What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) in Baltimore collapes (1 Viewer)

I feel a little bit sick and very sad. I used to take that bridge every so often from Alexandria, VA, into Georgetown, D.C. I remember taking it one particular day when I was hungover and the weather had changed from rain to a bright sunshine. Just remember coming off of the bridge right into Georgetown on a weekend, which meant there were people out and about all walking around and shopping. You go straight from going gangbusters on the highway to the bridge and right into an upscale, university-style town and city setting. It was a surreal feeling that day for some reason.

God bless those workers that were reportedly working on the bridge at the time of its collapse.

Sounds like at least 20 people were on the bridge at the time of collapse including 7 construction workers and several vehicles. Doesn’t seem that they’ve managed to find any of them alive.

Reports are that the ship may have been losing power right before striking the bridge. So far there has been no success in contacting the crew of the ship. The ship may also have a hill breech and be leaking fuel from a piece of bridge striking it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Catastroph...f3f/francis_scott_key_bridge_in_baltimore_md/

Few other details:

-this bridge was a route for hazmat trucks that aren’t allowed through the tunnels/some other bridges. So that’s going to be a mess for a while.

-this is also now blocking the only way in and out of the Port of Baltimore. That’s a MAJOR problem for shipping and cruise ships.

I feel a little bit sick and very sad. I used to take that bridge every so often from Alexandria, VA, into Georgetown, D.C. I remember taking it one particular day when I was hungover and the weather had changed from rain to a bright sunshine. Just remember coming off of the bridge right into Georgetown on a weekend, which meant there were people out and about all walking around and shopping. You go straight from going gangbusters on the highway to the bridge and right into an upscale, university-style town and city setting. It was a surreal feeling that day for some reason.

God bless those workers that were reportedly working on the bridge at the time of its collapse.
This is the Key Bridge in Baltimore, rock.

Terrible accident - in many ways fortunate that this happened overnight/early morning and not during a busier period.

I wonder if this will have an impact on bridge safety design - more so for the base - putting protective barriers further away from base, while still allowing shipping lanes.

From BBC:

What went wrong?
What caused this incident is still unclear, but BBC Verify has been looking at video of the collision and the Dali's travel history on ship tracking platform MarineTraffic.

The container ship set off from Baltimore's Seagirt Marine Terminal at around 00:24 local time (04:24 GMT) on 26 March.

Its speed steadily increased and it maintained a straight route south east along the Patapsco River.

Then at 01:25 MarineTraffic data shows that the ship suddenly diverted from its straight course and began to slow down.

Around this time, video shows that all lights on the exterior of the ship suddenly turned off and smoke began emanating from the ship's funnel.

The Dali then hit a portion of the bridge at 01:28, causing it to collapse.

Two people removed from water, one in serious condition
Baltimore Police Chief James Wallace says two people were rescued from the water.

"One individual refused service and refuse transport essentially that person was not injured," he says.

"However, there was another individual that's been transported to a local trauma centre that is in a very serious condition."

Also reporting that sonar has detected a number of cars in the water - but no word on the number

Baltimore Police Chief James Wallace says two people were rescued from the water.

"One individual refused service and refuse transport essentially that person was not injured," he says.

"However, there was another individual that's been transported to a local trauma centre that is in a very serious condition."

Also reporting that sonar has detected a number of cars in the water - but no word on the number
Pretty amazing that at least 2 people were pulled from the water alive, one of whom is uninjured.

One of my biggest fears come to life. Just a nightmare scenario.

I'd have to assume they use local pilots that know their way to get them out into the ocean.

I'd have to assume they use local pilots that know their way to get them out into the ocean.
Saw video…looks like the ship lost power twice as it approached.

And yes total nightmare scenario.

As mentioned earlier - thats the bridge for trucks carry hazmat - they aren't allowed in the tunnels. This is going to be a mess for awhile....

The Singaporean-flagged cargo ship that struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore Tuesday altered course and veered toward a pillar shortly before impact, a CNN analysis of MarineTraffic ship-tracking data confirms.
It’s unclear what caused the ship to crash into the bridge or why its lights were flickering. CNN has reached out to the National Transportation Safety Board to inquire about a possible power failure.
The container ship Dali, which was en route to Colombo, Sri Lanka, begins to change course toward the bridge’s pillar at 1:26 a.m. local time, striking the bridge at 1:28 a.m. ET, according to MarineTraffic data and video from the scene. Video from 1: 25 a.m. ET shows a plume of dark smoke billowing from the ship. Dali’s lights flicker at least twice before the incident.
In video, as it navigates down the Patapsco River, the ship’s lights can be seen going out at 1:24 a.m. ET, before turning back on, and then flickering off and on again between 1:26 a.m. ET and 1.27 a.m. ET, just before it hits the bridge.
CNN

Saw video…looks like the ship lost power twice as it approached.

And yes total nightmare scenario.
Yeah, saw that. Just assuming that like here they have specialized pilots that take control of the ship to bring it into and out of port, rather than leaving it to the ship's captain. Even with the loss of power he seemed to be awful close to the piling but that could be a result of the camera angle. When power came back the ship's stern seemed to swing around pointing it at the piling. Will be interesting to hear what the crew/captain/pilot say.

What I want to know is why weren't there dolphins (impact attenuators) on the sides of the piers that an errant ship would hit instead to prevent this.

What I want to know is why weren't there dolphins (impact attenuators) on the sides of the piers that an errant ship would hit instead to prevent this.
Great question. Those of us in the Tampa area know about these all too well. See Skyway Bridge collapse

Pretty amazing that at least 2 people were pulled from the water alive, one of whom is uninjured.
And bro was like no way in hell am I paying for an ambulance ride.

Obviously this isn't the main thing right now, but this is a useful time to check in on your social media feed and see how it's doing. Are the accounts that you follow telling you to chill and let this story develop, or is it overreacting and feeding you conspiracy theories? People who freak out in response to one breaking news story tend to freak out in response to all of them.

That gonna stop a container ship?
No

on average thats a 165,000 ton ship listing throught the water.

THey would need to build them way out from the bridge - maybe they will now bot not sure that stops a cargo ship

ETA - you can see here it has some around the 2 main pillars but it wasn't going to stop this

Last edited:
We're likely looking at multiple years to replace that bridge, right? If I remember correctly, it took 5 years to build that bridge back in the '70s. Technology has improved, but this is also starting as a completely unexpected need, with no current plans, bids, etc.

pretty big bridge

The steel-arched bridge, with a total length of 8,636 feet, was the second-longest continuous-truss bridge span in the world when it was built and remains the second longest in the United States and third in the world, according to the society.

We're likely looking at multiple years to replace that bridge, right? If I remember correctly, it took 5 years to build that bridge back in the '70s. Technology has improved, but this is also starting as a completely unexpected need, with no current plans, bids, etc.
The 35W bridge in Minneapolis was replaced in a year but the Baltimore bridge looks much longer in length.

That gonna stop a container ship?
No

on average thats a 165,000 ton ship listing throught the water.

THey would need to build them way out from the bridge - maybe they will now bot not sure that stops a cargo ship

ETA - you can see here it has some around the 2 main pillars but it wasn't going to stop this

Another view of these I found on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ccaprani/status/1772614806836506808

Definitely seems less adequate than something like this, but I'm not an engineer.

We're lucky this stuff doesn't happen more...

The 35W bridge in Minneapolis was replaced in a year but the Baltimore bridge looks much longer in length.
I guess they don't have to rebuild the entire bridge. Maybe?

And bro was like no way in hell am I paying for an ambulance ride.
cheaper just to go home and pretend it never happened

Obviously this isn't the main thing right now, but this is a useful time to check in on your social media feed and see how it's doing. Are the accounts that you follow telling you to chill and let this story develop, or is it overreacting and feeding you conspiracy theories? People who freak out in response to one breaking news story tend to freak out in response to all of them.
Or is it AI/bots and not real people at all, which if you're on X these days is probably the likeliest case.

america;

-what a tragedy
-hmm, conspiracy….
-terrorists
-who can we blame
-political comments
-name calling

Latest update on CNN:

Ship issued "mayday" before colliding into bridge, governor says

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said crew on the ship were able to issue a "mayday" before colliding into the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which allowed authorities to stop traffic from going on the bridge.

"We're thankful that between the 'mayday' and collapse that-that we had officials who were able to-to begin the stop the flow of traffic so more cars were not up on the bridge," Moore said.

When I lived in St. Louis area, I had to cross the I-70 bridge from St. Charles county into St. Louis county every day to and from work.

I always wondered what would happen to the city if that bridge got taken out somehow. Those major arteries of traffic are fairly critical in the short term and can cause major problem if taken out.

For those of you that know St. Louis, the Page Extension was put in a few years after I moved, which would alleviate some of the issue a missing I-70 bridge would cause, but I've never been through there during rush hour and I imagine the capacity is already being maxed out.

Latest update on CNN:

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said crew on the ship were able to issue a "mayday" before colliding into the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which allowed authorities to stop traffic from going on the bridge.

"We're thankful that between the 'mayday' and collapse that-that we had officials who were able to-to begin the stop the flow of traffic so more cars were not up on the bridge," Moore said.
Good to hear and that seems to make sense regarding the limited traffic flow on the bridge at the time. Even in the middle of the night, you would have expected more cars to be going back and forth than what we saw.

Latest update on CNN:

imagine being one of the cars that was stopped just in time.

Crazy. As a young kid growing up in Baltimore, I know I crossed this bridge hundreds of times with my parents driving. Prayers to the victims, just insane stuff.

Latest update on CNN:

imagine being one of the cars that was stopped just in time.
A famous Skyway photo gives you and idea of that: https://www.wusf.org/law-order/2014-05-09/the-sunshine-skyway-bridge-disaster-tragedy-over-tampa-bay

Users who are viewing this thread