had a brain fart and went totally away from the run after 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. I thought they were suppose to be a running team, and their back is ripping off 10 yard runs and averaging 5+ ypc and you go away from him?
I'm starting to really wonder about Turner ... How are the Bears offensive woes everyone's fault except his?
No he didnt look good, a RB has to keep his head up. A running back has to hit the seam with authority. Benson is not capable for what ever reason to run over anyone, he seems to go down too many times on first touch. This dude is a big back and he should be laying the wood all over the place. Go and watch Frank Gore, the 49rs are terrible this year and thier o-line is much worse than the Bears IMHO, Gore's numbers have suffered, but when he runs he looks like he wants to kill some one. If Benson had half the heart of Gore he would be what all of his supporters think he is.
I honestly don't know how anyone could have watched the Minnesota game and come to the conclusion that Benson looked bad.
There is zero chance this guy watched the game. Everything he criticized Benson for he did for the first time all year in the Minn game.Very annoying to just spout off without having a clue.
Its whats Nice about having Direct TV NFL season ticket and the NFL network, You get to see all the games. I watched the MINN/CHI game to see Peterson run against Chicago. You guys are not facing reality. If you watched that game and saw Benson doing anything else than what he has done all year, then your seeing things Im not.
Love direct ticket as well, but you must have changed the channel on one of his 4 or 5 runs of 10 yards or more. Not sure there was another game this year where he had more than one of those.
Was it one of his better games? Sure, but It looked to me like Minn was not that interested in Benson and scooted fewer players up on the line. It looked to me like the Minn Safty's were more interested in contatining the TE's. It also looked like the Chicago O-Line played marginally better and made a few holes. I think another back on that Sunday would have torched Minni, running behind that Chi-OLine. And really is the Logic now that because Benson didnt suck as much this week as he has for most of the year, proves he does not suck? Come on guys thats not an argument, that beligerant behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
RBM said:
Christo said:
mdog1967 said:
:thumbdown: He looked terrible.
Was it one of his better games? Sure, but It looked to me like Minn was not that interested in Benson and scooted fewer players up on the line. It looked to me like the Minn Safty's were more interested in contatining the TE's. It also looked like the Chicago O-Line played marginally better and made a few holes. I think another back on that Sunday would have torched Minni, running behind that Chi-OLine. And really is the Logic now that because Benson didnt suck as much this week as he has for most of the year, proves he does not suck? Come on guys thats not an argument, that beligerant behavior.
O-line played better, nobody would argue that. For Benson to do well, he is going to need the o-line to play extremely well.No rb has torched the Minn D yet this year. Benson did better than any other back against them.

You cant kill him when he sucks, and then give him zero credit when he doesnt.

O-line played better, nobody would argue that. For Benson to do well, he is going to need the o-line to play extremely well.

No rb has torched the Minn D yet this year. Benson did better than any other back against them.

You cant kill him when he sucks, and then give him zero credit when he doesnt.

you are using facts and analysis in the Shark Pool???

what is yur problem??

Benson blows a lot ... Benson blows a little ... we've seen flashes of brilliance, we've seen flashes of teh suck. I think the main question going forward is, can Benson improve? We talk about how he looked in his college days, and we note the things that he doesn't seem to do well. Are these things that he can improve or will he continue to be the same old Benson. Did we see anything different in the Minnesota game about how he ran, or did he just have bigger holes to run through? I think there's no doubt he can be dangerous once he gets going, but it's the lack of initial burst that seems to prevent him from really breaking out. Without it, like someone said above, he'll need big holes so he has a little more time to accelerate into the 2nd level of the defense.

If you watched that game and saw Benson doing anything else than what he has done all year, then your seeing things Im not.
This fact is obvious.
Your seeing him thru the eyes of wounded fantasy football owners and thats all.
I don't own him in any leagues.
He still ran with his head down, still ran up the back of his teams mates and still went down too easy.
Wrong, wrong and wrong.
I have said that after every game and you know why, cause tigers dont change thier stripes.
Have you ever heard of a guy named Thomas Jones? I believe his resurrection since leaving AZ contradicts this.
Benson is as Benson Does.
I do believe that's the first thing you've said that makes some sense.
That anyone still supports that PoS after 6 games into the season, well......
Yeah, can you believe it? Some people actually have the ability to review a fluid situation and reassess their prior conclusions.

Yeah, can you believe it? Some people actually have the ability to review a fluid situation and reassess their prior conclusions.

Well Christo a good post, we disagree, but hey good post.

Benson blows a lot ... Benson blows a little ... we've seen flashes of brilliance, we've seen flashes of teh suck. I think the main question going forward is, can Benson improve? We talk about how he looked in his college days, and we note the things that he doesn't seem to do well. Are these things that he can improve or will he continue to be the same old Benson. Did we see anything different in the Minnesota game about how he ran, or did he just have bigger holes to run through? I think there's no doubt he can be dangerous once he gets going, but it's the lack of initial burst that seems to prevent him from really breaking out. Without it, like someone said above, he'll need big holes so he has a little more time to accelerate into the 2nd level of the defense.
:goodposting: :popcorn:

I've never been on the Benson bandwagon, and it's not something I will do, but if you were a Benson fan before the season, now would be one helluva time to buy low

I've never been on the Benson bandwagon, and it's not something I will do, but if you were a Benson fan before the season, now would be one helluva time to buy low
The post of post in this thread. Its all how you value him.
Eh, not so fast. By using the "buy low" theory you are assuming his value is now low and thus will rise in the future. There is no point to "buying low" if it doesn't improve and I see no signs that indicate any probability he will get better. Now's a great time to buy low on Enron as well.

What a total stiff.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 87 times, shame on me.

Look at the play-by-play in the gamebook on NFL.com. It's hilarious.

Benson middle, 3 yards.

Benson right, -3 yards.

Benson middle, 1 yard.

Rinse and repeat.

How did Benson look today, 17-46 sounds bad but I didn't see any of it. I would guess he looked slow, played with no heart and falls after first contact, but that's just a very educated guess.

It's not his fault? Yeah, I guess we should blame his parents for not passing on any speed gene. It should be Peterson time at this point. It's not like he could really perform worse.

I watched the whole game, same old, same old from Benson.

Running up his linemens backs, going down after first contact, no burst, no speed, no vision.

The only reason this guy is still playing is becuase the front office doesn't want to look like a bunch of asses by benching him. They used the 4th pick in the first round on him and traded away a very good RB (Jones) to make Benson happy.

He makes me sick watching him.

This guy sucks, but the Bears are running like crap no matter who is in there. He also doesn't seem to have much heart. Last year both backs ran harder when pushing each other, and management took that away.

i was never a big fan of benson in college. He basically just rumbled between the tackles behind a massive offensive line. Sure, he was productive, but i was very surprised he was picked that highly. To me, he just seemed like a very heavily used big college back with very little upside as an NFL runner. When you are picking a RB 4th in the draft, you have to get a pro-bowler. Its as simple as that.

Serious question: why is Benson bashed regularly but Lendale White continues to get a free pass for essentially being the EXACT same guy. They both have low YPC, both have shown very little ability to make anyone miss, and both run in to their blockers a lot. Lendale caught flack last year and this offseason, but it's been pretty quiet since the year began. On the one hand, winning solves a lot of issues and the Titans are winning. On the other hand, as of yesterday, the Titans have had 2 RBs that look better then White, yet there is no discussion here of his work getting scaled back.

For fair's sake, I like both Benson and WHite. Just trying to understand the disparity in disparagement.

Serious question: why is Benson bashed regularly but Lendale White continues to get a free pass for essentially being the EXACT same guy. They both have low YPC, both have shown very little ability to make anyone miss, and both run in to their blockers a lot. Lendale caught flack last year and this offseason, but it's been pretty quiet since the year began. On the one hand, winning solves a lot of issues and the Titans are winning. On the other hand, as of yesterday, the Titans have had 2 RBs that look better then White, yet there is no discussion here of his work getting scaled back.For fair's sake, I like both Benson and WHite. Just trying to understand the disparity in disparagement.
White didnt hold out deep into pre-season and then credit Chris Brown's success on himself, like Benson did w T Jones. I also dont hear White constantly making whiny, selfish statements in the press.

Serious question: why is Benson bashed regularly but Lendale White continues to get a free pass for essentially being the EXACT same guy. They both have low YPC, both have shown very little ability to make anyone miss, and both run in to their blockers a lot. Lendale caught flack last year and this offseason, but it's been pretty quiet since the year began. On the one hand, winning solves a lot of issues and the Titans are winning. On the other hand, as of yesterday, the Titans have had 2 RBs that look better then White, yet there is no discussion here of his work getting scaled back.For fair's sake, I like both Benson and WHite. Just trying to understand the disparity in disparagement.
I agree, they have looked like the same guy all year to me, except Benson has won a collision or two and shown some burst. Otherwise, you could switch the uniforms and barely tell them apart.

White didnt hold out deep into pre-season and then credit Chris Brown's success on himself, like Benson did w T Jones. I also dont hear White constantly making whiny, selfish statements in the press.
Fair enough . But Benson didn't start fights with teammates or spit on any of them.

Fair enough . But Benson didn't start fights with teammates or spit on any of them.
I just think that as high as Benson was going in drafts compared to LenDale, he's getting the brunt of the criticism for not producing. First Bears game I really saw beginning to end yesterday, and the guy just runs into his blockers time and time again. I can't possibly see this guy ever becoming good in the league. Peterson looked much better, and he definitely deserves a shot.

Was Lendale White considered a top 10 RB coming into this season? Has there been tons of hype on Lendale over the past 2 seasons? Have Titans fans continually said that White was a good RB just waiting for an opportunity?Lendale was ripped when he first got drafted because he was fat, slow and showed no dedication. There were very few people singing his praises. The more apt comparison right now would be Shaun Alexander. Granted, Alexander WAS a great RB, but he has been terrible this season and WAY underperforming where he was picked in most leagues.Criticizing Lendale White would be just as pointless as criticizing Anthony Thomas.

Serious question: why is Benson bashed regularly but Lendale White continues to get a free pass for essentially being the EXACT same guy. They both have low YPC, both have shown very little ability to make anyone miss, and both run in to their blockers a lot. Lendale caught flack last year and this offseason, but it's been pretty quiet since the year began. On the one hand, winning solves a lot of issues and the Titans are winning. On the other hand, as of yesterday, the Titans have had 2 RBs that look better then White, yet there is no discussion here of his work getting scaled back.

For fair's sake, I like both Benson and WHite. Just trying to understand the disparity in disparagement.
I just think that as high as Benson was going in drafts compared to LenDale, he's getting the brunt of the criticism for not producing. First Bears game I really saw beginning to end yesterday, and the guy just runs into his blockers time and time again. I can't possibly see this guy ever becoming good in the league. Peterson looked much better, and he definitely deserves a shot.
That's what I thought this thread was about. :thumbup:

The expectations of a guy drafted #4 overall are not going to be the same as a guy drafted in the middle of the second round. Ryan Leaf still gets killed, but do you ever hear people go nuts about a guy like Marques Tuiasosopo? Plus, while he has not looked spectacular his numbers are better than Bensons.

Saw someone make a comment about buying low on Benson. Even if he and his O-line somewhat pull it together, even if Griese performs and opens up the run game somewhat, they've got a rough week 13-16 schedule and if you're counting on Benson for your playoffs you're in a world of hurt.

Haven't seen the Bears at all this year. Is there any reason to believe that Benson will be productive in the NFL? Thinking about dumping him for Chris Henry in a dynasty league.

The expectations of a guy drafted #4 overall are not going to be the same as a guy drafted in the middle of the second round. Ryan Leaf still gets killed, but do you ever hear people go nuts about a guy like Marques Tuiasosopo? Plus, while he has not looked spectacular his numbers are better than Bensons.
This seems pretty obvious to me. Comparing Benson and White doesn't make much sense.

I am one of the unfortunate who drafted both. This statement nails it. What I could have gotten where I took Benson, and I mean guys that I could have easily talked myself into taking, is most likely highly out-producing Benson. Benson, Jacobs, Portis, Edge, MBIII sometimes... all guys I remember being clumped together in that end of Rd2/rd3 range.. and Benson is by far the worst to have.At least with White, who I took in rd9, I can't point to a lot of guys who went around him that are out-producing him. I also wasn't counting on White but for 2 weeks this year, unlike the guy you take the in 2nd round and hope can win ya some games.

You like them as FF running backs? Why?
Cant comment on Benson but as an owner whose had to start White as an RB2 the past 4 weeks due to injuries/bye weeks I can say that White is consistent (although unspectacular). He's given me double digit points 4 weeks in a row by consistently running for more than 50 yards a weeks and a TD. Not bad at all for an RB2.

Maybe they should plug Hester in at RB
If there is a single Benson supporter left, I just want to call that guy "STUBBORN", you know its coming, their is going to be 2 or three "Steve Wonders" saying how good he is, its just the line, its Greise, its the defense its anything but Benson.

If there is a single Benson supporter left, I just want to call that guy "STUBBORN", you know its coming, their is going to be 2 or three "Steve Wonders" saying how good he is, its just the line, its Greise, its the defense its anything but Benson.
I believe UT alumni living in Midland, TX are about the only die hards left. And only a handful of those.

I believe UT alumni living in Midland, TX are about the only die hards left. And only a handful of those.
I don't know. There's some around here that will avoid admitting being wrong at all costs. :football:

I don't know. There's some around here that will avoid admitting being wrong at all costs. :football:
He's horrible. He threw 4 picks and only called 13 running plays for himself today.

He's horrible. He threw 4 picks and only called 13 running plays for himself today.
And we have a winner folks, Maybe Chi Town QB's have to force the issue and throw picks because they know Benson will never, ever be able to carry the team. Man Has No Heart but you'll continue to sing his song. No Benson aint the only thing wrong with the Bears but he is NOT part of the solution. So you can continue to make cute little post there Ryan but there is no way anyone comes to any other conclusion than BENSON BLOWS.

13 carries for 50 yards isn't terrible by any means. If he was getting a consistent 25-30 carries like White and his team didn't suck he would be the same or better. I'm not going to say that he's a good running back, but the situation he's in is doing him no favors at all.

13 carries for 50 yards isn't terrible by any means. If he was getting a consistent 25-30 carries like White and his team didn't suck he would be the same or better. I'm not going to say that he's a good running back, but the situation he's in is doing him no favors at all.
Really where was he the rest of the season, your WRONG.

Really where was he the rest of the season, your WRONG.
In the same situation with a bad QB and a bad o-line? I don't see your point here.

Users who are viewing this thread