What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How angry would you be if you were Aaron Rodgers right now? (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-10, how angry would you be if you were Aaron Rodgers right now?

• 10 -- Postal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 6 -- Meh+

• 5 -- Meh

• 4 -- Meh-

• 1 -- Prancing through the daffodils

• Total voters
He's still a multi-millionaire doing what he 'loves' for a living.

How angry CAN he be? :loco:
Somehow I don't think he "loves" carrying the clipboard. Now that would be :loco: If this turns out to be true Rodgers is as good as gone after 2009. Sooner if he causes enough stink over it. It's pretty lame on the Packers part to promise a guy the starting job, then bring a legend back to take it away.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Roger doesn't start he won't sign with the Packers after 2009 and will probably fake his retirement next year to prove a point... That's right it just happened. I don't think Green Bay Packers higher up's will fall for it again...

Benchwarmers said:
If Roger doesn't start he won't sign with the Packers after 2009 and will probably fake his retirement next year to prove a point... That's right it just happened. I don't think Green Bay Packers higher up's will fall for it again...
he'll probably retire hoping for the 20 mil.

This is going to work out great. Rodgers will hold the clipboard for another year, and he will get the starting gig in 2009. Afterward, he jumps ship and signs with the Vikings. GB then gets to spend the next decade playing against the QB they trained.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a ploy for GB to garner even more trade value for Favre? It seems to me that there's still the possibility of the Packers just cutting him right before the season starts if they can't make a trade. I still don't see Favre being a Packer come week 1. Sure, I could be wrong, but tell me why I'm wrong please. Please leave out any comments about what Favre did LAST year. TIA

pollardsvision said:
jurb26 said:
pollardsvision said:
it's the NFL, not little league soccer.
Hummm, I guess nobody told that to Favre.....
not sure what you're getting at. favre just agreed to compete for the job after almost taking the team to the super bowl last year (not to mention the 15 HOF years before that).rodgers is the only one in this scenario that was ever getting something for nothing.
:goodposting: Rodgers has done nothing to earn the starting job. I think Favre has more of a reason to be angry.

Silver & Black said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
I voted 1. I don't think many players react to competition with anger. He'll have a chance to compete, which is all he's entitled to.
Honestly, do you see this as an all even competition. For all the BS he has exposed us too with this whole situation, he is still one of the greatest of all time. That being said, how can you truly call what is going to take place in camp now a true competition. The only way Favre doesn't come up on top is if he blows out a knee or coughs up a lung in camp.By the by, I agree with your sentiments. Its just the manner and amount of nonsense that Rodgers has had to put up with here that makes me believe he has a right to be angry here.
Not sure why everyone assumes that the competition isn't real for Rodgers. After all the crap the Packers have said and done, I'm more concerned that they won't give Favre the job even when he crushes Rodgers in TC. With all the talk of moving on and AR being the starter, does anyone believe that Favre gets a fair chance in this "competition"?

Am I the only one that thinks this is a ploy for GB to garner even more trade value for Favre? It seems to me that there's still the possibility of the Packers just cutting him right before the season starts if they can't make a trade. I still don't see Favre being a Packer come week 1. Sure, I could be wrong, but tell me why I'm wrong please. Please leave out any comments about what Favre did LAST year. TIA
I will give you props for this, as it was one of my thoughts as well.It may be one of those showcase him in the first preseason game things.If he really gets to "compete".

I don't understand all the "Rogers is getting something for nothing" talk. The Packers drafted him and have watched him in practice and team drills for 3 years now. If he didn't earn anything, he would have been replaced at QB2.

With this line of thinking, any player drafted didn't earn anything. Why were they drafted then?

Only way this isn't a 9 or 10 is the fact that Packer management has told him he IS the starter and have been working towards that goal since day 1 of this offseason. Kudos to them. Doesn't mean they can't change their minds, but that would be devastating to this guy, and if I were him and this happened, I'd demand a trade.

Silver & Black said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
I voted 1. I don't think many players react to competition with anger. He'll have a chance to compete, which is all he's entitled to.
Honestly, do you see this as an all even competition. For all the BS he has exposed us too with this whole situation, he is still one of the greatest of all time. That being said, how can you truly call what is going to take place in camp now a true competition. The only way Favre doesn't come up on top is if he blows out a knee or coughs up a lung in camp.By the by, I agree with your sentiments. Its just the manner and amount of nonsense that Rodgers has had to put up with here that makes me believe he has a right to be angry here.
Not sure why everyone assumes that the competition isn't real for Rodgers. After all the crap the Packers have said and done, I'm more concerned that they won't give Favre the job even when he crushes Rodgers in TC. With all the talk of moving on and AR being the starter, does anyone believe that Favre gets a fair chance in this "competition"?
Interesting point, although I don't agree.I think this is the only way the Packer organization can save face at this point. They know Favre is one of the greats and is coming off an absolutely great season. By making it an "open" competition, it just gives them the best way to bring him back as the starter and not make it look like they caved into to Favre here, which they clearly did. Obviously, they didn't want him back. I just don't see them bringing him in and cutting him right before the season starts. Talk about PR nightmares gone wild!!No, I think this is a way to make the best of a horrible situation for the organization. You call it a competition, and let one of the best QB's ever to play lead your team in 2008. Rodgers gets his chance in 2009. Not what the team wanted, but at this point, its the only real option, in my opinion.

So you think Thompson is going to be dumb enough to risk Favre outplaying Rodgers in preseason (most likely to happen) then cut him? The longer Favre's in camp the more public opinion swings over to Brett. The second Brett stepped off that plane yesterday it became too late to outright cut him. Trade him, maybe but not just flat out release him.

from PFW...

“Aaron Rodgers had a lot of audacity to tell fans, ‘Get on board or shut the hell up.’ He has not won a game in the NFL! You want to talk about an ironic situation to be in. (Mike) McCarthy was the lead proponent of drafting (Alex) Smith over (Aaron) Rodgers when he was in San Francisco (as the offensive coordinator). Now he’s in Green Bay, going into the season with Rodgers being the guy. McCarthy did not like Rodgers’ personality at all, did not think he was a leader. He thought he was too ‘into himself.’ I think that’s why Favre never warmed up to him and has never liked him — because of those qualities.”

from PFW... “Aaron Rodgers had a lot of audacity to tell fans, ‘Get on board or shut the hell up.’ He has not won a game in the NFL! You want to talk about an ironic situation to be in. (Mike) McCarthy was the lead proponent of drafting (Alex) Smith over (Aaron) Rodgers when he was in San Francisco (as the offensive coordinator). Now he’s in Green Bay, going into the season with Rodgers being the guy. McCarthy did not like Rodgers’ personality at all, did not think he was a leader. He thought he was too ‘into himself.’ I think that’s why Favre never warmed up to him and has never liked him — because of those qualities.”
But if you listen to everyone, he "handled this situation like a true champ". I don't really find it hard to do this when you have been given a script and are told to just follow the script which is exactly what he did. Maybe he's just a better actor that most people thought, big whoopedy dooo. On the other hand if/when Mike Vick comes back and comes off as handling all the questions that will come his way as well as Rodgers then I will give him some real credit. Example of questions for Rodgers/Vick"Hey Aaron, is this a distraction for your team"vs. "Hey Mike, we think you are a POS and should rot in hell, is this a distraction to your team"and"Hey Aaron, we all feel just awful for you, you have been through so much, How are you handling the pressure"vs."Hey Mike, you belong in prison, we all hate you, How are you handling the pressure"Real tough for Aaron. It's been so hard on Aaron with the media telling him how rough life is on him, he stuck to a script, wow, what a guy. :lmao:

I wouldn't be angry at all. He's getting an open QB competition. If he's better than Farve, he'll play. If he's not better than Farve, then I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you it's only fair that Farve starts.

If I'm a QB, I don't want to start over a guy who I'm not better than, when everyone on the team looks in your eyes and they know you're not the guy. If he's not good enough, he should sit. If he outplays Farve, then he should deserve to play.

If somehow he outplays Farve and they still have Farve start, then obviously he has a right to be angry but that hasn't happened yet. Instead of being mad, he better *chin up* and play some great football in the month of August.

As a coach, I'd love it. The bottom line is you're going to have 2 Qb's trying their butt off to play at their top level.

there's nothing to be angry about. If you aren't the best QB/player at your position you shouldn't be starting.

I wouldn't be angry at all. He's getting an open QB competition. If he's better than Farve, he'll play. If he's not better than Farve, then I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you it's only fair that Farve starts.

If I'm a QB, I don't want to start over a guy who I'm not better than, when everyone on the team looks in your eyes and they know you're not the guy. If he's not good enough, he should sit. If he outplays Farve, then he should deserve to play.

If somehow he outplays Farve and they still have Farve start, then obviously he has a right to be angry but that hasn't happened yet. Instead of being mad, he better *chin up* and play some great football in the month of August.

As a coach, I'd love it. The bottom line is you're going to have 2 Qb's trying their butt off to play at their top level.
Do you really believe that? The deck is stacked against Rodgers and everyone knows it. If Brett Favre is on the team he's the starter, EOS.

Do you really believe that? The deck is stacked against Rodgers and everyone knows it. If Brett Favre is on the team he's the starter, EOS.
The deck is stacked against him because Brett is a better QB.

Better or not better, it doesn't matter. If Brett Favre is on the roster he starts. The city of GB would revolt if he wasn't the starter and he's on the team. Hell, I would love to witness that.

Better or not better, it doesn't matter. If Brett Favre is on the roster he starts. The city of GB would revolt if he wasn't the starter and he's on the team. Hell, I would love to witness that.
I don't know about that. You may be right but winning cures a lot of ills. If Rodgers were the starter and he went out and played great and threw bullets all over the field, although some fans may be slow to embrace him, if he were the better QB I think the fans would quickly come around. Maybe I'm naive though....

Many teams' fans would revolt if a team chose to lose some inestimable number of games by starting a clearly inferior player over a locked HoFer, MVP, multiple pro-bowl winner.

Like it or not, it is not about popularity or public relations. It is about winning. Now and later.

Also, I am forced to mention that Brohm may be a better QB of the future. Not sure, but have a suspicion.

The "city of GB"?

Very little has to do with the populace of that city, even in the PR scheme of things.

Just shows how little you know about the team and its relationship to the fans and owners. :lmao:

I don't understand all the "Rogers is getting something for nothing" talk. The Packers drafted him and have watched him in practice and team drills for 3 years now. If he didn't earn anything, he would have been replaced at QB2.With this line of thinking, any player drafted didn't earn anything. Why were they drafted then?
If Favre hadn't made the decision to retire(a difficult and emotional decision), Rodgers wouldn't even be getting a chance to compete this year. You're right about how he "earned" a position, but with Favre there, that position should be QB2. All people are saying is that AR hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet vs 16 years of experience and a 13-3 record last year from Favre. IMO Rodgers is lucky to even have the chance to compete. It's totally understandable if he's upset about this, but he'll get his chance at some point and if he proves he's good enough he should have a good career...if he can manage to stay healthy.

from PFW... “Aaron Rodgers had a lot of audacity to tell fans, ‘Get on board or shut the hell up.’ He has not won a game in the NFL! You want to talk about an ironic situation to be in. (Mike) McCarthy was the lead proponent of drafting (Alex) Smith over (Aaron) Rodgers when he was in San Francisco (as the offensive coordinator). Now he’s in Green Bay, going into the season with Rodgers being the guy. McCarthy did not like Rodgers’ personality at all, did not think he was a leader. He thought he was too ‘into himself.’ I think that’s why Favre never warmed up to him and has never liked him — because of those qualities.”
But if you listen to everyone, he "handled this situation like a true champ". I don't really find it hard to do this when you have been given a script and are told to just follow the script which is exactly what he did. Maybe he's just a better actor that most people thought, big whoopedy dooo. On the other hand if/when Mike Vick comes back and comes off as handling all the questions that will come his way as well as Rodgers then I will give him some real credit. Example of questions for Rodgers/Vick"Hey Aaron, is this a distraction for your team"vs. "Hey Mike, we think you are a POS and should rot in hell, is this a distraction to your team"and"Hey Aaron, we all feel just awful for you, you have been through so much, How are you handling the pressure"vs."Hey Mike, you belong in prison, we all hate you, How are you handling the pressure"Real tough for Aaron. It's been so hard on Aaron with the media telling him how rough life is on him, he stuck to a script, wow, what a guy. :lmao:
What the hell does Rodgers have to do with Michael Vick?Your dislike for Rodgers is laughable.

For those that are saying you'd be angry, who exactly would you be angry with?J
The clear inference is they would be angry with Favre for deciding to play for the team he led to a superbowl and a cabillion victories instead of staying retired.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a ploy for GB to garner even more trade value for Favre? It seems to me that there's still the possibility of the Packers just cutting him right before the season starts if they can't make a trade. I still don't see Favre being a Packer come week 1.
I don't know how many people were still hanging in there during the 2nd half of the game last night, but Al Michaels said something interesting. He talked to one head of personnel for an NFL team, and asked him what the chances are that Favre is the starting QB for GB this season. The personnel man said "8 to 1 against it." There might be something to your view.

pollardsvision said:
jurb26 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
How do players react to a teammate turning their training camp into a soap opera and circus?
big boy players get excited b/c they have a better shot at winning. if they didn't want media attention, they picked the wrong profession.
So you're arguing that Aaron Rodgers' mindset is as follows:"I was named the starter, but now I'm excited because I'm no longer the starter but will have to outperform Brett Favre during the preseason, and that means I have a better shot at winning." Are you serious?

pollardsvision said:
jurb26 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
How do players react to a teammate turning their training camp into a soap opera and circus?
big boy players get excited b/c they have a better shot at winning. if they didn't want media attention, they picked the wrong profession.
So you're arguing that Aaron Rodgers' mindset is as follows:"I was named the starter, but now I'm excited because I'm no longer the starter but will have to outperform Brett Favre during the preseason, and that means I have a better shot at winning." Are you serious?
You need to remember that these guys are professionals and Rodgers has had 4 years of wondering if he was going to be the starter. I think he's use to it by now. If I were Rodgers I would be thankful that I have an opportunity to get paid millions of $$ to play a game. I'm not saying he should be happy, just saying he probably isn't as pi$$ed as some on the message board because he's a professional. What ever happens he will get over it and it will probably make him a stronger person in the end.

pollardsvision said:
jurb26 said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
You need to remember that these guys are professionals and Rodgers has had 4 years of wondering if he was going to be the starter. I think he's use to it by now. If I were Rodgers I would be thankful that I have an opportunity to get paid millions of $$ to play a game. I'm not saying he should be happy, just saying he probably isn't as pi$$ed as some on the message board because he's a professional. What ever happens he will get over it and it will probably make him a stronger person in the end.
Easy for you to say. He's past the point of diminishing marginal returns as far as learning from the sidelines, and he's getting ready to reach the end of his rookie contract without having proven a thing on the field. Your "it builds character" speech rings pretty hollow under those circumstances.

Favre, management, etc. I'm not saying it's even right to be angry, but it is human nature.
Favre and bad luck. It's not that being angry is the "right" way to go about this, but if I was in Rodgers' shoes I'd be good and mad. I'd also keep my mouth shut, compete, and then simply indicate after the season (no matter what anybody said, including Favre) that I wasn't resigning with the team.

I don't know how you can say that when Green Bay has done everything to have Farve NOT come back. How would the deck be stacked against Rodgers?

That's not what having the deck stacked against you means. Having the deck stacked against you means something is happening and the outcome isn't fair. If Farve outplays this guy, then it is fair and Farve will start.If Farve starts and Rodgers clearly outplays in during the preseason, that's having the deck stacked against you.

Good posting, Joe and it's my thoughts exactly.My question with the Packers is this: If they believe Farve is the better QB and gives them the best chance to win a SB this year, how come they wouldn't have brought him back ASAP when Farve gave them a word over a month ago. I'd like to know what your thoughts are because I have my own opinion on it. To me, it just doesn't make sense if they don't believe Rodgers is the real deal....this year.

pollardsvision said:
he probably is mad, but he shouldn't be. he was about to get a job he never earned. now he probably won't. it's the NFL, not little league soccer. everybody doesn't get a turn.
:goodposting:/thread

Favre, management, etc. I'm not saying it's even right to be angry, but it is human nature.
Favre and bad luck. It's not that being angry is the "right" way to go about this, but if I was in Rodgers' shoes I'd be good and mad. I'd also keep my mouth shut, compete, and then simply indicate after the season (no matter what anybody said, including Favre) that I wasn't resigning with the team.
You mean you'd announce after this season that you wouldn't resign with Green Bay after the following season? He's under contract through 2009.

pollardsvision said:
he probably is mad, but he shouldn't be. he was about to get a job he never earned. now he probably won't. it's the NFL, not little league soccer. everybody doesn't get a turn.
:hey:/thread
I disagree, how was he about to get a job he never earned? He's been the back up to Farve for years, learning the system. With Farve retired, how was he getting something he didn't earn?

pollardsvision said:
:rolleyes:/thread
I disagree, how was he about to get a job he never earned? He's been the back up to Farve for years, learning the system. With Farve retired, how was he getting something he didn't earn?
He got it by default when the better QB retired. He never had to prove he was better than anyone else to get the job. Well, unless you want to give him credit for "proving" he is better than Brohm. Seems pretty obvious.

You mean you'd announce after this season that you wouldn't resign with Green Bay after the following season? He's under contract through 2009.
I thought I'd read somewhere that he was only signed through this year (2008). I'll go look it up.Edit- You're right, he signed a 5-year, $7.7M contract in 2005, which gets him through 2009.

I said 5 right now.

I think he'd have been at 10 when this stuff first hit the fan. I would guess despite the years they ahd been teammates, Favre did not contact Aaron prior to making it known that he wanted to come back. At that point, I think he'd been postal.

Now with a month of it, I think he's probably at the "Meh" stage. Actually, he probabaly feels like "meh" but he is also likely pretty drained.

Now will it affect his performance, probabaly. And will he make less money (somewhere around $6 million less after all is said and done).

So you're arguing that Aaron Rodgers' mindset is as follows:"I was named the starter, but now I'm excited because I'm no longer the starter but will have to outperform Brett Favre during the preseason, and that means I have a better shot at winning."

Are you serious?
Easy for you to say. He's past the point of diminishing marginal returns as far as learning from the sidelines, and he's getting ready to reach the end of his rookie contract without having proven a thing on the field. Your "it builds character" speech rings pretty hollow under those circumstances.
No it doesn't. I've worked in many upper level management positions where I was in someone elses shadow, it happens everyday. The circumstances are what they are, he has been a backup and hasn't proven anything on the field, agreed. Who's fault is that? Not every player is put in these situations but some are, and the ones who have character are the ones who dont complain. Rodgers has done everything right in his career up to this point. When Young went to the 49ers did he complain when he had to back up Montana for 4 years? He waited until he got his chance and then proved it on the field. Rodgers is doing just as Young did, he's plaing the hand he's been dealt, that's all he can do. I'm assuming you're a GB fan, are you willing to risk the season (playoffs) gambling that Rodgers makes this team better than Favre would?Personally I think that GB wants Rodgers to have the job because if they don't give it to him they will then risk Rodgers going somewhere else when he becomes a free agent. Chances are though he will shop the market and he may go to another team anyway. The Packers should be looking out for what makes them a contender this season. If they honestly believe that Rodgers makes them a better football team now then they should cut Favre lose, no hard feelings.

Personally I can't wait until this traveling circus comes to Seattle on Oct. 12th!!!

10...If I'm Rogers I'm looking at Brohm being drafted and thinking that the Packers are prepared to keep Brett for a few more years until Brohm is the better prospect over Rogers.

Per Rotoworld:

7/30/2005: Signed a five-year, $7.7 million contract. The deal contains $4.13 million guaranteed, including a $1.5 million signing bonus. Another $16.82 million is available though incentives, $8.25 million of which can be earned if he becomes a starter. Rodgers only gets $2.2 million of that if he doesn't become a starter until 2008. 2008: $680,000, 2009: $800,000, 2010: Free Agent

$16.82 Million. Thats a lot of money he hasn't even had a chance to earn, and if he doesn't get on the field he won't.

Per PFT:

Absent a salary cap in 2010, Rodgers would be eligible only for restricted free agency after his current deal expires, since he’d have only five years of service.

Rodgers’ rookie deal contains extensive incentives based on playing time, and Rodgers already has lost a shot to earn millions of dollars based on the fact that Brett Favre didn’t retire after the 2005 or 2006 seasons. Now that Favre is back, and if Favre wins the starting job and stays healthy, Rodgers will make only $680,000 this year.

If Rodgers is the starter in 2008 and 2009, he’ll make an extra $2.2 million. If he’d gotten the job in 2006 and held it through 2009, Rodgers would have earned $8.25 million in additional pay.

SUCK!

and an RFA on top of it all. (possibly)

Big boy players like to focus on preparing for the regular season opener, not a media circus where they get asked the same questions over and over and over and over and over again. Favre is creating a huge distraction due to his waffling about retirement. FYI the Brett Favre saga is not typical media attention.
Players like to win, but why would anyone assume that this soap opera is going to help them win?I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the Pack fall apart the first half of the year.Not only could Rodgers be pissed, any Packer player (except maybe Jennings and Driver) has a right to be. If I'm Rodgers, heading into the last year of my contract (even if I would be RFA), I'm asking for a trade behind closed doors. Send me to the Jets or 49ers.

Users who are viewing this thread