What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I screwed up as Comish (1 Viewer)

What should we do?

• Leave it the way it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change it if the 3rd and 4th place teams agree

• league vote

• Total voters

Limp Dogg Bizkits

Footballguy
At the draft we went over the payouts for the league.

We decided on the following payouts.

1st $740

2nd $200

3rd $100

4th $100

We also said that the last 4 draft picks would go in reverse order of finish. ie. SB winner gets last pick. With 3rd and 4th place getting the same amount of $, there is really no reason to try to win the game as the loser gets a better draft spot, and the same amount of money.

I propose that we change the payout to $125 for 3rd and $75 for 4th.

1 of the owners who is in the 3rd place game is ok with the idea of changing it. What should I do?

My inclination would be to change it had you discovered it sooner. Now that what's done is done, I would probably put it up for a league vote including the options of changing it this year or waiting until next.

If both of the owners in the 3rd place game agree, then I see no reason not to. But if either of them disagrees, it would be unfair to change now.

If both of the owners in the 3rd place game agree, then I see no reason not to. But if either of them disagrees, it would be unfair to change now.
That was my thinking as well, but what if the league voted to change it? Just change it next year I guess?
This is just my opinion, but if the two people who are actually in the game want it that way even for just this game I see no reason to not make it that way. Call it a 25$ side bet for each of them and the winner ends up getting the others 25 bucks.If the league is against it, don't change it for next year. But for this year, those two would essentially be saying "let's throw an additional 25 bet into it to make it more interesting". Even if you did not pay it out that way, there is no reason that they could not. And if they are good with it, no reason for you to not pay it out that way.Just my 2 cents.

Let the 3rd and 4th place guys choose. If it is a tie, you have to leave it. Let the league vote for next year.

Cancel the 3d-4th place game -- just use whatever regular season tiebreakers you already have to determine who's 3d and who's 4th.

If you do this then there's no need to change the payouts.

keep payout the samelet em' play...whoever WINS the game gets the better (higher) draft selectionthey play for a better spot in the draft in otherwords
I see it as the loser gets a better draft spot, I would be starting all my scrubs with this set up, there is no reason to try and win.If both owners don't decide you can change it you're stuck for this year.edit to say: now I see what you're talking about pilgrim...duh good idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Create a framed certificate of achievement for 3rd place, put the final score and a picture of his opponent looking like a ######## on it. Photoshop can solve so many problems in life.

I'd recommend leaving it the way it is for this season. Changing rules during a season sets a dangerous precedent for every issue during a season that isn't perfectly covered by your league by-laws to be open for vote or change, even if this particular issue looks pretty safe.

For next season, I'd recommend you modify the rules to better fit what you want to promote, which is having each team play to win every game. I like the idea of the draft pick going to the winner of the 3rd place game, while keeping the money the same for the semi-final losers. That feels like the right reward for 2 teams that each made it to the same playoff position.

Why change the payouts? Why not just say that the winner of the consolation game gets the better draft slot?

I'll almost never advocate changing rules without either one year's notice or a unanimous vote since any change will almost inevitably cause strategic shifts that could favor somebody. But in this case making this tweak before the game would have zero impact on any decisions an owner could possibly make, with the exception of an owner who decided to intentionally tank (and who wants that guy in the league?).

Users who are viewing this thread