What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (2 Viewers)

I agree with you that this NBA Finals is incredible.

But I got to thinking about this earlier, one of the best Finals I've seen. But what makes this Finals more incredible than any other? There have only been 2 close games of 6.

Does Game 6 make this Finals incredible?

Is it because we have a polarizing figure in LeBron, either you love him(and the Heat) or hate him(and the Heat)?

Is it because you have a Spurs team with 3 veterans and possibly the greatest PF ever, a team that displays a prime example of team basketball. Built vs Bought?

Or is it simply because it has lasted 7 games?

I know it's a combination of all of those things, but how often is a series that has 4 double digit margin final scores referred to as incredible.
The mix of close games plus blowout wins delivered by both teams makes the series compelling, IMO. As the series progressed, the only thing that became predictable was how unpredictable the games have become.

The principals on the court and on the benches have had unforgettable games and games they would rather forget.

A role player got so scorching hot, video game programmers were trying to adjust the settings on him. Then he regressed towards his mean when just another bucket or two could have closed out the series.

We've seen teams make 20 point leads disappear, and then disappear themselves.

We've seen an all-time great near the end of his career make you think you were watching him on ESPN Classic in the first half and do nothing down the stretch.

We've seen the most famous athlete in the sport, one of the most famous people in the entire world, do everything his fans say he can do yet also have the blips that make his detractors happy.

Plus all the stuff you said: two different eras and styles clashing, polarizing figures who love or hate make you care about the outcome, an Instant Classic Game 6 to set up the fans' favorite: Game 7.

With Game 7 approaching in a few hours, after all the unpredictable stuff that's happened, all the great plays we've seen, it feels right that these teams are in a 3-3 tie and need one last tiebreaker. And no one really knows what's going to happen. I'm going to watch every second because I'm a fan and historian of the sport, and I get to do it without hoping a particular play or outcome supports some preconceived notion I have about the sport. I'll just watch it and try to figure it all out afterwards. If there is anything to figure.
The fact that you and Tobias can intimately provide multiple answers to why this series has been great is an explanation in itself. There are just so many variables that make this Finals great, no matter who is crowned Champion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with most of this. In particular, I think that the bold is just more evidence of how advance the sport really is compared to 20 years ago.

If you think the NBA before this series looked like college, go watch a game on NBA Classic from the 80s or early 90s. The jump in the level of play is absolutely unreal. Games from the 80s look like HS jayvee games.
The downside is that it's been very discouraging for those of us who spend most of our time watching and rooting for lottery teams. I already know my team is a long way from contending; I didn't need it demonstrated quite this harshly.

This is also the first time since at least 2008 that the Finals have matched up two teams that are clearly the best in the league (since the Westbrook injury).
I don't see how this is much different from last year. You had the Rose injury which knocked the Bulls out of any talk. But then OKC beat the Spurs straight up. I guess OKC might not clearly have been the best team but I thought last years finals pitted the 2 best teams in the league and it was pretty good albeit seemingly not as competitive.

I'd agree with Ferris that it is just the craziness of the runs. And even the 20 point games seem relatively closer than the final score suggests.

This is also the first time since at least 2008 that the Finals have matched up two teams that are clearly the best in the league (since the Westbrook injury).
I don't see how this is much different from last year. You had the Rose injury which knocked the Bulls out of any talk. But then OKC beat the Spurs straight up. I guess OKC might not clearly have been the best team but I thought last years finals pitted the 2 best teams in the league and it was pretty good albeit seemingly not as competitive.

I'd agree with Ferris that it is just the craziness of the runs. And even the 20 point games seem relatively closer than the final score suggests.
The Spurs were three games better than the Thunder in the regular season last year. Not that regular season record is the be all end all, but it did leave me feeling kind of cheated that we didn't at least get a Spurs-Thunder WC final to decide it. This year's matchup felt almost inevitable in a way that last year's didn't at all. But yeah, last year definitely didn't feel like a weak matchup or anything.

Full disclosure- I missed Game 5 due to travel. I was able to listen to Hubie and Tirico call most of the second half on the radio and watched a little bit on DVR, but didn't watch any of it live. Maybe it sucked and my impression of the series would be different if I'd watched it.

I agree with you that this NBA Finals is incredible.

But I got to thinking about this earlier, one of the best Finals I've seen. But what makes this Finals more incredible than any other? There have only been 2 close games of 6.

Does Game 6 make this Finals incredible?

Is it because we have a polarizing figure in LeBron, either you love him(and the Heat) or hate him(and the Heat)?

Is it because you have a Spurs team with 3 veterans and possibly the greatest PF ever, a team that displays a prime example of team basketball. Built vs Bought?

Or is it simply because it has lasted 7 games?

I know it's a combination of all of those things, but how often is a series that has 4 double digit margin final scores referred to as incredible.
The mix of close games plus blowout wins delivered by both teams makes the series compelling, IMO. As the series progressed, the only thing that became predictable was how unpredictable the games have become.

The principals on the court and on the benches have had unforgettable games and games they would rather forget.

A role player got so scorching hot, video game programmers were trying to adjust the settings on him. Then he regressed towards his mean when just another bucket or two could have closed out the series.

We've seen teams make 20 point leads disappear, and then disappear themselves.

We've seen an all-time great near the end of his career make you think you were watching him on ESPN Classic in the first half and do nothing down the stretch.

We've seen the most famous athlete in the sport, one of the most famous people in the entire world, do everything his fans say he can do yet also have the blips that make his detractors happy.

Plus all the stuff you said: two different eras and styles clashing, polarizing figures who love or hate make you care about the outcome, an Instant Classic Game 6 to set up the fans' favorite: Game 7.

With Game 7 approaching in a few hours, after all the unpredictable stuff that's happened, all the great plays we've seen, it feels right that these teams are in a 3-3 tie and need one last tiebreaker. And no one really knows what's going to happen. I'm going to watch every second because I'm a fan and historian of the sport, and I get to do it without hoping a particular play or outcome supports some preconceived notion I have about the sport. I'll just watch it and try to figure it all out afterwards. If there is anything to figure.
:sportsboner:

ESPN just reported that the NBA is looking into the Clippers/Celtics possibly making a deal involving Rivers. Apparently you can't do that at all.

ESPN just reported that the NBA is looking into the Clippers/Celtics possibly making a deal involving Rivers. Apparently you can't do that at all.
Really? They can't agree to let a coach out of his contract? You would think they would trade Garnett for everything, then let Doc walk.

Really? They can't agree to let a coach out of his contract? You would think they would trade Garnett for everything, then let Doc walk.
You would think. I imagine it will get worked out somehow, but the current idea that Jordan and Garnett get traded and then the clippers send two firsts to Boston for nothing in return in another transaction isn't going to fly.

Of course they can let him out of his contract. They can't make a deal that is contingent on letting him go or involves a side agreement to let him go (according to the ESPN report).

You would think. I imagine it will get worked out somehow, but the current idea that Jordan and Garnett get traded and then the clippers send two firsts to Boston for nothing in return in another transaction isn't going to fly.
Too bad. I was liking that deal. Hope it goes through.

I don't think its the compensation for Rivers thats the issue. Its the whole KG deal being contingent on the Rivers deal.

ETA: I guess it is both.

League rules not only prohibit coaches from being formally "traded" but likewise prevent teams from making any trade or free-agent signing with contingencies or side deals attached.

I don't think its the compensation for Rivers thats the issue. Its the whole KG deal being contingent on the Rivers deal.

ETA: I guess it is both.

League rules not only prohibit coaches from being formally "traded" but likewise prevent teams from making any trade or free-agent signing with contingencies or side deals attached.
Well sheet!

I don't see how this is much different from last year. You had the Rose injury which knocked the Bulls out of any talk. But then OKC beat the Spurs straight up. I guess OKC might not clearly have been the best team but I thought last years finals pitted the 2 best teams in the league and it was pretty good albeit seemingly not as competitive.I'd agree with Ferris that it is just the craziness of the runs. And even the 20 point games seem relatively closer than the final score suggests.
The Spurs were three games better than the Thunder in the regular season last year. Not that regular season record is the be all end all, but it did leave me feeling kind of cheated that we didn't at least get a Spurs-Thunder WC final to decide it. This year's matchup felt almost inevitable in a way that last year's didn't at all. But yeah, last year definitely didn't feel like a weak matchup or anything.

Full disclosure- I missed Game 5 due to travel. I was able to listen to Hubie and Tirico call most of the second half on the radio and watched a little bit on DVR, but didn't watch any of it live. Maybe it sucked and my impression of the series would be different if I'd watched it.
I thought we did get an OKC/Spurs WCF. Admittedly, I didn't pay too much attention last year til the finals.

I'm not sure why anyone cares when the fans show up. They bought the tickets as entertainment - if they mosey in late because they had dinner or got home from work a few minutes late, so be it. I imagine getting to a Dodgers game for a 7:05 start is probably pretty tough for anyone that works til 5.

Leaving early, however, is awful. Particularly in the playoffs.

I'm not sure why anyone cares when the fans show up. They bought the tickets as entertainment - if they mosey in late because they had dinner or got home from work a few minutes late, so be it. I imagine getting to a Dodgers game for a 7:05 start is probably pretty tough for anyone that works til 5.

Leaving early, however, is awful. Particularly in the playoffs.
Traffic sucks.

Pat O'Brien interviewed Tony Fiorentino (Heat TV analyst) on Fox Sports Radio a little while ago.

Tony said that the Spurs' three future Hall-of-Famers were taking on the Heat's three future Hall-of-Famers.

:oldunsure:

Please tell me he meant Allen and not Bosh.

Pat O'Brien interviewed Tony Fiorentino (Heat TV analyst) on Fox Sports Radio a little while ago.

Tony said that the Spurs' three future Hall-of-Famers were taking on the Heat's three future Hall-of-Famers.

the heat have four hall of famers. I don't care for bosh much, but he is a 19/9 career guy with a ring, a gold medal, and 8 all star selections. Not sure anyone comparable is not in the hall.

the heat have four hall of famers. I don't care for bosh much, but he is a 19/9 career guy with a ring, a gold medal, and 8 all star selections. Not sure anyone comparable is not in the hall.
But he's not in NOW, right? Allen is a no-brainer.

But he's not in NOW, right? Allen is a no-brainer.
I think he is. Seriously, are there any other 8 time all stars with a ring who aren't in? Gilmore is close but I don't think he has a ring.

Users who are viewing this thread