What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gates tore plantar fascia (1 Viewer)

If he plays with a torn plantar fascia he is a major stud because that is a very painful injury. I just can't see him making it through the entire game. With a bye next week they shouldn't risk him. Besides, I'm playing Crayton this week. :goodposting:

"My (right) foot was on fire," Gates said of the aftermath of the Patriots game. "It was so bad, it was like my toe and ankle didn't bother me anymore." "It's the worst feeling in the world," Gates said. "Sometimes you feel your career is coming to an end." There looks to be serious doubt about his availability for Week 9-Dont like hearing that career ending part
It is a very painful injury.Your reading into it too much.

If he plays with a torn plantar fascia he is a major stud because that is a very painful injury. I just can't see him making it through the entire game. With a bye next week they shouldn't risk him. Besides, I'm playing Crayton this week. :rolleyes:
:goodposting: No doubt.

I found this little tid bit while searching that injury....pretty interesting :lmao:

I have just picked up your post and seeing as i wrote that article i thought i would throw my opinion in.

Believe it or not, rupturing your plantar fascia if it has been in pain long term (ie, chronically degenerated) is actually a good thing. When you recover from this set back you will actually find you have no further problems (ie pain) with it. No surgery is needed.

It will take about 4 weeks for the pain and swelling to subside and after that you should be right to go. Those rugby players mentioned in that piece played within 3-4 weeks post injury.

However, to make sure you have no arch problems long term or any functional issues, you need to do a number of things.

Firstly, have a physio/podiatrist strap your arch for the next 4 weeks to protect it. This is called a low dye strap. This will allow you to walk without too much discomfort after the 1st week. No need for splinting or an aircast boot.

Next at 4 weeks post injury, see a podiatrist to have an orthotic made up to control your pronation. You need to be walking without a limp when you have this done.

Next, you will need to train the small intrinsic foot muscles that will be needed to support your arch in the absence of the plantar fascia. Do some monkey tricks. Pick up small objects with your toes by grasping them by clenching up the toes.

Let us know how you go.

Regards

Chris Mallac

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/questi...-plantar-fascia

Next, you will need to train the small intrinsic foot muscles that will be needed to support your arch in the absence of the plantar fascia. Do some monkey tricks. Pick up small objects with your toes by grasping them by clenching up the toes.
Gates has been catching passes with his feet to strengthen these muscles this past week. I just know it.

I did not read through but FWIW - doesn't Turner have absolutely little history of starting a player who was listed as doubtful on Friday?

In many fascia-type injuries, such as plantar fascitis or inflammation of the fascia in the wrist that causes carpal tunnel symptoms, the treatment of choice after (conservative methods fail), is to surgically cut the fascia to release tension, inflammation, and eventually pain in the area. This tearing of the fascia is actually not a bad thing for Gates, he will just need to deal with the pain involved from the actual tear. I honestly think it's the toe that is giving him the most trouble. I know what he has said, this is just a hunch that I have...and experience with turf toe...which is actually a more serious of the two injuries as far as limiting his production.

Didn't Turner say mid week that Gates problem is 'the toe' more than the foot? I could have dreamt that up.

Curious what the SP thinks about the possibility of Gates returning in Week 11.

Trade deadline is coming up and he is being shopped around.

Curious what the SP thinks about the possibility of Gates returning in Week 11.Trade deadline is coming up and he is being shopped around.
I think he'll be close in week 11. But as mentioned above, he will have to wear an orthotic for his torn fascia for the rest of his life. Strengthening the intrinsic muscles of the foot will help, but those muscles are tiny. And tiny muscles get tired fast, especially when you weigh 260...

I'm thinking the play might be to pick up Mcmichael. I sure don't need another zero from my TE this week.
Agreed. I just picked up McMichael and dumped Winslow. Winslow might be the better play over McMichael, but the problem is that we won't know Gates status for the early games on Sunday.

I'm thinking the play might be to pick up Mcmichael. I sure don't need another zero from my TE this week.
Agreed. I just picked up McMichael and dumped Winslow. Winslow might be the better play over McMichael, but the problem is that we won't know Gates status for the early games on Sunday.
yep, trying to grab him off of waivers as well. The Monday night thing is good as it gives Gates one more day to heal, but really screws you unless you've got McMichael. Christ after having to start Celek the last two weeks I REALLY could use Gates back in my lineup. Somehow a two week line of 0 points and 1 point are not intimidating to anyone.

"It's a tear. It's not a tough-man, grind-it-out thing. I tore it," Gates said. "It's got to heal. That's a big part of me running and cutting."

"It's a tear. It's not a tough-man, grind-it-out thing. I tore it," Gates said. "It's got to heal. That's a big part of me running and cutting."
This is a major concern. A tear takes months to heal. If Gates is saying this it may be season ending. I am scooping Randy tonight.

This is a major concern. A tear takes months to heal. If Gates is saying this it may be season ending. I am scooping Randy tonight.
:blackdot: I hope he plays. I have Tony G as my back up, but since we wont know his status, i am wondering if I should drop Tony G and pick up McMichael or if I should drop Keiland Williams who is my 5th RB.

:cry: I hope he plays. I have Tony G as my back up, but since we wont know his status, i am wondering if I should drop Tony G and pick up McMichael or if I should drop Keiland Williams who is my 5th RB.
I know Tony G has been a bit down from his normal production, but has he really fallen that far? In PPR, he's been solid, if unspectacular. Do people expect McMichael to just step into A.Gates production? Kinda suprised by that.

My understanding is that Gates has a complete tear and that those are less painful and recovery is faster than a partial tear.

:goodposting: I hope he plays. I have Tony G as my back up, but since we wont know his status, i am wondering if I should drop Tony G and pick up McMichael or if I should drop Keiland Williams who is my 5th RB.
I know Tony G has been a bit down from his normal production, but has he really fallen that far? In PPR, he's been solid, if unspectacular. Do people expect McMichael to just step into A.Gates production? Kinda suprised by that.
Me too. McMichael caught 2 passes in week 9. Yes, those 2 passes went for TDs but can you really expect that to happen consistently? I would feel more comfortable if McMichael had a stat line of 5/45/0 rather than 2/23/2. The targets are the key.

Cenobite said:
Mene said:
:shrug: I hope he plays. I have Tony G as my back up, but since we wont know his status, i am wondering if I should drop Tony G and pick up McMichael or if I should drop Keiland Williams who is my 5th RB.
Me too. McMichael caught 2 passes in week 9. Yes, those 2 passes went for TDs but can you really expect that to happen consistently? I would feel more comfortable if McMichael had a stat line of 5/45/0 rather than 2/23/2. The targets are the key.
He's really the only viable option you can use if Gates doesn't go because San Diego plays on Monday night, since it seems likely that Gates is headed for a GTD.

I he practices in any form Friday/Saturday I wouldn't worry about picking up a replacement. That being said, I really wish they would hold him out for a week or two so he can come on strong down the stretch.

He's really the only viable option you can use if Gates doesn't go because San Diego plays on Monday night, since it seems likely that Gates is headed for a GTD.
Rivers is averaging 37 attempts per game. He threw 23 in week 9. If he throws another 50% of the time, and you prorate everyone up, that would give McM 3/35 which isn't too far off of the 5/45 you were looking for. I think McM is a decent play, and agree that since Gates is going to be a GTD, you've gotta roll out McM rather than go with someone like Gresham or Pettigrew or whatever in an earlier game and give up the chance to play Gates.

http://twitter.com/SDUTChargers

A. Gates says he's 50-50 for Monday. Did some running Tues. & pool work Wed. Having played in 94 straight games b4 last wk, he's frustrated.
Only 50-50? Didn't Gates even warm up before last game, and now has had two weeks to rest it. If he was close to playing two weeks ago, and has had rest and treatment since then, I would have thought it was more than 50-50.

Shoot. We probably won't hear much else beforehand either so it'll be a risky play

One other thing to consider is that Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson are due back this week and next week, respectively. This probably means a couple of things:

1. Gates and McMichael are likely to split snaps that go to the TE unless Gates is 90%+

2. Passing to the TEs are going to drop as Rivers has more targets

Now with this said, Rivers really likes Gates in the Red Zone, especially since the SD running game is...unpredictable. MF and VJ are great in stretching the field, but Gates has the size advantage in the end zone to box-out and get position.

For all of us Gates owners, I might caution that we should not count on many more 20 fantasy point games from him. It is probably not a bad idea to cull the waiver wire to look at some opportunistic match-ups, if you have space.

Note: for the guy with the luxury of having Gonzalez, I would say keep him. ATL is going to start making a run for the playoffs, and I would expect that Ryan is going to come to appreciate TG's experience in clutch situations to move the chains and get into the end zone.

I really dont wanna carry 3 TEs. Im risking it and will wait until this weekend to decide to play Lewis or Gates.

http://twitter.com/SDUTChargers

A. Gates says he's 50-50 for Monday. Did some running Tues. & pool work Wed. Having played in 94 straight games b4 last wk, he's frustrated.
Only 50-50? Didn't Gates even warm up before last game, and now has had two weeks to rest it. If he was close to playing two weeks ago, and has had rest and treatment since then, I would have thought it was more than 50-50.

Shoot. We probably won't hear much else beforehand either so it'll be a risky play
I think his type of injury takes several weeks to heal - the bye was nice but it simply wasn't enough time. Would love for him to get in there, though.

What makes this worse is I gotta pick up a 3rd TE today since rosters are locked after the first game...what a cluster ####. And I don't have the balls to drop Hernandez yet.

I am likely to roll with Keller and avoid making a roster move to wait and see with gates and mcmichael. Once Gates reads this he will heal more quicker.

I was rolling with Olsen the last two weeks and it worked out pretty well. I may just plug him in tonight and take my medicine early. It's either that or drop Olsen for Randy.

I was rolling with Olsen the last two weeks and it worked out pretty well. I may just plug him in tonight and take my medicine early. It's either that or drop Olsen for Randy.
I've actually done the exact same thing (Gates/Miller/Olsen) but that gravy train has to end sometime. The only thing that made Olsen decent was a touchdown each game. He isn't getting many receptions or yards. This is some bum luck with their games all being on different nights with the healthy guy going first and the least healthy gonig last...That being said, I really don't feel comfortable putting all my eggs in the Gates basket. I think we should all be looking for Sunday TEs to at least buy some time to monitor Gates' progress. I sort of hope they hold him out until the fantasy playoffs because as much as I'd like to use him now to win the regular season + points, I'd like his help to win the playoffs.
Yea, maybe best move for me is hold with Hernandez and Gates so I have till late Sunday to see how he is. If its looking bad, then just play *gulp* Hernandez and hope for the best.

I dropped Pettigrew and passed up on Olsent to get McMichael. We would all rather start Gates. Hopefully McMichael can do *something* if he misses time. :mellow:

Correct, the only comment I hear was that he seemed to be "walking" pretty good before warm ups. I didn't really understand that comment as some sort of vote of confidence because walking is completely different from running and cutting. That being said, if Gates practices towards the end of the week, I'm rolling with him. If not, I'm going with Tamme.

McMichael owner won't come off of him for anything. I offered S. Moss for him, then came back with Fasano and Moss and still got turned down.

McMichael owner won't come off of him for anything. I offered S. Moss for him, then came back with Fasano and Moss and still got turned down.
Hell, I have Gates and love the McMichael handcuff. I have zero need for a wr (VJax is my #6. We start 5). And I'd *still* take that value. You're either dealing with an idiot or one helluva hawk.

Tight end Antonio Gates, meanwhile, is unsure whether he will get to face the Broncos.

"I've never had to be 100 percent to play," said Gates, who played in 94 straight games before missing the Houston game with a torn plantar fascia. "But still there is a criteria which you need to meet to get out there on the field -- that's being able to run, being able to do something off the foot where it doesn't bother me. I've got a ways to go ... At this point, I'm trying to give myself a chance to play.

"It's a tear. It's brutal. It's pain ... This is probably as frustrated as I've been in my career based on the recovery time."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/no..._medium=twitter

Tight end Antonio Gates, meanwhile, is unsure whether he will get to face the Broncos.

"I've never had to be 100 percent to play," said Gates, who played in 94 straight games before missing the Houston game with a torn plantar fascia. "But still there is a criteria which you need to meet to get out there on the field -- that's being able to run, being able to do something off the foot where it doesn't bother me. I've got a ways to go ... At this point, I'm trying to give myself a chance to play.

"It's a tear. It's brutal. It's pain ... This is probably as frustrated as I've been in my career based on the recovery time."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/no..._medium=twitter
Gates has a torn plantar fascia. It is not a bruise or a strain. That takes months to heal.The discomfort from a partial tear can linger, in my experience these usually heal well with proper management. Once the partial tear has been diagnosed, I would recommend immobilization in a removable walking cast with weightbearing to tolerance. When non weightbearing, I would recommend ice massage with a frozen water bottle rolled under the foot, as long as you have no circulatory problems or medical contra-indications.

I usually have a patient in a removable cast for approximately 4-6 weeks depending on the patient and symptoms, and then transition the patient into a comfortable supportive shoe/sneaker with an orthotic or quality over the counter insert such as a PowerStep and make sure that the patient avoids barefoot walking, sandals or slippers.

This was what I found for non-football players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread