What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2013 (1 Viewer)

Listening to the new A$AP Rocky album. Lots of stuff here that I like, some that I don't. Good for a few listens."1 Train" has a pretty crazy lineup.

Foxygen album is really good, I will admit I am a little late to that one. Also like Foals 'Holy Fire' which was released today.

Pretty hard to believe he did it, but Kevin Shields made a record on par with You Made Me Realise, Isn't Anything, and Loveless. It's ####### awesome.

The Stone Foxes have a new album coming out in February that I am pretty excited about.
Two songs from the new album (releasing tomorrow) and their entire last album (which I fn love in its entirity) available here for free: http://noisetrade.com/thestonefoxes/bears--bull
Thanks for the link, downloaded it earlier :thumbup: Ive been aware of them for awhile, but never really followed up to give their albums a proper listen. When I heard their Im A King Bee cover on that liquor commercial (Jack Daniels' Honey?), I tracked down what band is was. Gave all their albums including the new one a listen today, right in my wheelhouse. I think their S/T debut is my favorite, but all 3 are good. The new one Small Fires definitely has a more expansive sound. The single, Everybody Knows, sounds like quintessential pre-Beggar's Banquet Rolling Stones. Good tune!

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Keys vs. Bieber beef.Pretty rich of Black Keys guy ####ting on somebody for making dough.
Dont know anything about this, but Auerbach said years ago they wanted to be as popular as possible, playing arenas, so good music was back as popular music and in the forefront. Now I definitely hear their music in more commercials and such than I care for (although I know they sued Pizza Hut and some other franchise for using their music illegally/without consent), and while I prefer their earlier albums, the music hasnt suffered in their rise to fame so I cant rip on them too much.

Black Keys vs. Bieber beef.Pretty rich of Black Keys guy ####ting on somebody for making dough.
Dont know anything about this, but Auerbach said years ago they wanted to be as popular as possible, playing arenas, so good music was back as popular music and in the forefront. Now I definitely hear their music in more commercials and such than I care for (although I know they sued Pizza Hut and some other franchise for using their music illegally/without consent), and while I prefer their earlier albums, the music hasnt suffered in their rise to fame so I cant rip on them too much.
So ideologically, how are they any different from Bieber? If someone wants their music in car commercials that's fine, but there's more than a faint whiff of hypocrisy here.

So ideologically, how are they any different from Bieber? If someone wants their music in car commercials that's fine, but there's more than a faint whiff of hypocrisy here.
Ideologically, probably not much. My point was theyre huge but theyre actually still making good music unlike Bieber and 97% of popular music. Call them sellouts if you want, but the music wasnt sacrificed to get to where they are.

Black Keys vs. Bieber beef.

Pretty rich of Black Keys guy ####ting on somebody for making dough.
So ideologically, how are they any different from Bieber?

If someone wants their music in car commercials that's fine, but there's more than a faint whiff of hypocrisy here.
They're getting rich and famous by writing and creating good music where Bieber is getting rich and famous for having an army of others writing and creating bad music for him and then just being a cute kid who can dance?And yes, they have "sold-out", but that doesn't mean what it used to. I think Ian MacKaye is probably the lone man standing who wont budge with having somebody PAY HIM to get his music heard to a broader audience.

If you're a sellout on the level of the Black Keys, and you can't sell 100 records without Danger Mouse, you should probably shut the #### up

If someone wants their music in car commercials that's fine, but there's more than a faint whiff of hypocrisy here.
They're getting rich and famous by writing and creating good music where Bieber is getting rich and famous for having an army of others writing and creating bad music for him and then just being a cute kid who can dance?And yes, they have "sold-out", but that doesn't mean what it used to. I think Ian MacKaye is probably the lone man standing who wont budge with having somebody PAY HIM to get his music heard to a broader audience.
Patsy Cline didn't write or arrange a lot of the songs that she sang. Is she a sellout too?

Patsy Cline didn't write or arrange a lot of the songs that she sang. Is she a sellout too?
You asked how they are ideologically different. I answered you. I'm not getting into a ninth grade argument over who is a sellout and why. I know Dan and took exception to the idea that he has done anything to take away from the quality or integrity of his music. You won't meet anybody as dedicated as he is to doing things the right way. After the music is done, if people want to give him money to spread it around, he's happy to take it.

You asked how they are ideologically different. I answered you. I'm not getting into a ninth grade argument over who is a sellout and why. I know Dan and took exception to the idea that he has done anything to take away from the quality or integrity of his music. You won't meet anybody as dedicated as he is to doing things the right way. After the music is done, if people want to give him money to spread it around, he's happy to take it.
Seems to me that he has done a considerable amount more when it comes to making money than sit back passively and accept what's given to him, not that there's anything nothing wrong with that, imo.

You asked how they are ideologically different. I answered you. I'm not getting into a ninth grade argument over who is a sellout and why.
I don't care who is a "sell out" and who isn't. I listen to plenty of music that's used in commercials and such. I love the Ramones, and they made a lot of ####ty records as an attempt to get on the radio. But you're saying one makes good music and one makes crummy music, which is completely subjective. Even someone as snooty as yourself has to realize this on some level. Similarly, I'm sure that you also realize that a team of producers can make a song that's superior to a song that some guy just makes alone in his bedroom.

I know Dan
"Excuse me sir, you dropped something."
and took exception to the idea that he has done anything to take away from the quality or integrity of his music.
I never said anything of the sort. I only pointed out the hypocrisy of him saying that Justin Bieber cares about money, and he cares about music. They're both professional musicians. They both make music that is -- to varying degrees -- commercially accessible. They both allow their music to be used by gigantic corporations to sell their products, in exchange for money. I don't have a problem with any of these things, but again, they're fundamentally the same.

Ideologically, probably not much. My point was theyre huge but theyre actually still making good music unlike Bieber and 97% of popular music. Call them sellouts if you want, but the music wasnt sacrificed to get to where they are.
:goodposting: The Black Keys made nice, radio-friendly music that's actually good. I don't understand the Bieber comparison.

I texted Pat to see if he wants to chime in.In other news, Brian Bosworth is into the xx:http://deadspin.com/5984076/brian-bosworth-had-a-real-nice-time-at-the-xx-concert

Anyone else digging the Growlers? It's definitely very washed out, surfer rock, and sounds like it is from 1965, but I am a loving this album. I am glad Apple Jack's buddy didn't end up producing it, this raw sound compliments their style so well.

Anyone else digging the Growlers? It's definitely very washed out, surfer rock, and sounds like it is from 1965, but I am a loving this album. I am glad Apple Jack's buddy didn't end up producing it, this raw sound compliments their style so well.
I'll check it. Sounds rad.

Someone mentioned it, but it bears repeating here: The Mavericks have a new album coming out in January.
:yes: I think I mentioned it in other threads. They moved the release back from Sept to Jan to Feb 26, but they increased from 10 songs to 14. They also came up with a much better cover for the record. I've heard about half the songs live and it is may be their finest work ever. Paul Deakin described it to me as similar to Trampoline, which is their best album in my opinion.
Leaked. Sounds very strong.

I am enjoying Toro Y Moi's new one, but I'm not sure how well it stands up against Causers of This and Underneath the Pine. Almost seems less chillwave electronic and more funk. I was always bound to like this cause he's one of my favorites of the past 3-4 years...so this is #1 on my list so far, but I doubt it holds up.

For those into straight up alt-rock, minus the /indie/country/folk/new wave/psychedelic vibes, check out

. If you are into bands like Muse,Soundgarden or Silversun Pickups, I have to image you would dig this.

'Leroy Hoard said:
Still no talk of the MBV record? The last three tracks are easily the best stretch of music I've heard so far this year.
I have heard it's outstanding, but it isn't on Spotify yet.
youtubers of each song
I can listen to the end of in another way and all of wonder 2 on an endless loop until the cows come home.
A couple of the other songs are a little too "sleepy" but those two songs and a few others I really like a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread