What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (3 Viewers)

Got back today. Disney is awesome. Foreigners dominate in the MILF category. Americans are fat. And Homer should never ever go there. :o
You take your kid or go herphunting? Where'd you stay? Would you recommend it or no?
Kid. My folks rented a four bedroom house, 20 minute drive from the parks. Since your kid isn't in school yet the main thing would be to avoid the peak seasons. Take advantage of that flexibility while you have it.

Family time was fun, but I need to go get drunk and make poor decisions now.
I thought all 3 of these defined the Disney Experience.

Is staying at one of the resorts in downtown Disney a negative? We are looking at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but feel like being in the Epcot or Magic Kingdom area by the monorail would be much better/easier.

Same thinking applies for Animal Kingdom.

Is staying at one of the resorts in downtown Disney a negative? We are looking at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but feel like being in the Epcot or Magic Kingdom area by the monorail would be much better/easier. Same thinking applies for Animal Kingdom.
I've stayed at Saratoga Springs twice and don't know that I'd stay anywhere else. Very relaxing, you can walk to Downtown Disney (or take a short boat/bus), etc. I'd recommend getting at least a 1 bedroom, but I think that goes for any Disney resort. The studio is like a regular hotel room. The one bedrooms have have better bathrooms (separate shower and a jetted tub) and a kitchen. It's much more of a resort feel over being just in a hotel. As far as getting around, we were more than happy with the bus services.

Is staying at one of the resorts in downtown Disney a negative? We are looking at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but feel like being in the Epcot or Magic Kingdom area by the monorail would be much better/easier. Same thinking applies for Animal Kingdom.
I've stayed at Saratoga Springs twice and don't know that I'd stay anywhere else. Very relaxing, you can walk to Downtown Disney (or take a short boat/bus), etc. I'd recommend getting at least a 1 bedroom, but I think that goes for any Disney resort. The studio is like a regular hotel room. The one bedrooms have have better bathrooms (separate shower and a jetted tub) and a kitchen. It's much more of a resort feel over being just in a hotel. As far as getting around, we were more than happy with the bus services.
How long is that bus ride? And what is going on in Downtown Disney? This would be the first time I am going as an adult so I don't remember any of this stuff.

How long is that bus ride? And what is going on in Downtown Disney? This would be the first time I am going as an adult so I don't remember any of this stuff.
You might wait 10 minutes at the bus stop and ride another 10 minutes. They drop you off near the front of each park, so the total trip is typically in the 20-30 minute range from door to door. For us it's a time to chat with the kids about what they want to do, and get a plan together for the day. On the way back it's a good wind down time.Downtown Disney has a lot of restaurants, stores, and a few attractions. Cirque de Soliel is there. It's also the more "adult" area. Bars, etc.

Just booked 7 nights at Kidani Village (Savannah View) for next October - both Food & Wine AND MNSSHP (Mickey's Halloween party) going on! :pickle:

I'm sure there's a ton of information in here that I looked at some time ago, but I don't have 46 pages worth of time or patience atm. Can somebody give me the Cliff's Notes version of best places to stay for 2 thirty-something juveniles and a 4 year old? And anything else you REALLY think I should be aware of before going down there.
What do you want to know Sac

Old Key West is our favorite spot. I can't think of any negatives for it save the bus ride to the Magic Kingdom is a little longer than you would like.

When planning a stay, I always look at what parks we are going to and book lodging closer, but I really don't think you can go wrong at any of them. Taking buses to me is much better than driving myself around that place. Really like all the resorts around DD.

When planning a stay, I always look at what parks we are going to and book lodging closer, but I really don't think you can go wrong at any of them. Taking buses to me is much better than driving myself around that place. Really like all the resorts around DD.
I used to agree with the bus v car thing until our last trip. We always drive down there so we always have our car and until our last trip we never considered using it given the bus options. But I have to be honest, some times it was great to have the car. Especially for things like extra magic hours at night - the way they have parking lots and access to them set up it really works very very well.Of course, you have to get used to the internal highways which can be confusing as hell if you aren't down there a lot.

'Yankee23Fan said:
'Osaurus said:
I used to agree with the bus v car thing until our last trip. We always drive down there so we always have our car and until our last trip we never considered using it given the bus options. But I have to be honest, some times it was great to have the car. Especially for things like extra magic hours at night - the way they have parking lots and access to them set up it really works very very well.Of course, you have to get used to the internal highways which can be confusing as hell if you aren't down there a lot.
You drive from Jersey? How long does it take you? I would love that because I hate to fly but cant imagine the wife going for it, and having 2 little ones would make it pretty hard.

'Yankee23Fan said:
'Osaurus said:
You drive from Jersey? How long does it take you? I would love that because I hate to fly but cant imagine the wife going for it, and having 2 little ones would make it pretty hard.
About 17 hours. We usually will elave very very early in the morning so our son sleeps for the first few hours. You get to DC in about 2 1/2 - 3 hours and if we timed his sleeping schedule right he will wake up about an hour into Virginia. Sometimes we stay somewhere in Georgia for the night if we just get too tired for whatever reason or if one of our eating/bathroom/stretch legs stops took too long.We load the car up with everything to keep him occupied and he does fine. TV, video games, books, snacks, all of it. IT helps that he just has that temperment of adventure for the most part - we usually will play games along the way like license plate catch - he's gotten so good and into it that he looks for them when we are just going to the store. Stuff like that. IT's really not that bad. We used to drive to the Keys too - that is rough. 23 hours nonstop - really sucks when you finally get to Florida and realize you still have about 7 hours. But for Disney as soon as you hit Jacksonville you get a second wind knowing you're close. We usually also stop at the outlets in Orlando and load up on stuff from the Disney outlet. Can't beat that - got a $150 pull over last year for like $20.

'Yankee23Fan said:
'Osaurus said:
I can see this for non-local folks (which make up most folks at Disney). We usually stay over a long weekend going to MK, EPCOT, or the other two in a day. if I stayed there for a longer period of time where extended hours were happening, I would consider driving too.

'Yankee23Fan said:
'Osaurus said:
I can see this for non-local folks (which make up most folks at Disney). We usually stay over a long weekend going to MK, EPCOT, or the other two in a day. if I stayed there for a longer period of time where extended hours were happening, I would consider driving too.
Explain this to me like I'm a foreigner to this world the rest of you seem to live in.

'AcerFC said:
I'm sure there's a ton of information in here that I looked at some time ago, but I don't have 46 pages worth of time or patience atm. Can somebody give me the Cliff's Notes version of best places to stay for 2 thirty-something juveniles and a 4 year old? And anything else you REALLY think I should be aware of before going down there.
I guess I'm really down to looking for hints or tips or whatever you want to call it from the people with experience here. Flight's booked. Hotel's now booked (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Arusha View). I used the link from YF23's post earleir in the thread, and unless somebody tells me otherwise I'll probably be buying tickets through Undercover Tourist. I made a reservation for the only time that was available all week at Ohana, though I'll check back periodically and see if anything earlier in the day opens up at all. We actually are getting a car because we're going to take a day and head to a beach, just to kind of break up the theme park hustle and bustle and whatnot. So, what's the deal with magic hours? And what times do people recommend grabbing shuttles out to the parks? And what's the Speedpass deal? And Park Hopper vs. No Expiration vs. Standard Pass - what's the concensus opinion? And I'm sure things that have been covered 1,000 times in this thread already and things you guys are sick of answering. And if I have to search/read through all this at some point to get to those, I will. But if someone were willing to just give some tdoss notes on it all, that'd be great, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some (or all) of the parks have extended hours for guests staying on property. MK is usually Sunday night/Monday morning and I thought EPCOT opened earlier, but I don't remember the days. You can check the schedule to see all of them. HTH.

See, and even when I think I know things, it turns out I don't know things. I knew there was a meal plan. But then I see, "Eligible for wine plan."

WINE PLAN!?!

There's a wine plan at Disney? This might be where Mr. Sacamano bends Mickey over and makes him catch for once. :excited:

'AcerFC said:
I guess I'm really down to looking for hints or tips or whatever you want to call it from the people with experience here. Flight's booked. Hotel's now booked (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Arusha View). I used the link from YF23's post earleir in the thread, and unless somebody tells me otherwise I'll probably be buying tickets through Undercover Tourist. I made a reservation for the only time that was available all week at Ohana, though I'll check back periodically and see if anything earlier in the day opens up at all. We actually are getting a car because we're going to take a day and head to a beach, just to kind of break up the theme park hustle and bustle and whatnot. So, what's the deal with magic hours? And what times do people recommend grabbing shuttles out to the parks? And what's the Speedpass deal? And Park Hopper vs. No Expiration vs. Standard Pass - what's the concensus opinion? And I'm sure things that have been covered 1,000 times in this thread already and things you guys are sick of answering. And if I have to search/read through all this at some point to get to those, I will. But if someone were willing to just give some tdoss notes on it all, that'd be great, too.
Can you provide the link for the lazy.

'AcerFC said:
Here

'AcerFC said:
Here
Was looking for the link to book the cheapest trip. YK23 link. Non Hamwife

'AcerFC said:
We stayed at AK Lodge recently and liked driving to the other parks. Since you are a bit out of the way there (other to AK) it was nice to be able to get on a bus and get right there. Since parking is free if you are staying at resort nothing extra for it. Think magic hours is really extended hours for guests staying on location at certain parks. Note that at Animal Kingdom the late hours don't do much since all the animal exhibits shut down on schedule.

'AcerFC said:
We stayed at AK Lodge recently and liked driving to the other parks. Since you are a bit out of the way there (other to AK) it was nice to be able to get on a bus and get right there. Since parking is free if you are staying at resort nothing extra for it. Think magic hours is really extended hours for guests staying on location at certain parks. Note that at Animal Kingdom the late hours don't do much since all the animal exhibits shut down on schedule.
So, the Magic Hours for Magic Kingdom are only for people staying at MK hotels? Or can you abuse, er um, use those while staying at AK as well? Anybody stay at Polynesian? I was considering going that route, but figured the view of the savanna would be a nicer option than a crap view in a better overall location.

'AcerFC said:
So, the Magic Hours for Magic Kingdom are only for people staying at MK hotels? Or can you abuse, er um, use those while staying at AK as well? Anybody stay at Polynesian? I was considering going that route, but figured the view of the savanna would be a nicer option than a crap view in a better overall location.
Extra MAgic Hours are extra night or morning hours when any of the 4 parks open early or stay open late solely for guests staying at any Disney Resort. You don't have to stay at a hotel near MK to use MK extra magic hours. Usually the morning EMH are only 1 hour, while the night EMH are usually 3 hours. You have to get a wrist band after showing your Disney REsort key card so that ride operaters know you an EMH guest. It doesn't take ny further money or reservations or anything, it just comes with your Disney resort stay.It's really great for the really really packed rides when they are crowded all day. Good rule of thumb - once EMH start at night don't run to rides right away. Stop somewhere and get a snack. That way the initial rush dies down and the lines, if any, are really really short.

'AcerFC said:
YankeeFan covered the extended hours stuff better than I could. As to the hotel. It was awesome and the savanna views were great and we had animals right outside our balcony.

'AcerFC said:
Extra MAgic Hours are extra night or morning hours when any of the 4 parks open early or stay open late solely for guests staying at any Disney Resort. You don't have to stay at a hotel near MK to use MK extra magic hours. Usually the morning EMH are only 1 hour, while the night EMH are usually 3 hours. You have to get a wrist band after showing your Disney REsort key card so that ride operaters know you an EMH guest. It doesn't take ny further money or reservations or anything, it just comes with your Disney resort stay.It's really great for the really really packed rides when they are crowded all day. Good rule of thumb - once EMH start at night don't run to rides right away. Stop somewhere and get a snack. That way the initial rush dies down and the lines, if any, are really really short.
Thanks.

I guess I'm really down to looking for hints or tips or whatever you want to call it from the people with experience here. Flight's booked. Hotel's now booked (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Arusha View). I used the link from YF23's post earleir in the thread, and unless somebody tells me otherwise I'll probably be buying tickets through Undercover Tourist. I made a reservation for the only time that was available all week at Ohana,
Smart man. You will be so in love with your choice that you will forgive yourself the glutony that commences once you enter the great O'Hana. It is without question the greatest dining experience in the history of food. I'm jealous.
though I'll check back periodically and see if anything earlier in the day opens up at all.
If you are willing to eat your meals a little off the normal time, chances are you should be able to find some decent reservations throughout the entire complex. That doesn't go for all places as some are just constantly booked - Le Cellier in Canada is one such place. We've walked up to places a little off peak time and done well. They do their best to try to fit you in and if you don't waiting a little you should be good to go. HAving said that, having reservations is still the best way to go. You can over reserve and simply not use them all and there is no harm no foul on that.
We actually are getting a car because we're going to take a day and head to a beach, just to kind of break up the theme park hustle and bustle and whatnot.
There are beaches in the complex, but if you want to get away there is nothing wrong with that. I suggest you hit the Orlando outlets as well and go to the Disney store there. You can find some massive deals on stuff.
So, what's the deal with magic hours?
Already covered.
And what times do people recommend grabbing shuttles out to the parks?
It's really up to you. If you want to hit the parks first thing in the morning you are going to want to grab the first few shuttles. They start an hour before park opening. If you get one of the first few ones and wait at the park until they open you will do much better than trying to catch the bus at morning rush hour. Other than that it really is up to you. You'll get the hang of the timing as you use them.
And what's the Speedpass deal?
Fastpass. You go to a ride witha really long line (anything 30 minutes are over is worth it to get Fastpass) and stick your park entry card into the Fastpass machine and it spits out a ticket good for a certain time when you can go to the ride and bypass the line. Some rides its absolutely necessary like Toy Story in the Studios - always has a 70 minute wait - even with fast pass you end up waiting like 10 minutes just from all the fastpass people. Fastpasses can run out for a ride so if you are going to get them don't wait until late afternoon or you may miss out on them. Not all rides have Fastpass - so check them out first before planning.
And Park Hopper vs. No Expiration vs. Standard Pass - what's the concensus opinion?
I think Park Hopper is a must. That way you can move between parks if you want to do various things. Annual passes are worth the money if you plan on going back within a year. IF you use them 3 times you actually make money. So if you are planning on going back ,look into the annual pass. Park Hopper really isn't that much money for what you get option wise from it.I think that covers everything.

Thanks YF. Good stuff.

It's a little far to travel from AZ a couple times in a year, so I'm guessing that won't happen. I am considering adding a couple more days and popping for the no expiration thing, though. It's not like the price of tickets is going to decrease a few years from now.

I'm picturing a Polynesian Fogo de Chao here. You've set the bar pretty high for this place. I hope it delivers. If not, I'm going to be stuck actually going to Fogo de Chao when we get back to make up for it.

I'm picturing a Polynesian Fogo de Chao here. You've set the bar pretty high for this place. I hope it delivers. If not, I'm going to be stuck actually going to Fogo de Chao when we get back to make up for it.
Ah, I'm all for steak - big fan big fan. But O'hana is a spiritual experience.Starters 'Ohana Welcome BreadMixed greens with a honey-lime dressingAppetizers/AccompanimentsPineapple-Coconut BreadMixed Greens with Mango-Poppy Seed DressingHoney Coriander Chicken WingsPork fried dumplingsSweet Golden PineappleSkewersPrepared over an oak fireOak Grilled ChickenAsian Barbecued Pork Loin Marinated Sirloin SteakSpicy Grilled Peel - n - Eat ShrimpAccompanimentsEgg Noodles tossed in a peanut sauce with pineappleStir fried vegetablesDipping SaucesHouse Made Peanut SauceChimichurri SaucePineapple Sweet and Sour SauceDessert'Ohana bread pudding served a la mode with Bananas and Caramel SauceI seriously just satisfied myself typing that. Wife can go to bed.

Anyone have a quick and dirty on Disneyland? My plans for a disneyworld vacation next year just got sidetracked by a California wedding.

Thanks YF. Good stuff.

It's a little far to travel from AZ a couple times in a year, so I'm guessing that won't happen. I am considering adding a couple more days and popping for the no expiration thing, though. It's not like the price of tickets is going to decrease a few years from now.
I'm not sure the no expiration is worth it. Maybe there's a use for it I'm not thinking of though.The max number of days you can get on a ticket is 10. And you're going to want to use at least five of those the first trip. That's the bare minimum imo.

A 5 day pass costs $291 (before tax). A 10 day no expiration pass costs $529, which is essentially two 5 day passes for $264.50. So you're saving $26.50 there... more if prices go up prior to your second trip.

That sounds good, but where they'll get you is when you figure out that five days isn't enough. Then you'll want to buy an additional 2 day ticket next time, which is $216. So that 7 day total ends up at $480.50. Normally a 7 day pass is $301.

I guess one way it could work out is if you decide you're going three times. Two 10 day no-expiration passes would work well for three trips... six or seven park days per trip. But committing to that prior to your first trip seems a little risky. Not everyone loves Disney, though I'd argue those people are just doing it wrong.

The Disney ride time app I think I mentioned is sweet. Check it out for iPhone and it has probably made it's way to Android as well. Tells you wait times for all major rides at all parks. You can update yourself too. Used it last time and it was helpful.

Looks like everything is covered for you Sac

You know Yankee, I had a 9:15 Ohana reservation last month. We got there close to 8 thinking we may get lucky. Guy said we would be lucky to be seated by 11 since everyone stays for the fireworks and there was no guarantee that we would be served. With two little kids, we ditched it and ate at the dining room they had on the bottom floor. I tried but something is off with having reservations and them not honoring it for close to 2 hours. It looked small. They need to move that gift shop and take up the whole level IMO

ETA: But I did walk right into Lecelier at 12:30 after our 17 hour drive down so you win some and you lose some

They could blow out Kona Cafe and take the space over. Although I like it very much.

ETA: One and only time I went to Le Cellier was walk up right before it opened. Chicken habernero sausage is :moneybag:

We've used the park hopper passes when we want to go to say the MK on one day, but have reservations in another park. We've also used them on the days we go to AK because we don't spend more than four hours in AK.

We've used the park hopper passes when we want to go to say the MK on one day, but have reservations in another park. We've also used them on the days we go to AK because we don't spend more than four hours in AK.
What means this? Restaurant reservations, or do you have to reserve what days you will be going to specific parks if you have the Standard Passes?

What means this? Restaurant reservations, or do you have to reserve what days you will be going to specific parks if you have the Standard Passes?
If you dont have park hoppers then you have to go to the park where you have your restaurant reservations. That is the one thing that keeps us getting the park hoppers. We can enjoy the day at Epcot and then head to the MK for dinner reservations with Pooh or vice versa

If you dont have park hoppers then you have to go to the park where you have your restaurant reservations. That is the one thing that keeps us getting the park hoppers. We can enjoy the day at Epcot and then head to the MK for dinner reservations with Pooh or vice versa
Interesting. I purposefully made my reservations at restaurants at the resorts instead of in the parks. We have some breakfasts and dinners that are unplanned right now. Do you guys think we need a reservation for every dinner?

reservations with Pooh
:snicker:

Only places I could see for Park Hopper are Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Those are a half day each IMO.

We were considering the Park Hopper just to get into and out of Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios to check out a couple of things. I didn't see us spending entire days at either with a limited schedule, but figured we might ID a couple of things we REALLY wanted to hit at each and just check them out when we had some downtime (i.e., after coming back from MK for an afternoon nap or something).

You can leave and re-enter the same park on one day without Park Hopper, right? So, if we spend the morning at MK, then want to go back to the hotel for a bit, then re-enter MK in the afternoon, that's doable with a hand stamp or something, right?

We were considering the Park Hopper just to get into and out of Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios to check out a couple of things. I didn't see us spending entire days at either with a limited schedule, but figured we might ID a couple of things we REALLY wanted to hit at each and just check them out when we had some downtime (i.e., after coming back from MK for an afternoon nap or something).You can leave and re-enter the same park on one day without Park Hopper, right? So, if we spend the morning at MK, then want to go back to the hotel for a bit, then re-enter MK in the afternoon, that's doable with a hand stamp or something, right?
Yes, you can leave and re-enter the same park on the same day. We do use the park hoppers - for example we might spend the first part of the day at MK with the kids, head back to the room for a break, and then the wife and I will go to Epcot at night (or something like that). I guess I like having the flexibility the park hoppers provide.

We were considering the Park Hopper just to get into and out of Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios to check out a couple of things. I didn't see us spending entire days at either with a limited schedule, but figured we might ID a couple of things we REALLY wanted to hit at each and just check them out when we had some downtime (i.e., after coming back from MK for an afternoon nap or something).You can leave and re-enter the same park on one day without Park Hopper, right? So, if we spend the morning at MK, then want to go back to the hotel for a bit, then re-enter MK in the afternoon, that's doable with a hand stamp or something, right?
Yes, you can leave and re-enter the same park on the same day. We do use the park hoppers - for example we might spend the first part of the day at MK with the kids, head back to the room for a break, and then the wife and I will go to Epcot at night (or something like that). I guess I like having the flexibility the park hoppers provide.
So you guys use the resort "babysitting" services at night? The Mickey Mouse Club BS and all that? How is it? They keep the kids pretty entertained, don't make you feel like you're abandoning them, give you a feeling of general security (General Security :salute:), etc? I mean, I know it's Disney and a kid dying in their care might not be the PR they'd like, but it's still nice to hear it from somebody who has used it.

Only four hours? It's a one day park unless you want to spend a lot of times walking around looking at the animals, which would be pretty easy to do. But just half a day seems like you'd miss a lot. I suppose it's doable if the kids are small and you skip Everest, Dinosaur, and Kali River Rapids. But skipping the Lion King and Nemo shows would be a big mistake. Those are excellent for all ages.

Oh yeah, and take the kids to see Pocahontas (in the Rafiki's Planet Watch portion of the park). This trip she was the best looking "princess" I saw. :wub: Last trip it was Jasmine. I kinda dug Mulan too.

Looks like everything is covered for you SacYou know Yankee, I had a 9:15 Ohana reservation last month. We got there close to 8 thinking we may get lucky. Guy said we would be lucky to be seated by 11 since everyone stays for the fireworks and there was no guarantee that we would be served. With two little kids, we ditched it and ate at the dining room they had on the bottom floor. I tried but something is off with having reservations and them not honoring it for close to 2 hours. It looked small. They need to move that gift shop and take up the whole level IMOETA: But I did walk right into Lecelier at 12:30 after our 17 hour drive down so you win some and you lose some
That sucks. I've never tried to go there around fireworks time but I could see that being a problem. They should account for it somehow, you're right. It's odd though - overall I'd say they do a great job in planning for things such as that.

Park Hopper Passes - Are you really jumping from park to park during the day a lot?
We do. Usually we target it so that we do one park in the morning and then one park in the afternoon. Our son is 7 so naps times aren't needed as much now, but we used to plan to break for 2 hours midday so he could rest and usually by then he wanted to do a different park.Also, if you have dining reservations in a place in one park, without the hopper you stay in that park all day. Not necessarily a problem, but we like the flexibility - like go to MK all day but hit Le'Cellier in EPCOT at night for dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread