What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Idiot drivers (1 Viewer)

The thing that has been getting me lately is heavy traffic on the freeway, we're all going about 15mph, and the guy in front of me is constantly texting and deliberately leaving 5 car lengths in front of him so he can text and not slam into the car in front. This allows anybody to cut into our lane making our lane the slowest.

I get this one a lot, too:

Two lane road. There is a blockage in the oncoming lane (maybe a trash truck or something) and the car in that lane will swerve into my lane, then honk and flash the lights because I didn't let them through. Again, usually it's the lady in the huge SUV who's got her phone to her ear. Not sure why people think that they always have the right of way over everyone else.
I can't speak for SUV drivers, but there is certainly an elitist mentality among us Crossover owners.

I get this one a lot, too:

Two lane road. There is a blockage in the oncoming lane (maybe a trash truck or something) and the car in that lane will swerve into my lane, then honk and flash the lights because I didn't let them through. Again, usually it's the lady in the huge SUV who's got her phone to her ear. Not sure why people think that they always have the right of way over everyone else.
I can't speak for SUV drivers, but there is certainly an elitist mentality among us Crossover owners.
Well, yeah. Deservedly so, though.

Yield does not mean floor it
OOOHH! This reminds me:

A green arrow has the right of way over a Yield sign. So many times I've almost been hit by idiot making a right turn where they have a Yield sign and I'm making a left turn with a green arrow.

Near my house there is a traffic light with a left turn lane. In the mornings, there is typically a fair amount of cars turning left opposite of the way I come from my house. For some reason, the left hand turners coming from that side think that it's ok to keep turning well after the arrow is gone and it's just a plain green light where they have to yield on the turn. Often there is up to 5 or 6 cars that will continue to go through in a line after the arrow is gone and my side has a green. Most of the time, people on my side just sit there and allow it to happen. One or even two cars pulling into the intersection when it turns yellow and getting through as the arrow goes away is fine in my book. But 5 or 6 cars continuing to go through even after the delay between their arrow going away and my light turning green is just unacceptable in my book.

My car is sufficiently crappy enough and I'm enough of a jerk that as soon as my light turns green I'm making that right hand turn. It's a straight game of chicken. The jerks running the light on the other side can either slam their brakes on and be forced to sit way out int the middle of the intersection looking like a moron, or they can slam into my car. So far I've kept a clean slate.

Braking on the HWY without any reason to do so.

I really want to ask these people why. You're driving along and *whammo*... nothing in front of me... better hit the brakes.

My yield complaint stems from an incident I witnessed at an Interstate on-ramp.

This woman in a Grand Cherokee was fourth in line at a yield sign on the on-ramp. The yield is intended to help those getting on the on-ramp making a left to get on versus the others who are making a right who are fewer in numbers. I just made my left to get on the on-ramp and I am passing the yield sign as this woman I guess gets tired of yielding and floors it almost taking me out. She passed in the dirt and kicked up all kinds of debris on the cars she left behind at the yield sign still yielding. She gets on the interstate and then the traffic she pissed off catches up to her resulting in lots of honking and finger gestures. I was pissed, but the people at that yield sign were obviously pissed way more. Good times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a certain percentage of roads should be reserved for those that scored 100% on a driving exam. It motivate people to learn how to drive better in order to get access to those roads. Today there is no motivation to know more than the passing grade.
Like many things in life, how you do on a paper test has absolutely no bearing on how you perform a physical action.

In moderate traffic, the guy behind you on the entrance ramp to a highway who cuts onto the highway early, only then to be upset that he has to let everyone in front of him in from the ramp.

People who swing out to make turns. Unless you drive a city bus or an 18 wheeler, your vehicle does not need to swing out to make a turn. Even an SUV can make a turn without swinging out. I'm looking at you soccer moms in SUV's.
OMG yes this.

Although to be honest with you Sheik, the worst drivers in my area - pound for ugly pound - are without fail Pennsylvania plated cars.

People who swing out to make turns. Unless you drive a city bus or an 18 wheeler, your vehicle does not need to swing out to make a turn. Even an SUV can make a turn without swinging out. I'm looking at you soccer moms in SUV's.
OMG yes this.

Although to be honest with you Sheik, the worst drivers in my area - pound for ugly pound - are without fail Pennsylvania plated cars.
:lmao: says the guy from NJ.

Worst drivers I see per capita are from Delaware. No taxes mother ####ers act like they never learned how to drive... probably didn't- no taxes, no driving school.. But the flat out worst drivers on individual basis are always from NJ- aggressive, pyschotic, vindictive. Those handful of truly horrible drivers outweigh all the rest of you good NJ drivers... sorry, Yankee.

The DMV renewed my grandfather's license despite him being legally blind. No he didnt drive, but still....

So many complaints to go into:

Center Turn Lane - people waiting until both directions are clear instead of turning into the center turn lane. The right to left traffic beeping at people turning into the turn lane. The people that make a double yellow into a center turn lane when it isnt.

Turn Signals - Just because you turned on your signal does not mean you have the right of way. Its a request not a statement.

Turn Signals - Just because the car in front of you uses one does not mean you need to be a doosh and speed up so they can not get in front of you (probably why people around here dont use them)

And who decided that making a right turn but staying close to the curb (like you are parking) so ongoing traffic could go by instead of waiting for it to be clear was a good idea?

And for god sakes, learn to judge speed vs distance, PLEASE

OMG yes this.

PA drivers are great with turn signals, but seem to have stopped studying after that.

Car share drivers

DWA

Combined, these account for roughly 90% of the poor driving I observe in my area.

OMG yes this.

PA drivers are great with turn signals, but seem to have stopped studying after that.
Western PA drivers are so polite they cause a traffic hazard. They'll stop in the middle of the highway to let someone in from a side street.

OMG yes this.Although to be honest with you Sheik, the worst drivers in my area - pound for ugly pound - are without fail Pennsylvania plated cars.
:lmao: says the guy from NJ.Worst drivers I see per capita are from Delaware. No taxes mother ####ers act like they never learned how to drive... probably didn't- no taxes, no driving school.. But the flat out worst drivers on individual basis are always from NJ- aggressive, pyschotic, vindictive. Those handful of truly horrible drivers outweigh all the rest of you good NJ drivers... sorry, Yankee.
NJ drivers are definitely horrible.

DC drivers are even worse though. You have a combo of the "nobody matters but me" NJ attitude along with a TON of foreign drivers from other governments. It's a nightmare.

The thing that has been getting me lately is heavy traffic on the freeway, we're all going about 15mph, and the guy in front of me is constantly texting and deliberately leaving 5 car lengths in front of him so he can text and not slam into the car in front. This allows anybody to cut into our lane making our lane the slowest.
Is it cool if I do this not b/c I'm texting but b/c I don't want to have to come to a stop every 30 secs? I just like to recline the chair back, throw a pillow behind my neck and glide through those few miles of traffic.

One of my biggest pet peeves is on my way home from work. The highway goes from a 2 lane highway to 3 with one being an exit ramp to another highway. Then, it becomes 4 lanes with that exit lane splitting into two lanes for two different highways. Problem is that 98% of all traffic wants off at that exit. And about 80% of that traffic wants to be in that far right hand lane.

I, on the other hand, just want the first exit lane, along with 20% of the traffic. Our highway has no traffic. But their highway does. So the far right lane comes to a dead stop. But my lane is loaded with people who don't feel like waiting in line in their lane and instead drive up as far as they can to try and cut in line. And since it's hard for them to find some idiot who eventually will let them in, they tend to sit, stopped in my lane blocking traffic. Eventually, my lane becomes a traffic jam, too.

Even better, eventually, people who want to get in the far right lane and not wait in that line, now realize they don't want to wait in the line that is now backed up trying to skip the line. So they go to the next lane and try to cut in to the cutter's lane.

The stretch of road is about 1 to 2 miles long and takes me about 20 minutes to navigate. Just thinking about it pisses me off. :hot:

What's best practice for merging in construction zones?

Say you're in the left lane which is blocked off up ahead. You still have a decent stretch of road before you reach the point where you have to merge. The right lane is backed up. Your lane is moving considerably better than the right lane. Do you stay in your lane as long as possible? Or merge right as soon as possible?

It seems like it's in everyone's best interest to use both lanes as long as possible. But cutting your way to the front is a #### move.

Say you're in the left lane which is blocked off up ahead. You still have a decent stretch of road before you reach the point where you have to merge. The right lane is backed up. Your lane is moving considerably better than the right lane. Do you stay in your lane as long as possible? Or merge right as soon as possible?

It seems like it's in everyone's best interest to use both lanes as long as possible. But cutting your way to the front is a #### move.
Traffic engineering shows it is best if everyone went to the point where you have to merge, but in reality best to move up to a point where you can see you can move in.

As long as possible. People really seem to have a hard time merging; they have to do it like a mile ahead of time. Its such a simple concept.

Traffic engineering shows it is best if everyone went to the point where you have to merge, but in reality best to move up to a point where you can see you can move in.
Oh Jesus...not this again...

There are MNDOT (MN dept of transportation) signs during construction season to use the "zipper" merge tactic. Using both lanes until the very end. So no, the guy going all the way down to the merge point is not the doosh, he's doing the correct thing.

The *&^% move is pulling out of the stopped lane to scurry up 5 cars and cut back in....

and traffic would move faster if everyone merged like a zipper and didnt try to get ahead by that 1 car.

As long as possible. People really seem to have a hard time merging; they have to do it like a mile ahead of time. Its such a simple concept.
Am I a #### for sitting in the middle of both lanes so no one can cut in front of me. I did it this morning, the guy was raging behind me who wanted to cut.

OMG yes this.

This is the truth. I drive from western/central NJ to the Morristown area every day. When I head east along I-78, I'm in with all the PA folks coming from Allentown/Easton. They really should just give these people their own lane and let them kill themselves off. Driving slow in the left lane...texting...shaving...putting on mascara...generally clueless.

Am I a #### for sitting in the middle of both lanes so no one can cut in front of me. I did it this morning, the guy was raging behind me who wanted to cut.
Yes, you are. You should have joined him in moving up to the proper merge point instead of personally contributing to a longer commute for everyone.

Yes, you are. You should have joined him in moving up to the proper merge point instead of personally contributing to a longer commute for everyone.
Not my commute.

I like the guy who cuts me off in highway traffic only to slow down after doing so.
Or his cousin, the guy who is going slow, sees that you're going to pass him, speeds up, and then after you pass him he goes back to driving slow again.
I always find it funny on long trips when I put the cruise control on and pass someone at about 10 mph, only for them to speed up and blast past me for a good 500 yards, then I pass them again, over and over. Meanwhile, my speed hasn't changed, this idiot is apparently upset that I'm passing him.
:goodposting:

Douchebags that get impatient when you're waiting to turn right on red. Listen ####er. You can't see what I see so don't think honking is going to get me to turn any faster.
Amplified by those that don't take into account the "No Turn On Red."

Mr. Too Important to wait in line while merging onto the highway from the ramp, so he just jumps the shoulder and cuts off the cars in front of him on the ramp. He rules.
Or the guy who in traffic who goes in to the left lane for 30 seconds and then has to go back into the right lane for his exit that is 1/2 mile away. Throw this on a road with a center lane, and it gets MORE FUN!!

When I get truly frustrated at the utter lack of common sense turning, merging, lane selection, etc..., I just think back to the last time I was at Wal-Mart and all the people I saw there. Those people and all those like them are out driving all the time. It is hopeless. Why even try or get too bothered?! I realize that it is me that is in the minority.

Users who are viewing this thread