What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) in Baltimore collapes (1 Viewer)

Looks like a number of big brain gigachads are driving or running towards the ruined bridge to do their own research.
And everybody's suddenly an expert civil engineer.

"The bridge collapsed too fast. It must've had other structural issues"

"They shouldn't build bridges like that. They could collapse at any time"
I would seriously caution folks to not jump to conclusions.
The last thing on my mind is this was done on purpose by either an individual or group

-Maybe the captain fell asleep at 1:30 in the morning, we don't really know and it's going to take weeks before investigators can gather all the information and form a conclusion
I made that up but it's more plausible than some of the conspiracies that will likely circulate
:rolleyes: it's throwing out wild things like this that allows conspiracy talk to steam roll and pick up a life of their own
First of all, the captain doesn't navigate the ship through there, a local pilot does. And there were 2 of them. (As you already know I'm sure). They lost power and with it the ability to control the ship.

Okay physics guys - if we want to calculate the force the thing hit with is it mass (which would be gigantic) times deceleration?
According to my engineering student daughter deceleration is NOT A WORD!@;#;#
She's right but it doesn't seem right to say the ship didn't hit with any force since it wasn't accelerating.
Running joke when I was teaching her to drive. When getting off the highway try not to slow down until you are in the deceleration lane..... 😡

Looks like a number of big brain gigachads are driving or running towards the ruined bridge to do their own research.

The last thing on my mind is this was done on purpose by either an individual or group

-Maybe the captain fell asleep at 1:30 in the morning, we don't really know and it's going to take weeks before investigators can gather all the information and form a conclusion
I made that up but it's more plausible than some of the conspiracies that will likely circulate
:rolleyes: it's throwing out wild things like this that allows conspiracy talk to steam roll and pick up a life of their own
Hey Joe, you know how to really twist things, I was just trying to say the explanation might be something simple that nobody wants to believe
Obviously the lights going on and off the ship which i never saw until I opened the 2nd thread on this disaster, was eye opening to say the least
Captain sleeping is not a conspiracy theory IMHO but I don't want to argue with you

Last edited:

this is america, let's wildly speculate without facts and jump to conclusions.
Dan LeBatard has a special lead in where his father with a very thick accent says "It's time for something we call Reckless Speculation"
I was in no way trying to drive any type of conspiracy theory, I even posted specifically about it.
And I don't think you were insinuating that I was Chem X

Amen brother

Hey Joe, I was just trying to say the explanation might be something simple that nobody wants to believe
Obviously the lights going on and off the ship which i never saw until I opened the 2nd thread on this disaster, might have just been mechanical issues.
Captain sleeping is not a conspiracy theory IMHO but I don't want to argue with you
They said the boat called the authorities ahead, and said they had major power issues. No idea if that was an hour or five minutes, but it was said on TV that they were able to keep some people off the bridge. So it doesn't sound like anyone fell asleep or whatevs.

Google the Exxon Valdez oil spill and get back to us.

Damn how fast that bridge came down. It's was like it was built with TinkerToys from my youth. https://www.amazon.com/KNEX-TINKERTOY-Retro-Building-Collectible/dp/B06XKJPQVR

I'm not sure this will effect Baltimore that much. The tunnels and west beltway will get used more but it's not terrible.

Traffic is an interesting and awful thing in the NoVA to Baltimore corridor. The work on the American Legion Bridge has made the beltway from VA into MD a mess. Luckily I just see it every day but never have to get into it. Total ****show. Yet they are doing work on the GW Parkway and it's essentially single lane into Arlington/DC. They have cones to separate the two lanes into town. Because people can't switch lanes it's significantly faster now. Go figure. I'm not sure any of these traffic/road engineers has a fresh thought in their head. They are programmed to do what has been done over and over. Going back to basics of one lane is working in a ton of spots around here, but it's being done by accident since construction crews with cones and setting it up that way. Where the lanes allow switching all over during merging .. total mess and plenty of aholes willing to drive the shoulder at 110 mph to cut people off.
People can't handle zipper merging here either.
@franknsbeans

Just for kicks I did and it seems like non-functioning radar was a major culprit.

considering I spent 8 years at a unit that constantly did case studies on the Exxon Valdez I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about.

That bridge was built long before we had these cargo ships.
Massive force hitting a fixed object. The bridge wasn't substandard.

considering I spent 8 years at a unit that constantly did case studies on the Exxon Valdez I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about.
Okay, then you know that human error was a contributing factor to that event. That isn't a conspiracy theory. Human error is the cause of lots of accidents.

this is america, let's wildly speculate without facts and jump to conclusions.
Dan LeBatard has a special lead in where his father with a very thick accent says "It's time for something we call Reckless Speculation"
I was in no way trying to drive any type of conspiracy theory, I even posted specifically about it.
And I don't think you were insinuating that I was Chem X
i don’t think saying the captain was sleeping was anything reckless. i am just making a general comment. captain could be sleeping, maybe he had chicks on the bridge like the costa dummy. maybe a johnson rod came loose. it can be any number of things, but not all of them are sinister and murky, like the internet will speculate. i’m sure someone has already said the bridge the collapses before the boat hits and the baltimore mayor must’ve caused the explosion because he wants more people trapped in the city for elections. now that’s speculation!

Okay, then you know that human error was a contributing factor to that event. That isn't a conspiracy theory. Human error is the cause of lots of accidents.
I can agree that no problem, my thing was the mention of the captain falling a sleep at 1:30 in the morning. This isn't a car, falling a sleep at the wheel isn't even plausible on a vessel of this size. Forget the fact that there are bar pilots who are taking the ship out but even if the Captain was at the helm the bridge is going to have multiple people on it running and monitoring various things so even "if" someone were to start dozing off then it will be noticed and the person will be quickly woken up.

Obviously this isn't the main thing right now, but this is a useful time to check in on your social media feed and see how it's doing. Are the accounts that you follow telling you to chill and let this story develop, or is it overreacting and feeding you conspiracy theories? People who freak out in response to one breaking news story tend to freak out in response to all of them.
Uhhh yea that was immediate. Just thousands of insane posts now.

Obviously this isn't the main thing right now, but this is a useful time to check in on your social media feed and see how it's doing. Are the accounts that you follow telling you to chill and let this story develop, or is it overreacting and feeding you conspiracy theories? People who freak out in response to one breaking news story tend to freak out in response to all of them.
Or is it AI/bots and not real people at all, which if you're on X these days is probably the likeliest case.

america;

-what a tragedy
-hmm, conspiracy….
-terrorists
-who can we blame
-political comments
-name calling
If this is what your TL looks like, it is time to prune your TL. That's my point.
To be fair it’s not my TL it’s that for you tab, which is my fault for ever opening.

That bridge was built long before we had these cargo ships.
Massive force hitting a fixed object. The bridge wasn't substandard.
I'm not trying to argue but there weren't cargo ships in the late 70s?
I think what he means by "these" is the size of container ships today versus 50 years ago.

yowsa
Going underwater (tunnel) as those massive container ships are passing over it's like "I sure hope they're not off their marks to the left or right". :D

Was the ship on line for the pillar for some reason? I would have thought the channel would be midway between pillars. The power appeared to go out relatively close to the pillar so why didn't it continue drifting on a line farther away from the pillar? Is there an angle showing the ship turn some after losing power?

Was the ship on line for the pillar for some reason? I would have thought the channel would be midway between pillars. The power appeared to go out relatively close to the pillar so why didn't it continue drifting on a line farther away from the pillar? Is there an angle showing the ship turn some after losing power?
I was wondering if dropping the anchor caused that turn toward the piling.

Guy on my Patapsco River Fishing group swears he sees the starboard side anchor drop and that's what makes the boat jerk to the right (our left facing the boat) before impact. Not sure I see what he sees...It would also take an absurd amount of time for that anchor to deploy, hit bottom, and bite enough to actually alter the path of the ship.

I still think the distance and timeline are deceiving as it's sped up some in some of the videos. The course would depend on where he's coming from too. I haven't seen it stated, but if he's coming from Baltimore, it's more or less a straight shot. If he's coming from Curtis Creek, which is off to the west side of the bridge, he'd probably be mid-turn. Maybe when power went out his rudder was locked further right than he'd want it to be. Coming that way you also have to turn it kind of tight to that piling because of Fort Carroll. It's not "close," to the bridge, but it's "massive container ship close" to the bridge.

Image from WSJ article appears to have the boat coming from the Port of Baltimore, North of the bridge....so I agree you'd have your course largely lined up quite a ways out. Not saying it couldn't have impacted steering, but makes me wonder if the anchor theory is more plausible.

I also don't totally understand how ships that big don't have double or triple redundancy on controls.

Guy on my Patapsco River Fishing group swears he sees the starboard side anchor drop and that's what makes the boat jerk to the right (our left facing the boat) before impact. Not sure I see what he sees...It would also take an absurd amount of time for that anchor to deploy, hit bottom, and bite enough to actually alter the path of the ship.
CNN had an update saying an anchor was dropped.

Okay physics guys - if we want to calculate the force the thing hit with is it mass (which would be gigantic) times deceleration?
She's right but it doesn't seem right to say the ship didn't hit with any force since it wasn't accelerating.
What we could call deacceleration or negative acceleration is the result of an opposite force placed on an object in motion. In this case, the pillar's resistance to movement was a force that could be used to calculate the force the tanker had. I'd guess the best way to calculate it would be the resistance force of the pier/pillar added to the mass of the tanker x velocity with which it was moved when it finally broke apart. In other words, it was slowed down by the pillar which could be a known number and then add that to the "exit" velocity force in a sense.

This is a nigh impossible calculation.

Probably easiest way to get the force would be to calculate the amount of force needed to be applied to get the boat moving from zero to the speed it was when it contacted the bridge pillar. That's simpler than worrying about the forces involved in the negative acceleration immediately following impact which would have a myriad of forces involved.

Physics :nerd:

Last edited:
What we could call deacceleration or negative acceleration is the result of an opposite force placed on an object. In this case, the pillar's resistance to movement was a force that could be used to calculate the force the tanker had. I'd guess the best way to calculate it would be the resistance force of the pier/pillar added to the mass of the tanker x velocity with which it was moved when it finally broke apart. In other words, it was slowed down by the pillar which could be a known number and then add that to the "exit" velocity force in a sense.

Probably easiest way to get the force would be to calculate the amount of force needed to be applied to get the boat moving from zero to the speed it was when it contacted the bridge pillar. That's simpler than worrying about the forces involved in the negative acceleration immediately following impact which would have a myriad of forces involved.

Exactly what I meant. I think.
:unsure:

Audio from port authority as it happened. They definitely saved some lives there. And one officer was going to head up to warn the crew but never got a chance.

In videos you can clearly see the crew they are referencing here on the bridge. Hoping the best for all involved...

you can see the shipping channel in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39w6aQFKSQ

What we could call deacceleration or negative acceleration is the result of an opposite force placed on an object in motion. In this case, the pillar's resistance to movement was a force that could be used to calculate the force the tanker had. I'd guess the best way to calculate it would be the resistance force of the pier/pillar added to the mass of the tanker x velocity with which it was moved when it finally broke apart. In other words, it was slowed down by the pillar which could be a known number and then add that to the "exit" velocity force in a sense.

It's not that difficult. 165,000 ton cargo container going about 5 miles an hour puts a 800,000 pound point force into the side of the pillars. But it it time dependent so that's pretty much a minimum giving it a full second between impact and failure. A tenth of a second puts it at 8,000,000 pounds.

This is one of my nightmares come to life. I am frightened of bridges. Horrible.

This. IIRC there was a made for TV movie where a bridge mostly collapsed and there were people stranded on a small section of bridge that hadn't yet collapsed.

Bridge collapse and sinkholes are my two irrational fears.

ETA - The Night The Bridge Fell Down (1980)
Totally irrelevant to the tragedy, but Im not the one who brought up the movie.
This movie is famous for being put up against the final episode of MASH, the highest rating TV episode of all time
The movie was produced by Irwin Allen in 1979 in association with Warner Bros. Television for NBC but was not aired in the United States until February 28, 1983 – the same night the final original episode of M*A*S*H ("Goodbye, Farewell and Amen") ……The show fared poorly in the ratings against the last episode of MASH, which attracted the largest audience for any single show in television history.

you can see the shipping channel in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39w6aQFKSQ
That is worth watching.

This monster temporarily lost power at the worst possible spot.

Thanks. Yeah, the ship was farther away from the bridge when it lost power than I assumed (from just seeing the video), so it didn't need to change course at as severe an angle to hit the pillar.

Any over under for when they have it rebuilt? 1 yr? How do they resume boat traffic while doing the construction?

Anyone think season 2 of the wire was underrated?

Any over under for when they have it rebuilt? 1 yr? How do they resume boat traffic while doing the construction?

WAG - 1.5 years at an absolute minimum.

I guess that's not an O/U... For that, say 2.5 years.

I've always thought S2 of The Wire was quietly excellent. People just don't like it because it doesn't feature as much Stringer Bell and Omar Little. If S2 had been the first season, it would be considered a classic.

Audio from port authority as it happened. They definitely saved some lives there. And one officer was going to head up to warn the crew but never got a chance.

"start whoever. start everybody. the bridge just collapsed."

yikes

WAG - 1.5 years at an absolute minimum.

I guess that's not an O/U... For that, say 2.5 years.
This would be a good time for somebody in a position of authority to step up and prove us wrong. I've said many times before that the US in 2024 would be incapable of building the interstate highway system from scratch, and we've all seen how assorted public works projects involving high-speed rail have gone. It's not like the technology here is complicated or anything -- we've just chosen as a society to make this sort of thing impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread