What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MJD to Holdout (1 Viewer)

MJD can ask but that doesn't mean Khan needs to agree.

Don't know if the owner would see that as caving.

What do you think a team would really give for that guy?That's gonna be a tough trade
A couple thirds. Maybe a 2nd, at best.
They won't trade him for that. Let him pay the fines and sit out. When they are close to the trade deadline they trade him for a 3rd.
Probably not, but I don't know much about the owner or the GM. But, I was answering the question about what teams will offer. I don't think a team is going to offer anything above a 2nd rounder, at best, and I think it's more likely to be a package of picks, the highest of which would be in the third round.

Let the trade rumours begin. How fast could/would this get done if he will in fact be dealt?

I would have to agree that the frontrunners would be the falcons and lions (both in win now mode, like to throw the ball down the field, no star RB present, both in NFC). Pats, Jets, Steelers, Packers, Bengals could be in the mix, though none of them seem as good of a fit as atlanta or detroit (maybe the pats do). Anyone know if any of the above teams have cap room?

Pats released fanene today, before he ever played a snap for them, and saved close to a million against this years cap. Probably unrelated, but who knows.

Khan is in a tough spot. That's his best and most recognizable player, but he can't cave in to his first obstacle as the new owner. Every player who wants more money would follow suit.

Let the trade rumours begin. How fast could/would this get done if he will in fact be dealt?I would have to agree that the frontrunners would be the falcons and lions (both in win now mode, like to throw the ball down the field, no star RB present, both in NFC). Pats, Jets, Steelers, Packers, Bengals could be in the mix, though none of them seem as good of a fit as atlanta or detroit (maybe the pats do). Anyone know if any of the above teams have cap room?
Hang on, let me check the 2 posts above yours

While I believe Khan is right to hold firm in his stance, I find his comment about the train leaving the station rather disrespectful. This is (was?) the face of the franchise, not some faceless union worker.

Khan is in a tough spot. That's his best and most recognizable player, but he can't cave in to his first obstacle as the new owner. Every player who wants more money would follow suit.
Especially when he has quality players (Monroe,Darryl Smith, Jennings among others) who are in camp and are getting ready for their contract year.

Let the trade rumours begin. How fast could/would this get done if he will in fact be dealt?I would have to agree that the frontrunners would be the falcons and lions (both in win now mode, like to throw the ball down the field, no star RB present, both in NFC). Pats, Jets, Steelers, Packers, Bengals could be in the mix, though none of them seem as good of a fit as atlanta or detroit (maybe the pats do). Anyone know if any of the above teams have cap room?
Hang on, let me check the 2 posts above yours
Yes I see one saying the jets and the steelers probably don't have cap room.

Shad Khan is the Clint Eastwood of owners....man! Telling MJD the train is leaving the station and "Run! Get on it!"

Ballsy

Shad Khan is the Clint Eastwood of owners....man! Telling MJD the train is leaving the station and "Run! Get on it!"

Ballsy
Read as dumb. Maybe the Jaguars will have better luck in a better market :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
2 questions

Are the Jaguars fining him the 30,000 (or whatever it is) a day that they are allowed to fine him?

Do we really think MJD is going to miss any games (more specifically game checks)?

2 questionsAre the Jaguars fining him the 30,000 (or whatever it is) a day that they are allowed to fine him?Do we really think MJD is going to miss any games (more specifically game checks)?
1. Yes2. I hope not, but he is a bit of a wildcard

Shad Khan is the Clint Eastwood of owners....man! Telling MJD the train is leaving the station and "Run! Get on it!"Ballsy
I don't know about you but this isn't the best way to negotiate a deal. Sounds like an ultimatum to me.
Because Khan isn't interested in trying to negotiate a deal when MJD has two years left.
thank you. MJD is already under contract.
Literally, every player that holds out is under contract. What does that have to do with anything?

Shad Khan is the Clint Eastwood of owners....man! Telling MJD the train is leaving the station and "Run! Get on it!"Ballsy
I don't know about you but this isn't the best way to negotiate a deal. Sounds like an ultimatum to me.
Because Khan isn't interested in trying to negotiate a deal when MJD has two years left.
It's not just that he isn't interested in trying to negotiate, it's the way he is doing it. Why is he going public and trying to make MJD look like an ###? Just look at last years offensive stats. You don't do that to the entire offense, period. Be an owner and not a publicist!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
a deal is already in place - Why would the owner negotiate something that's already been negotiated?? Makes no sense.

I love an owner who takes a stand. Maybe the rest of them will follow suit.

Don't give in to him. Don't trade him. Let him rot.

It's not just that he isn't interested in trying to negotiate, it's the way he is doing it. Why is he going public and trying to make MJD look like an ###? Just look at last years offensive stats. You don't do that to the entire offense, period. Be an owner and not a publicist!!!!
Shad Khan is a self-made billionaire and not just barely a billionaire, he qualifies with plenty of extra. I bet he knows plenty about how to handle contract disputes.

that's on the players - he can't force MJD to show up.
Exactly. But, if he pays them, they will.
Just give all the players blank cheques. Good idea.This garbage of players holding out, who are making a ton of money and have multiple years on their contracts is ridiculous. They aren't winning no matter what. Plus he has zero choice but to play when the season starts. Yeah, maybe he'll sit out for 2 years but I'm guessing it's slightly unlikely.

It's all a matter of who is willing to pay him. No trade will get executed unless MJD first agrees to a contract with the new team.

So who'd be willing to make a splash like that? No chance in hell it will be the Steelers, Patriots, or any other steady, long-term-oriented organization.

The Jets are an obvious choice, and I'll bet Tannenbaum is combing the books as we speak. Washington? Detroit? Arizona?

Shad Khan is a self-made billionaire and not just barely a billionaire, he qualifies with plenty of extra. I bet he knows plenty about how to handle contract disputes.
Remember that guy that founder of Starbucks? Yes he is very business savvy and was also a self-made billionaire. Look how he destroyed the Sonics. He didn't listen to the players or the fans. Not all businesses are the same...

It does make a certain amount of sense. Rebuilding around a young qb, young wr, and defense, it doesn't really make sense to pay big money to an old running back. The issue with the owner's comments isn't that he made someone mad or hurt the negotiations, but that he hurt them publicly, which hurts the trade value, or the relationship with this player, and also his goodwill with other players. The hard line stance is great, and i agree with it in this case, but there's a line before people don't want to work for your organization, and publicly taunting players is on the wrong side of that line.

I believe the new owner is trying to set a precedence here -- no matter WHO you are, if you sign a contract with the Jaguars, you will honor it, or sit at home. No renegotiation. It's not just a message to MJD -- it's to everyone.

As for a trade. I'm an MJD owner in a few leagues, and would LOVE to see him almost anywhere but Jax. But I don't see it happening either. Khan could see it as caving in just as much as renegotiating a new contract. So I don't see it happening.

Users who are viewing this thread