What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (5 Viewers)

Just got done making this ridiculous yearly call again...

I have the Choice Xtra +HD DVR package which base is 82.99 plus all the dumb fees and such. Been with em for years, not sure how many. Was told I am under no contract.

First lady offered me a discount of $30 a month for 6 months off of my monthly service. She added a discount of $20 off Sunday Ticket per month for 6 months. This adds up to a total of $300 over 6 months and regular price of ST is 323.94 so I asked if I could roll it all into one burrito and pay them $25 and have Sunday Ticket and my monthly bill can be what it is, and she said NOPE. I cannot do everything all at once to your account, even when I explained that is exactly what I did last year when I essentially got ST down to a one time $60 bill. Told he to have a nice day and after talking with the wife I will probably be calling back to cancel Dtv since having no ST makes it pointless. I do not want to pay installments for ST..one time price is only way to go.

(insert 5 minute stretch so as to not pull anything on next call)

Second lady listened to me describe the above and I told he that I felt the first lady didn't sound like she understood math and I felt I needed to hear another opinion. After some key tapping in the background, she came back and said I can give $250 off ST which will bring it to 84.95 one time. I said "okay but is that everything or is that just ST" and she said "just ST and you also will get the 30 off your service for the next 6 months. Then I also cancelled the 5.99 protection fee cuz I will take my chances since I have never had issue and this will further reduce my bill.

So, it isn't the $60 I got it for last year but $85 is cool with me. I really hate that we have to do this dumb dance every year to achieve the goal but whatever. Good luck to the rest of ya and hopefully my numbers help someone else get there. Oh, and I still have no contract...forget that nonsense.

just called and got the ST for $140. had to pay it up front

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would help to list what your monthly bill is and then also the incentives you received. Normally the offer is related to the monthly spend/revenue.

Called and l got $20 off per month for next 12 months and $170 off Sunday Ticket. Will pay balance of ST off in 6 monthly payments.

Let me say this about the customer service with Directv. I have been with them off and on for about 7 years. When I would call them and tell them I wanted to cancel, they would give me pretty much anything I wanted to stay. Worked every year.

When I moved, Dish had a great offer to switch so I did. I loved getting just the redzone channel, it was great, but when I called and threatened to leave, they said "we are sorry to lose your business, we will send out the return labels and boxes for your recievers in the morning." I was stunned. I said, I guess you dont care to lose a customer. The lady replied that she was sorry to see me go but I had the best offer already in place.

So I left...every time I call Directv they hook me up. My advice to those of you out there, dont switch to DISH. If you have DISH, switch to DTV and ask for the moon when you do, they will give it to you. If you tell them you want the special with no contract, they will do it if you are persistent.

I think it would help to list what your monthly bill is and then also the incentives you received. Normally the offer is related to the monthly spend/revenue.
I have one of the top packages with all the movie channels. I called and told them I was disappointed that they were offering sunday ticket for free to new customers and were not taking care of their loyal customers and said I was going to switch to dish. They gave me $40 off a month for 6 months and a free dvr upgrade. So getting the sunday ticket for basically $78(6 payments of $13). She also said to call back after the 6 months are up and they can offer me more discounts.

Called today.

$20 off for 6 mos

$10 off for 12 mos

Not much leverage since I have over a year left on my contract.

of course Dtv wanted to give me half off but I knew going I had no contract and demanded certain things or I was leaving. Each time I call Dtv, I call ALL the other cable providers in my areas and write down their offers and packages. I then call Dtv.

I told Dtv that this other provider's offer was better and I'm leaving.

Told them I want free Sunday ticket

$10 off bill for 2 years

showtime for 6 months free for my wife.(dexter starts soon)

Got all I asked for. Free Sunday ticket.

What did you say to them?
that i was looking to switch to dish. also, say cancel when you get the auto opbeen with them since 95 and I have my bill set to auto paytalked to some guys yesterday that have had the ST for years. I asked if they ever got an discounts on the ST. both said they have also paid full price.

best they offered me was ST for $20 off a month for 6 mos. Been with them since 2008. no thanks.

He said he would put a note on my account in case i changed my mind. not gonna happen at that price, but I'll call back later this week to see if I can get them to drop it. Not a huge deal if they won't, will just watch the games online

What did you say to them?
that i was looking to switch to dish. also, say cancel when you get the auto opbeen with them since 95 and I have my bill set to auto paytalked to some guys yesterday that have had the ST for years. I asked if they ever got an discounts on the ST. both said they have also paid full price.
That's my dilemma with them. Only been a customer for about a year now.

Called to cancel NFL Ticket, got disconnected, called back, went to the "cancel DIRECTV service" group, told them about my dropped call and that I was annoyed at the automatic bill. He asked what I wanted and I said "same deal as last year", which was $200 for the Ticket. He quickly added six $20 credits dropping the price to $203 or so. I'm happy with that

talked to someone lastweek and she wouldn't play ball and misquoted some info to me.

called today when i found out i was misquoted info and was prepared to go to dish network.

got sunday ticket for a 1 time fee of $153, free hd for 2 years, $10 off of my package for 2 years.

Called today. $20 off for 6 mos$10 off for 12 mosNot much leverage since I have over a year left on my contract.
Got this same plan today. 6pmts of 56 = 336 - 240. NFL costing me 100 bucks. That I'll pay. Not seeing or being offered these deals where I get a new tuner and all channels and the ticket for free. Prolly cause NFL is the only extra we get. iTunes for movies.

Called today, $30 off for 6 months, HD DVR receiver($200) free of charge and they waived the $20 Delivery and Handling fee. So all together its worth $400.

Called to cancel NFL Ticket, got disconnected, called back, went to the "cancel DIRECTV service" group, told them about my dropped call and that I was annoyed at the automatic bill. He asked what I wanted and I said "same deal as last year", which was $200 for the Ticket. He quickly added six $20 credits dropping the price to $203 or so. I'm happy with that
Same thing happened to me today with the disconnect.I called back in and told them dish costs 7 bucks for red zone, and i wanted to cancel Ticket while i decide. Best i was offered was 20 bucks off for 6 months. No thanks, i cancelled the ticket, and will decide what i do later on.Monthly bill is 115, and customer since 2002.They seem to have tightened the ship a bit. . .

Called a couple weeks ago because was switching to cable internet and they made me a nice offer. DTV gave me $35 off a month for a year and a $250 credit toward Sunday Ticket.

Same thing happened to me today with the disconnect.I called back in and told them dish costs 7 bucks for red zone, and i wanted to cancel Ticket while i decide. Best i was offered was 20 bucks off for 6 months. No thanks, i cancelled the ticket, and will decide what i do later on.Monthly bill is 115, and customer since 2002.They seem to have tightened the ship a bit. . .
You quit too easily. I despise haggling but this has to be done. 1- Don't ever actually cancel. tell them you will think about it and call back then hang-up2- Before hanging up ask them if that is really the best they can do? Can they throw something else in there?3- Call 2,3 even 4 times if needed. Total PITA but sometimes necessary4- persistence, eventually you can get a good offer. I have even told them about offers "my friends" (posted here) got.5- One thing that will work against you is if you are under contract or have other older discounts currently still on your bill. If they offer credit take it as a one-time or 6 month. Not 12 month as it will still show up next year when you have to make this call again.Good luck!

I've been a direct tv customer for YEARS.. they will give you discounts etc. off of sunday ticket, BUT.. you have to MAKE SURE that the discounts show up on your bill..I found that direct tv will SAY ANYTHING to get you to stay, but their words dont mean much. You have to be a bill scrutinizer and really be organized if you are a direct tv customer or else you really won't see the discounts they promise..I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about this, and hopefully it helps someone to avoid paying un-necessary fees.

I have been a customer since 2009 (no longer within a contract) and I received the following offer when I called Monday:

[*]Free Sunday Ticket

[*]Free Sunday Ticket-to-Go

[*]$25 credit for 12 months

[*]Additional $10 savings from bundling with AT&T bill

This is annually one of the best threads of the year. :thumbup:

best they offered me was ST for $20 off a month for 6 mos. Been with them since 2008. no thanks.

He said he would put a note on my account in case i changed my mind. not gonna happen at that price, but I'll call back later this week to see if I can get them to drop it. Not a huge deal if they won't, will just watch the games online
where? i heard they shut most of those sites down earlier this year.

Just called. Been a customer since 2001, so they usually hook me up.

Told them that Dish was giving me a big push and their having the Red Zone finally made it viable. She offered $20 off Sunday Ticker for 6 months (so $120 off) and I told her that DISH was offering me a lot more to leave, plus it was kind of offensive that DTV is giving new customers the Ticket for free and here I am, a customer of more than 10 years, having to jump through hoops.

She put me on hold, and came back with:

*** $20 off Sunday Ticker per month ($120)

*** $50 one time credit

*** $5 off HBO per month for a year

*** Continued waiver of my HD fees ($10 per month x 12 = $120)

*** Free Sunday Ticket to GO :pickle: ($60 value)

*** $50 credit toward pay-per-views

So all in I got $460 of "discounts" which completely erases the list price of Sunday Ticket and To Go.

:thumbup:

Just made the annual call. DTV and Sunday Ticket customer since 1999, still under contract thru July 2012. We have Whole Home DVR and 4 HD DVRs. This year's deal:

NFL Sunday Ticket 6 payments @ $53.99 = $323.94

Offset by total credits $439.83

6 months @ $20 off ($120.00)

24 months @ $5 off ($120.00)

Starz and Showtime free 6 months ($149.88)

NFL To-Go free ($49.95)

Plus, there is no extension to my contract - I'll be a free agent for next summer's call!

Remember to talk only with customer retention (say cancel service twice at the voice prompts), be polite but persistent, and call back if needed.

Good luck to everyone.

Just spoke to Customer Retention (said "cancel service" during the prompts). Didn't mess around - got straight to the point. Told her I wasn't happy because a couple of my friends got offered big discounts for Sunday Ticket and despite having a montly bill of over $100 I wasn't offered anything by the last customer service person I had spoken to (I actually hadn't spoken to anyone).

She was very cooperative - she told me she could give me an instant $250 credit toward ST. She said "will that work"? I told her that was great but my friends also got NFL To Go thrown in for free. She said she couldn't do that. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said that the supervisor wouldn't be able to do anything she couldn't. She put me on hold for a minute and when she came back she told me she could give me another $50 credit (which is the same price as NFL To Go). Told her we had a "deal"....didn't have to re-up on my contract either. So, all together $300 credit toward $400 in services (ST + NFL TG).

Good luck!

Edited for typos - I've always suxed on the keyboard.

as someone who calls every year, always opt for the option where the credits are done within 6 months. If you take the 12 month or 24 month credits, even if they are $5, you are going to have more trouble getting a good deal next year. You pretty much can only have 2 'credits' on your account at any time and if you have an active one it is more difficult to negotiate. They aren't as friendly...

Long time DT customer. Said i was furious that they would offer ST for free to new customers and im loyal and i have to pay full price. Dude put me on a silent hold for 2 min. Came back and said he could give me $30 off my bill for 6 months. I mentioned the ST TO GOand how i thought it was overpriced. Another 2 minute hold. Came back and said he would include the ST TO GO for free. I probably could have asked for more but decided to take what he was offering. Well worth the 10 minute phone call.

Just got off the phone with Cody. I call every year, but this was my first call this year and by far the easiest "negotiation" I've ever had with DirecTV. I got:

$125 one-time credit

$20 credit for 12 months

$20 credit for 6 months

$5 credit for 6 months

free To Go

Total actual savings (not counting free To Go) = $515

That was exhausting. $15 off per month over the next 2 years. blah blah blah.... you get the renewal discount... blah blah blah. End result is that the discount cancels out the cost of the NFL ticket.

Got a very nice young woman from alabama... ended up with the ST for $120 plus $5 off for 24 months. Easiest phone call I've made all year. Took 10 mins.

Made the call yesteday, spoke to Timothy. Basically told him my wife wants us to switch to Dish as the package they have is $20/month cheaper and I could get RedZone channel instead. Currently, we are paying $60/month for our package plan. He said he could give me $20 off for 6 months. I told him I wanted it for 12 months because I didn't want to call back in 6 months just to extend the discount. He said that was fine, so $20 off for 12 months.

Then discussed the Sunday Ticket and asked what he could do to lower that as I still wanted to keep the ticket. He offered $20 off x 6 months for the ticket - told him I'd seen better discounts, and preferred a one-time credit instead. He came back and said he could do $125. I told him I'd seen people getting upwards of $250, and he countered that the best he could do was $150 one time credit. I told him I could probably swing that, but thought if that was the best he could do, I'd like him to throw in the to-go for free. He checked, and said that was fine. Ended up getting a $200 one-time credit off the bill.

In total, $440 in credits towards the bill. Not as huge as some of the deals in here, but to basically lower our monthly bill by $5-6 over the next year and get the Ticket was well worth it.

Just called (no contract currently)

Free Sunday Ticket (I was not previously a ST subscriber)

Free ST To Go

$5 credit x 24 months

I'll add what I did and got for those who might be uncomfortable on the thought of haggling.

I called up Dish last night and got some quotes. Their Top 120 for $35 (jumps to $50 after 6 months), $7 Multi-sport to get Red Zone, DVR $6, and free HD for Life for a $47 bill for 6 months, $62 after that.

Called up the help line. Said Cancel Service twice and got on the line with someone. Told her I'd recently referred them a new customer, mostly because of Sunday Ticket (which is all true), and while I appreciated the $100 discount from the referral, I was a bit frustrated at just how cheaply they were getting things and I wasn't.

Told them I'd loved having Sunday Ticket in the past, but once I got Texans season tickets I only am home to use Sunday Ticket half the weeks it is on. That I wished they had a weekly package for it (she said that they did which was news to me!). But that I'd started pricing Dish and found I was going to be able to get it for about half the price and it would have Red Zone that I don't get now on DTV. Said I'd been with them for a long time (about 15 years now) and wasn't looking forward to switching, but the price was just too much.

She immediately offered me Sunday Ticket for free, and then checked some deals and offered me $20 off for 12 months.

I told her about some receiver problems I'm having (also all completely true), sometimes it goes non-responsive on me for 10 seconds at a time, or channels go purple when I change them until they finally seem to lock in. Mentioned I'd been unhappy when they went to on demand as it was using up my receiver hard drive and I had to delete shows unwatched as a result.

She is getting me a new receiver for free, I tried to get them to make it an upgrade in terms of disk size but she said that was something she didn't have any control over what they would send out.

Overall, quite happy with what they gave me.

$40 off for 7 years

Free Sunday Ticket for life

Complimentary breakfast at any Super 8

1/2 price massages at Whole Foods

No discount on ppv adult channels but instead of 3 hour block get 7 hours

2 pairs of refurbished New Balances

3 weeks free of Zone diet

$5 off Lee Iaccoca biography

$47 cash

Meet and greet with Man vs. Food guy

keychain

What's amazing to me about this thread is that it seems there's no singular deal they offer, but rather a series of almost random incentives based on who you speak to and what your profile is within their system.

$40 off for 7 yearsFree Sunday Ticket for lifeComplimentary breakfast at any Super 81/2 price massages at Whole FoodsNo discount on ppv adult channels but instead of 3 hour block get 7 hours2 pairs of refurbished New Balances3 weeks free of Zone diet$5 off Lee Iaccoca biography$47 cashMeet and greet with Man vs. Food guykeychain
You can't beat that at Cas Walker's

What's amazing to me about this thread is that it seems there's no singular deal they offer, but rather a series of almost random incentives based on who you speak to and what your profile is within their system.
this part and how much a PITA you are

Just got off the phone. I told the first customer service person that I wanted to cancel my NFL Ticket because of the $360 price. He said hold on! You get the early bird price of $330 (something like that). I said no thanks, just give me the red zone channel for $7.00. Sorry we dont offer just that. Sure you do! I saw the commercial for it the other night. Sir thats the dish network. Oh, ok let me speak to someone about cancelling my account. A woman comes on, I explain the my wife is going to kill me over $330 NFL ticket so I want to cancel and go to the dish network.

15 minutes later I received the following:

NFL Ticket for: $169.00 spread over 4 monthly payments

$5 off Show Time & Starz for 6 months (we are currently paying $6) = $30 savings

$6.50 off of HBO & Cinemax for 6 moths (we were currently paying $10) = $39 savings

$5.00 off base package for 6 months = $30 savings

$15.00 off our total bill for 24 months = $360 savings

Just got off the phone.

Sunday ticket and Sunday ticket to go for $169.95.

Free HBO-Showtime-Skinemax for 6 months.

I'm happy

Pretty similar to everyone else. Just got off the phone. I am a Premier Customer for 5 years.

Called to cancel and I am not on a contract.

Told the guy my bill was too much and he offered to switch me to a lesser plan. I countered with same play lesser price and told him I was checking with competition and could get the same thing for about $100 with

xfinity comcast. (True btw in Houston area- Phone, Pro internet w/modem, Premier HD/DRV TV package including NFL Channel and Redzone, HD/DVR box, plus 2 HD boxes is $184/month plus tax.. Price is good for $12 months with no contract.)

Nice fellow at Direct TV countered with

$20 off x 12 months

$10 off x 6 months ( It was Free HD for six months so)

$5 off x 24 months

$10 off x 6 months ($10 off of my Showtime and HBO bill for 6 months.)

So that is $480 off if I stay with them for 24 months plus whatever I would get thrown in later.

I can also get another $10 off 24 months if I sign up for automatic billpay which I will do if I stay.

He then had to switch me to NFL customer service for Sunday Ticket Discount

Nice lady there offered me

$20 off x 6 payments

Free Superfan (I believe this was free already but didn't stop her.)

Free To go package. ($50)

So that dropped my Sunday Ticket from $323 to $203.

Still might switch to Comcast though...

Called under contract for 18 months stll, but he was able to cut it in half and throw in the on the go for free. Took it. Maybe couldof haggled a little more, but being under contract did not want to push my luck

Just called (no contract currently)

Free Sunday Ticket (I was not previously a ST subscriber)

Free ST To Go

$5 credit x 24 months
how did you swing that?
Just explained that I had seen new customers were getting the ST for free and he told me I would get a better deal than any new customer. He began by offering the ST for free, along with the $5 AT&T credit. I asked about ST to Go and he added that as well. I took it and it did not extend my contract. I can still cancel in January.

How do you guys find out how much longer you have on your contract with DTV, and when any current credits expire? I'd like to find this out before I call so I know what tactic to employ in my quest!

Katie took my call. I mentioned that it was unfair that new customers were getting Ticket for free and I have been customer for nine years. Plus since my wife and I are expecting new baby this year, I couldn't justify spending that much. She came back with "How about $20 per month off the Ticket price? Would that help with the finances?" I said is there anything else you could possibly do? She said no. "Ok, then please remove Ticket from my programming." A long silence..."Ok, it's been removed. Is there anything else today?"

For the first time in sevene years, I will be Ticketless. :cry:

Anybody thought about making switch to Dish? The main reason I chose Direct was because of the Ticket. No need to stay now. I know everyone on this thread, obviously, are DTV customers, but is Dish pretty compareable with regards to price and service. I will research, but any thoughts would be appreciated. THX

Users who are viewing this thread