What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Most Useful Apps. (1 Viewer)

the score is way better than scorecenter IMO. the alerts are lightening fast, sometimes almost too fast depending on how delayed your HD/satellite feed is.

Frostillicus said:
I use most often:

1. Chess Time
1188 rating here - i suck but just started a few months ago
User name?
zam88
Mine = MrPickles

I'll set up a game.
i'll prepare to get served. I just got back into it about 2 months ago, and I really don't have any good strategy. You can enjoy raping my queen
Happy to join the fun. Haven't played in years. KingOtis
well mrpickles was a fake username

the score is way better than scorecenter IMO. the alerts are lightening fast, sometimes almost too fast depending on how delayed your HD/satellite feed is.
:hifive:

one of my best buds is a lead developer on this app.

TheScore is actually a Canadian sports channel, which is miles better than ESPN/TSN etc.... thescore app is the best without question when it comes to sports.

if youre into soccer, ScoreFC is the best of the best for that

thanks, this is a very good app.

i'd been using cbs sports, which was ok, but this is nice

updates VERY often (tho not annoyingly) to work out any bugs ppl write about it... tho to be honest, I havent had any issue except for push alerts coming in slow when I was on wi-fi as opposed to LTE.

but that issue has been fixed. best sports app, bar none.

updates VERY often (tho not annoyingly) to work out any bugs ppl write about it... tho to be honest, I havent had any issue except for push alerts coming in slow when I was on wi-fi as opposed to LTE.

but that issue has been fixed. best sports app, bar none.
It's awesome for gambling..just "favorite" the games your betting on and you get the alerts after every score (and can customize further). As I mentioned, beware if you have your favorite team "favorited"...there have been instances where I hear the alert and check my phone only to see the score happen seconds later. Now I just "unfollow" the events that I really care about watching live.

Frostillicus said:
I use most often:

1. Chess Time
1188 rating here - i suck but just started a few months ago
User name?
zam88
Mine = MrPicklesI'll set up a game.
i'll prepare to get served. I just got back into it about 2 months ago, and I really don't have any good strategy. You can enjoy raping my queen
Happy to join the fun. Haven't played in years. KingOtis
well mrpickles was a fake username
Lol

Username:

Joe_T

I've had apps come and go, but every new phone gets a location service/scheduled task app. On Android, I use Llama.

This app will learn and record what cell towers to associate with your home or work location. It can turn on or off any number of features on your phone based on your location, time or environment.

It have it turn on my wifi at 7am and sync all my stuff. At 9am it changes to normal mode. In the evening, it adjusts volumes down so they don't interrupt conversations. At night, it switches my phone to silent and offline (I don't want anyone texting or calling the middle of the night.

I also use it to change wallpaper on the days their is a Husker game, or Bears game.
:blackdot: This sounds awesome.
I've used Tasker for several years....similar to Llama I think. It's a paid app, and there's a learning curve, but it's very powerful when it comes to automating your phone. I'm a big fan.

avoiding injuries said:
Genius Scan- allows me to take a picture of anything and turn it into a PDF.
MattFancy said:
Cozi - Wife and I use it for grocery lists when she needs me to pick up something from the store.

Dropbox - Easily transfer pics and documents between phone and computer
Don Quixote said:
Untappd for beer.
Otis said:
Waze has to be the best map/navigation/traffic app. It's really good.
We started with GroceryIQ and thought it was great... but it was really designed for just one person. We wanted to have a common list where my wife and I could both add to it, and whoever's at the store could pull it up. We tried GrocerySmart, which had the functionality we wanted, but wasn't very reliable. We switched to AnyList and it's perfect.
RetroArch - to play old-school console games like the original 8-bit NES version of Tetris.
Key Ring - sick of keeping track of all those memberships and cards in your wallet? I have been able to take all my hotel, airline, etc. cards out of my wallet with this.
:blackdot:

Osaurus said:
Grocery iQ
I recommend checking out AnyList.

We started with GroceryIQ and thought it was great... but it was really designed for just one person. We wanted to have a common list where my wife and I could both add to it, and whoever's at the store could pull it up. We tried GrocerySmart, which had the functionality we wanted, but wasn't very reliable. We switched to AnyList and it's perfect.
Grocery IQ shares a list with another person. Just one though

Key Ring - sick of keeping track of all those memberships and cards in your wallet? I have been able to take all my hotel, airline, etc. cards out of my wallet with this.
This sounds great and I hate to be a paranoid #### but is there any way that this app can make a connection between my rewards card and my credit card? You have to scan your rewards card into it, which makes sense. I would imagine there's a link somewhere between the card and the credit card you use.

I've had apps come and go, but every new phone gets a location service/scheduled task app. On Android, I use Llama.

This app will learn and record what cell towers to associate with your home or work location. It can turn on or off any number of features on your phone based on your location, time or environment.

It have it turn on my wifi at 7am and sync all my stuff. At 9am it changes to normal mode. In the evening, it adjusts volumes down so they don't interrupt conversations. At night, it switches my phone to silent and offline (I don't want anyone texting or calling the middle of the night.

I also use it to change wallpaper on the days their is a Husker game, or Bears game.
I've used Tasker for several years....similar to Llama I think. It's a paid app, and there's a learning curve, but it's very powerful when it comes to automating your phone. I'm a big fan.
I downloaded Tasker and read awesome things about it, but it seems really hard to figure out and use.

This sounds great and I hate to be a paranoid #### but is there any way that this app can make a connection between my rewards card and my credit card? You have to scan your rewards card into it, which makes sense. I would imagine there's a link somewhere between the card and the credit card you use.
Where? Putting in my Amtrak rewards card number doesn't give them anything having to do with my credit card. :shrug:

Where? Putting in my Amtrak rewards card number doesn't give them anything having to do with my credit card. :shrug:
Well how about StopNShop or Walgreens? Isn't there some kind of connection between my rewards card and the credit card I always use to buy things there? I'm just giving info to an app called Key Ring? :tinfoilhat:

Well how about StopNShop or Walgreens? Isn't there some kind of connection between my rewards card and the credit card I always use to buy things there? I'm just giving info to an app called Key Ring? :tinfoilhat:
I have never had a reward card linked to a credit card

Not linked directly by you but don't you think if you use a reward card and then pay with a credit card they are somehow linked in a database?

Last edited by a moderator:
Membership rewards and CC info are completely separate. For an app like KeyRing to get your CC info it would have to hack into CVS or whomever. So really - no risk (over and above what might happen if someone hacks Target).

All it does is store those barcodes and numbers for you. My wallet is thinner by a third.

Not linked directly by you but don't you think if you use a reward card and then pay with a credit card they are somehow linked in a database?
Well yes, but not KeyRing's. CVS's, yes.

Membership rewards and CC info are completely separate. For an app like KeyRing to get your CC info it would have to hack into CVS or whomever. So really - no risk (over and above what might happen if someone hacks Target).

All it does is store those barcodes and numbers for you. My wallet is thinner by a third.
I'm not saying that the makers of KeyRing would do it but how do I know what their security is. Maybe they are easily hacked and will have my cards from multiple places.

Osaurus said:
Grocery iQ

Grocery IQ shares a list with another person. Just one though.
I guess that must have been added after we switched away... probably 2 years ago.

Osaurus said:
Grocery iQ

Grocery IQ shares a list with another person. Just one though.
I guess that must have been added after we switched away... probably 2 years ago.
Another negative with Grocery IQ is that if the other list keeper is on a different version than you (either OS or Grocery IQ version, I'm not sure) the lists stop updating.

I downloaded Tasker and read awesome things about it, but it seems really hard to figure out and use.
Best way to learn is to find Profiles online and just copy the steps. Once you get a couple to work as expected, you start to figure out how it works.

I tested Tasker and Llama when I got my first Android phone. They are very similar.

I've had quick responses from the Llama developer whenever I've had a question.

I would suggest starting with something simple, like changing your phone from General Mode to Silent Mode each day at 7 PM.

All of these apps basically take a trigger (day, time, cell tower, etc) and perform a task (turn off wifi, turn on bluetooth, etc)

The one thing that people miss, is that it will also work when the trigger is missing. Most people keep their mobile data and wifi on all the time. Since, I am within range of 4 main wifi routers, I have Llama set to turn wifi on only when those 4 wifi areas are out of range. I think it saves on battery and data usage.

Abraham said:
Bengalsfan said:
RunPee

I use it during every movie I go see. Awesomely practical app.
Did you know that two of the three creators are Carson and Jordan Palmer?
Kelly Johnson

says:May 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm
I heard about RunPee from Jordan Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals’ QB (Carson’s brother) when the Bengals were featured on HBO’s Hard Knocks in the summer of 2009. Is he part of the group that started it, or just a fan? I’m a 50-ish woman who is VERY grateful for RunPee! I’ve been telling all my the rest of the “gotta go, gotta go right now” generation about you.
icon_smile.gif

• Dan Floriosays:May 31, 2011 at 9:47 pm
    @Kelly I’m so glad that RunPee has helped you and your “generation”.
    icon_smile.gif

Jordan is a member of a company named RockLive – formerly RockSoftware – that builds iPhone applications. I had the idea for RunPee ages ago and eventually built the website. When it became popular I had lots of people begging for an iPhone application. I’m a software developer but at the time I had no idea how to build iPhone apps so I partnered with RockLive. That’s how Jordan got involved.

Of course when he and Carson were being interviewed on “Hard Knocks” they couldn’t just say, “This geek Dan Florio had the idea and so my company built the iPhone app for him.” HBO would certainly have left that sitting on the editing room floor. So, with my complete consent, Jordan and Carson used the word “We” a lot. Of course we includes me because I’m technically a part of RockLive so they weren’t exactly lying. They were just being a tiny bit misleading in order to get that interview in the show. It worked. We all benefited. And really, who cares who came up with the idea as long as you don’t have to sit uncomfortably in the theater, right?

No..your card is probably tokenized and encrypted, so your card number isn't actually linked to anything.

Printer Pro is one I picked up earlier today. I can't call it one of my most useful apps yet, but it's very cool. Print from any iOS device through your PC printer, even if it's an old non-networked printer. It was $3.

google cloud print is awesome if you have a compatible networked printer

printing from my phone/tablet is awesome

What do these printers cost? I don't have a printer set up but would love to have one tucked away in a closet somewhere but logged into our wifi. We don't use one much so out of sight would be nice.

What do these printers cost? I don't have a printer set up but would love to have one tucked away in a closet somewhere but logged into our wifi. We don't use one much so out of sight would be nice.
If you have the motivation, you can connect whatever printer you've got to a very tiny computer called a Raspberry Pi that costs $35 and turn it into a print server.

https://www.google.com/search?q=raspberry+pi+airprint+server&oq=raspberry+pi+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60l2j0l2.9285j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Epson printer like 110 bucks.

Epson xp 400 like 80 bucks plus ink

Any tips on weather app for android? Really like Intellicast on iOS for the live radar, but haven't found an equal.

Also, I switched from Hangouts to Handcent for SMS texting and it's better, but not sure if there's something else out there. I don't care about video or bells and whistles, just want a clean interface for plain old texting.

Epson xp 400 like 80 bucks plus ink
There are routers that allow this as well. My iphone can't communicate with my printer, but it can communicate with my router which then sends the message to the printer

Any tips on weather app for android? Really like Intellicast on iOS for the live radar, but haven't found an equal.

Also, I switched from Hangouts to Handcent for SMS texting and it's better, but not sure if there's something else out there. I don't care about video or bells and whistles, just want a clean interface for plain old texting.
Try weather underground.

1weather

and never, ever look back

secondly... go for 8sms for texting, and also never, ever look back

Last edited by a moderator:

1weather

Agree with 1Weather, it's definitely my favorite after trying most of the options out there.

1weather

Agree with 1Weather, it's definitely my favorite after trying most of the options out there.
I didn't care for 1Weather when I used it. Probably just personal preference but I didn't like how it looked. It felt cheap. I've been using the Yahoo weather app and it's nice to look at, but a bare minimum for a weather app. I don't like that it doesn't have animated radar.

Might have to give 1Weather another try.

TheScore - Sports scores app, I like this better than the scorecenter app.

Clear - Great app for making lists. I use it both as a to-do list for my business and I just make note of things I need to grab at the store

TweetBot - Best twitter app I know of... need to use twitter a lot for work.

Lumosity - like the phone app much better than the website. Requires a subscription.

Feedly - magazine style RSS reader. Best option since Google reader shut down.

Yahoo weather - similar to the regular weather app but pulls random Flickr pictures from wherever you're located at the time

IMO - Best chat app I've found on iPhone. I prefer Adium on my Macbook but I don't believe they have an app yet.

Also if you have a Cumberland Farms in your area check out their SmartPay app... saves you $0.10 a gallon when you pay for gas with it. Links to your bank account so you don't rack up credit card fees.

1weather

I didn't care for 1Weather when I used it. Probably just personal preference but I didn't like how it looked. It felt cheap. I've been using the Yahoo weather app and it's nice to look at, but a bare minimum for a weather app. I don't like that it doesn't have animated radar.

Might have to give 1Weather another try.
the widgets on android look beautiful on the home/lock screen

Facebook- so I can see what all of my friends are up to. It's been really cool the past couple of days as I've gotten to see every present they and their spoiled children received.

Uber is great if you're in a city.

Scorecenter to check scores and stats

Tinder

I use google maps for traffic, but wonder if there is a better app for that
Waze has to be the best map/navigation/traffic app. It's really good.
I am a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread