What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Most Useful Apps. (3 Viewers)

POCKET - Daily

Google Keep - Daily

Expensify - One of my favorites. All of my expense reports are done on the fly, with pictures of the receipts etc, save a report to PDF and I email them to my office manager to get reimbursed. Has numerous other uses as well

Easy Money - Electronic Check Book

Starting to become useful -

Google Hangouts - You can now text from Google Hangouts so I have been using that more and more around the house on my tablet

Google Pictures - Auto Awesome around the holidays has been great. Kids love that it makes the lights twinkle and can add snow to your pictures
Google Keep actually seems really cool. Just downloaded and installed.
You ragged on Evernote and then endorse Keep? I took a quick glance and they're pretty much the same thing, no?

I have to check out Waze. Google Navigation is alright, but I've had a lot of issues with it, and it always has major bugs whenever they rollout a newer version.

POCKET - Daily

Google Keep - Daily

Expensify - One of my favorites. All of my expense reports are done on the fly, with pictures of the receipts etc, save a report to PDF and I email them to my office manager to get reimbursed. Has numerous other uses as well

Google Hangouts - You can now text from Google Hangouts so I have been using that more and more around the house on my tablet

Google Pictures - Auto Awesome around the holidays has been great. Kids love that it makes the lights twinkle and can add snow to your pictures
You ragged on Evernote and then endorse Keep? I took a quick glance and they're pretty much the same thing, no?

I have to check out Waze. Google Navigation is alright, but I've had a lot of issues with it, and it always has major bugs whenever they rollout a newer version.
I find the simplicity of the Keep app/widget interface to be a bonus vs Evernote. In the past I used evernote daily but its been replaced by keep over the past year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll elaborate on one I mentioned earlier.

Tinder- is a site that you upload photos to. It uses your phones GPS to locate where you are. You open the app and it shows pictures of people (for me- the opposite sex) that are located near you. You can set the parameter. You simply slide right for "hot" and left for "not". If you say hot, they are notified (and vice versa). If there's a match where you both think the other is hot, it puts you in an instant chat.

It's the easiest pick up tool around last call.

It only works in cities that are populated with other Tinder users.
My friends all late 20's/early 30's have all gotten laid numerous times off of Tinder - App is the greatest thing ever invented for single men.. Unfortunately for us married men, even just having this app is dangerous around the wife.

Tinder- is a site that you upload photos to. It uses your phones GPS to locate where you are. You open the app and it shows pictures of people (for me- the opposite sex) that are located near you. You can set the parameter. You simply slide right for "hot" and left for "not". If you say hot, they are notified (and vice versa). If there's a match where you both think the other is hot, it puts you in an instant chat.

My friends all late 20's/early 30's have all gotten laid numerous times off of Tinder - App is the greatest thing ever invented for single men.. Unfortunately for us married men, even just having this app is dangerous around the wife.
Please start an official TINDER thread w/pics and stories - thank you

POCKET - Daily

Google Keep - Daily

I find the simplicity of the Keep app/widget interface to be a bonus vs Evernote. In the past I used evernote daily but its been replaced by keep over the past year.
I like Evernote but will check out Keep to see if it's better. Notes is very simple and easy.

I use Waze on a long drive. Haven't used it since they got bought out (Yahoo, I think?) Has it changed?

Netflix gets a lot of use now with my Chromecast.

Still use WhatsApp to text with my wife. I like it more than the usual texting.

ESPN Sportscenter app has really improved.

HandyScanner also changes pics to pdfs

I like TVJunkie to see when my favorite shows are returning.

World Newspapers for a huge range of reading

Maybe not all that useful but the Google Sky Map is fun.

best post of the thread.

best post of the thread.
There is an iDating thread - don't know how there isn't a Tinder thread :shrug:

Any single man without this app is doing themself a serious injustice. A lot of the girls on there are hot too.

:o This might be the biggest "when I was your age" moment of my life. We didn't even have cell phones.

A couple I like when traveling that haven't been mentioned...

TVFoodMaps - Shows you on a map with every restaurant that's ever been on a TV Food Show. You can filter by shows too. Awesome way to pick a place to eat when in an unfamiliar area. DDD's are all :moneybag: . Best Thing I Ever Ate usually look good too. I avoid the Man-vs-Food challenges. Good to call ahead as occasionally they close or are under new ownership.

Geocaching App - Shows you on a map with all geocaches around you (they're everywhere). I dont go out of my way to search for these things, but my kids love it and its a fun way to kill some time or explore someplace you might not have otherwise. Once my kids searched for a cache on Jost Van Dyke while my wife and I had a Painkiller at the Soggy Dollar. We found them in a park in St Thomas while killing time between transfers. Another time we checked the app on the ski lift and found them right along the slopes, and we found them while walking Graffiti Highway in Centralia, PA.

iBird Plus - I like to try to identify the unique bird calls I hear throughout the year. Pretty awesome to have every bird call along with all the info you would ever need right at your fingertips.

Osaurus said:
Grocery iQ
I recommend checking out AnyList.

We started with GroceryIQ and thought it was great... but it was really designed for just one person. We wanted to have a common list where my wife and I could both add to it, and whoever's at the store could pull it up. We tried GrocerySmart, which had the functionality we wanted, but wasn't very reliable. We switched to AnyList and it's perfect.

Osaurus said:
Grocery iQ
I recommend checking out AnyList.

We started with GroceryIQ and thought it was great... but it was really designed for just one person. We wanted to have a common list where my wife and I could both add to it, and whoever's at the store could pull it up. We tried GrocerySmart, which had the functionality we wanted, but wasn't very reliable. We switched to AnyList and it's perfect.
I will check it out. Thanks

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
BlueDredSo said:
Otis said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
POCKET - Daily

Google Keep - Daily

I'm gonna try Keep. A year ago, I tried Evernote and I didn't like it as it was overkill for what I want. I've been using OurGroceries app as my task list - I really liked the simplicity of a topic and items. The simpler, the better for me.

Looking forward to the voice integration with the Nexus 5 now. As an old fart, I just want to speak into the phone "pick up X the next time you're at Target" and have it remember that for me.

1) Comcast TV GO - now i can use my tablet to watch cnn or cnbc in the bathroom whilst i'm shaving/dumping/whatever in the morning

2) Watch ESPN - same thing but with sports

3) Chess Time - only app that crosses from android to apple to play chess with people

4) Songza - best music app IMO because i hate commercials and like the playlist concept.

5) Google Drive/DropBox - allows me to have my files on the go - very nice

6) Boat Browser - definitely the best I've used

7) Screen Filter - makes your screen darker when you are using your device like in the middle of the night in bed and the screen is too bright

8) AiCloud - only works if you have an Asus router, but it allows me to stream all the content off my computer at home whilst somewhere else (with wifi)

Otis said:
avoiding injuries said:
Genius Scan- allows me to take a picture of anything and turn it into a PDF.

I use it for all my receipts for expense reports, but if there's a document I need to sign/fill out and return, I can just snap a pic and send it as an email directly from the app. It was a game changer for me.
Nice. Been meaning to get one of these for a while, good reminder here. This does seem like a massively useful app, I just yesterday had the problem of needing to scan something but being out of the office.
Great app. I've been using it for a year or so to scan receipts to send to my assistant for expenses.

Anyone have a suggestion for a timekeeper app to track what files I'm working on and for how long? The simpler the better

WhatsApp - a useful messaging app for anyone who wants to communicate internationally with family or friends.

AppsGoneFree - gives you a daily update of any $$ apps that are being offered for free

I've had apps come and go, but every new phone gets a location service/scheduled task app. On Android, I use Llama.

This app will learn and record what cell towers to associate with your home or work location. It can turn on or off any number of features on your phone based on your location, time or environment.

It have it turn on my wifi at 7am and sync all my stuff. At 9am it changes to normal mode. In the evening, it adjusts volumes down so they don't interrupt conversations. At night, it switches my phone to silent and offline (I don't want anyone texting or calling the middle of the night.

I also use it to change wallpaper on the days their is a Husker game, or Bears game.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Concur

Anyone who has monthly expense reports, by far the best!! Only caveat is your company has to use them as it isn't a standalone expense app.
Checkout expensify (link in my post above).
If your company has Concur support, there is no comparison.

Besides the obvious ones (Gmail, Google Voice, Google Maps, Google Calendar, Facebook, etc.), here are the ones I find particularly useful.

MX Player - plays videos in any format, and has a very intuitive user interface.

theScore - for NFL scores and stats during the games.

Keep and Memoires - I find them both to be much easier to use than Evernote.

Dolphin with LastPass - Makes life so much easier. (I typically use the Boat Browser for most purposes, but Dolphin for anything that requires signing in, just because LastPass is such a godsend in those situations.)

Mantano and Kindle - for reading books in .epub and .mobi, respectively. (Either one works with .pdf.)

Press - to read RSS feeds.

ES File Explorer - for local directories, and Dropbox, Drive, SkyDive, SugarSync, Box, Copy, Bitcasa, and Wuala for cloud storage.

DiskUsage - to find out what's hogging my storage space.

RetroArch - to play old-school console games like the original 8-bit NES version of Tetris.

I've had apps come and go, but every new phone gets a location service/scheduled task app. On Android, I use Llama.

This app will learn and record what cell towers to associate with your home or work location. It can turn on or off any number of features on your phone based on your location, time or environment.

It have it turn on my wifi at 7am and sync all my stuff. At 9am it changes to normal mode. In the evening, it adjusts volumes down so they don't interrupt conversations. At night, it switches my phone to silent and offline (I don't want anyone texting or calling the middle of the night.

I also use it to change wallpaper on the days their is a Husker game, or Bears game.
Do you know if an iOS equivalent? I'd like to set this up on my wife and mother-in-law's phones so they go silent at their chorus rehearsals.

My list on iOS:

Chrome/Twitter/Pocket - For keeping up on articles I like to read. Pocket's great to store up interesting articles for times when I don't have access (planes, ships).

Maprika/Strava - for mountain biking season.

GlucoseBuddy Pro - kid has type 1 diabetes, we log everything here and look for trends.

AnyList - we just use it for shopping, but it can handle any list you want to share with the wifey.

Dropbox/GoogleDrive/Quickoffice - store stuff, access it, make changes to Excel spreadsheets... great for the way I manage FF rosters.

Netflix, of course...

Do you know if an iOS equivalent? I'd like to set this up on my wife and mother-in-law's phones so they go silent at their chorus rehearsals.
I'm sorry, I don't. I've never owned an iPhone. I was a die hard Nokia/Symbian guy before Android.

Flashlight - obvious, but it comes in handy on many occasions.

Data ON-OFF - great little switch used to switch cell data on and off.

GPS Status - use it all the time. Compass, GPS coordinates, pitch/roll, level, acceleration, etc.

AlarmDroid - best Alarm clock I have found for android.

Key Ring - sick of keeping track of all those memberships and cards in your wallet? I have been able to take all my hotel, airline, etc. cards out of my wallet with this.

Otis said:
avoiding injuries said:
Genius Scan- allows me to take a picture of anything and turn it into a PDF.

I use it for all my receipts for expense reports, but if there's a document I need to sign/fill out and return, I can just snap a pic and send it as an email directly from the app. It was a game changer for me.
Nice. Been meaning to get one of these for a while, good reminder here. This does seem like a massively useful app, I just yesterday had the problem of needing to scan something but being out of the office.
Great app. I've been using it for a year or so to scan receipts to send to my assistant for expenses.
Just used this for work. Awesome app.

Frostillicus said:
I use most often:

1. Chess Time
1188 rating here - i suck but just started a few months ago
User name?
zam88
Mine = MrPickles

I'll set up a game.
i'll prepare to get served. I just got back into it about 2 months ago, and I really don't have any good strategy. You can enjoy raping my queen
Happy to join the fun. Haven't played in years. KingOtis

Flashlight - obvious, but it comes in handy on many occasions.

Data ON-OFF - great little switch used to switch cell data on and off.

GPS Status - use it all the time. Compass, GPS coordinates, pitch/roll, level, acceleration, etc.

AlarmDroid - best Alarm clock I have found for android.

Key Ring - sick of keeping track of all those memberships and cards in your wallet? I have been able to take all my hotel, airline, etc. cards out of my wallet with this.
This last one sounds super useful. DLing now...

:blackdot: This sounds awesome.

:blackdot: This sounds awesome.
I just took a look. It has a bunch of bad reviews in the past few days

Users who are viewing this thread