What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manti Te'o's girlfriend who died... (1 Viewer)

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPNNotre Dame statement: "Notre Dame coaches informed Dec 26 by Manti Te’o & parents Manti had been victim of what appears to be a hoax"

Aside from :lol: the only thing I have to add is that Manti is not nearly as devout LDS as he makes it seem. He came to BYU on a recruiting trip and was eventually turned away, as he and his posse got drunk and the driver got pulled over for a DUI. BYU, with the Honor Code, did not want a piece of him. This is per the BYU football team doctor.
Yet Jim McMahon went there.

This is not a good story.
Not good as in inaccurate? I noticed that they hadn't talked to the principals yet, which bothered me a little. But if it's accurate, it's effin dynamite.
For him.
No, unless the fake dead girl really was his beard. Then, like Tobias said, he can come out and be in the public eye forever, which is always good for a couple of bucks.
Why not use a real life alive girl as a bird and go with the "I'm saving myself for marriage" excuse?Seems safer.
Yeah. But my guess is that if you're Manti Te'o and you're gay, you don't really sit down and plot this out with a PR team. You're already paranoid about people finding out, no reason to bring others into the fray. An idea presents itself that you don't have to share with anyone you don't trust, and you make a mistake and run with it.

Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamelND releases statement that says Te'o was a victim of a hoax: "a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators." Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamelND: "Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died.

Notre Dame Football · 352,285 like this4 minutes ago · Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators. Dennis Brown University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamelND releases statement that says Te'o was a victim of a hoax: "a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators." Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamelND: "Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died.
oofsomebody from the PR dept is getting ####-canned for such a lame response

Last edited by a moderator:
So now ND is claiming they learned about the hoax on Dec. 26th, but they were still letting the media repeat the story in January?

I'm going to wait until more facts come out and we get a clearer picture of who was deceiving whom, but this certainly explains some of his lackluster play and media participation vs. Alabama.

@celebrityhottub: To be fair, what was Notre Dame supposed to do when they saw her grave lying empty three days later?Jesus twitter is amazing right now.

I'm going to wait until more facts come out and we get a clearer picture of who was deceiving whom, but this certainly explains some of his lackluster play and media participation vs. Alabama.
Tom Crabtree@TCrabtree83 Guys. Don't jump to conclusions ok. Just like the Lance Armstrong thing where we thought he cheated but he didn't. Then he did.

Notre Dame Football · 352,285 like this4 minutes ago · Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators. Dennis Brown University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President
Hoaxed by the fake girlfriend that Te'o's dad says came out to visit the family in Hawaii?

So, Teo thinks he had a GF. The GF dies and he never follows up at all. He doesn't attend a memorial service or anything? Someone just tells him she died and he says, "oh, that sucks." It doesn't add up.

What more facts do you need?
Its easier for me to come up with a reason that makes sense (to me) that a random individual or group of individuals would seek out Te'o for an elaborate hoax versus Te'o perpetuating such a hoax upon others. So I'll wait to find out which is true and accept the whichever is the truth.

Its easier for me to come up with a reason that makes sense (to me) that a random individual or group of individuals would seek out Te'o for an elaborate hoax versus Te'o perpetuating such a hoax upon others. So I'll wait to find out which is true and accept the whichever is the truth.
I pray to God you dont actually believe that

Hoaxed by the fake girlfriend that Te'o's dad says came out to visit the family in Hawaii?
Maybe there was a real girl who went to Hawaii, who called herself Lennay Kekua, and then she disappeared after telling T'eo that she got cancer??:grasping:

Wow. :lmao:

Wow. :lmao:
:homer:

How would one get hoaxed into having a fake girlfriend that he never sees and then finds out she dies from leukemia and never follows up with the family, which might have led to him finding out about said hoax?Listen to this interview from him with Jim Rome (starting at the 4 minute mark where he starts talking about her) and tell me he wasn't in on it in some way: Link

So, Teo thinks he had a GF. The GF dies and he never follows up at all. He doesn't attend a memorial service or anything? Someone just tells him she died and he says, "oh, that sucks." It doesn't add up.
Meh. They weren't really that close.
Which is that Teo's new story would indicate. Which still makes him a con artist. If he didn't even care about this girl and wasn't even close to her, why would he drum up sympathy with this story? This is 10 levels of weird.

Users who are viewing this thread